• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wedbush Morgan - April NPD Preview w/ HW estimates (predicts sales up 24%)

Borys

Banned
Sony is pathetic (pricedrop or die), Wii is king (without Mario and Zelda!!!) but I am more interested in why oh why 360 is going down the slope with each passing month?

Didn't even Halo 3 beta help it?

AniHawk

Borys said:
Wii is king (without Mario and Zelda!!!)

And by that you mean, without Mario AND Zelda, right? Emphasis on the AND?

I think with regards to the 360, MS is running out of customers that will spend $400 for their system. They've stayed there long enough though.

but I am more interested in why oh why 360 is going down the slope with each passing month?

It's obvious. Price-point saturation coupled with build-quality issues. 360 will continue to decrease month-on-month until they either drop the price, get the 65nm buils out, or both.

Just IMO.
Edit : Anihawk
I think with regards to the 360, MS is running out of customers that will spend $400 for their system. They've stayed there long enough though.

QFT, and more succintly put too :D

jet1911

Borys said:
Sony is pathetic (pricedrop or die), Wii is king (without Mario and Zelda!!!) but I am more interested in why oh why 360 is going down the slope with each passing month?

Didn't even Halo 3 beta help it?

We'll see that next month I guess.

Arsenal

unomas said:
It seems pretty clear to me that MS doesn't have the slightest clue as to what is going on with the American consumer. Have ya seen gas prices lately? :lol

My 360 runs on gas now? I knew something was up!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The wii PS3 difference is incredible.

If this preview is accurate, is it too soon to say the PS3 is tanking? (historical like, based on what happened last generations etc) Hows it performing compared to the Gamecube so far?

Evlar

Banned
catfish said:

If this preview is accurate, is it too soon to say the PS3 is tanking? (historical like, based on what happened last generations etc) Hows it performing compared to the Gamecube so far?
If it hits 100k it's at GameCube levels. If it gets lower than that... I don't know, honestly. How low did the Cube get in the middle of its lifespan? 2002-2004?

Saitou

Banned
catfish said:

Worse.

A lot worse.

edit: whoops, forgot this was NPD. See above post.

AniHawk said:
I think with regards to the 360, MS is running out of customers that will spend $400 for their system.

I think that their thought is that there's a decent sized group that is ready to pay $400 when Halo 3 comes out.

Get H3 out in September and sell systems to Halo fans before the next price cut.

Price cut in November (too late for those September buyers to make returns or get price adjustments!) for the big holiday season.

My speculation is that the entire 'Halo in September' plan is all about this.

catfish said:
Better per month this year, but not enough to make up for how much worse it did compared to GameCube in November/December.

Saitou

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I think that their thought is that there's a decent sized group that is ready to pay $400 when Halo 3 comes out.

Get H3 out in September and sell systems to Halo fans before the next price cut.

Price cut in November (too late for those September buyers to make returns or get price adjustments!) for the big holiday season.

Sounds about right.

Though I still think H3 will move more units after the price cut.

Even though this is a prediction thread, I find it funny that people are just now realizing that the 360 isn't doing as well as it should at this point in its life.

catfish said:

Gamecube tanked at $199, $149, & $99.

The PS3 not selling with only a sku @ $600 isn't so much tanking as not available most consumers yet based on income and budget.

The PS3 has probably have a dozen price drops to go through over the next 6 years.

They situations are worlds apart despite the inferences the people desperate to create an assocation are looking to put forth.

I'm not excusing the pathetic performace of the PS3, as I think ~most thought the first 6M would be a bit easier than this. However, you can't compare it to the Gamecube's performace until we see adoption based on a few more price points given it's excessive price tag. (Unless you believe that the price drops over the next 2 years won't have an effect combined with highly anticipated titles).

PS3 is in a perilous position, and it's gotten embarresed, but it's more than a bit premature to throw in the towel at this point on them. It might be fun for some, but not exactly valid analytically (to me anyway).

SonSon2

DeaconKnowledge said:
Even though this is a prediction thread, I find it funny that people are just now realizing that the 360 isn't doing as well as it should at this point in its life.

Well, Virtua Fighter 5 for the 360 should solve that little problem.

sonycowboy said:

The PS3 not selling with only a sku @ $600 isn't so much tanking as not available most consumers yet based on income and budget.

