• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We should change Ontario's flag

Mr.Mike

t43ReZQ.png

I like it

I was waiting for this to show up. Thank you for taking up this essential work.

Mr.Mike

This without the green bars on either side would be best.:

Already see this all over the place in Ottawa:

This one might be my favourite.

The second one is the flag Franco-Ontarians, but I'd be fine with making it provincial flag. My area has a huge French history, and there's still a town in the county where a lot of people speak French.

Sakura

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I said the majority of British Columbians oppose the abolishment of the monarchy and so why should we remove the union jack from our flag. I don't see how that disagrees with what I said. (example https://www.forumresearch.com/forms...ses/48741_Monarchy_Poll_(Forum_Research)_.pdf)
Also, your poll shows it is 50% of Canadians want to cut ties, which is not a majority.
Not only that, that article essentially boils down to:

1 - Get rid of the British monarchy and replace with a Canadian monarchy.

Or

2 - Create and elected president like position, and end up spending far greater amounts of money on this new position, than what we already contribute to the crown.

I honestly don't see the point in creating an office that ends up having us spend more of our money on it.

CazTGG

I said the majority of British Columbians oppose the abolishment of the monarchy and so why should we remove the union jack from our flag. I don't see how that disagrees with what I said. (example https://www.forumresearch.com/forms...ses/48741_Monarchy_Poll_(Forum_Research)_.pdf)
Also, your poll shows it is 50% of Canadians want to cut ties, which is not a majority.

The poll the article cites states the following:

53 per cent of us think it may soon be time to bid farewell to the monarch as our head of state.

That aside, as I stated before, the crown is a symbol of imperialism and oppression to various minorities throughout all of Canada, so removing it would be a symbolic gesture to distance Canada from its colonial past.

Sakura

The poll the article cites states the following:

That aside, as I stated before, the crown is a symbol of imperialism and oppression to various minorities throughout all of Canada, so removing it would be a symbolic gesture to distance Canada from its colonial past.

Where is the poll the article cites? The very video in the article specifically writes 50%.

Edit: Googling that quote tells me you are referencing an older poll

CazTGG

Where is the poll the article cites? The very video in the article specifically writes 50%.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/majorit...rchy-when-queen?language_content_entity=en-ca

The poll also found that 51% of British Columbians believe the ties to the monarchy should be cut, a more recent figure than the one you cited before.

Canadians appear conflicted on the role that the monarchy has or should have in Canada. While six in ten (60%) `agree' (26% strongly/34% somewhat) that `the Queen and the Royal Family should not have any formal role in Canadian society' and that the `royals are simply celebrities and nothing more...

Sakura

https://www.ipsos.com/en-ca/majorit...rchy-when-queen?language_content_entity=en-ca

The poll also found that 51% of British Columbians believe the ties to the monarchy should be cut, a more recent figure than the one you cited before.

Both articles are citing the same survey (I assume the 61% is a typing error in the first article given that the wording is almost identical to that of the Ipsos poll):

No they aren't. Read the bottom of the articles. From the original article you posted
This Ipsos poll on behalf of Global News was an online survey of 1,004 Canadians conducted between May 19 and 23, 2017.
From the older one your 53% quote comes from:
This poll was conducted between Dec. 15 and Dec. 21, 2016, with a sample of 3,004 Canadians from Ipsos' online panel who were interviewed online.

This is the poll cited in the original article you posted, specifically coming from the section on monarchy: https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/2017-06/Canada%20150-report-2017-07-01.pdf

I like how in the poll 50% of Canadians think we should cut ties with the British Monarchy, while 60% of Canadians think "The constitutional monarchy helps to define Canadian identity and should continue to be our form of government". Do the additional 10% come from people who think we should have a Canadian Monarchy or something?

Was just thinking this. Yeah, it's about time.

Love the idea of incorporating the trillium design. Its a symbol for Ontario anyways, and it follows the Maple Leaf in using natural imagery as a symbol.

It's pretty nice, but we'd be riffing off the national flag. I like the one with the horizontal green and yellow stripes, which is what I was going for with my crayons.

The one with the yellow looks good when drawn, but I think it might be too bright in the sun. We'd have to see a real version to be sure.

Edit: actually, on second thought, it does look nice. Let's change it. xD

Parch

Quebec's flag is the only nice one. Ontario's is trash.
Quebec's is good. I like Nunavut and Newfoundland's too.

I don't have a problem with a traditional coat of arms type flag, but we're way past having a union jack on our flags. Better to modernize and create something unique to the province if the design is looking dated.

Flux

I was getting my new license updated this morning and was just thinking about this. Staring at the three dudes chilling in a hot tub for a good two hours will do that. I wouldn't mind retouching the trillium logo.

hobozero

Man having the Union Jack on there still, is pathetic.

Oh well at least you got a real flag for your country.. unlike OZ and NZ

Man, NZ had some sick looking flags to choose from in that referendum.

kFR3FQb.png

Too bad they voted to stick with the old one, but that's democracy for ya ;)

Mr.Mike

Man, NZ had some sick looking flags to choose from in that referendum.

kFR3FQb.png

Too bad they voted to stick with the old one, but that's democracy for ya ;)

Was the referendum structured such that there was one question for whether or not to change the flag and a second one for what the new flag ought to be?

I feel like the way to do this would be to just go straight to the second question which includes the old flag, so as to avoid status quo bias.

Madness

Use meaningful symbolism. Oh good, let's put a bunch of English stuff on the flag so we can glorify genocide

Will it blow your mind if I tell you the Queen of England is still Canada's head of state? Have you seen the BC flag? You realize Canada is also still part of the commonwealth right. It isn't about glorifying genocide but retaining a tie to the United Kingdom as Canada is a former colony and official formal title is still Dominion of Canada...

Mr.Mike

Will it blow your mind if I tell you the Queen of England is still Canada's head of state? Have you seen the BC flag? You realize Canada is also still part of the commonwealth right. It isn't about glorifying genocide but retaining a tie to the United Kingdom as Canada is a former colony and official formal title is still Dominion of Canada...

Canada is a better country than England, we don't need that fuccboi shit.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
90% of Canadians live within 100 miles of the US Border. They definitely have a lot more culturally in common with Americans than Brits. Only thing they have in common with the Brits is the use of the metric system

And kettles.

mdubs

Banned
Do we even see the Ontario flag enough to really care? I can settle with having the GOAT national flag already

I think Canada should eventually ditch all ties to the monarchy. It's pretty much a medieval relic at this point. The European countries like Spain with a monarchy should also dump it because it's obscene how the country as a whole is in an economic crisis yet one family lives in luxury just because their ancestors were top of the feudal system. It would save a lot of money. It outweighs the preservation of history IMO. Also nobody cares about most European monarchs anyway, never heard a Dutch person even care about their monarch for example. I wonder if not having a monarchy would benefit the national psyche of the UK because it seems the traditional class system is still extremely powerful here.

I think Canada should eventually ditch all ties to the monarchy. It's pretty much a medieval relic at this point. The European countries like Spain with a monarchy should also dump it because it's obscene how the country as a whole is in an economic crisis yet one family lives in luxury just because their ancestors were top of the feudal system. It would save a lot of money. It outweighs the preservation of history IMO. Also nobody cares about most European monarchs anyway, never heard a Dutch person even care about their monarch for example. I wonder if not having a monarchy would benefit the national psyche of the UK because it seems the traditional class system is still extremely powerful here.

Royal_Phalanx

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It's like uncreative UK and English immigrants fought over which flag to use and compromised by using both.

Top Bottom