• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wedbush Morgan - April NPD Preview w/ HW estimates (predicts sales up 24%)

Kafel

Banned
What will happen if the PS3 is under 100k ?

edit : I guess, the same as if the PS3 is under 10k per week in Japan.

spwolf

Maxwell House said:
March was a 5 week month, and April is a 4 week month. If you had prorated PS3's sales in March to 4 weeks, it would have come in at 103k, so PS3 was already at the 100k per 4 week period level.

And April didn't have anything really to drive PS3 sales. No big games came out. I think we can expect slightly less than 100k PS3 sales for April IMO.

do you know how many selling days were in March? 1 more than in Feb...

So your "week" argument doesnt hold up because of the holidays...

SteelHunter88 said:
All I can say for sure is that HD is definitely about 2 yrs too early right now, which is why Nintendo will be the only one breaking records around here, but what still confuses me is why these two giant companies went the HD way after seeing what a cheap and affordable PS1 and PS2 did for the market...heh
Both have other higher aspirations other than gaming. They want to take over your living room.

Liquid

Banned
Mrbob said:
But Sony is still selling PS2s and PSPs.

MS only has one product to rely on.

i really HATE this argument. 99% of the people here are debating the NEXT GEN war. wtf does ps2 and psp have to do with that? if you wanna roll that way you may as well say MS has vista to fall back on. :lol psp and ps2 arent going to save the ps3 from losing dev and consumer support.

spwolf said:

What are you talking about? March NPD was for a full 5 weeks. April NPD will be for a full 4 weeks.

fernoca

Liquid said:
i really HATE this argument. 99% of the people here are debating the NEXT GEN war. wtf does ps2 and psp have to do with that? if you wanna roll that way you may as well say MS has vista to fall back on. :lol psp and ps2 arent going to save the ps3 from losing dev and consumer support.

MrBob, is well knows around here..for commentaries like that... ;)

Flyguy

Maxwell House said:
What are you talking about? March NPD was for a full 5 weeks. April NPD will be for a full 4 weeks.

There were days in March that retailers just decided not to sell PS3's. You can't fault Sony for that. Duh.

Odysseus

Banned
spwolf said:

know your sales calendars before you comment, thank you

they don't track the actual month, they track weeks. the "march" reporting period tracked 5 full weeks, march 4 - april 7. the data for "april" will be april 8 - may 5. for the rest of the year, the dates will be

may: may 6 - jun 2
jun: jun 3 - jul 7*
jul: jul 8 - aug 4
aug: aug 5 - sep 1
sep: sep 2 - oct 6*
oct: oct 7 - nov 3
nov: nov 4 - dec 1
dec: dec 2 - jan 5*

see the pattern? every third "month" is a five week reporting period. this past january was a rare five week period to make up for the year not having exactly 52 weeks. so once per seven years (not factoring in leap year), they need to insert an extra week.

enjoy the rest of your stay on sales age.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Eteric Rice said:
I can't believe people actually believe the whole "Nintendo isn't competing" thing. :lol

They aren't. The thing is they will end up with the relevant share of the pie, but not by competing. The PS2, GC and Xbox were in similar positions for different reasons, there was a race between Nintendo and Microsoft but the PS2 got the relevant share of the pie. Wii is next gen on a new path, while the others are next gen on an old path, which path becomes prevalent is the key to Nintendo's success, and that extends to why the DS had to win against the PSP.

Crypto said:
To a certain extent they really aren't going after the same people.

Sure, one is going after a wide audience, while the other two are going after narrow audiences.

SteelHunter88 said:
All I can say for sure is that HD is definitely about 2 yrs too early right now, which is why Nintendo will be the only one breaking records around here, but what still confuses me is why these two giant companies went the HD way after seeing what a cheap and affordable PS1 and PS2 did for the market...heh

Ugh. I hate comments like that. I had component cables for my PS2 & xbox like 7 years ago.

Xisiqomelir

Page 3 and no one posted this yet?

gurupachter.jpg

He deserves it for the DS prediction alone.

felipeko

Kafel said:
What will happen if the PS3 is under 100k ?

edit : I guess, the same as if the PS3 is under 10k per week in Japan.
Omg, i just realized that this thursday both may happens!

