• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekly JP News thread of 2/8, 1001, and ENGLISH OF THE DEAD: SEGA REDEEMED!

NEWS[/b]
Mario Kart Wii (Wii/Nintendo/4-10)
* Bikes in cup mode
* Bikes have special actions like "wheelie"
* 16 remake and new courses
* Wi-fi 12 players
* Play as Mii

Nice to see confirmation of 12 players, scans look great! (Ghost House 2 SNES and Delfino Plaza DS have been confirmed as well!)

Everyone's Common Sense TV (Wii/Nintendo/3-6)
* Like playing along with a TV quiz show, a training software centering on common knowledge.
* From cuisine and business manners to hobbies and trivia, a wide variety of questions
* Wi-Fi Connect automattically DLs new questions

AWESOME! This is the kind of thing Wii Connect 24 was made for! Let's just hope that it's a downloadable channel rather than a retail game, it would be so much better if I could just select it from the Wii menu rather than have to shove in the disc each time!

Ono interviev:
* Saving Attack:
Doesn't want it to be thought up like a critical hit
Differest from SF3 series blocking, in SF4 the spice is in the attack
* Ultra Combo
Even bigger fireworks than a super combo

Uuuullltra COMBO!!! Sounds quite good at least as long as the ultra combo isn't too overpowering

ENGLISH OF THE DEAD :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol (DS/Sega/spring '08)
* Action game where you defeat hordes of zombies with the power of English
* Zombies spew Japanese, and you write the English translation in on the touchscreen
* 6 stages
* Training, Auto Listening modes

This is so absurd that it just demands a day one purchase even if it never comes out in English :lol

Soma Bringer (DS/Nintendo/2-28)
* CORRECTION: With enough systems and carts, up to three people can play the single-player scenarios, at whatever point the host is.
* Can trade items in coop
* Ahaha wow I need to not eat and translate at the same time Profiles of four ENEMIES: Adonis, Fedelta, Ambition, Gude
* Early orders get a mini-soundtrack

Nice, download play FTW!

<Wii>
Spring Fatal Frame &#65374;Mask of a Luna Moth&#65374; <Nintendo>

Mario Kart 4/10

That was fast! I still don't see Mario Kart making the date though (At least not in the US, we probably won't get it until July)

lupin23rd

justchris said:
I love the designs, the characters really look like they fit the original FF4 designs.

I hate that it's a game I'll never get a chance to play. Bloody Japanese cell phone games :(

Aren't those characters all from the original FF4?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
lupin23rd said:
Aren't those characters all from the original FF4?

Yes, he's saying they didn't make the characters look chibi or otherwise shitty in making this game -- they look like they're supposed to based on their original designs.

zoukka

Nomura interview
* Would be happy with FF illustrations done only by Amano
-So true

* Lightning isn't sweet
-Sweet

* Lightning is shadowy
-Spooky

* Lightning doesn't cry
-Final Drama am cry

* Aya is a bid more rounded than Lightning
-A fat character (chick) in Final Fantasy! The Universe is saved...

* Versus 13 heroes' clothes will probably be revised
-THANK GOD JESUS BEARD

* Buys games based on Famitsu reviews
-No surprises there

Mdk7

YAY for the news about Yoot Saito!
I was thinking about opening a thread to discuss about his new projects yesterday and then today... :D
I love him, he's so creative and unique... Go Yoot Go!!

And wow @English of the dead (though it sounds pretty impossible to play for non-japanese speakers...)!

IMO, I don't think they're getting the "tough girl that can take shit" thing right. That description makes her sound like an emotionless bot. Heroes can cry, be sweet, and not be "shadowy" and still be headstrong.

Besides, this is fucking Final Fantasy. I'm 99% sure that Lightning will have a love interest. Surely she'll soften up then. :)
And he'll probably die.

Prax

Chris Michael said:
IMO, I don't think they're getting the "tough girl that can take shit" thing right. That description makes her sound like an emotionless bot. Heroes can cry, be sweet, and not be "shadowy" and still be headstrong.

Besides, this is fucking Final Fantasy. I'm 99% sure that Lightning will have a love interest. Surely she'll soften up then. :)

I'd say that her love interest is probably already dead, and it was her mother that killed him (EPIC!). She doesn't seem that emotionless to me.. just boring (boring like Aeris! Maybe she's like.. a Cloud + Aeris baby. You know, that's my prediction. That she is like Cloud and Aeris combined! lol).

Looking forward to the upcoming FF news.. but for all we know.. it's another cellphone game and other questionable FFXIII spinoffs. :|

Nocebo

c_k_i_t3 said:
Mii Support!
4-players splitscreen!
Online with Nintendo wifi-connection!
Mario Kart Wii gonna be awesome:D
Me and friends are gone have fuuuuuuuuuuun with this :lol

img.php

GCN Controller support confirmed! (Look at the online menu screen, notice the green and red buttons?)

I'll give the new Wii controls a try of course (Excite Truck's controls were excellent) but Mario Kart Arcade GP's controls suck, I don't think that Mario Kart's gameplay is well suited to a steering wheel though, it has always been tailored to a controller and has always controlled best with one.

Thanks for the scans, neo.

Mario Kart looks pretty good (with the exception of character models, as usual). Peach looks awesome on her bike in that render.

The pink haired girl in Soma Bringer looks bearable, one of the better designs in my opinion.

Captain N

Nuclear Muffin said:
img.php

GCN Controller support confirmed! (Look at the online menu screen, notice the green and red buttons?)

I'll give the new Wii controls a try of course (Excite Truck's controls were excellent) but Mario Kart Arcade GP's controls suck, I don't think that Mario Kart's gameplay is well suited to a steering wheel though, it has always been tailored to a controller and has always controlled best with one.

