• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What about a Game of the Generation vote?

StuBurns

Banned
This has come up over the last year a few times, sometimes by me, but I always thought it might be a fun idea. Just as the GotY threads work, but every game released last gen (last gen being probably DS, PSP, 360, PS3, Wii and PC from '06 to '13).

To be clear, I'm not suggesting this be the thread, if the first response is just 'Xenoblade' or whatever, I'll know you didn't read the OP, or you did, and are clearly very humorous.

I waited till now because I wanted to let the dust settle on DS2, probably the last high profile last-gen release, and I don't think it has any chance of winning anyway, so we don't need to worry about that new car smell.

Thoughts?

I wanted to do something like this, but have it be done properly like the GOTY threads we do annually. Those are always my favorite threads, especially because they enforce people to actually think and write SOMETHING about their favorite games instead of just going 1. The Last of Us and walking off into the sunset.

Pretty sure it's been discussed a couple times around. Don't know about an OT or anything. But yeah, I think last gen is pretty much over now.

I feel like a problem with a GOTG vote is that the generation being over is more of a fluid statement than you would think. GOTY votes have the benefit of having very strictly defined time criteria.

What if someone really likes Tales of Zestiria? It's like saying in 2007, yeah, PS2 generation is done, we can close the book on that, and then Persona 4 coming out.

These aren't cataclysmic examples that would sink the whole thing, just something to think about, I guess.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...theoretically, would we include subcategories, like best PS3, 360, etc..., either taken from the GOTG lists by proxy, or separate vote?

In any event, it feels like this could get pretty rough, last gen was got a little long in the tooth.

Also, kinda this.

I feel like a problem with a GOTG vote is that the generation being over is more of a fluid statement than you would think. GOTY votes have the benefit of having very strictly defined time criteria.

Ridesh

Banned
Yep, it's a good time to do it, but if you want it to be done properly, we will have to wait at least 5 months cause the GOTY 2014 thread will occupy most of december and january.

Wynnebeck

Banned
1. Game would have to be from between 2005-2013.
2. Game can be either multiplatform or exclusive, however the game can not have been cross-gen eg. PS2-PS3 or PS3-PS4.
3. Top 10 list just like in GotY threads with explanations why.

I think it could work. It would be a highly debated thread come results time.

A thought just dawned on me.

Hypothetically, lets say Metal Gear Solid 4 won GAFGOTG. Would it then become the ultimate GOAT to end all GOATs? A two-time (two-time!) GAF GOTY and GOTG winner. The reaction on here would be amazing.

Much as I love MGS4, it won't win

Why vote when you can play?

Actually I think a Game of the Generation thread would be a good place to pick up on games from last gen you might have missed that are worth playing.

That said, I think we can all guess at least half of what the top 10 would be already regardless of how you feel about the games personally (Dark Souls, SMG, Uncharted 2, TLOU, GTAV)

StuBurns

Banned
A thought just dawned on me.

Hypothetically, lets say Metal Gear Solid 4 won GAFGOTG. Would it then become the ultimate GOAT to end all GOATs? A two-time (two-time!) GAF GOTY and GOTG winner. The reaction on here would be amazing.

Much as I love MGS4, it won't win
Yeah, I don't think you'll need to worry about that.

I don't think the winner itself will be that exciting, it's either Mario Galaxy or Dark Souls most likely, but I'd really love to read the thread, all the lists, because the stuff that's top three isn't going to be surprising, but what's someone's seventh or eighth favorite? What's the winning indie game? It's the personal lists, and that awesome data breakdown we get that'd be really interesting I think.

Zabuza

Banned
I'd be very into this. It'd give me good chance to look at last gen and really think about what I thought the best games were.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
TLOU would win and the thread would become a bloodbath.

Sounds like fun

Definitely wither Last of Us or Dark Souls, but I'm pretty sure is going to be Last of Us.

I'm not a fan of the series but I was under the impression that Demon's Souls was the more popular game?

Floridian

If a Gaf list was made, #1 should be
Super Mario Galaxy 2
, but it will probably end up being
The last of Us
. Thank goodness for personal opinions though.

1. Game would have to be from between 2005-2013.
2. Game can be either multiplatform or exclusive, however the game can not have been cross-gen eg. PS2-PS3 or PS3-PS4.
3. Top 10 list just like in GotY threads with explanations why.

I think it could work. It would be a highly debated thread come results time.

Not allowing cross gen titles seem "unfair" for lack of a better word. By those criteria Persona 5 (and any other cross gen title) would out of the running of all GOTG deliberations regardless of generation. I think a better restriction would be: any game that came out between 01/01/2005 - 31/12/2013 or any game that come out on either PS3, Xbox 360 or Wii.

Edit: Handhelds are another problem. Technically PSP and Nintendo DS should be part of last generation, but leaving out all 3DS and Vita games seems like something that wouldn't sit well with a lot of people. The best way to go about about might just be to make all handheld games within the 2005-2013 timeframe electable in the same way as PC games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its Dark Souls, everyone knows it

TLOU would win and the thread would become a bloodbath.

Sounds like fun

I'm not a fan of the series but I was under the impression that Demon's Souls was the more popular game?

What? No even Sony GAF mentions the game much. Dark Souls is really popular here, among Sony, Xbox and PC fans alike.

You'd have to limit it to one game per franchise (eg Mario Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are lumped into one game), or else games with sequels would be guaranteed to lose.

Crayolan

What if someone really likes Tales of Zestiria? It's like saying in 2007, yeah, PS2 generation is done, we can close the book on that, and then Persona 4 coming out.

These aren't cataclysmic examples that would sink the whole thing, just something to think about, I guess.

I'd be interesting in seeing what the majority opinions on GAF are for GOTG, but yea, this'd be a big issue OP. We'd need some pretty strict rules on what counts as "last gen" for this work.

I'd be down. I'm guessing uncharted 2, tlou, demons/dark souls, Mario Galaxy will be top contenders. Because I'm a mystic, ofc.

1.The last of us (or RDR/Dark souls/insert popular GAF game)

Last of Us and Red Dead sold millions of copies each. This leads me to believe either GAF buys a lot games or they must be popular outside of GAF as well. Could go either way, I suppose.

Red Dead is the best game of the generation.

Sure, I'll throw away my vote on Dishonored, like I threw it away for the Democrats in Republican-controlled Arizona.

It's probably going to be The Last of Us.

Top Bottom