• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We should change Ontario's flag

I don't mind the Union Jack on the BC flag because it makes sense since we are British Columbia after all.

It's time for Canada to distance themselves from the Queen imo. All the USA kept similar to the Brits after the American Revolution was the red white and blue color scheme of the flags.

6jImnk8.png

Fixed

The Los Angeles flag has not just one, but two flags within its flag. Xzibit would be proud.

The colors also represent olive trees, oranges and vineyards so we gotta make sure we got an actual olive, orange and grapes inside the seal for good measure lest people forget!

The "a child should be able to draw it" rule has always been silly.

How many people - let alone children - can accurately draw all 50 stars on the US flag in the right pattern, or get all three crosses on the Union Flag in the correct alignment?

I think the point is that a 5 year old can draw it and still be recognizable. Even if it's just a shitty drawing by a kid.

Mr.Mike

The "a child should be able to draw it" rule has always been silly.

How many people - let alone children - can accurately draw all 50 stars on the US flag in the right pattern, or get all three crosses on the Union Flag in the correct alignment?

A child should at least be able to draw something recognizable as the flag. I could never draw the maple leaf, but you know what you're looking at when you see two vertical red stripes with a red thing in between.

The Red Ensign isn't really conducive to that.

Mr.Mike

The Los Angeles flag has not just one, but two flags within its flag. Xzibit would be proud.

The colors also represent olive trees, oranges and vineyards so we gotta make sure we got an actual olive, orange and grapes inside the seal for good measure lest people forget!

This would actually be a really great flag if they took out the seal and had the confidence to not label it. LA is a huge and influential city, people ought to know that it's the LA flag without a dumb label.

Nobody is going to post the old Ontario flag?

There is no older flag? I wasn't joking when I said the Ontario flag was introduced out of spite because the federal government got rid of the old Canadian red ensign flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Ontario

This would actually be a really great flag if they took out the seal and had the confidence to not label it. LA is a huge and influential city, people ought to know that that's the LA flag without a dumb label.

Exactly my thought. I actually emailed Mayor Garcetti about it. He seems to be the kind of mayor that is receptive to this kind of thing. I also pointed put that great flags tend to be prominently used by locals, unlike the LA flag which is nowhere to be seen.

Darknight

WTF are the 5 basic rules of flag design? Best I can tell it's something some designer thought up in 2015? The Ontario flag has been the same for over 50 years, and it's based on the old Canadian flag that was in use for 100 years before that. That sense of tradition and continuity is going to trump "good design practices" every time.

Geez, somebody better break it to Mexico that their flag sucks, I guess:

Not everything has to confirm to 21st century minimalist design principals. Might as well say Parliament hill is over-designed and move the government into an old Zellers.

Im not Mexican but they have a sweet ass flag. Way better than the canadia one on the OP.

I think the point is that a 5 year old can draw it and still be recognizable. Even if it's just a shitty drawing by a kid.

I'm sure a 5 year old's drawing of Ontario's flag would be recognisable. Plenty of kids can do shitty drawings our flag without much difficulty, and I'd say they're comparable.

The only reason it bugs me was because we recently went through a convoluted flag referendum and the whole "a kid should be able to draw it" argument kept coming up time and again, and then they'd submit countless flags with the silver fern which is way more complex than anything currently on the flag.

Anyway, I think we really missed an opportunity.

1458789265712.png

Sakura

Three dudes sitting in a hot tub.
Damn
Time to rename to Canadian Columbia.
BC rolls off the tongue way better and is so ingrained I don't see it ever changing.
It's time for Canada to distance themselves from the Queen imo. All the USA kept similar to the Brits after the American Revolution was the red white and blue color scheme of the flags.

What is the flag of Hawaii again?
And why should Canada distance itself from the Queen, when unlike the USA the head of state of Canada is the Queen?

Mr.Mike

I completely agree. Our flag is outdated, and doesn't represent us.

If we leave if up to a referendum, it'll never change. Just ask Australia, and Canada in the '60s.

