• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Welcome to Night Vale [Mafia] |OT| The Dog Park will not harm you

Sorian

Banned
By the way, re-read some of scum chat and some of my own chat.

I think it needs to be said that Karu did pretty good as well for first showing as scum. You were going to fly under my radar without Scrafty. You were on my short list but you were pretty close to the bottom. Great work on that, you had a fairly weak PR in my opinion but you made the most of it (by accident or on purpose, I was completely believing that it may have been a town power).

Sorian

Banned
I love how Jerry's Tacos has double the posts.

Reading the start of Big Rico's Pizza there is a weird ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ attitude which better explains why Sorian scumread Mazre.

I was not amused when Retro told me I was invited to a gossip chat lol

I was a bit standoff-ish from the start so I thought maybe I caused some of the bad blood.

Retro seems so disappointed that you just ignored his curse.

Karu why didn't you just listen to Palmer and suicide to spite Sorian and deny Jay? It would have been pretty funny.

Ty4on

I was not amused when Retro told me I was invited to a gossip chat lol

I was a bit standoff-ish from the start so I thought maybe I caused some of the bad blood.
Yeah, it is at the same time hard to know what he could have done differently. I guess one thing is inviting a lower priority target like you did.

I was actually very uncertain of you N1 for not suspecting me more, but with the second gossip it had to have been one hell of a gambit and I kept coming back to you choosing me for the chat.

Sorian

Banned
Retro seems so disappointed that you just ignored his curse.

Karu why didn't you just listen to Palmer and suicide to spite Sorian and deny Jay? It would have been pretty funny.

Retro is secretly mad at me D: When he puts a curs elike that in his next game, if you ignore it, you will be modkilled and banished from gafia forever.

Yeah, it is at the same time hard to know what he could have done differently. I guess one thing is inviting a lower priority target like you did.

I was actually very uncertain of you N1 for not suspecting me more, but with the second gossip it had to have been one hell of a gambit and I kept coming back to you choosing me for the chat.

Mazre did nothing wrong, it was 100% a luck draw. If I had not been a gossip and Mazre invited me, I would have been all aboard with him, no questions asked.

I'm glad you gave me a chance. I town read you, thought you might have soft claimed Carlos, and you were scummy enough that I figured scum wouldn't kill you for awhile. I think we worked well together.

Mazre

Oof, finally home and fooded. Earlier posts were from phone (hence brevity).

FIrstly, gg to all and thanks to Retro for hosting. Secondly congrats to town, there were quite a few of you playing at a high level throughout.

It definitely felt like things fell towns way in the early going (Hearthstone analogy - scum mulliganed to their worst possible hand and town drew into perfect curve on every turn), though beyond that as the game progressed town did very well to consistently capitalize on their advantages as well.

I agree with the sentiment that the SK probably needed a tweak of some sort. Either drop the NK immunity, increase the total # of req town kills, something, but again it might not have mattered after he was invited to Sorian's chat. I was certainly ready to go down swinging on day 3 though. Fun crazy idea: at one point during night 3 I mulled the possibility of our kill failing due to hitting the neutral, and in that event even had the notion to have Razmos just flat out claim mafia and accuse said player of being the neutral (alas I died before the scenario occurred.)

Mazre

I do need to publicly apologize to you. I skirted the line with what was ok to ask in gossip chat and that made your death come about easier. Maybe Ultra would have killed you anyway from all of the theories I was mulling around in Jerry's Tacos but it's hard to know and I know the win condition thing played a part in your death.

Yar, no worries here. I was honestly more bemused by the parsing of Retro's flavor. Retro did actually provide me with one extra fake role under the table (right before or shortly after the game start,) another radio intern. I had considered Big Rico prior to that but as soon as you started asking questions I threw all that out the window.

Sorian

Banned
Yar, no worries here. I was honestly more bemused by the parsing of Retro's flavor. Retro did actually provide me with one extra fake role under the table (right before or shortly after the game start,) another radio intern. I had considered Big Rico prior to that but as soon as you started asking questions I threw all that out the window.

Funny, before Retro actually gave me my role, I asked him how much issue I would run into if I had to fake claim for whatever reason and I told him I was going to use some random Radio Intern.

gryvan

man that last page of mafia chat was really sad

like holy shit leaving karu all alone and he was a new player for GAFIA

Mazre

Hrmm...more post mortem thoughts:
Town game re: information discipline was insane (especially day 1).

Low activity posters are usually a boon to mafia, however, when everyone went AWOL during Thanksgiving I think that ultimately hurt us more this go around, made it harder for us to stir the pot.

Mafia chat - This one's completely on us, I recognized pretty early on we weren't gonna be a talkative bunch but I made a decision not to constantly prod in our chat about it. I wanted to keep on the team atmosphere positive and didn't want to spend the game hounding people to up their involvement.

Putting reads together as mafia is arduous. Your perspective is hugely colored and it's hard to strike the right balance. I spent huge portions of the game thinking "I'd totally vote for Razmos/Karu here"

gryvan

I also feel like that one theory I mentioned about at least 1 new player for this game is a scum was actually really true :O

well we won, yay! i really didn't do a damn thing but eh, i didn't mess it up at least!

really disapointed i didnt get to go through with any dramatic double vote power reveal, was honestly saving it for the end of this day phase, but once again timezones screwed me over and the override happened while sleep on.

also i would like to point out that i bread-crumbed the heck outa my ability to double vote.

Ty4on

Those should have been full role PMs with fluff. I was still going back and forth with you during N3 and would probably have leaned town if you had known the win condition and made a more plausible claim.

I'm curious Retro, but what was the rationale of not giving mafia the town win condition?

Mazre

Those should have been full role PMs with fluff. I was still going back and forth with you during N3 and would probably have leaned town if you had known the win condition and made a more plausible claim.

I'm curious Retro, but what was the rationale of not giving mafia the town win condition?

I think this was just an oversight on Retro's part (hence him editing after the fact). It really only becomes an issue in cases with gossips but is easy to forget.

I saw that question and started swearing profusely. I was basically coin-flip between what I said and the correct answer, I erred towards what I said because I suspected (though didn't know at the time) that our neutral had a kill so thought that town might be required to remove them as well. At that point I pretty much just had to roll with it and act like everything was okay even though I was fairly certain that I was boned.

Mazre

well we won, yay! i really didn't do a damn thing but eh, i didn't mess it up at least!

really disapointed i didnt get to go through with any dramatic double vote power reveal, was honestly saving it for the end of this day phase, but once again timezones screwed me over and the override happened while sleep on.

also i would like to point out that i bread-crumbed the heck outa my ability to double vote.

Protip - try participating next time, also voting once is a great lead in to eventually voting more than once

As a rule of thumb just posting something once a day (24 hours- not phase) relating to the current discussion goes a long way over the course of a game

Mazre

If that post of yours is all you have to offer than we will kill you - either today or tonight. Your flip will give us the information you aren't telling us and shed light on Scrafty's claims.

Though it was very late game and cut short by the override I'm still a little disappointed no one jumped on this. Basically admitted to being the SK right here.

Ty4on

I think this was just an oversight on Retro's part (hence him editing after the fact). It really only becomes an issue in cases with gossips but is easy to forget.

I saw that question and started swearing profusely. I was basically coin-flip between what I said and the correct answer, I erred towards what I said because I suspected (though didn't know at the time) that our neutral had a kill so thought that town might be required to remove them as well. At that point I pretty much just had to roll with it and act like everything was okay even though I was fairly certain that I was boned.
I asked him during D1 and he said yes to the sample PM purposely not having town's win condition.

If you keep playing please continue to do characters, they are so much fun to read. Also I'm to lazy to look back through the thread can you point out your breadcrumbs for me?

Sorian

Banned
I also feel like that one theory I mentioned about at least 1 new player for this game is a scum was actually really true :O

I mean, that's just pure odds :p It's all just RNG what role you get.

Protip - try participating next time, also voting once is a great lead in to eventually voting more than once

As a rule of thumb just posting something once a day (24 hours- not phase) relating to the current discussion goes a long way over the course of a game

This is great advice. Especially the voting part. If we didn't keep having leads then this was going to look bad eventually.

Though it was very late game and cut short by the override I'm still a little disappointed no one jumped on this. Basically admitted to being the SK right here.

I laughed every time Jay posted. I think he was getting eager.

Ty4on

Slips like that are so common they always make me feel stupid for not noticing then.
Razmos said:
It's risky to assume that no deaths is a good thing though. Whoever they targeted might be a dangerous neutral player or a lost partner.
Start of D3.

Edit: I'm not trying to single out Raz, I did it a million times in DR. Just the first example I thought about.

RetroMG

It was kind of an oversight. Kind of.

My way of thinking has always been that Scum holds all the cards in any given Mafia game, so I left the win condition out purposefully in an effort to even things out. (In retrospect, this is very funny.) After Darklighter died and Ty4on and Sorian started talking to Mazre, Palmer pointed out the reason and that I had inadvertently dealt the scum a huge blow. I privately asked Palmer if I should add it into Darklighter's role PM, and we agreed that it probably wouldn't hurt.

And then Sorian and Mazre noticed.