Nintendo is usually really good at letting you use the GCN controller and in fact I would be surprised if they don't let you use the VC controller as well.

justchris

Hmmm, I wonder if the new trick system in Mario Kart will replace the old dash system. That'd pretty effectively get rid of snaking, without removing mini-boosts.

soul

Proper translation of the Nomura interview, courtesy of Maiki from ff-xiii.net:

- While designing Final Fantasy VII, they were indecisive about how spiky to make Cloud's hair.
- Since people are more used to the beautiful CGs of FF characters, he prefers his own artworks to not be shown out in the open too often and thinks that the Final Fantasy illustrations done by Yoshiyuki Amano are what people prefer to see.
- Normally draws with just a mechanical pencil, then scans and digitally colours his artworks.
- Buys games based on Famitsu reviews.

- Lightning from FF XIII: Has muscular legs, she isn't sweet, strict to herself and to others, and doesn't like whiners.
- Aya (Aya Brea from PE3) is a bid more rounded than Lightning.

- Versus 13 heroes' clothes will probably be revised.
- Versus 13 main character is unlike Cloud nor Squall as people are expecting. Everyone's impression on him will greatly change once they hear him speak. Many people may not like him.
- His name will be related to weather just like Lightning, but personally Nomura has gotten bored of this naming tradition.
- The next time they reveal new Versus 13 info, they will reveal the main character's name.

- Agito characters are being called after their weapons between the development staff members, like how the boy with the cards is known as "Card-kun". The girl with glasses is being called "Class President" just because of her image, though.

soul said:
- Versus 13 main character is unlike Cloud nor Squall as people are expecting. Everyone's impression on him will greatly change once they hear him speak. Many people may not like him.
Gilbert Gottfried to VA confirmed.

DieH@rd

Banned
Mandoric said:
ENGLISH OF THE DEAD :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol (DS/Sega/spring '08)
* Zombies spew Japanese, and you write the English translation in on the touchscreen
* 6 stages

type_of_the_dead.jpg

262200.jpeg

Good old days.

Yoboman

I hope Sasuke is just a plain old asshole. Not brooding and self-absorbed, just an absolute prick for the sake of it

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Any scans of English of the Dead yet? I'm really curious to see how that game will work. My first reaction was "cool!" but then I realize it's lacking a keyboard and it really just sounds like a variation of Typing of the Dead. So do you have you write letters that the game tries to recognize, or do you perhaps get a virtual keyboard on the bottom screen you type in letters with?

Either way I have a feeling they will have to alter the pace of the game (or number of enemies on-screen), because how would you ever be able to keep up with not only the translation of words but also the actual input while having 3-4 zombies quickly moving towards you? And now I feel like playing some Typing of the Dead, still an awesome awesome game. :D

ENGLISH OF THE DEAD (DS/Sega/spring '08)
* 6 stages
Holy shit! Day 1! I hope my subpar Japanese is enough for this.

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Any scans of English of the Dead yet? I'm really curious to see how that game will work. My first reaction was "cool!" but then I realize it's lacking a keyboard and it really just sounds like a variation of Typing of the Dead. So do you have you write letters that the game tries to recognize, or do you perhaps get a virtual keyboard on the bottom screen you type in letters with?

Either way I have a feeling they will have to alter the pace of the game (or number of enemies on-screen), because how would you ever be able to keep up with not only the translation of words but also the actual input while having 3-4 zombies quickly moving towards you? And now I feel like playing some Typing of the Dead, still an awesome awesome game. :D
There's screens earlier, you write to the touchpad. Visuals look surprisingly good imo, better than HotD1 Saturn.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
soul said:
- Lightning from FF XIII: Has muscular legs, she isn't sweet, strict to herself and to others, and doesn't like whiners.
- His name will be related to weather just like Lightning, but personally Nomura has gotten bored of this naming tradition.
- The next time they reveal new Versus 13 info, they will reveal the main character's name.
All great stuff.

Zoe

soul said:

They should name him Rain. Then they could get the singer to cosplay as him and do several theme songs.

Please don't kill me.

near

Gold Member
soul said:
- Versus 13 heroes' clothes will probably be revised.

-No! Whats wrong with the clothes there wearing now? Perhaps the shotgun guy needs an outfit change but the rest seem alright.
-What does Nomura mean "Many people may not like him." He seems cool (character design) I just hope his role in the story isn't so bad.
-Looking forward to hearing his name, related to weather..*sigh* It'll probably sound awesome.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
neo2046 said:
English of the Dead
Looks like House of the Dead 2 is being used as the basis for English of the Dead, like TotD. That's okay, HOTD2 never gets old.:D
And if you guys think this is odd, there are pirate costumes in Virtua Fighter 5 version D.
vf502.jpg

This needs to be DLC for the Xbox 360 version... :D

batbeg

Nice. I hope the prince is a real douche, although he may just be a whiny little bitch, who knows? So long as they get rid of his God damned outfit to make him fit in with the rest of the world and stop making him "LOL IM BADASS" then I really don't have any complaints left with what we've seen :)

Link1110

neo2046 said:
English of the Dead
Some of the translations look weird (&#31169;&#12395; doesn't mean "me," &#31169; does, and what if the player wrote "I?" I also see &#35211;&#12427;, would both "see" and "look" be considered right?) but, as long as these problems aren't game breaking, it'll be a good tool, even for going the opposite way (learning Japanese,) so I'll probably import it. They ought to just release it here sans localization for Japanese students, likely get about 20,000 sales that way.

Zoe

Link1110 said:
Some of the translations look weird (&#31169;&#12395; doesn't mean "me," &#31169; does)

It does mean "to me" though. &#31169; would be "I."

Oh, that screen is showing that you can have the monsters say the word.

Top Bottom