• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wedbush Morgan - April NPD Preview w/ HW estimates (predicts sales up 24%)

AniHawk

Hcoregamer00 said:
My love ends when they release a console above $300

:lol

But they do it because they love us. They're still losing money! And they're offering you a kickass top-notch system. Same thing with the games. $60 each? Because they LOVE US!

Speevy

Banned
unomas said:
I just feel like the premium PS3 killed the 20gb more affordable and still great version. Potentially the Elite will do the same to the premium 360. Thus making the consumer feel like they need to drop $480 to get the best version. Unfortunately judging by sales the Wii is gonna take home the prize because of moves like this.

Well, the difference is that there's just a hard drive to take into account before MS drops the price.

They could probably make the 360 Elite $399 by Fall, actually.

Mrbob

Liquid said:
but where is sony tracking? FAR behind that. its all relative.

But Sony is still selling PS2s and PSPs.

MS only has one product to rely on.

I agree with Odysseus about the whole competition angle. The only thing companies care about is making money. It might take awhile for the PS3 to get off the ground, so if the X360 can't make a bigger dent we may be seeing a ton of PS2/Wii games coming for the next couple years.

MaX_PL

Banned
microsoft needs a price drop this fall. yes, they can easily sale 500k the month of halo 3 at $399.99, but why?

if you can sell double or triple that with a price of $299, why not risk it? not only will you sell to new audiences, but the early adopters like myself are looking to buy a new console.

i want the god damn 65nm premium at $299. make it happen and you'll make millions.

andthebeatgoeson

Parl said:
I think he's being bullish on EVERYTHING except a bit too low on DS and being okay with GBA.
That's because he got ass raped last month with the DS prediction.

God help us all is the 360 is below 200K and Wii no where near 200K.

Threi

notag
King AniHawk said:
But they do it because they love us. They're still losing money! And they're offering you a kickass top-notch system. Same thing with the games. $60 each? Because they LOVE US!

Eteric Rice

AniHawk said:

:lol :lol :lol

AniHawk is win. :D

Nameless

Odysseus said:
this is what happens when you don't read the op

I usually skip the first couple of pages of these threads as they usually just consist of Wii fans treating the projected numbers like actual numbers and gloating.

maynerd said:
Hey overall they were only 0.8% under the actual. That's pretty good.

No. You're not using the absolute values, so you're letting the 'under' numbers balance out the 'over' numbers. They were 33.3% off overall.

Eteric Rice said:
I can't believe people actually believe the whole "Nintendo isn't competing" thing. :lol

Depends on you what you mean by "competing".

IMO, I don't think Nintendo is competing (or at least competing in the traditional way) to be the only console a hard/medium core fan would own, like Sony/MS, who want their console to be the one and only console you own. Nintendo is happy to be the cheap secondary console (just like the Gamecube) for those folks.

Where the casuals, and overall sales are concerned, yes the Wii is competing.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Nameless said:
I usually skip the first couple of pages of these threads as they usually just consist of Wii fans treating the projected numbers like actual numbers and gloating.

Oh the tears. They are a bitter.

maynerd

Banned
Leondexter said:
No. You're not using the absolute values, so you're letting the 'under' numbers balance out the 'over' numbers. They were 33.3% off overall.

Oh I thought that was how the GAF guessing game worked. I stand corrected.

HypeTrain.jpg

:D

laserbeam

Banned
Sharp said:
If Pachter is estimating 100k sales for the PS3 it probably sold more like 300k. PS3 owners, rejoice!

He has Usually Overestimated PS3 sales not underestimate. He only underestimates Nintendo products

Odysseus

Banned
Sharp said:
If Pachter is estimating 100k sales for the PS3 it probably sold more like 300k. PS3 owners, rejoice!

let's not get overly giddy. he could be off 200k the other direction, which would be most impressive.

yukoner

theBishop said:
Heh... GBA outsells PS3... PSP outsells 360...

No way, next-gen wasn't rushed... at all.

Nope, it just came in $100 and $300 too expensive, respectively.

Current sales illustrate how truly price sensitive the market is.

laserbeam

Banned
yukoner said:
Nope, it just came in $100 and $300 too expensive, respectively.

hence too soon. its those prices because the technology wasn't ready for cheap and affordable. Just imagine what Nintendo will do with cheap and affordable HD

Eteric Rice

laserbeam said:
hence too soon. its those prices because the technology wasn't ready for cheap and affordable. Just imagine what Nintendo will do with cheap and affordable HD

Kind of hard to predict, as the market is going bat shit insane right now.

Sharp

Odysseus said:
let's not get overly giddy. he could be off 200k the other direction, which would be most impressive.
But his sales total was pretty damn accurate.
People trading in their PS3s for PS2s confirmed?

