• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy | Let's All Love Loving Things

Speaking of shill, isn't there a huge conflict of interest now that Garnett is a publisher? He's talking up how great that mobile game in development is and I believe he said he may have the devs on Weekend Confirmed.

Speaking of shill, isn't there a huge conflict of interest now that Garnett is a publisher? He's talking up how great that mobile game in development is and I believe he said he may have the devs on Weekend Confirmed.

The guy from Insomniac is a shill too. He also likes Nintendo etc. I don't care as long as they say who they work for ahead of time. When they shill their own companies stuff, I tune out until they're done.

dLMN8R

I hate the notion that people with ties to the gaming industry (actually the gaming industry, not the "gaming industry aka enthusiast press) shouldn't be allowed on podcasts to talk about games.

If anything, the more actual developers on the show, the better. People who actually know what real software development is like are far more interesting to listen to than cynical armchair project developers who pretend like they know everything and assume that studios are idiots instead of digging into understanding the reasoning behind designs (even if they may ultimately disagree).

If someone ends up posturing their own game and studio to no end, call them out on it. But I can't think of any time a developer on the show has actually ever done that.

It's why Idle Thumbs has long been the best gaming podcast on the net. They're not just smart and funny guys, but they're also developers who have the experience that enables them to have intuitive insights that everyone else seems to gloss over or miss entirely.

I don't remember any specifics, but Marcus just left me with the impression of an overly cynical pessimistic critic who didn't have many interesting things to say to back up his arguments. It was blatantly obvious that he's had absolutely 0 experience actually developing games, and as such, his overall presentation fell completely flat.

I hate the notion that people with ties to the gaming industry (actually the gaming industry, not the "gaming industry aka enthusiast press) shouldn't be allowed on podcasts to talk about games.

If anything, the more actual developers on the show, the better. People who actually know what real software development is like are far more interesting to listen to than cynical armchair project developers who pretend like they know everything and assume that studios are idiots instead of digging into understanding the reasoning behind designs (even if they may ultimately disagree).

If someone ends up posturing their own game and studio to no end, call them out on it. But I can't think of any time a developer on the show has actually ever done that.

It's why Idle Thumbs has long been the best gaming podcast on the net. They're not just smart and funny guys, but they're also developers who have the experience that enables them to have intuitive insights that everyone else seems to gloss over or miss entirely.

I don't remember any specifics, but Marcus just left me with the impression of an overly cynical pessimistic critic who didn't have many interesting things to say to back up his arguments. It was blatantly obvious that he's had absolutely 0 experience actually developing games, and as such, his overall presentation fell completely flat.

You must have missed the Kindgoms of Amalur podcast. It was one big promo for the game, but it was fun/funny for the most part. There was never any doubt what Ken Levine was there to do.

Nice hearing Seth talking about PSASBR. I can really understand what SuperBot are trying to go for with the game - having the same level of strategic depth as a Street Fighter title, but without needing the insanely high technical skills to pull it all off.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
All I could think of when hearing Andrew describe his WiiU usage was this quote from E3

"How many times have you been watching an episode of South Park, and thinking I want to be playing a game, on my tablet, while connected to my oven, while sitting in a refrigerator?"

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I just think that a lot of developers don't have time to play tons of games that aren't thier own, and if they do they usually follow the unwritten rule of it being taboo to criticize another dev's work publicly. The "what have you been playing" segment is the segment that is most important to me, and devs usually just don't fit well for that.

I have a hard time finding him pessimistic when he found Assassins Creed 3 as game of the year material, but yes I would totally agree he had a horrible time backing up his claims both good and bad. He sure does like to use a lot of different words and phrases to say he likes or dislikes something, but the why part is where he always seemed to fall flat. At the very least he could say something good about the gameplay, and maybe give some examples which stuck out as why he found the story to be so amazing and "mature", considering how much he liked it. But then again he had rambled on for so long while saying so little that I don't know if he deserved any more time to explain these things.

I still don't think the problem is his lack of dev experience though. The core group of Garnett, Jeff, and Jeff have all proven to be able to deconstruct a game and explain what is catching them or turning them off, even if sometimes they fail at it. I always thought that most of these podcasts were for gamers, not aspiring developers. As crazy as the development process can be, the final act of gamers buying and playing games is really the only thing that matters. And you certainly don't need experience developing something in order to know if the act of playing it is meaningful or entertaining.