The PS3 has probably have a dozen price drops to go through over the next 6 years.

They situations are worlds apart despite the inferences the people desperate to create an assocation are looking to put forth.

I'm not excusing the pathetic performace of the PS3, as I think ~most thought the first 6M would be a bit easier than this. However, you can't compare it to the Gamecube's performace until we see adoption based on a few more price points given it's excessive price tag. (Unless you believe that the price drops over the next 2 years won't have an effect combined with highly anticipated titles).

PS3 is in a perilous position, and it's gotten embarresed, but it's more than a bit premature to throw in the towel at this point on them. It might be fun for some, but not exactly valid analytically (to me anyway).

Wow SC, I completely disagree.

Agreed, the pricedrops didn't affect GameCube's success, but that had more to do with the consoles perceived value as opposed to it's cost. GameCube was already the cheapest console out, people weren't waiting for a price-drop.

The PS3, on the other hand, is the most expensive console out right now, and as a result it's landed itself into a weird position: For every month that it languishes, developers will shy away from it as a viable platform. The first year of this systems life are absolutely crucial as a result, because if something is not done, the two competing systems will completely leapfrog it for mindshare. And no amount of price-drops will cure the "PS3 has no games" stigma, especially at that price.

If the PS3 doesn't start selling in the next month or two, I know I personally will say it tanked.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
sonycowboy said:
PS3 is in a perilous position, and it's gotten embarresed, but it's more than a bit premature to throw in the towel at this point on them.
Not in the US or Europe, but it wouldn't be too premature in Japan (where it's already at a cheaper price point).

Flyguy

The 360 isn't moving as much hardware as I'm sure MS would like. But given the fact that the 360 as a platform moves an ungodly amount of software I wouldn't be that surprised if MS maintained the status quo until 2008. Based on last quarter's numbers, it would appear MS has done a terrible job of getting the cost of the 360 down. If they're sincere in their stated goal to make the H&E division profitable, they may well ride out another Christmas at these price points. They moved more than a million units last December without GTA4 and Halo 3, I'm sure they could do it again with those titles and several other key ones. I don't think they're as concerned with Sony anymore as they are with Nintendo, and I don't know that they can compete with Nintendo unless they're the same price, which may never happen. I think they'd be happier as a profitable 2nd place this gen than a loss-leader in 1st place.

XiaNaphryz said:
Not in the US or Europe, but it wouldn't be too premature in Japan (where it's already at a cheaper price point).

Well, IMO, Japan has had the worst software for a region of anybody. When Gundam, VF5, & RR7 are your headliners, you know you're missing covering your bases. At least in the US/Europe you've got Resistance, Motorstorm, F1 & the EA/ATVI/Take-Two titles out there.

It's certainly pretty bad there, but a price drop wouldn't have much of a lasting effect at all, IMO.

DeaconKnowledge said:
If the PS3 doesn't start selling in the next month or two, I know I personally will say it tanked.

Then you're probably already saying it. Because NOTHING is going to change the sales pattern until either a price drop or the holidays, if Sony's stubborn enough and stupid enough to wait that long. But even then, the holidays would only be a fraction of what they could be with a lower price

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:

Thanks.

As to the perilous position, isn't it also true that historically the winner stayed the winner and the loser stayed the loser? I remember a sales regular posting that before.

Either way, it's definitely not to early to stay that this generation is shaking out waaay different than most pictured it.

C4Lukins

DeaconKnowledge said:

It is still doing fine. It has been consistantly doing the same sales without a single pricedrop for 18 months now. Of course Japan and parts of Europe are a different story. But the 360 is never going to sell 300k a month consistantly at its pricepoint, there really is no chance of it doing any better then it is now with the exception of months with Halo like releases or during the hollidays. What exactly should it be selling right now?

beermonkey@tehbias said:

I think you may have decoded the MSFT strategy.

Lots of high margin 360 sales based on H3 and GTA 4 in September & October to the avid gamers.

Then a price-cut in November and maybe the addition of Banjo-Kazooie 3 to get the more casual gaming crowd just before Christmas. (That price-cut will pound a few more nails into a large coffin.)

Well, if that isn't the MSFT strategy, it damn well should be their strategy.

DeaconKnowledge said:

Who is the great decider that determines how the 360 should be selling?