Will internet support all the gifs?!

mj1108

spwolf said:

Were you dropped on your head as a child?

donny2112

laserbeam said:
Think August or September were being eyes as the takeover months

June or July is more likely. As someone else said, Wii may be the first system to 10 million units sold to consumers. "First to 10 million wins!" :lol

spwolf said:

With how much time you spend in sales threads, you'd think some of it would rub off on you. February is a 4-week month by NPD reckoning. March is a 5-week month by NPD reckoning. I suggest you bookmark Odysseus's post for future reference.

Lo-Volt

Not that this PS3 number is any good, but the 360 number isn't that much better in the grand scheme of things, referring to the Wedbush prediction of 175,000.

andthebeatgoeson

spwolf said:

homer_beer.png

We need the gif where nelson laughs at the guy with long legs, then he makes nelson walk down the street and everybody laughs at nelson.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are all competing for the exact same users. The difference is how they go about attracting them.

I think these are some of Patcthtter's best predictions ever. I may have rounded a little different, but I can't really argue against them...

... But then again, I haven't done so hot this year with my own predictions.

donny2112

JJConrad said:
Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft are all competing for the exact same users.

Yes, but Nintendo is also going out of their way to attract a brand new set of users. For the previously existing userbase of gamers, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Wii doing much worse than it apparently is now.

Krowley

chibcicylist said:
Both have other higher aspirations other than gaming. They want to take over your living room.

And that was the biggest miscalculation...

There will eventualy be an appliance that takes over our living rooms but it won't come in as a trojan horse game machine.

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Is April NPD 4 weeks or 5? How many weeks was March NPD?

Actually, if the downward trend stays, I'd imagine that PS3 will be sub-100k for April. X360 will probably be sub-180k unless Elite did better than I thought it would.

linsivvi

yukoner said:
Nope, it just came in $100 and $300 too expensive, respectively.

Current sales illustrate how truly price sensitive the market is.

Well they are $100 and $300 too expensive because they cost even more than that to manufacture in 2007. That's why people are saying next-gen is rushed. If they want this to be the HD generation, they should've waited a couple more years, or, like Nintendo, wait until the next time.

GhaleonEB

Agent Icebeezy said:
Microsoft needs a price drop like yesterday.
I believe the 360 has now gone the longest of any system the past few generations without a price drop. (Anyone know for sure?)

It's overdue.

Odysseus

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I believe the 360 has now gone the longest of any system the past few generations without a price drop. (Anyone know for sure?)

It's overdue.

it has another month to beat ps2

oct 2000 -> may 2002

psp went two years without a real price drop

GhaleonEB

Odysseus said:
it has another month to beat ps2

oct 2000 -> may 2002

psp went two years without a real price drop
Ah, I forgot the PS2 launched in October. And I said systems, but meant consoles.

goldenpp72

so if it came out in march 2000 then doesn't that mean the 360 has to pass 2 years and 2 months or something? (before taking the longest price drop crown of course)

goldenpp72 said:
so if it came out in march 2000 then doesn't that mean the 360 has to pass 2 years and 2 months or something? (before taking the longest price drop crown of course)
You're getting into not only apples and oranges there, but grapes. Price drops in different regions rarely match directly; according to Wikipedia PS2 went open price in April 2001, with a true price drop happening in June 2001.

apujanata

Xabora said:
The only reason why the Xbox had a price drop so soon was because Sony dropped the price of the PS2.

PS2 Price Drops:
# US$299.99 (October 26, 2000, release date) (CAD$449.99)
# US$199.99 (May 14, 2002) (CAD$299.99)
# US$179.99 (August 18, 2003, official pricing)
# US$149.99 (May 11, 2004) (CAD$179.99)
# US$129.99 (April 20, 2006) (CAD$139.99)

Xbox Price Drops:
* US$299 (November 15, 2001, Launch Price) (CAD$449)
* US$199 (May 15, 2002) (CAD$299)
* US$179 (May 14, 2003) (CAD$249)
* US$149 (March 29, 2004) (CAD$199)

Do you have the pricedrops for other platform, such as GBA, DS, PSP, GC ?

Top Bottom