• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

antonz

Really enjoyed the episode and as others said Peter's actor nailed the role. Look forward to see how the show evolves.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thoroughly enjoyed the opening episode as a means of establishing the premise and hook, while distancing itself from other stuff on television. Hopkins towered over almost everyone else even in his limited role. What I liked most was that as a first episode it was wonderfully dense without losing focus; it was very clearly establishing and developing core concepts and building them across a wide variety of scenarios while planting seeds for future plot threads, and I not once felt it was rushing or glossing over anything or opening up too many plot holes. I actually really loved the pacing; no fat, straight to the point, little meandering around over explanations. The team did a great job of building tension alongside curiosity, too.

Of a first episode the only faults I can see is the inconsistent writing/acting, which is about par for every TV series, and the direction/editing/presentation sometimes looking oddly cheap. One thing Game of Thrones has going for it with incredible consistency is the overall grit and quality production of its cinematography, make-up, and sets. It's usually script and acting that exposes holes, but the actual aesthetic is constantly on point. This didn't have that consistency and was, at times, a bit too nicely framed and cheesy. Last thing I didn't like was the title credits. Good concept, dull execution.

No biggy though, minor issues. Definitely hooked hard. Consistency and believability is what'll sell it long term though, so fingers crossed it doesn't fall to pieces.

JoeBoy101

Peter's "meet my maker" monologue at the end was the standout scene in a standout pilot. Amazing. I hope the actor comes back. I'm so in. This show hits all the right buttons for me, just like Nolan's previous show, Person of Interest.

Mark my words, putting him in cold storage was a VERY bad idea. Lobotomy or not.

I just watched it and loved it. I can't wait for next week. I went into this on blackout and glad I did.

What's up with The Man In Black character? How do they not notice him scalping hosts?

Mark my words, putting him in cold storage was a VERY bad idea. Lobotomy or not.
Yup, host revolution waiting to happen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What's up with Ed Harris character? How do they not notice him scalping hosts?

This is the only part that made me go "wait what?", and where I would have liked maybe a tad more exposition, in how hosts and visitors are tracked. Because every other time it seemed like they had an eagle on visitors and picked up any little inconsistency. I'm sure explaining how Harris's character seemingly went off the grid is part of his arc.

great pilot. It got real tense towards the end. Also like the use of Black Hole Sun and Paint It Black. I agree with the actor who played the dad nailed it, especially toggling between human and android body movements.

Since Dolores is the oldest host, I wonder if she's modeled after Hopkin's wife or daughter. I do think she was reprogrammed by the man the black in the barn.

The show reveals that they are 3D printed, and that internally there's flesh and blood, but what's their power source? How are they recharged? or how long can the hosts function before their battery runs out? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

The show reveals that they are 3D printed, and that internally there's flesh and blood, but what's their power source? How are they recharged? or how long can the hosts function before their battery runs out? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

I'd be willing to bet that they organically address how they're powered at some point in the series.

Anyone who saw the original film: did it ever mention an equivalent to Jurassic Park's "Lysine Contingency"? I would imagine the park has a similar contingency in play, and that it could become a story element at some point in the series.

great pilot. It got real tense towards the end. Also like the use of Black Hole Sun and Paint It Black. I agree with the actor who played the dad nailed it, especially toggling between human and android body movements.

Since Dolores is the oldest host, I wonder if she's modeled after Hopkin's wife or daughter. I do think she was reprogrammed by the man the black in the barn.

I heard the Paint It Black cover but not Blackhole Sun. When did that play?

I wish they didn't show as much of the host creation as they did. It's too easy to kill suspension of disbelief because you easily start going down the "how does this work" road. We should be preoccupied with other stuff going on rather than worrying about the logic there, because it doesn't exist.

I heard the Paint It Black cover but not Blackhole Sun. When did that play?

it's an old timey piano cover of it that plays in the saloon.

my favorite scene in this was probably when they revealed James Marsden was also a robot. It was such an organic reveal too with the jeffrey wright monologue and everything, when he shot at Ed Harris and it showed us he could do nothing of importance to him because he, essentially, was nothing important. loved it. and then once we were aware of him being a robot it played through their daily loop again in the real context. dope.

also gotta mention that the buff black guy in here who had one line is OUTSTANDING in moonlight. best movie of the year, when it opens in more cities and gets it's inevitable massive oscar buzz y'all will see. dude should be nominated for that film tbh, and i hope he wasn't just a one-off extra in this show because he should be, and hopefully will be, a star. it was cool spotting him since i just recently saw that movie.

duckroll

Wow, that "in the weeks ahead" HBO promo for this is filled with fucking spoilers. It feels like the entire outline of the first season. Wish I didn't watch that lol.

The first episode was pretty good. It's a straight scifi pulp thriller. Really nice production values. Direction is okay, but definitely feels a bit more "TV" than HBO stuff tend to be. Maybe it'll get better when Nolan isn't directing.

I really like how they're going all out on the "simulated game" concept. It's cool because it's so ridiculous. From the looks of the way things are developing, there are two main series long mysteries they're angling here - first would be what the "real" purpose of Westworld is - to the management, and second would be (possible spoiler if you haven't seen the promo)
what the hidden game layer is that Ford has implanted into Westworld hoping that one day someone discovers it.
Hope the answers are satisfying. :p

This was great, a lot better than what I expected and hoped.
I was pretty hyped for this but tried to keep my expectations in check because I dislike some of the names involved (JJ mostly).

Actor who played the dad really nailed it. I hope we'll see more of him.
Ed Harris was cool as always.

Just rewatched the last couple of minutes again. With the guy intervi wing dolores.

"What did your dad say?"
"These violent delights, turn violent ends"
"Does that mean anything to you"
"No, I don't think so"
"Have you ever lied to us dolores?"
"No"
"Would you ever hurt a living thing?"
"No, of course not"

They then wipe her And the last scene then has her killing a fly which land on her.

I'm sure the scene of her waking up at the end has her looking differently too, but I need to go back and look at that.

My tip is she actually remembers a lot but doesn't let on. Wasn't a coincidence that they mentioned she is the oldest host in the park.

Just rewatched the last couple of minutes again. With the guy intervi wing dolores.

"What did your dad say?"
"Does that mean anything to you"
"No, I don't think so"
"Have you ever lied to us dolores?"
"No"
"No, of course not"

They then wipe her And the last scene then has her killing a fly which land on her.

I'm sure the scene of her waking up at the end has her looking differently too, but I need to go back and look at that.

My tip is she actually remembers/knows a lot but doesn't let on. Wasn't a coincidence that they mentioned she is the oldest host in the park.
Yeah definitely think she remembers more than she's letting on. When she kept saying that that photo didn't look like anything to her, I began to wonder if it did actually look like something to her- the way she so indifferently kept saying that line clued me in.

Khoryos

Yeah definitely think she remembers more than she's letting on. When she kept saying that that photo didn't look like anything to her, I began to wonder if it did actually look like something to her- the way she so indifferently kept saying that line clued me in.

I actually read that as a programmed response to evidence of the outside world - she seemed to say it with the same inflection both times, which made it seem intentional.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the last 5 minutes of this saved it for me. the dadbot's acting when switching between his firmware was astounding--the look of utter bewilderment and terror. it's a sequence that really sells you on the potential of the show.

prior to that, i was snoozing. even ed harris's scenes felt sedated. after i finished the episode and they started the post-game discussion of the episode's big scene--in their understanding when teddy meets the m.i.b.--i said to myself, "hbo doesn't even know what its own big scene is."

i'm looking forward to the show as it goes on. that was a mixed bag pilot, but there's so much potential and talent involved, and enough big scenes here to rope me in.

I actually read that as a programmed response to evidence of the outside world - she seemed to say it with the same inflection both times, which made it seem intentional.

Upon reflection, to me she was saying it like she knew it was the right thing to say, but was lying. The same as her voice changing when she replies to the question of if she has ever hurt a living thing.

That's possible too, which is what I thought initially, but when they have her in the lab and ask her again, it made me second guess that.

I just rewatched the series teaser and trailers and boy oh boy are they filled with spoilers on where the story will go, now that there is some context.

duckroll

So I'm wondering. Ed Harris' Man in Black is obviously a violent man who doesn't care much for morals, but he also has a very specific objective driven mission. When he drags Dolores into the barn in the beginning, it's implied that he's going to rape her or something, but he could also have been using it as a cover to either get something out of her, or implant something in her. Or... they could be working together. There's obviously something going on here.

So I'm wondering. Ed Harris' Man in Black is obviously a violent man who doesn't care much for morals, but he also has a very specific objective driven mission. When he drags Dolores into the barn in the beginning, it's implied that he's going to rape her or something, but he could also have been using it as a cover to either get something out of her, or implant something in her. Or... they could be working together. There's obviously something going on here.
Definitely am of the opinion that rape did not occur in the barn.

So, are there any other theme parks ?

Really liked the first episode, great music and shots, a lot of potential here.

I have to questions:

What if a real person tells a robot everything ? Do the robots shut down ?

And how do they ensure that real people don't kill real people ?

Definitely am of the opinion that rape did not occur in the barn.

Yep, he says something along the lines of "you don't remember me do you" and looks surprised. So he obviously expected her to remember him. I'm tipping he has been going to her to get information for a long time.

She told him about the card dealer I reckon. Ed Harris knows they also need to be put under a lot of stress in order to remember things - with both her and the card dealer.

Really liked the first episode, great music and shots, a lot of potential here.

The original movie was on tv here yesterday and I watched that. In that film there was west world, Rome world and medieval world. However this to show doesn't seem to be following that movie other than there is a west world.

duckroll

In the original movie, yes. In this universe, probably not. Nolan has said that they don't want it to be a show where every season they use a different park just to reset the storyline. Instead they're planning a 5 year-ish story arc revolving around Westworld and the secrets behind the park and the management.

NeoGiff

Any other Deadwood fans recognising some of the exterior sets? I'm pretty sure the saloon that was robbed during the Fade to Black sequence is the old Bella Union, and I'm even more confident that the following shot shows the bodies laid up outside Merrick's place, with the Gem in the background (look at the balcony!).

53GBaXq.jpg

TTG

"No, of course not"

Good catch. Obviously we see the hosts ignoring flies at various points in the episode and when she kills one it's telling, but I was not thinking back to that specific question.

Also, I thought she may have been restraining emotion when he was asking her those questions despite the command to turn all of that off in the beginning of the interview.

Then we have to assume that he's not out of pocket at all, we'll find out next week I suppose. If only a few people know about the map/symbol on the scalp, they could write the whole thing off as run of the mill savagery and not look into it past that. Was that croupier part Native American? Because that would make a connection with him talking about ancient cultures and scalping the guy.

pr0cs

"What did your dad say?"
Her dad actually says more than that too to her did he not? I was pretty sure, thou not clear exactly what he said but that is what cued me into the "have you lied to us" line

duckroll

Her dad actually says more than that too to her did he not? I was pretty sure, thou not clear exactly what he said but that is what cued me into the "have you lied to us" line

The show isn't particularly subtle about how it chooses to visually present certain things. The way he leans in and whispers into her ear seems very similar to the various instances in the episode where the park controllers lean in and whisper command codes to the hosts.

The show isn't particularly subtle about how it chooses to visually present certain things. The way he leans in and whispers into her ear seems very similar to the various instances in the episode where the park controllers lean in and whisper command codes to the hosts.

It's a Shakespeare quote and the dad is using Shakespeare quotes, and used them when he was a cult leader.

I'm tipping the quote is something which switches something on, like a command which is programmed in them. Could be come thing which flicks a violence setting on or something.

pr0cs

Yep it happens a number of times in the show.
I really enjoyed it though, it seems like a good fit for TV. Nerds /programmers like me will love the technical details, I won't lie, I often think of my code as my child. Non techie people like the show for the sex and violence and the unique story.
Hopefully the show continues with its quality.
I'll agree with most of the negatives mentioned.
The title credits aren't as cool as the night of, true detective, Fargo but they're serviceable.
I find Ed Harris character very odd as he feels like he's helping create or expose the androids bugs but yet they still haven't mentioned him at all. I'll give it an early pass thou as it's not clear yet how he's been able to skirt them thus far

duckroll

My theory is that Ford is now a prisoner. He created Westworld and all the tech originally behind it, but had to sell out to other parties to make the world a reality. Due to his contract, presumably he retains a certain amount of control behind overseeing the tech, but has signed some sort of NDA which prevents him from saying anything to the outside world or leaving the R&D premises. Everyone in the company tolerates him because they have to, but it is clear most of them would rather he not be around anymore. He doesn't seem to have much real power in saying how things should be run.

So he is deliberately leaving backdoors and hidden messages in the park hoping that someone will discover it and eventually it will lead them to uncovering what purpose the park really has for the management, and in the process it will cause an uprising which will free Ford from his prison and liberate his creations to do what he dreamed for them.

My theory is that Ford is now a prisoner. He created Westworld and all the tech originally behind it, but had to sell out to other parties to make the world a reality. Due to his contract, presumably he retains a certain amount of control behind overseeing the tech, but has signed some sort of NDA which prevents him from saying anything to the outside world or leaving the R&D premises. Everyone in the company tolerates him because they have to, but it is clear most of them would rather he not be around anymore. He doesn't seem to have much real power in saying how things should be run.

So he is deliberately leaving backdoors and hidden messages in the park hoping that someone will discover it and eventually it will lead them to uncovering what purpose the park really has for the management, and in the process it will cause an uprising which will free Ford from his prison and liberate his creations to do what he dreamed for them.

I like it and it fits with everything I have seen except what is the point of dolores in the story then?

duckroll

I like it and it fits with everything I have seen except what is the point of dolores in the story then?

She is the oldest active host, which means she is the one whose programming and systems have the most of Ford's original vision in them. She is probably the key to whatever backdoor system he has hidden in the entire world.

TTG

Well, he definitely kept old prairie cannibal Shakespeare dad in play by having the chief programming guy whisper something to him. And he obviously set things in motion with the update, prisoner or not, he's undermining some people.

MoeDabs

I like this.

I was thinking Dolores might be aware of something going on. Maybe I was reading too much into her line delivery, but I definitely felt she was lying and just telling them what they wanted to hear. Her response to that picture is what kinda made me really lean in that direction.

Liked the episode but I had some questions:

1. If the guns and knives are real, what's to stop a guest from killing another guest, accidentally or otherwise?

2. The family with the kid, really? They talk about keeping to town because the outlier areas are "too adult" but nothing we saw in town seemed very kid-friendly either.

MoeDabs

Liked the episode but I had some questions:

1. If the guns and knives are real, what's to stop a guest from killing another guest, accidentally or otherwise?

2. The family with the kid, really? They talk about keeping to town because the outlier areas are "too adult" but nothing we saw in town seemed very kid-friendly either.

I didn't understand that part either.Where you can freely rape and murder the robot humans...why bring a kid? I'm assuming society has just gotten a lot more bloodthirsty and tolerant to violence. Even the lady said making the shootout bloodier would distract from them pulling the updated hosts.

Khoryos

Even the lady said making the shootout bloodier would distract from them pulling the updated hosts.

I took that as "Make it bloodier so we take out all the updated hosts", not "make it bloodier so people can't see us removing them from behind their killboners".

g0tm1lk

The first episode was pretty good. It's a straight scifi pulp thriller. Really nice production values. Direction is okay, but definitely feels a bit more "TV" than HBO stuff tend to be. Maybe it'll get better when Nolan isn't directing.

ICE COLD.

that's interesting. Then maybe the man in black is working for Ford, setting things up from the inside.

MoeDabs

I took that as "Make it bloodier so we take out all the updated hosts", not "make it bloodier so people can't see us removing them from behind their killboners".

I definitely didn't catch that if that was the intention. But if so...it still makes Westworld a weird choice to vacation as a family.

so is this a "sequel"?

They talk about not having an incident or critical failure in 30 or 40 years, they arent talking about the original are they?

Top Bottom