I'm sure MSFT would like it to be selling better than it is . . . but that is true for all consoles & console makers. But it is actually selling (a tiny bit) better than the previous xbox at this point. And it is certainly selling MUCH better than the PS3. However, it is getting its butt kicked by the Wii.

But all things considered, the 360 is selling pretty darn well for a $400 console. But if they want to take it to the next level a price drop is clearly required.

(And if a $400 console is too expensive, imagine the situation of a $600 console.)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
theBishop said:
He told CheapyD and Wombat on the Cagcast that he checks NeoGaf regularly. :)

I wouldn't be that surprised if he was a regular forumer, especially someone who participates in the NPD and Media Create Threads to get a gauge of trends.

milanbaros

Member?
theBishop said:
He told CheapyD and Wombat on the Cagcast that he checks NeoGaf regularly. :)

I'd laugh if it was spwolf. He's been so far out all this time because he has only just been told how the NPD calander works.

Xabora

apujanata said:
Do you have the pricedrops for other platform, such as GBA, DS, PSP, GC ?

PS2 Price Drops:
# US$299.99 (October 26, 2000, release date) (CAD$449.99)
# US$199.99 (May 14, 2002) (CAD$299.99)
# US$179.99 (August 18, 2003, official pricing)
# US$149.99 (May 11, 2004) (CAD$179.99)
# US$129.99 (April 20, 2006) (CAD$139.99)

Xbox Price Drops:
* US$299 (November 15, 2001, Launch Price) (CAD$449)
* US$199 (May 15, 2002) (CAD$299)
* US$179 (May 14, 2003) (CAD$249)
* US$149 (March 29, 2004) (CAD$199)

GameBoy Advance Price Drops:
* June 2001 - March 2003 US$99.99
* March 2003 - September 2004 US$79.99
* September 2004 - November 2004 US$59.99
* November 2004 - August 2005 US$54.99
* August 2005 - $39.99US

DS Price Drops:
* 21 November 2004 - November 2005 $149.99 (MSRP)
* 21 August 2005 - present $129.99 (MSRP)

PSP Price Drops:
* US$199.99 Date Lost
* US$169.99 April 30, 2007

Gamecube Price Drops:
* US$199.99 (November 18, 2001, Launch Price) (CAD$299.99)
* US$149.99 (May 13, 2002) (CAD$229.99)
* US$99.99 (Present) (CAD$119.99)

C4Lukins

Xabora said:
PS2 Price Drops:

Xbox Price Drops:

* August 2005 - $39.99US

DS Price Drops:

PSP Price Drops:
* US$199.99 Date Lost

Gamecube Price Drops:

That is crazy. The 360 has gone as long as the PS2 without a pricedrop.

it would appear MS has done a terrible job of getting the cost of the 360 down.

I'd really like to see some figures on how much the poor build quality of the 360 has hamstrung MS ability to drop the price.

Any profit on individula consoles and accessories must be eaten up by the warranty replacements shipping and so forth.

All a case of reaping what you sow IMHO.

sonycowboy said:
Then you're probably already saying it. Because NOTHING is going to change the sales pattern until either a price drop or the holidays, if Sony's stubborn enough and stupid enough to wait that long. But even then, the holidays would only be a fraction of what they could be with a lower price

That's the big problem with the PS3. Sony put all their chips in, and now they're stuck with a pair of deuces.

In the days running up to launch of the PS3, the question being asked was "Will the public accept a 600 dollar console because it is a PlayStation?" The answer has proven to be an emphatic no, and now Sony is painted in a corner.

The question we should be asking now is "Will Sony panic and drop the price?" Personally, I doubt it, but even if they do, they're really not in any situation where the increased sales they net would matter anyway because there are two competitors that are cheaper and more prominent in the US, and one that is absolutely dominating in Japan.

The PS3 HAD to hit the ground running, and it didn't. Welcome to GameCube sales.

loosus

Banned
sonycowboy said:

I agree that GameCube comparisons might not (yet) be logical, but I also think your statement about income and budget may not be wholly true, either. I haven't seen a heck of a lot of evidence that suggests that PlayStation 3 would be doing exceedingly better at, say, $399 or $299. After all, many early adopters were going to buy the system regardless. Am I saying that it wouldn't have sold better? No. But I don't think the difference would have been huge.