Oh, and if Wynne changes it, that will result in us having to deal with at least 5 fucking years of Tory rule. -_-

No listen, here's the plan. We have a referendum, but we skip the question of whether we should have a new flag or not and just go straight to having a vote to pick a flag. In this referendum we also include a bunch of other red ensign flags, and this will dilute the vote for the original flag because nobody actually knows which one it is.

CazTGG

Time to rename to Canadian Columbia.

You joke, but i'd be fine with renaming B.C. and it's been suggested in the past...albeit, it's a suggestion to which most have answered with hostility.

I'm also in favor of ridding the Queen off our coins and bills; give one to Tecumseh, the other to Pierre Trudeau.

And why should Canada distance itself from the Queen, when unlike the USA the head of state of Canada is the Queen?

Well, leaving aside that the Queen has little power over Canada (and that we should continue to distance ourselves regardless of her influence or lack thereof), the crown is a symbol of imperialism and oppression to many minority groups in Canada who have been violated by our government who has been granted authority by the crown, most notably to indigenous individuals (60s Scoop, residential schools), Chinese immigrants and Japanese Canadians. Distancing ourselves from the crown may be a symbolic gesture that fails to respond to the issues that plague that portion of our country's civilians, but its symbolic importance is worth the effort.

The Red Ensign is a relic of Birtish colonialism kept alive today due to the stubbornness of a Tory Conservative minded faction of the country who don't want to let go of royal symbols

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Damn

BC rolls off the tongue way better and is so ingrained I don't see it ever changing.

What is the flag of Hawaii again?

How about the British royals stop being "the head of state of Canada"?

Sakura

How about the British royals stop being "the head of state of Canada"?

I don't see what that has to do with my post.
The guy is comparing us to the USA saying they removed all references to the Queen (when they haven't really) from their shit, but why would we be removing references to the Queen when the Queen is still the head of state?
References to the head of state are hardly something strange. If you want to change to a republic or something then cool, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Tories gonna Tory.

Hell, Harper took down a local artist's painting for a fucking portrait of the Queen.

Harper even renamed the armed force's name by adding the fucking word "Royal" before it.

Conservatives, Tories, Protestants still hold an irrational erection of maintaining the Monarchy.

God Bless PM Lester Pearson for giving us our own flag

Mr.Mike

The guy is comparing us to the USA saying they removed all references to the Queen (when they haven't really) from their shit, but why would we be removing references to the Queen when the Queen is still the head of state?
References to the head of state are hardly something strange. If you want to change to a republic or something then cool, but that is an entirely different discussion.

Because our real head of state for all practical purposes is the Governor General. And a lot of people, especially in French-speaking Canada, but also people like my friends Irish grandma who doesn't have citizenship because she refuses to swear an oath to the Queen, are super not about the British monarchy. And then in English speaking Canada a bunch of people don't even know we have a Queen.

Sakura

Tories gonna Tory.

Hell, Harper took down a local artist's painting for a fucking portrait of the Queen.

Harper even renamed the armed force's name by adding the fucking word "Royal" before it.

Conservatives, Tories, Protestants still hold an irrational erection of maintaining the Monarchy.

God Bless PM Lester Pearson for giving us our own flag

No he didn't. The Canadian Armed Forces are still called that. Only the Navy and Air Force within the armed forces was reverted to the name that contained the Royal.

Make Harper your head of state, and get off the Queens sagging teet. She doesn't do anything anyway

Sakura

Because our real head of state for all practical purposes is the Governor General. And a lot of people, especially in French-speaking Canada, but also people like my friends Irish grandma who doesn't have citizenship because she refuses to swear an oath to the Queen, are super not about the British monarchy. And then in English speaking Canada a bunch of people don't even know we have a Queen.

The thread is about provincial flags. Quebec doesn't like the monarchy. Everybody knows that. However, polling shows provinces like BC do not support abolishing the monarchy, so again why would we remove references to it from our flag?

Make Harper your head of state, and get off the Queens sagging teet. She doesn't do anything anyway
I have never understood that argument. Many countries have heads of states that 'don't do anything', even amongst countries that are not monarchies.

You should know, you're his biggest fan
I would hope that you don't have to be a Harper fan to know what our armed forces are called but alas...

Top Bottom