• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2012)

Ceebs

So I finished Royal Flash and had some trouble finding a good book on my shelf to read after that - after Wodehouse and Fraser, stuff like Clan of the Cave Bear and The Rule of Four were practically unreadable (though I do want to revisit them later).

And then I remembered I'd bought:

YBkLR.jpg

And hey, that's more like it! Immediately up there with Jeeves and Flashman, the writing is sogood, the story is great too. I love the rhythm of the writing.

I fucking LOVED this book. I should read it again soon.

Protome

Finally finished Warbreaker.
tumblr_m2h13i4lyI1qas784o1_250.jpg

It's kinda slow, and not as good as Sanderson's mistborn trilogy, but I enjoyed it.

Next up i'm reading this...

tumblr_m2h31v04cY1qas784o1_500.jpg

and then Pushing Ice.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
51M5Y2AnMPL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Finished Silesian Station a couple of days ago. Enjoyable but just like its predecessor it lacks tension which is a bit surprising for a book about a journalist who is spying for both the US government, the Russians and the Germans. Watching the beginning of WW2 unfold as seen from within the 3rd Reich is fascinating, it's a very well researched book but there's simply too much research. I don't want to know the name of every Berlin street and square the protagonist passes by, I don't need to know what he's eating, at what time and in which restaurant.

For some reason I'm still interested in the other two books in the series though. But first ...

518eSXatEqL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ah, this is so much better. I'm only 60 pages in but from the first pages it's clear that Jennings can write. It's a big book (750 pages) but this is going to be fun.

AcciDante

BladeItself.jpg

New fantasy series, GET! Loved it. Similar to ASOIAF in scale, but not nearly as dense/complex. Keeps its focus on its main characters with little great houses and political intrigue, though there is some. Great characters, cool settings, some good humor, and great action.

THE BLOODYNINE!

Protome

Has anyone read the Witcher novels?

Are they any good?

Only one of the novels is translated into English, so if you can't read Polish I wouldn't really recommend them.
However the short-story compilation "The Last Wish" is translated and utterly fantastic.

moojito

enders-game.jpg

Ordson Scott Card - Ender's game

It's actually really good! I have some kind of aversion to books considered classics. I keep thinking they'll be some kind of impenetrable literary fog, like reading Shakespeare or something. This is a very interesting story, and is fun to read.

I'm reminded a lot of the Vorkosigan saga while reading it, and I see the first of that series was published a year after this. I wonder if Bujold has to fend of suggestions of being influenced by this often?

Koroviev

no, but I've seen Blade Runner :p

I'm not really interested in Phillip K. Dick, so I haven't read any of his books yet

Personally, I enjoyed the novel much more than the film. Despite having read the book first, I found the film to be dull and difficult to follow. The book is not too long, so you might want to check it out from the library.

Ratrat

Finished Judas Unchained which never redeemed itself.
Now reading:
YOzkJ.jpg

Unlike the movie I'm finding it hilarious. book Francis > movie Francis.

For some reason I'm still interested in the other two books in the series though. But first ...

518eSXatEqL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Ah, this is so much better. I'm only 60 pages in but from the first pages it's clear that Jennings can write. It's a big book (750 pages) but this is going to be fun.

Absolutely loved that book. Recommended for anyone that enjoys The Long Ships.

survivor

Banned
Making my way slowly through The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle . Enjoying what I have read so far.

I started reading Sanderson's The Alloy of Law. It's not bad, though I prefer the Mistborn trilogy thus far.
I enjoyed the action more in Alloy of Law than the trilogy. Can't wait to see what he does next with the universe.

Clegg

I've read most of Sandersons work and Way of Kings has been my favourite.

I thought it was a trilogy at first but then I went online and saw that he is planning 10 books for the series. How does Sanderson manage all this? He has WoT, the continuing Mistborn franchise and he even has time to write a stand alone novel.

The man is a machine.

