• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Well... Chatbots are now a thing on PSN

I turn my setting to friend only for messages. There was a bug that broke your PSN message if you got this weird large group chat message. After that I made sure my settings were in order.

MadMod

Really annoying, had one message me the other week, reported. When i got the feedback on the report back, Sony decided it didn't break any of their terms -_-. Thanks for keeping the vermin alive.

Salmonax

I’m impressed by the amount you were willing to talk to a stranger, OP. I ignore all calls from numbers I don’t know and do the same for messages from people I don’t recognize.

I guess I may miss out on the one time out of a thousand that it turns out not to be a sales scenario, but I find that to be an acceptable ratio.

Wow so this has been going on for a while? I just had my first encounter last week, could tell right away that it was a bot because the profile has no friends/games/trophies. I replied with a Nathan Drake sticker at first, and she gave me "22/f...what r u doing?", I said "haha no thanks, bot.", and it left me alone.

Nicko

Same here. Have received multiple messages from random accounts. Have to manually go through and block accounts/remove myself from groups. Huge annoyance.

KyleCross

Not sure why anyone would have their settings on anything but "only receive messages from friends." It's just asking for bots and for salty assholes to flame you otherwise.

Dabanton

Had 2 of these today both female sounding usernames. Binned them straight away.

You have to know some lames are replying to these things though.

I've reported two of these, but when I got a response from Sony on the first case they supposedly found nothing against the rules.

I expect the same crap from the second, but at least if enough people report them, Sony may have to take action.

Yamisan

I've had my PSN account forever and just started getting tons of this spam this past week =\ Its getting out of hand.

I've reported two of these, but when I got a response from Sony on the first case they supposedly found nothing against the rules.

I expect the same crap from the second, but at least if enough people report them, Sony may have to take action.
Don't they just give you some kind of boilerplate response? I took those to mean that the bots accounts got banned. I no longer see the messages in my history at any rate.

DeviantBoi

I want to turn my settings to "friends only", but then I wouldn't have the fun of receiving rage PMs about a recent match in Smite - I like to report those for foul language.

I got the same exact string a few days ago but it was Overwatch, not Infinite Warfare. (I told her I was 'only 37.') Then I got two other bots just spamming random PSN names at me. I guess someone's script malfunctioned.

Saw them last time I turned on my ps4 as well. Can I just disable messaging from people I don't know?
Yes you can.

Linkark07

Banned
Lol, just got one this weekend while playing Persona 5. The start of the conversation was almost the same as OP posted, but instead of Bioshock, the bot said COD. I honestly thought it was a human.

Guppeth

I never get these on my main EU account, but I have JP and US accounts and they always have weird messages on the rare occasion I log in to them. They have empty friend lists and have never played an online game so I don't know how they got onto a bot's radar.

I've gotten two that start off "Are you busy??"
like wtf does that mean lol.

and i got that exact message about the random username blah blah generator cuz i was bored

when the hell did this start exactly?

Top Bottom