• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

Fury451

Banned
I've gotten a few "hi sexy" messages lately and was wondering what was up.

I mean they're not wrong in assuming that, but i ain't got time for sex when I'm playing a clutch 1 v 5 round of Siege.

sibarraz

Banned
Is there any risk at opening those messages?

I received 2 of them and opened them since you never know if someone who you know is talking to you

Granted, there are not urls or anything like that, so I don't know if there is any risk on it

Yeah, I get them once or twice a week.

I wonder how this started though, because it's relatively new and you know its not people physically creating these messages, they're bots. So it's on Sony to take care of whatever it is that's allowing it.

(I know nothing about software dev, please don't kill me if my opinion is all sorts of wrong)

1 in a week like the last month. Im playing currently DkS3 so the Option for privat messanging disable is a no go for me. Good Memories from dks and 2.

Joe Boy 1986

Neo Member
This has been happening to me for the past 6 weeks or so. Just a random message saying hi, or some variation there of. At least one a week. I just ignore them tbh

Ohhh I was wondering if that was a bot or not, I had the same bot as OP (different PSN name though)

I replied a month later to their message or something and I stopped replying after the asked my age because something felt fishy.

Randam

You didn't really chat that much with a random on PSN?
If the "hi xox" didn't give it away, the "I was checking for people to talk to" should have done it.

Peroroncino

I got about 5 friend requests and 10 messages in the past 2 or 3 months, never really replied, just immediately left the conversation, waste of time imo.

I feel like this situation is only getting worse. I used to get maybe 1 a week in the past 2 months, now I get at least 4-5 a week.

I've gotten maybe 3 or 4 of these in the last couple weeks. Eventually just changed my PSN account settings so only friends can message me.

Shahed

It is more popular or common on US PSN? My main UK account has only ever had the one of these chatbox things. However I logged into my US account for the first time in like a few years today and had 7 of these stretching back about 7 months

xabbott

It is more popular or common on US PSN? My main UK account has only ever had the one of these chatbox things. However I logged into my US account for the first time in like a few years today and had 7 of these stretching back about 7 months

Whatever it is, it's happening on XBL and PSN. Wonder if the services improving/adding more app and web features led to this.

Got one on Xbox a couple weeks back, but it's obviously a scam and so I never replied.

Whatever it is, it's happening on XBL and PSN. Wonder if the services improving/adding more app and web features led to this.

THey're more prevalent because the APIs are open to developers and creating chatbots is super easy now a days.

I've gotten a bunch of spam on Xbox Live some time ago but that went away. These past months it's been 'hey whats up' chatbots but it's been some weeks since I last encountered one.

poodaddy

I changed my profile to not accept messages from people I don't know and that handled it. Got four of these damn things before saying enough is enough.

Rflagg

I did... I guess

Someone named "cuddlegrl_z56" sent me a message saying "heya hun", that profile had no other friends, decided to block it

I have had this sort of thing happen twice

I am going to follow poodaddy's lead and change my settings tonight or tomorrow morning.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've received a couple of these recently. I don't play PS4 games (or any games, really) online, so they stick out like a sore thumb as there's no reason why an actual person would message me on PSN.

More annoying for me was dealing with friend requests from bots on Steam, but they quickly became a rare occurrence after Valve began requiring new accounts to spend at least $5 before having to access to all features. Perhaps The Big Three ought to consider something similar. "You've got to spend money to make money" doesn't seem to be a philosophy bot creators agree with.

poodaddy

I've received a couple of these recently. I don't play PS4 games (or any games, really) online, so they stick out like a sore thumb as there's no reason why an actual person would message me on PSN.

More annoying for me was dealing with friend requests from bots on Steam, but they quickly became a rare occurrence after Valve required new accounts to spend at least $5 before having access to all features. Perhaps The Big Three ought to consider something similar. "You've got to spend money to make money" doesn't seem to be a philosophy bot creators agree with.
This is a damn good point, and it's a complete solution to the problem.

I have had a few of these as well, I reported them to Sony as spam and got a reply saying they've checked it out and have determined it's not.

lol

These are annoying, is there any risk in getting them? even if you don't open them?

Just don't click any link they send you

pixxxelz

Ah! so they're bots, I got one the other day and I thought something was off so I didn't bother replying
iyCNfaW.png

Fitts

Haha I'm glad it isn't just me. I turned on my PS4 for the first time since, like, January a month or so ago and I had 2 of these messages. Had a bunch of friends over too. I was a little embarrassed.

I got a few from UK.

But I also got a few followers on Xbox. All with zero gamerscore.

Top Bottom