EDIT: Wow. On the week of the first new console release in 6 years, we have almost a full hour of developer shilling of a single throw away game in the prime spot starting the podcast. That's way too much, even beyond the stuff I was worried about before.

re: VGAs

The GameFly marketing department tells me it is not sponsoring the VGAs nor does it have any plans to run advertisements during the initial airing of the show. Evidently the way we buy spots one of our ads could run during a rebroadcast but it would not be by planned placement.

Cool. Thanks for checking and letting us know.

Fjordson

Liked this episode a lot. Great to have Jeff back. And Ariel is a fun guest, should have her on more often.

Seth was really interesting to listen to, even though I'm more of a passive admirer of fighting games. Never been too good at them :lol

Izick

Fantastic episode so far. It's interesting to see them being so candid with multiple developers of All-Stars on the show. Definitely refreshing to hear.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
Fantastic episode so far. It's interesting to see them being so candid with multiple developers of All-Stars on the show. Definitely refreshing to hear.

This. I felt there was a good and honest dialogue between everyone involved and I appreciate Garnett stepping in offering his criticisms and hearing what Seth and Ariel had to say in response.

I'll admit that I felt that All Stars was going to be a bit of a Smash clone, but hearing there's a deeper level of involvement makes me want to check out the game. I'm the exact market Seth was describing = I'm interested in fighting games, terrified of more hardcore games, but want something with a bit more depth than Smash.

This. I felt there was a good and honest dialogue between everyone involved and I appreciate Garnett stepping in offering his criticisms and hearing what Seth and Ariel had to say in response.

I'll admit that I felt that All Stars was going to be a bit of a Smash clone, but hearing there's a deeper level of involvement makes me want to check out the game. I'm the exact market Seth was describing = I'm interested in fighting games, terrified of more hardcore games, but want something with a bit more depth than Smash.

But doesn't that just describe Smash? Smash DOES have an extra layer of skill, at least Melee did.

Dark Knight

Neo Member
But doesn't that just describe Smash? Smash DOES have an extra layer of skill, at least Melee did.

Sorry, I mean specifically in terms of learning a specific character and their respective skill sets and how that plays in to the overall mechanicals of the game. I know Smash and Brawl have elements of this, but All-Stars seems to have a true combination of both character focused combat (Street Fighter) and 'casual' combat (Smash). I'm eager to try a demo and see how wrong or right I am.

Sorry, I mean specifically in terms of learning a specific character and their respective skill sets and how that plays in to the overall mechanicals of the game. I know Smash and Brawl have elements of this, but All-Stars seems to have a true combination of both character focused combat (Street Fighter) and 'casual' combat (Smash). I'm eager to try a demo and see how wrong or right I am.

I get you now. Very valid. I'm in the same boat.

I'll also echo that the All-Star talk on this week's episode was really strong.

Izick

Also, who else is super sad to see the Totally Rad Show finally end? I wish we could have known a little further in advance, but I'm guessing it happened as spontaneously as we found out about it. It's really a shame to see something that I've enjoyed for several years now just stop all together.

It was like a TV show that I've really loved and enjoyed. You know, I liked knowing that any day I decided to watch something on Youtube while I ate or played some mindless gaming (like multiplayer or sports stuff) I could have something I could always count on being there like clockwork. There's a few other shows like that on Youtube, but I don't think I've enjoyed any of those as much as TRS. It was fun kind of learning the guys' different tastes, and then seeing how their views on popular culture clashed with each other's, or my own.

I don't know if Jeff (Dan, or Alex) read Gaf, but if so, I wish you all the best of luck, and I hope we hear more from you all very soon!

frequency

1. I love Ariel. I really hope she can be on more often. I think she is the perfect female voice for this show... but I may be biased because her game interests are similar to mine.

2. I appreciate that Garnett spoke a bit about Playstation All Stars. I would like him to say more but I understand why he won't. There are people in this thread who feel he shouldn't because of his relationship - even though he's transparent about it.

3. I appreciate Jeff still being on after recent news. And he was a bit sick too. But still a great contributor to the show! Best of luck in the future Jeff.

4. I enjoyed the RE6 finishing move talk. It is interesting that they are enjoying it but consider it a bad game. That train part got me a bit too. After like 5 times, my co-op partner suggested I stand on the other side. I was expecting a QTE like the other trains before that part.
The "Good job!" "Nice!" bit made me laugh a lot.

huge difference is Idle Thumbs never tries to hide their bias or pretend to be impartial about things they have a vested interest in, unlike Weekend Confirmed.