Mojovonio

Banned
laserbeam said:

Like I said before, the xbox and PS2 had a good 2 years left in them.

laserbeam

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Kind of hard to predict, as the market is going bat shit insane right now.

Markets definetly going crazy and financially Especially in NA things are gonna keep getting tighter and tighter for the Average Consumer. Historical Trends already showed they were morons to launch with such a high price tag and its not getting cheaper since both MS and Sony seem to think releasing a higher priced version is smarter.

HD was too early in relation to affordability and in the fact its market penetration is very small.

All I can say for sure is that HD is definitely about 2 yrs too early right now, which is why Nintendo will be the only one breaking records around here, but what still confuses me is why these two giant companies went the HD way after seeing what a cheap and affordable PS1 and PS2 did for the market...heh

Mojovonio

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
Microsoft needs a price drop like yesterday.

They won't do it. They don't care about coming in 1st or 2nd, they're making a profit at this price and they know they can sell it at that price for the remainder of the year.

So when does the Wii world dominance counter go up - around which month Wii takes worldwide console lead?

BTW - PS3 is in bad shape without a price drop. Nothing is coming out, maybe Ninja Gaiden's remake. Lair will sell about as much as all dragon flying games do, which is between nothing and very little. They just gotta hope new console adopters for GTA in October choose to buy a PS3 and not a 360 - which will be hard to do with a $200 difference in price.

laserbeam

Banned
Hollywood_mIRC said:
So when does the Wii world dominance counter go up - around which month Wii takes worldwide console lead?

BTW - PS3 is in bad shape without a price drop. Nothing is coming out, maybe Ninja Gaiden's remake. Lair will sell about as much as all dragon flying games do, which is between nothing and very little. They just gotta hope new console adopters for GTA in October choose to buy a PS3 and not a 360 - which will be hard to do with a $200 difference in price.

Think August or September were being eyes as the takeover months

SteelHunter88 said:
All I can say for sure is that HD is definitely about 2 yrs too early right now, which is why Nintendo will be the only one breaking records around here, but what still confuses me is why these two giant companies went the HD way after seeing what a cheap and affordable PS1 and PS2 did for the market...heh

Well, Microsoft figured that since they were going to be first out of the gate, they would position themselves as the PS2 of this gen. Unfortunately, it looks like they're some odd combination of the Dreamcast (really strong start in the US) and Xbox (but still stuck in second place).

As for Sony... well, the third console curse/arrogance caught up to them. It happened with Nintendo as well, and history is repeating itself, just with a different company. I'm not sure if Sony saw a legitimate threat coming from Microsoft, or if they genuinely thought the general consumer would pay for a $600 console. Sadly, I think it may be a combination of those.

andthebeatgoeson

Mojovonio said:
They won't do it. They don't care about coming in 1st or 2nd, they're making a profit at this price and they know they can sell it at that price for the remainder of the year.
I don't believe it. If they were making money on the premium, they could have really squashed Sony with a $400 elite and even a $350 premium. MS needs a price drop. We know it, they know it but I think the elite, average sales and no price drop still speak to how they are not making money. If they are, it's accessories. They are trending just barely above the PS3 current sales, which is a slight against them. They are 18 months after launch and seem intent on staying at the current prices. I can't see them dropping their prices after they just launched a higher priced sku. I know they claim to be making money but I think it'll be because of accesories and game royalties, not because of hardware. Otherwise, they would have dropped the price. Any drop would be welcome and announce to everybody, they are trying to be proactive in leading the industry. Now, they are avoiding the mass market price like the plague.

March was a 5 week month, and April is a 4 week month. If you had prorated PS3's sales in March to 4 weeks, it would have come in at 103k, so PS3 was already at the 100k per 4 week period level.

And April didn't have anything really to drive PS3 sales. No big games came out. I think we can expect slightly less than 100k PS3 sales for April IMO.

Mrbob

speculawyer said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol

I'm talking about videogame hardware. :p

We all know MS will use their money to try and get the top spot in gaming. It is probably an inevitability, but stranger things have happened.

Monk

Banned
SteelHunter88 said:

The ps1 and 2 were successful because they came at a time when people didnt need to buy a new tv. The price wasnt the only thing holding ps3 back. PS3 is being unsuccessful because:

1. Not enough HDTV's sold ->Requires HDTV's For the best experience unlike the ps1 & 2
2. People are trying to save up money for an HDTV, if an average person had to choose between an HDTV and a ps3 which one would he choose?
3. It is a big black beast, if it isnt organic and on a male it isnt something that women want in the living room.
4. Offers nothing new at the moment where the competition does.
5. Not enough hype.
6. No one gives a shit about BR when people cared about DVD's and thus consumers think that they are paying for something they dont need and is not seen as a bonus like the ps2 and DVD.

Top Bottom