• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What about a Game of the Generation vote?

DOWN

Banned
I'm up for it.

Game of the Generation:

vJE423.gif

Honorable Mentions:

mGLl3M.gif

v94eaO.gif

KREeYk.gif

v1Y46Z.gif

Last one y'all so I don't kill the connections
yXV86L.gif

EDIT:
jk one more
vZWQYz.gif

randomkid

I feel like a problem with a GOTG vote is that the generation being over is more of a fluid statement than you would think. GOTY votes have the benefit of having very strictly defined time criteria.

What if someone really likes Tales of Zestiria? It's like saying in 2007, yeah, PS2 generation is done, we can close the book on that, and then Persona 4 coming out.

These aren't cataclysmic examples that would sink the whole thing, just something to think about, I guess.

Lord help us if we hold up this vote for a Tales game. Waiting for P5 might have been more reasonable but now that's it's on PS4 too I say full speed ahead. Thankfully this generation the end has been more discrete than last time, if you check Wikipedia upcoming lists there really is nothing left, even Japan's remaining bits are gonna be on Vita or PS4 too.

1. Game would have to be from between 2005-2013.
2. Game can be either multiplatform or exclusive, however the game can not have been cross-gen eg. PS2-PS3 or PS3-PS4.
3. Top 10 list just like in GotY threads with explanations why.

I think it could work. It would be a highly debated thread come results time.

I'm on board with these rules, add smartphones and tablets to the platform list in the OP, disqualify PS2/GC/GBA only, and we're good to go. Someone PM timetokill or Anihawk and let's get this started. We all know who the winners will be but I wanna read mini-essays from all the cool people!

So what happens when a game is voted the greatest of all time? Does that game receive the honorary distinction of the Nobel GAF Prize or something? Is Pluto renamed in that game's honor? Too many questions?

I'd be down for a vote as long as everybody's nomination counts, and every voter either gets - 1 vote, or an infinite amount of votes (in the pool of games).

DOWN

Banned
1. Game would have to be from between 2005-2013.
2. Game can be either multiplatform or exclusive, however the game can not have been cross-gen eg. PS2-PS3 or PS3-PS4.
3. Top 10 list just like in GotY threads with explanations why.

I think it could work. It would be a highly debated thread come results time.

And for those who don't seem to understand cross-gen, it's only when the game was developed for launch on multiple generations. So The Last of Us would be last gen. It's port was not planned until after it's finalized launch as a last gen title.

randomkid

And for those who don't seem to understand cross-gen, it's only when the game was developed for launch on multiple generations. So The Last of Us would be last gen. It's port was not planned until after it's finalized launch as a last gen title.

Yup, I think the rules are pretty simple and straightforward. Sleeping Dogs and Last of Us are last gen, Destiny, Titanfall, and Persona 5 are not.

I think the time is fast approaching for a GOTG vote, but not yet. There are still non-shovelware games coming out on the 7th gen. Maybe next year.

I think there should be some hefty criteria as well. The game can't be cross-gen, though I don't know if HD remasters would count in this. Also, possibly there should be tiered voting, bracket style due to the sheer volume of games considered. Also a platform specific GOTG too.

Though my vote will still be Red Dead Redemption without a doubt.

Yamka

Banned
RDR for sure.

TLOU was a great story with stellar presentation. But it was a mediocre GAME. Game elements were janky - non-reaction to Ellie, but overreaction to the player character, bullet sponges, etc. etc.

It was not a GOTG GAME. It had GOTG presentation, not gameplay.

CHC

This is a good idea and I'd certainly submit a list.

Not sure I could roll my eyes enough when GOTG turns out to be
Last of Us
though.

DOWN

Banned
RDR for sure.

TLOU was a great story with stellar presentation. But it was a mediocre GAME. Game elements were janky - non-reaction to Ellie, but overreaction to the player character, bullet sponges, etc. etc.

It was not a GOTG GAME. It had GOTG presentation, not gameplay.

I found the gameplay pretty thrilling to sneak around in and work with. RDR is a great pick though.

I'd definitely love to hear detailed thoughts in a thread for all these.

I'll do it. As long as we're actually going to be pushing for the thread to require commentary. No empty posts. There could be some interesting (and terrible) conversations to come out of that thread.
I have a crazy idea, what if only GAF game of the year winners were allowed to be voted on?
I have an answer. No.

Ridesh

Banned
GAF Top 10 would be something like this:

Top 1-3:
Dark Souls
The Last of Us
Super Mario Galaxy

Top 4-8:
Uncharted 2
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
GTA V
Portal 2

Top 9-10:
Metal Gear Solid 4? BioShock? Journey? Xenoblade Chronicles? Bayonetta? Fallout 3 / New Vegas? Skyrim?