And I also think that PlayStation 3 may have created itself a self-fulling prophecy. By virtue of not selling now, it may have really hurt its sales down the road. Sure, I know games like Metal Gear Solid 4 are still coming, and I know not every developer is switching from PS3 to Wii, but where there's smoke, there's fire, and I really do think many developers are making the switch because the PS3 came limping out of the gate.

Wiitard

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
That's the big problem with the PS3. Sony put all their chips in, and now they're stuck with a pair of deuces.

In the days running up to launch of the PS3, the question being asked was "Will the public accept a 600 dollar console because it is a PlayStation?" The answer has proven to be an emphatic no, and now Sony is painted in a corner.

The question we should be asking now is "Will Sony panic and drop the price?" Personally, I doubt it, but even if they do, they're really not in any situation where the increased sales they net would matter anyway because there are two competitors that are cheaper and more prominent in the US, and one that is absolutely dominating in Japan.

The PS3 HAD to hit the ground running, and it didn't. Welcome to GameCube sales.

The thing about PS3 pricing is that they spent a lot of money subsidizing it in Japan were it is absolutely lost cause and refused to lose a penny in Europe were they actually have a shot at some kind of critial mass. I say they need to raise the price in Japan (once the stocks sell out), keep it in US and maybe drop it in Europe in some countries.

laserbeam

Banned
Wiitard said:
The thing about PS3 pricing is that they spent a lot of money subsidizing it in Japan were it is absolutely lost cause and refused to lose a penny in Europe were they actually have a shot at some kind of critial mass. I say they need to raise the price in Japan (once the stocks sell out), keep it in US and maybe drop it in Europe in some countries.

Problemwith that is its not doing great in Europe. After the initial Launch it duplicated the NA launch to a tee. High sales then bottomed out. Sony cant afford to try and rely on one territory. No Console can unless they are the profit generating Nintendo Kind but even then thats not good

vitaflo said:
I would be shocked if Wii sold over 300k. Way too high.

Wiitard said:
300,000 for Wii is insanely low. By all acounts it was much better supplied in April then in March.

vitaflow, prepare to be shocked. If they shipped 300k, they sold 300k. Wiitard..."insanely" is a stretch. I doubt they shipped over 400k.

Current systems added to complete it:

Xabora said:
PS2 Price Drops:

Xbox Price Drops:

* August 2005 - $39.99US

DS Price Drops:

PSP Price Drops:
* US$199.99 Date Lost

Gamecube Price Drops:

Xbox 360 Price changes:
* xbox 360 Core US$299.99 (November 22, 2005 Launch Price)
* xbox 360 Pro US$399.99 (November 22, 2005 Launch Price)
* xbox 360 Elite US$479.99 (April 29, 2007 Launch Price)

Wii Price changes:
* US$249.99 (November 19, 2006, Launch Price)

PS3 Price changes:
* PS3 20Gb model US$499.99 (November 17, 2006, Launch Price)
* PS3 60Gb model US$599.99 (November 17, 2006, Launch Price)
* PS3 20Gb model discontinued (April 11, 2007)[/QUOTE]

loosus said:
I haven't seen a heck of a lot of evidence that suggests that PlayStation 3 would be doing exceedingly better at, say, $399 or $299. After all, many early adopters were going to buy the system regardless. Am I saying that it wouldn't have sold better? No. But I don't think the difference would have been huge.

I think it would have sold a lot better since it does provide Blu-Ray movie capability, the Playstation brand is pretty darn strong, there are some great playstation exclusives, etc.

However, it is a very moot point because you simply can't build and sell a PS3 for that price. Like Iraq, we are where we are. There is little point is debating impossible scenarios. All one can do is try to pick the best of different awful options.

Deku

Banned
sonycowboy said:

Certianly it is premature, but you must have a lot of blind faith to think the same won't happen with the PS3. In fact it is tanking even harder in Japan where its price is relatively cheaper in dollar terms.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
If H3 drops in September, I'm almost sure that is why.
The strategy you spelled out makes a ton of sense, and very well could be what MSFT is planning.

However, if Sony drops the PS3 sooner than November, I am sure MSFT would respond with their price cut.

I think if Sony were to drop the price of PS3 tomorrow, that MSFT would drop the price of the 360 the next day. I believe MSFT plans to respond to any price drop immediately.