So yeah, that was very much my bad. Won't make that mistake again.

Mazre

A topic for discussion: Cecil's first transmission -
So Retro has said that some of these posts will matter and some won't. Looking through it seems that if something is relevant in the first post it's likely among what I've bolded above.

Among us is likely a dangerous fugitive and possibly a vigilante (though this may simply refer to our daily votes). Thoughts?

Is it Steve Carlsberg? He's a jerk

Continuing from my last post because I'm a dope and shouldn't have hit submit yet. I believe the fugitive was Hyrim (sp?) McDaniels who was a 5-headed dragon who did murder a guy once so maybe SK or vigilante (depending on what the bad side here is, I'm guessing Desert Bluffs so Hyrim would still be Night Vale-aligned)

Meanwhile back on D1 .... ;D

Mazre

It was kind of an oversight. Kind of.

My way of thinking has always been that Scum holds all the cards in any given Mafia game, so I left the win condition out purposefully. After Darklighter died and Ty4on and Sorian started talking to Mazre, Palmer pointed out the reason and that I had inadvertently dealt the scum a huge blow. I privately asked Palmer if I should add it into Darklighter's role PM, and we agreed that it probably wouldn't hurt.

And then Sorian and Mazre noticed.

So yeah, that was very much my bad. Won't make that mistake again.

Heh...I did check the sample and Darklighter's flip....after I responded...but before Retro edited. I decided to roll the dice when I did largely because I thought delaying would just add to Sorian's suspicions.

This was also an extreme corner case too, exacerbated by the fact that I landed on the town gossip with my pick.

Ty4on

Which is funny because Razmos thought Setre was lying about protecting me.
And I still didn't realize that Ultra was the target :p

Another luck draw for town.
1. Out of all the choices, Mazre invites the sole town gossip
2. Out of all town looking, Sorian invites the SK who can NK Mazre.
3. Out of everyone, scum targets the serial killer who is NK immune.
4. Despite Raz already being lynched we doubly lynch squid who would otherwise have looked very town after that.
5. Once again, out of everyone remaning Scrafty investigates Karu who has stayed under the radar of most of town and turned it to be the sole remaning scum player.

Remove 1, 2, 3 or 4 and things are looking much better for scum.

Kevyt

Well I'm not sure about Overriding Unmasked Ferret, I think voting for Karu makes sense since it would let us know if Scrafty is indeed telling the truth.

And sorry all! it's just that this week I had finals, well not really, but I don't think we are dealing with more than 4 scum, and then again I'm kind of worried about Scrafty.

But I'm just going to...

Vote: Karu

I think Mikehawk should not override, maybe save it for the next day?

I dunno.

Also, obligatory:

"Now I ain't lookin'
To fight with you
Frighten you or uptight you
Drag you down or drain you down
Chain you down or bring you down

All I really want to do
Is baby, be friends with you
Baby, be friends with you

I ain't lookin' to block you up
Dock or rock or lock you up
Analyze you, categorize you
Finalize or advertise you

All I really want to do
Baby, be friends with you"

tumblr_mqdqttu8v31s763p8o4_400.gif

gryvan

Well I'm not sure about Overriding Unmasked Ferret, I think voting for Karu makes sense since it would let us know if Scrafty is indeed telling the truth.

And sorry all! it's just that this week I had finals, well not really, but I don't think we are dealing with more than 4 scum, and then again I'm kind of worried about Scrafty.

But I'm just going to...

Vote: Karu

I think Mikehawk should not override, maybe save it for the next day?

I dunno.

Also, obligatory:

"Now I ain't lookin'
To fight with you
Frighten you or uptight you
Drag you down or drain you down
Chain you down or bring you down

All I really want to do
Baby, be friends with you

I ain't lookin' to block you up
Dock or rock or lock you up
Analyze you, categorize you
Finalize or advertise you

All I really want to do
Baby, be friends with you"

tumblr_mqdqttu8v31s763p8o4_400.gif

I don't know if this is a joke or nobody said nothing to seath that the game is over already atm lol

Ourobolus

Banned
Scum was a bit underpowered, but holy hell if they didn't just have blind luck working against them. Town made some good choices, sure, but some of it was just a perfect storm of futility.

And here I was working up and entire post accusing Royal_Flush of being the last scum!

My entire theory of Mazre throwing a scum into the list to split was basically wrong. I mean, Squidy WAS there, but I don't think Mazre actually knew Squidy was scum? But it was such a brilliant plan!

Anyway, fun game and I apologize for not being as dedicated as I have been previously. I was ordinary town, so I wasn't even doing it on purpose like I did with DR.

Yay town!

Top Bottom