JCX

Why but just take every GAF GOTY from those years, then pit them against each other? Is there a list of all the GAF GOTYs?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the real game of the generation if you want to be analitical about it is probably world of warcraft tho, if a PC-only release counts (as as weird as "generations" are to define on PC)

it spanned the entire generation (and beyond), it was hugely influencial, super popular, there most likely will never be another like it (unlike Dark Souls or Last of Us for example), and it defined a genre.

DOWN

Banned
the real game of the generation if you want to be analitical about it is probably world of warcraft tho, if a PC-only release counts (as as weird as "generations" are to define on PC)

it spanned the entire generation (and beyond), it was hugely influencial, super popular, there most likely will never be another like it (unlike Dark Souls or Last of Us for example), and it defined a genre.

We are mostly talking generation as defined by console eras timespan, so 2005-2013 on PC/PS3/360/Wii/Handhelds and it must have released only on that gen during that gen.

StuBurns

Banned
Why but just take every GAF GOTY from those years, then pit them against each other? Is there a list of all the GAF GOTYs?
I don't like this idea, because the lists would be super boring, and people might not get to actually vote for their favorite game, as it probably didn't win its year.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

If we are going that route then Call of Duty 4 is the GOTG since it influenced the whole game industry.

AniHawk

I feel like a problem with a GOTG vote is that the generation being over is more of a fluid statement than you would think. GOTY votes have the benefit of having very strictly defined time criteria.

What if someone really likes Tales of Zestiria? It's like saying in 2007, yeah, PS2 generation is done, we can close the book on that, and then Persona 4 coming out.

These aren't cataclysmic examples that would sink the whole thing, just something to think about, I guess.

this was actually the main reason i held off on the ps2 generation one for quite a while. because it was 2010 and sakura wars and mana khemia 2 were still coming out for the machine, as were other multiplatform games.

i mean someone out there might have really liked guitar hero '08 for the ps2, and have fond memories for just that version. instead of doing it in 2009 like i had wanted, i just held off. when i stopped doing them, i stopped caring.

if we do a game of the generation vote, i would actually like to do that generation from 1998-2010. the one that had the ps2, gba, dreamcast, xbox, and gamecube. the only issue here would be the pc, but i think as long as people aren't being unreasonable, it should be fine. my personal way to do it would be to include pc from 1998-2004, but including both half-life *and* half-life 2 as part of the same generation feels really silly.

for this generation that's just ending, i think it would be good to do it in 2015, when really all the remaining titles are finishing up. and then you can count 2004-2015 as the timing for it, from the ds's launch all through the ps3's last biggest games (persona 5, mgs5, etc)

Yeah, Braid should have won both of those times, but this is clearly not the same situation. Dark Souls would crush Skyrim.

I'm not actually arguing that Skyrim would beat Dark Souls. Rather, I'm saying that a game that barely got third place in its own GOTY year doesn't have a huge chance of winning GOTG.

TSM

There should probably be another couple year wait. Two of the last gen consoles are still trucking and getting new games. This wait would also allow a cool down period so maybe people will actually be able to remember that there were games that came out before TLoU, Dark Souls and GTA V.

Eusis

Lord help us if we hold up this vote for a Tales game. Waiting for P5 might have been more reasonable but now that's it's on PS4 too I say full speed ahead. Thankfully this generation the end has been more discrete than last time, if you check Wikipedia upcoming lists there really is nothing left, even Japan's remaining bits are gonna be on Vita or PS4 too.
If we break it into genres I think it's reasonable to wait a bit for one of the higher profile ones to hit. Nevermind Persona 4 wasn't even announced until late 2007 at best, possibly 2008 given what I found in Sept 2007 stated there was a Persona game in development... for PS3. And I doubt they had that lined up before P4.

It may help to let this generation sit for a bit anyway. Fortunately I think most Japanese support may be jumping to PS4 sooner than later unlike PS2 to PS3. Stuff from these smaller developers hitting there and P5 being cross gen says everything I think.
The Last of Us already won before it even started.
It'd be easy enough to make a Dark Souls crack as a reply, but honestly I can see it boiling down to one of those two in the end depending on personal inclination for narrative versus gameplay. Especially as in that regard neither let up fully on the "opposite" (TLoU may not be what I want out of a video game but it's as great as a more linear, narrative driven action game can be for me, while Dark Souls has some fascinating lore lurking under the surface and it's interesting following the character arcs of the NPCs you encounter.)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
We are mostly talking generation as defined by console eras timespan, so 2005-2013 on PC/PS3/360/Wii/Handhelds and it must have released only on that gen during that gen.

360 came out in 2004, same as WOW

If we are going that route then Call of Duty 4 is the GOTG since it influenced the whole game industry.

I dont disagree with COD4 either, certainly more than The Last of Us for example

Top Bottom