Clegg

I'm three quarters of the way through Crime and Punishment. The whole experience comes as a bit of a shock after reading mostly science fiction and fantasy.

I've never read anything quite like it.

Dostoevsky makes everything seem so real.

Koroviev

I'm three quarters of the way through Crime and Punishment. The whole experience comes as a bit of a shock after reading mostly science fiction and fantasy.

I've never read anything quite like it.

Dostoevsky makes everything seem so real.

Yeah, it's an incredible novel. It's almost hard to believe that it was published during the 1800s. You should definitely read "The Idiot" and "The Grand Inquisitor" as well :)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Is there any translation of Crime and Punishment that's recommended over others?

Koroviev

Is there any translation of Crime and Punishment that's recommended over others?

It's a fairly contentious issue. The original Garnett translation remains very readable and is in the public domain, so it can be had for free. Other translations are more expensive, but some offer informative annotations and possibly improved translation. My recommendation would be that you sample the prospective translations, then choose the one which suits you.

Now, if we're talking about Mikhail Bulgakov's "The Master and Margarita," then the original translation is to be avoided. It's not so much unreadable as it it unwieldy. That said, there are much better translations available, some with annotations, for the same price. It really depends on the novel in question.

x-Lundz-x

Hey all, hoping this is the right place to ask:

How are the Hyperion and Wheel of Time novels? Halfway through Dance with Dragons (which I'm loving) so I'll need something new.

The most amazing series of books I have ever read, and I read a lot. Should be at the top of your list if you are a fantasy fan.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Finished reading The Hunger Games about a week back. It definitely got stronger as it went on, and as a whole it ended up being a pretty decent book, I'm not sure I get the fuss. Interesting enough that I'll likely finish the trilogy eventually though.

I hate to admit it, but I am just now reading this for the first time -

u2FMl.jpg

1984 - George Orwell

Fantastic so far. Im about halfway through and I wish I had read this when I was in high school or junior high.

Thanks guys.

I'll have a look at "The Last Wish"

Hopefully they'll translate the rest of them.

A third book, the Time of Contempt, will be published in December.

"Last Wish" is great, it is a stand-alone set of short stories, Sapkowski wrote it first.

Time of Contempt is not really a "third" book, it is 2nd out of 5 books which make main story of the Witcher. All 5 books connect to each other.

Fjordson

prBOl.jpg

Really enjoying the fact that it isn't only about GTA, but rather the formation and growth of Rockstar Games as a whole.

Not expecting anything too revelatory, considering how rarely the Houser brothers are in the spotlight, and that this is an "unauthorized history", but it's quite a fun read nonetheless.

TheCrippledGod.jpg

Just finished the main part of the Malazan series. Skipped over Esslemont stuff though so I'm gonna reread the entire thing in a couple years when Esslemont finishes his projected 3 more books. Great series overall. Very rewarding experience.

gsCoverSm.jpg

I have a pretty big backlog. For now on to the Dresden files. After the cliffhanger at the end of Changes I've been desperately awaiting to see what happened. Took a lot of self control to not quickly read Ghost Story but I promised myself to finish Malazan in all in a row.

Just finished up Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

of_mice_and_men.jpg

I'm big into classic literature, and this was no exception. Great characters, and it had a sense of foreboding throughout that kept me flying through it.

Now I'm just starting The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt

sister.jpg

Just started it tonight and I'm 100 pages in so far, and it's another great novel. It was short-listed for the Booker Prize, so it's not surprising that it's so good. It's by a fellow Canadian, and it's a western with a great sense of humour that still maintains the grimy setting and misanthropic worldview typical of the period. The protagonist, Eli Sisters, is already evolving, so I'm hooked to see how he tries to mesh his newfound desires with his current lifestyle and commitments. I still have a ways to go, but I'd already recommend it to anyone who's interested.

Koroviev

Just finished up Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

of_mice_and_men.jpg

I'm big into classic literature, and this was no exception. Great characters, and it had a sense of foreboding throughout that kept me flying through it.

