• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'We're the geeks, the prostitutes': Asian American actors on Hollywood's barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
More of a side note here. Maybe my Canadian Brothers and Sister can chime in.

We are much more exposed to diversity up here. In BC at least you will see lots of diversity in TV Commercials. Interracial couples are quite prominent. It helps with perception and that perception will help with the future generations.
I wouldn't say it's exactly a shining example up here.

And yet so many other works have no problem slipping that in. Not to mention they're somehow A-OK with both of them walking off screen all smiles instead?

What? LOL

They hug instead, because it felt more appropriate given the context of what just happened. Look, I understand given the stereotypes Hollywood continues to perpetuate and typecast Asian men, why somebody would think there are racist reasons upon learning that a kiss scene was removed from Jet Li and Aaliyah. However in this specific case, it simply isn't true.

From Jet Li's own words:
As regarding the kiss or no kiss situation in RMD, actually it is not as complicated as people have been suggesting. It was not really a race issue, or a Hollywood issue. Rather, regarding the kiss that was supposed to happen between Han and Trish at that end scene, the truth was, we shot it both ways. One with the kiss, and one without the kiss but the hug instead.

Why did we finally decide not to use the kiss? Well, afterward the entire film was put together, with all the drama and tension in that last scene with Han's father, we thought it might be somewhat strange and awkward for Han to have just witnessed Chou's suicide, then to come out and kiss Trish. Thus it was decided that Han should take it slowly with Trish ... do a hug first and maybe leading into a "real" relationship later. So it was not really a decision by the powers that be to prevent an inter-racial relationship from happening on screen. It just did not feel right for that moment.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040808112254/http://jetli.com/jetli/words/words_forum_jet07.php?bw=

To piggyback on the sentiment that Asian Americans don't support each other the way African Americans do; black americans don't have a country of origin to connect to the way asians do. Any Indian person can watch Bollywood if they want to see a majority of Indian people in diverse roles, same for Japanese & Chinese.

remember the scene in Master of None when Aziz's character says there isn't a indian Beyonce that uplifts their own people or whatever? Meanwhile, every chick the dude dated in his show was a white woman. Like he consciously wrote, acted & directed that his indian american character only dated white women in the first season of his show; yet his character was upset there isn't an "indian Beyonce". There probably is an "indian Beyonce", but Aziz himself didn't think to find or feature this woman, you know? Why? I don't know.

But the fact is, black americans do have a pronounced need to be represented in Amreican mass media. That's why we have Melvin Van Peebles creating entire new genres that feature black heroes kicking the man's ass, Spike Lee's & Oprah's all the way down to Issa Rae, Donald Glover & Jordan Peele's crafting specially black american stories & our people loving & being uplifted by it.

If asian americans want the equivalent of black people on the walls of Sal's Pizzeria, you have to demand it like Buggin Out & Radio Raheem.

You kinda have to smack your lips & roll your eyes so loud people can hear it the next time you see another brown haired white kid go on a flight of fantasy, even if it makes you an angry colored person.

I believe one of the CEO of a huge studio is Asian and a Chinese company own one of the biggest movie theater chain in America. I just don't understand why some strings can't be​ pulled to help change this. Why wait for Hollywood to do it when there is already influence in there.

If your friend says lets go watch an artsy french movie, what are you expecting? A movie, usually set in Europe, and everyone speaks French, right? If you saw a bunch of random people in Beijing talking in English but it was produced by a french company, would you think you just saw a french movie?

Asia has its own massive internal movies. Bollywood, Chinese movies, Japanese movies, Thai movies, Korean, etc, etc. Most of them produce MORE movies per year than Hollywood. Some of their top blockbusters actually film in foreign locations (Europe is popular for rom-coms), use their own countries stars as leads, and cast foreigners as extras. They get multiple dubs (Cantonese, Mandarin, Japanese, and Korean, or Hindi and a dozen other indian languages, etc) for domestic markets.

So when a couple in Beijing decide they'd like to see a Hollywood movie this weekend instead of a Chinese movie, do you think they want to see a movie starring an American Asian guy or girl, speaking English? Or do they want the "Hollywood" experience, which is becoming more and more constrained in terms of having a AAA lead, massive budget, massive special effects, multi ethnic cast (but white leads), and multi location shoots? Transformers, Fast and the Furious, MCU movies have created a template for a blockbuster movie and it seems like its becoming exceedingly difficult to break out of that template.

Not pulling that stuff out of my ass either, my wife is chinese and we go back to Beijing every year and while they aren't really that familiar with Hollywood movies (most of her relatives maybe watch one a year) they do know some of the top stars and they will ONLY watch those movies with them in it. The attitude is "if I want to see someone like me, I'll just watch a chinese movie, why would I watch an american movie?" and the box offices have reflected that to date. Combine that with how much control the Chinese government has over Hollywood imports (only ~20-30 foreign movies are allowed in per year, anything that feels socially disruptive is not allowed) and there are certainly going to be issues with the government concerned about how Chinese are depicted.

guek

Banned
What? LOL

They hug instead, because it felt more appropriate given the context of what just happened. Look, I understand given the stereotypes Hollywood continues to perpetuate and typecast Asian men, why somebody would think there are racist reasons upon learning that a kiss scene was removed from Jet Li and Aaliyah. However in this specific case, it simply isn't true.

From Jet Li's own words:

https://web.archive.org/web/20040808112254/http://jetli.com/jetli/words/words_forum_jet07.php?bw=
Oh sure but Superman and Lois can suck face on the still fresh corpses of Metropolis and nobody bats an eye! Dat kryptonian privilege

Oh sure but Superman and Lois can suck face on the still fresh corpses of Metropolis and nobody bats an eye! Dat kryptonian privilege

LOL Now a better question would be if Jet Li was White or Black, would they have played up the romance more between Aaliyah and had them kiss way before the climax of the film? I don't know, but it's certainly possible.

It's why I don't think the Asian character in Edge of Seventeen is all that progressive in Asian male representation despite him getting the girl in the end.

I see Star Wars: The Last Jedi has an Asian American actress named Kelly Marie Tran playing the character Rose.
screen-shot-2017-04-14-at-11-38-49-am-2.jpg

mercviper

To be fair Donnie Yen was American until 2009. (I.e when he started making big bucks after Ip Man)

That's a really weak devil's advocate. His filmography is mostly in hk cinema starting in 1983. Probably because he couldn't find any work in america until he built his name up overseas.

Dram

Can you imagine how much shit he's had to put up with or condone to get where he is? He's probably used to it.
I wonder if this is why Shyamalan never had an Indian actor star in one of his movies as the main character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom