• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

We've seen the retail PlayStation VR headset and it's SPECTACULAR [POLYGON]

NH Apache

Banned
I like how the writer uses dial on the back of the headband to tighten up like it's a new thing. He's never worn a hardhat before, I guess.

Memento

I think PlayStation VR is the one VR headset with the best possibilites of "taking off". No Man's Sky, Ace Combat 7, Dreams, Gran Turismo Sports, RIGS, Rez Infinite, Summer Lesson, etc. The software looks by far the most compelling.

cakely

Ok. Maybe I'm starting to get a little bit excited about VR going mainstream.

I've been suppressing it pretty well so far.

artsi

does this gadget allow 3D gaming like the 3DS or is it simply 2D gaming with 360 view?

Both 3D and 360 view. And some other stuff.

The goal is to trick your brain to think that you're not looking at a screen, so those two are a minimum requirement.

The Rift in that pic looks very uncomfortable compared to the PSVR design.

Sony's set is actually good. Not Vive level but it will do VR justice on PS4.

To me the Sony one looks like I'll be strapping hard uncomfortable plastic to my face, where the Rift will be hugging my face with fabric :)

Plum

Having a powerful PC makes this a non-purchase for me, I'd much rather have an open source platform that anyone can develop for instead of something like this.

HOWEVER, this does look damn great and if I ever get rich I'll get one.

Disagree, to me the PSVR looks kinda like a plastic toy, I much prefer the look of the consumer Rift:

Especially how it's covered in fabric. Of course, I personally don't care how the VR device looks while I'm wearing it, since, well, I won't be looking at it :) I'll be happy with my PSVR even if it looks ugly as hell, as long as it is comfortable and has games I like.

I feel like the PSVR looks like one of those dreams from the future.
While the Rift looks like it's covering my eyes to go sleepy.

I'll finally be able to use the Move controllers I bought on sale from Amazon years ago

PlayStation Move, Sony's attempt to latch on the motion control gaming wave.

Considered a failed produced by the masses.

Now will make its glorious return with PSVR.

Sony once again being forward thinking... Wow.

/s

No but in all seriousness, it is funny that the Move... A five year old product that didn't exactly set the world on fire will see second life with VR.

You just said "uncomfortable plastic"

Yeah, I was saying that it "looks" like something uncomfortable and hard to strap to your face, while the fabric-covered Oculus Rift "looks" like something that would hug your face in softness :) I know people have said the PSVR is comfortable, I was just talking about the physical looks of the thing. To me the PSVR looks like a plastic toy pretending to be futuristic, to me Oculus Rift consumer version looks much more slick and refined.

To me the Sony one looks like I'll be strapping hard uncomfortable plastic to my face, where the Rift will be hugging my face with fabric :)

With PSVR you don't strap anything to your face. It sits on your head and the screen is suspended in front of your face. You then pull the screen as close as you need to suit your eyesight.

It's kind of like wearing a welding mask.

It's remarkably light and very comfortable.

EDIT - I've tried PSVR (prototype) and Oculus DK1. Admittedly, things have moved on for both units since then, but from that experience I found PSVR was much more comfortable.

With PSVR you don't strap anything to your face. It sits on your head and the screen is suspended in front of your face. You then pull the screen as close as you need to suit your eyesight.

It's kind of like wearing a welding mask.

It's remarkably light and very comfortable.

Right, same with Oculus Rift and hopefully Vive (though they haven't shown their new model off yet). I'm still just talking about how it looks, NOT how it functions.

Right, same with Oculus Rift and hopefully Vive (though they haven't shown their new model off yet). I'm still just talking about how it looks, NOT how it functions.

When I tried OR it strapped on to your face like Ski goggles - it was tight a bit front heavy. Not had the pleasure of the latest models though.

Yeah, I can see how PSVR looks a little hard and uncomfortable, but the reality is very different. Perhaps something Sony needs to address (but as with all things VR, using is believing.)

Rift is still diving goggles.

PSVR is the only one doing the welding mask thing. The added advantage to that besides moving the pressure points is you can flip it up like a visor

+ PS Move

Nope, just need the DS4, which was designed with a light bar on it similar to the Move's specifically for this purpose, which is included with every PS4 sold, so my list remains the same. There may be games that play better with a Move, or are designed for it, but it's not a reqired piece of hardware to make use of PSVR.

Yeah, but if the device doesn't come with a Move, then very few games will support Move control. If it comes with one, lots of games will support it. So it's best if the device comes with one Move.

If that's the case and it comes included with the VR Headset, then it's not an additional cost, and my list again remains the same.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Can you guys imagine if this, by accident, becomes the next big thing and sells like crazy? Imagine this moving millions more PS4's...

I think if the PSVR can sell 10 million units, it will be a HUGE success. Just sell 10 million units!

LifeLike

I'm curious about this "processing box" that the headset is plugged in.

I've had the chance to try the PSVR last month. Only tried one game, Super Hyper Cube. It was nice but its not really what I wanted to try. Anyways, the processing unit is really small.

plsyatation-vr-box.jpg

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
For people asking where you plug in your headphones, it's on the actual unit. Look at the Conan gif, there's a cable dangling off the front left of the headset, I assume that's the headphones cable.

As for how many pieces of equipment you need to use PSVR, it's three

PlayStation 4
PlayStation Eye Camera
PlayStation VR Headset

Jesus it's like we're back in 2003 or something

Headphone jack is in inline remote of the cable itself. The cable dangling off under the headset, is where the mic will be.