What? Who on Weekend Confirmed has hidden that they've worked on a game being discussed? They've been very clear about their ties to development. Garnett is even restraining himself from talking too much about a game because of his relationship with someone on the Playstation All Stars team.

Are you talking about Andrea? She's not in the gaming industry really. At least not in the same sense as the Idle Thumbs people. She works for machinima.com.

huge difference is Idle Thumbs never tries to hide their bias or pretend to be impartial about things they have a vested interest in, unlike Weekend Confirmed.

theowne

Jeff Cannata with a cold sounds like Seth Killian.

Was Adam Sessler the one who canned TRS, or did it just end because one of the guys is leaving?

My guess is that Dan was leaving due to his directing duties, and Alex was probably a little burned out after 6 years and decided to quit too, since he has a new show as well.

If my guess is true, poor Jeff =(

H2Yo

Andrew Yoon... More like Andrew "You-know"...

The last episode of weekend confirmed has Andrew saying "You know" 713 times... It was horrible to listen to! Doesn't help that he sounds like Butt-Head with a lisp.

Pet Peeve - When complaints on podcasts are dismissed because consumers don't "understand the industry" or some other nonsense. Its always strikes me as an easy way to dismiss criticism of something without having to actually address it. A person can both understand that companies are protective of their IPs therefore it is hard, perhaps impossible, to build a legitimate "Playstation" roster while also feeling the current year-late-port-Big-Daddy roster is dumb.

Anyway, All-Stars has been getting a lot of shit, perhaps too much. I'm starting to feel sorry for it (well as much as someone can feel sorry for a corporate marketing machine game). I look forward to Superbot's first iOS game after sony cans them [/troll]

frequency

I never notice Andrew Yoon's "you know" habit. People have been complaining about it for weeks so I am aware it exists but when I listen I never notice it. I forget about it until I see someone complain again in this thread.

Lucky for me I guess.

see5harp

Thank you. He was way harder to listen to than either James or Ariel. Who the hell cares where they work? James and Ariel spend like 95% of the time talking about games on platforms they don't even work on. It's stated where they work right up front.

H2Yo

That's mean

I don't mean it to be mean, it's just... It's really hard to focus when he says "You know" 3 times in one sentence, and i'm not even exaggerating.

I dread him being on the show just because it's so hard to listen to, even though behind the 'you knows', I do enjoy his opinions, whether they be similar to mine or not.

For the end of year show I'd like to see 2013 predictions again, and a recap of last years if you have time.

It'd be kinda cool to celebrate things beyond games as well, maybe stories or game related movements. It doesn't necessarily have to be like a best game story of the year award but it's be nice to just have a recap on the coolest moments of the year.. 'cause frankly it feels like it's been a crumby year right now. Hopefully Far Cry 3 will be 2012's swan song like Mattas says.

Skulls not being on 7 is a real tragedy, I hope it does come out for 7 'cause the idea of cross play sounds amazing. It's antithetical to the core multiplayer concept, and I sure as hell ain't buying Windows 8.

jagowar

Skulls not being on 7 is a real tragedy, I hope it does come out for 7 'cause the idea of cross play sounds amazing. It's antithetical to the core multiplayer concept, and I sure as hell ain't buying Windows 8.

Seeing as "real" xbox is not on win7 that's more than likely the reason it cant get cross compatibility.

Win8 is great so no loss for me.... and this is probably my most anticipated game for win8. I just hope its not too expensive on each platform and hopefully they eventually figure out a buy once get everywhere model (probably for next gen though). Would be awesome to pay one price and get it on xbox, win8, surface and wp8.

I quickly skimmed through the 2012 prediction episode out of curiosity and it seems really light on actual predictions. Sounds like 2N1T was the most willing to go out there and actually predict stuff, too bad he was wrong :lol

Jeff: 100% GTAV comes out in 2012. Next XBOX will be announced in 2012

Jeff made up for it though with his classic ONE THOUSAND YEARS rant in that episode

Also, Xav: Half Life 3 won't come out this year but they will announce it this year

demidar

That guy from 7-bit studios needs to tell more Japanese ghost stories. That white wolf story gave me a shiver even when surrounded by people.

Jeff is jobless? TRS get canned or something?

and the GOTY talk, i bet garnett just came back from bonus round recording ;)

I do agree GOTY format gotta change.

The day when a $1 ios game wins is when shit gets real.

Top Bottom