Maxwell House said:
The strategy you spelled out makes a ton of sense, and very well could be what MSFT is planning.

However, if Sony drops the PS3 sooner than November, I am sure MSFT would respond with their price cut.

I think if Sony were to drop the price of PS3 tomorrow, that MSFT would drop the price of the 360 the next day. I believe MSFT plans to respond to any price drop immediately.

I think that is also completely correct. And to add a little more on the top . . . This is why I think we will not see a PS3 price drop in the near future. Why should Sony take that painful step if it will only be immediately countered by an xbox 360 price cut? An xbox 360 price cut might actually put the 360 'in the zone' and thus rapidly increase xbox 360 adoption while PS3 would, at best, be at the current 360 price level.

The best Sony can do at the moment is work feverishly to produce a lower-cost PS3 model (such as the one they introduced in Europe), nab & secure important exclusives, and push Blu-Ray as being an important feature.

Tobor

speculawyer said:
I think that is also completely correct. And to add a little more on the top . . . This is why I think we will not see a PS3 price drop in the near future. Why should Sony take that painful step if it will only be immediately countered by an xbox 360 price cut? An xbox 360 price cut might actually put the 360 'in the zone' and thus rapidly increase xbox 360 adoption while PS3 would, at best, be at the current 360 price level.

The best Sony can do at the moment is work feverishly to produce a lower-cost PS3 model (such as the one they introduced in Europe), nab & secure important exclusives, and push Blu-Ray as being an important feature.

getting any more exclusives is going to be really difficult at this point. I imagine Sony's moneyhat is starting to look more like a change purse right about now.

Monk said:
The ps1 and 2 were successful because they came at a time when people didnt need to buy a new tv. The price wasnt the only thing holding ps3 back. PS3 is being unsuccessful because:

1. Not enough HDTV's sold ->Requires HDTV's For the best experience unlike the ps1 & 2
2. People are trying to save up money for an HDTV, if an average person had to choose between an HDTV and a ps3 which one would he choose?
3. It is a big black beast, if it isnt organic and on a male it isnt something that women want in the living room.
4. Offers nothing new at the moment where the competition does.
5. Not enough hype.
6. No one gives a shit about BR when people cared about DVD's and thus consumers think that they are paying for something they dont need and is not seen as a bonus like the ps2 and DVD.

Belive me I know all the reasons the PS3 isn't doing well but it still boggles my mind when I try to understand what was going on in their heads when they tried to establish these systems(Don't get me wrong I'm a technophile myself)...I mean the PS3 is losing Sonly a projected 2Billion, and the 360 has by industry standards done worse than the dreamcast sales-wise(only microsoft's wallet is keepin it alive).

I know I wouldn't want 3 Wii systems this generation but there has to be some sort of line they can hit where the system is just fun? Maybe stop trying to take over the whole living room section...(It's impossible with the high prices).

SteelHunter88 said:
Belive me I know all the reasons the PS3 isn't doing well but it still boggles my mind when I try to understand what was going on in their heads when they tried to establish these systems(Don't get me wrong I'm a technophile myself)...I mean the PS3 is losing Sonly a projected 2Billion, and the 360 has by industry standards done worse than the dreamcast sales-wise(only microsoft's wallet is keepin it alive).

I know I wouldn't want 3 Wii systems this generation but there has to be some sort of line they can hit where the system is just fun? Maybe stop trying to take over the whole living room section...(It's impossible with the high prices).

Um, totally false. It's already shipped as much as Dreamcast ever did.

SteelHunter88 said:
Belive me I know all the reasons the PS3 isn't doing well but it still boggles my mind when I try to understand what was going on in their heads when they tried to establish these systems.

A microprocessor designer once famously said "Chip design is like Russian roulette where you put the gun to your head, pull the trigger, and find out five years later if you are dead."

The point being that design, develop, and manufacture time scales are so long that you have to make educated guesses as to what the market will want many years down the road. It is not an easy thing to do and I have sympathy for those that make these decisions.

Having said that, there is some room for adjustment. For example, Sony said the low-end PS3 would not have HDMI and we know they changed that decision. That's why people often bring up the Blu-Ray issue . . . Sony could have pulled Blu-Ray out of the PS3 even at a relatively late date . . . but they chose not to do that.

Top Bottom