Here's the cropped photo of me in the PS VR taken yesterday. You can see the headphone wire going into the inline remote portion on the cable:

JP

I have to admit that unless something goes horribly wrong in the next few months, I'll be getting one the day it launches. This is something that I used to dream about when I was a kid but with 80s style graphics, this is so far beyond that.

I'm not sure if it's the same for people who started gaming much more recently but for me, who's first console was the Atari 2600 in the late '70s, this is the thing that everything has been leading up to. Every step was leading directly to these VR headsets that we'll be getting over the next few years.

Really can't wait for this.

Shoeless

I have to admit that unless something goes horribly wrong in the next few months, I'll be getting one the day it launches. This is something that I used to dream about when I was a kid but with 80s style graphics, this is so far beyond that.

I'm not sure if it's the same for people who started gaming much more recently but for me, who's first console was the Atari 2600 in the late '70s, this is the thing that everything has been leading up to. Every step was leading directly to these VR headsets that we'll be getting over the next few years.

It's baby steps. I'm from the same era, and even though I'm excited for this and will be day-one-ing it as well, I still remember William Gibson's Cyberspace trilogy, and the promise of neuro-simulation that was eventually fully realized in the Matrix films. I think this is the black & white, silent version of what we'll be getting someday with a less evil version of the Matrix simulation technology.

I'm 19, and VR is something I've been dreaming of for a very long time.

Next thing that needs to be taken care of is really amazing AI.

autoduelist

/s

No but in all seriousness, it is funny that the Move... A five year old product that didn't exactly set the world on fire will see second life with VR.

I think they had vr on their minds when they designed move. People even talked about it at release, how cool it would be with VR... to think they weren't thinking that too seems silly to me.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yeah, but it's still there. You can see gaps between pixels on essentially *any* normal 1080p display...and it's emphasized in VR. There's probably a diffusion layer to help, but it's there.

Still, though, it's not much of an issue anymore.

People complaining about screen door on the new HMDs simply don't understand the screen door effect that existed on the DK1.

We called it a screen door effect, because it was literally like looking at the world through a screen door.

Rift is still diving goggles.

PSVR is the only one doing the welding mask thing. The added advantage to that besides moving the pressure points is you can flip it up like a visor
The consumer version of the Oculus Rift, you put it on your head kinda like a baseball cap, not like diving goggles. The first time you put it on, you adjust the top and side straps, and then every time after that, you just put it on top of your head and the eyepiece hangs in front of your eyes and automatically adjusts itself to fit your face. It is not being held in place by your face like diving goggles, most of the weight it carried on the top of your head.

Here's Oculus discussing the development of the straps that allow it to work like this - skip to 28:52 if it isn't already there:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=wml-yZqnQ8U#t=28m52s

tusken77

/s

They were being forward thinking.

From the Project Morpheus wiki: "In early 2014, Sony Computer Entertainment research and development engineer Anton Mikhailov said his team had been working on Project Morpheus for more than three years. According to Mikhailov, the PlayStation 3 Move peripheral, itself revealed in June 2009, was designed with unspecified, future head-mounted technology in mind. "[W]e specced it and built it to be a VR controller, even though VR wasn’t a commodity. As engineers, we just said it was the right thing to do. At the time, we didn't have a consumer-grade project that we could work on, but it was definitely designed with that vision in mind." Shuhei Yoshida, the president of Sony's worldwide studios, also said the project started as "grassroots" activity among engineers and programmers, which came into focus in 2010 once the Move controller had been released."

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
They were being forward thinking.

From the Project Morpheus wiki: "In early 2014, Sony Computer Entertainment research and development engineer Anton Mikhailov said his team had been working on Project Morpheus for more than three years. According to Mikhailov, the PlayStation 3 Move peripheral, itself revealed in June 2009, was designed with unspecified, future head-mounted technology in mind. "[W]e specced it and built it to be a VR controller, even though VR wasn’t a commodity. As engineers, we just said it was the right thing to do. At the time, we didn't have a consumer-grade project that we could work on, but it was definitely designed with that vision in mind." Shuhei Yoshida, the president of Sony's worldwide studios, also said the project started as "grassroots" activity among engineers and programmers, which came into focus in 2010 once the Move controller had been released."
Yeah.

There is even video evidence from public talks by Magic Lab engineers where VR is being talked about in relation with the Move from around ~2010.

Of course you'll get ignorant "Failed to latch on, just copied the wii" despite actually being tech wise about absolute positioning instead of gestural recognition.

C'est la vie

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I anticipate heavy shortages at launch do to conservative production from Sony.

And I cannot believe the incredible near-release software support PSVR is slated to have.

Headphone jack is in inline remote of the cable itself. The cable dangling off under the headset, is where the mic will be.

Here's the cropped photo of me in the PS VR taken yesterday. You can see the headphone wire going into the inline remote portion on the cable:

qOIlUad.jpg

Ah, I see, very nice.

One thing I absolutely hate about the VR I've tried (Oculus Dev Kit and whatever the other one with the weird as fuck controllers) is how many cables there are dangling out of it. I understand you need at the minimum one, to send power and video signal over (which from what I can tell is what the PSVR has) but a dangling microphone, then another dangling cord for headphones, that sucks. The other one I used (not Oculus) in particular was so damned heavy and moving around with it felt so limited because of all the friggin cables running out the back.

Do we know if PSVR (or I guess PS4 in general?) can use Bluetooth headsets?

Top Bottom