• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We should change Ontario's flag

impirius

No, because that one is reaaaaally hard to draw

a3PQOv0.jpg
"lol iunno just bein a nazi or w/e"

I like this design by AY Jackson.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/FsCd0f3.jpg[/IMG]

It was one of the proposed flags for Canada and has the three leafs like Ontario's flag. The blue at the bottom could symbolize the great lakes and the blue above, Hudson's bay.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
And the current flag screams Ontario and is super unique?

Yes, red ensigns were most prominently used by Canada, the British Raj, and the Union of South Africa from 1910-1928 on land. It's unique enough for its purpose as Ontario is the most populous jurisdiction that still uses one on land by far.

It's an early symbol of Canada, but a symbol of Canada it remains. Doesn't have to be your favourite symbol given its origin, but it does the job. I also don't think all British symbolism needs to all of a sudden be purged.

I think Canada should eventually ditch all ties to the monarchy. It's pretty much a medieval relic at this point. The European countries like Spain with a monarchy should also dump it because it's obscene how the country as a whole is in an economic crisis yet one family lives in luxury just because their ancestors were top of the feudal system. It would save a lot of money. It outweighs the preservation of history IMO. Also nobody cares about most European monarchs anyway, never heard a Dutch person even care about their monarch for example. I wonder if not having a monarchy would benefit the national psyche of the UK because it seems the traditional class system is still extremely powerful here.

If getting rid of the monarchy means an elected or an important president, then no thanks. But if it's a ceremonial role then ok.

Sean C

Well, leaving aside that the Queen has little power over Canada (and that we should continue to distance ourselves regardless of her influence or lack thereof), the crown is a symbol of imperialism and oppression to many minority groups in Canada who have been violated by our government who has been granted authority by the crown, most notably to indigenous individuals (60s Scoop, residential schools), Chinese immigrants and Japanese Canadians. Distancing ourselves from the crown may be a symbolic gesture that fails to respond to the issues that plague that portion of our country's civilians, but its symbolic importance is worth the effort.
That makes no sense. I can think of any number of reasons why one might support republicanism, but the idea that becoming a republic is somehow a meaningful symbolic gesture to minority groups in the country has no real basis. It was the Canadian state that did those things; that state will still be around, whether it's a monarchy or a republic. Indeed, the Crown, such as it was, had less to do with those things than the citizens of Canada.

As to the OP, virtually all the provincial flags of Canada were rush jobs created in the 1960s, mostly in consequence of the national flag debate. PEI's, which some people have mocked here, is just the provincial coat of arms reshaped onto a flag, and several of the others are primarily about putting the provincial coat of arms on some sort of backdrop.

PEI has the worst flag

straight MS Paint trash

NAVA survey scores and rankings

3. Quebec 8.04
12. Nova Scotia 7.06
17. Nuavut. 6.72
18. New Brunswick 6.68
20. Labrador 6.45
21. PEI 6.30
24. British Columbia 6.28
25, Newfoundland 6.24
26. Saskatchewan 6.22
30. North West Territories 5.89
31. Yukon 5.86
35. Alberta 5.00
43. Ontario 4.64
44. Manitoba 4.60

Sometimes you gotta break the rules to achieve great design. That's why Maryland is so great.

It's a mix of two battle standard. Lord Baltimore's and his wife's.
Truly horrifying, which after all was the original intent.

Those Baltimore Orioles uniform? Perfectly captures the covered in vomit look.

The city of Detroit is in flames because "We hope for better things" and so that "It will rise from its ashes".

Devils night was pretty fucked in Ontario when I grew up there. We used to just do dumb shit like egg houses when we were kids but lots of people liked to light cats on fire and do all sorts of bad things to animals. It became such a thing where I lived that you knew to keep your animals inside the house on Devils night.

Top Bottom