Yeah, easily one of the best novels I had to read in high school. Have you read anything else by Steinbeck? I also really enjoyed "The Winter of Our Discontent."

JGS

Banned
Finished Sphere and it did not have a crappy ending at all. Such a weird book and I learned a lit of things about the science world reading it including feuds. At any point in time it apeared that Crichton was favoring a particular mindset and then he balanced it out.

Although the stories aren't alike, this book reminds me so much of a novelization for LOST. So much mystery that is summed up in somewhat convenient ways, but the explanation process was top notch all the way to the ending.

I can't imagine a movie working for this except for the ending since it was overall pretty dull if not for the conversations bet, so now I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Mastadon

Banned
Just finished:

SRYR0.jpg

Thought it was pretty great. Very well researched, and Holland's writing style manages to keep it engaging and approachable throughout. Will definitely be picking up Persian Fire if it's anywhere near as good.

Moving on to:

sBmOP.jpg

I've heard so pretty mixed reviews on it, so I'll go in with an open mind.

Yeah, easily one of the best novels I had to read in high school. Have you read anything else by Steinbeck? I also really enjoyed "The Winter of Our Discontent."

I've only read Of Mice and Men, but I do have a copy of The Grapes of Wrath that I'll get to soon. Maybe once I finish the previously-mentioned The Sisters Brothers and The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.

I read this a while back, and while I'm interested in the subject, I don't like the way the author formulates his arguments. It's not fresh in my mind, but I remember feeling like many of the arguments stopped at the very simple reporting of Bad Things Bad People Who Are Religious Have Done, but that it failed to identify anything inherent to religion itself, as a structure, that might cause those behaviors. I could be way off at this point, though... I just remember feeling let down.

As for myself, I'm currently continuing my journey to the Dark Tower (along with my girlfriend and another friend) and am just now stepping into The Wastelands.
4f55e03ae7a0eb657650b110.L.jpg

I'm also about to wrap up my second reading of Born to Run, which I'm finding to be just as inspirational and infectious as I did the first time.
cover_pb.jpg

After that it will be a matter of impulse as to what I read next. There are so many samples and daily deal purchases queued up on my Kindle that I'm having a hard time deciding what to read.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Not much time for reading these days, but finished this yesterday:

2165.jpg

The Old Man and the Sea

I enjoyed it, but need some time to digest. I just saw a Midnight in Paris as well, so I can totally envision Hemingway talking like his prose.

Sorry to intrude on the conversation, but speaking of Steinbeck, I really enjoyed the Log from the Sea of Cortez.

I read this a while back, and while I'm interested in the subject, I don't like the way the author formulates his arguments. It's not fresh in my mind, but I remember feeling like many of the arguments stopped at the very simple reporting of Bad Things Bad People Who Are Religious Have Done, but that it failed to identify anything inherent to religion itself, as a structure, that might cause those behaviors. I could be way off at this point, though... I just remember feeling let down.
I'm halfway through.

He hasn't dissected the Bible on a moral level that is, point-for-point or claim-by-claim which one may desire, but I don't think that means he's grazed over the concept of morality or the teachings that the book espouses.
I think he has shown quite clearly that the Bible, the Old Testament, and God all promote slavery, genocide, sexual abuse, amongst other morally treasonable things.

It seems to me that in Hitchens' view, these things should disgust the reader enough to take the entire book with a grain of salt in regard to morality.

And I see your point about the "bad religion has done" but I think that something can be inferred about the entire enterprise of religion given all of the bad that it has done.
Even the Bible teaches that you should judge a tree by it's fruit, thus, he shows all the bad that has come from religion and asks that one respond accordingly.

mike23

RI5xE.jpg

Pre-ordered this a while ago. Kind of pissed that Amazon doesn't deliver ebooks at midnight.

cFwCt.jpg

Just finished this. I liked it, going to continue the series after Tricked.

edit: nevermind, just got Tricked delivered. Looks like they do it at 1am est

Top Bottom