• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BumRush

I just finished Orphan X. I really enjoyed the spy/assassin aspect of it. Very solid thriller.

41w-4vFx2RL.jpg

Agreed. Try "I Am Pilgrim" if you're looking for something else (amazing) in the genre

jiiikoo

Banned
So I ordered the Neil Gaiman book "American Gods" from Folio Society about a month ago and it still hasn't arrived, mehhhh. Had to pick up another book for the meantime, and decided to read this:

9781844088799.jpg

Any book I should read about the Armenian Genocide?

I'm Turkish so the very act of discussing it and if it might be genocide, is taboo here.

badrang

Naom Chomsky gets brought up on gaf every now and then and I am ashamed to say I've never read any of his material....so I got a bunch of his lectures on audio and some of his books.

On Language
Failed States
Understanding Power
Hopes and Prospects

Once I get through those I want to read The Great Leveler.

had major life changes going on, so I've been stuck almost done with W. Somerset Maugham's The Razor's Edge for about 2 months. It rules. I'm officially a Maugham fan--just had other things to do.

Now that things are finally settling down I'm v ready to finish that and move on to that Walt Whitman novel they just found. Can't say no to Walty boy!

50% done with Fahrenheit 451 and having a hard time with it. Thank god it's short else I'd drop it. How is The Handmaid's Tale in comparison? I LOVED 1984.

Ratrat

Finished Ghostwritten by David Mitchell. Not sure what to think. I enjoyed most of it but I think it should have been shorter.

sasliquid

Finished No Logo and are most of the way through the 33 1/3 of MBDTF as a stop gap before I go on holiday at the end

I plan to take the Fifth Season and either Iain M Banks's Matter or Against a Dark Background.

I'd appreciate a suggestion of which I should take

NekoFever

I'm reading Disrupted: Ludicrous Misadventures in the Tech Start-Up Bubble by Dan Lyons, which is about a 50-something tech journalist who loses his job and goes to work in an online marketing startup.

I know there's a vindictive element to it but god damn, it just confirms every stereotype I have about the culture surrounding Silicon Valley (albeit at a Boston-based company). Doublespeak (staff aren't fired, they're "graduated"; spam isn't spam, it's "lovable marketing content"; "1+1=3" is a genuine slogan), cult-like behaviour, echo chamber mentalities, barely functional manchildren, exploitative employment practices, unsustainable business models, all riding a bubble that's going to burst at some point.

I never want to see the word "content" again.

besada

Banned
Finished No Logo and are most of the way through the 33 1/3 of MBDTF as a stop gap before I go on holiday at the end

I plan to take the Fifth Season and either Iain M Banks's Matter or Against a Dark Background.

I'd appreciate a suggestion of which I should take

I'd go with Matter.

Finished:

51-1AWn--tL.jpg

It was...okay, I guess. Considering Hawley's pitch-perfect writing on Fargo, I was surprised that his Bill O'Reilly character was written so ham-handedly and over-the-top.

Now onto:

51%2BlomECJPL.jpg

Love Diaz's writing, but MAN is Yunior a pig.

Jag

It was...okay, I guess. Considering Hawley's pitch-perfect writing on Fargo, I was surprised that his Bill O'Reilly character was written so ham-handedly and over-the-top.

Didn't realize Hawley wrote. Didn't watch Fargo, but LOVED Legion. Wondering if I should pick it up based on how good a job he did on that show.

Pau

Slowly getting back into the habit of reading. Bought this a while ago and never picked it up. I think it takes me a bit to get into Valente's novels but once I'm in, I'm all in.

acQ9vVd.jpg

Currently listening to the Audiobook of Our Oriental Heritage: The Story of Civilization Book 1 by Will Durant

While the section of pre-historic humans have a lot of outdated information, and its views on Indigenous peoples are very uncomfortable, I still found if interesting how far Anthropology and Archaeology has advanced since the 1930's.

The sections describing the Civilizations of Mesopotamia and Egypt are very engrossing though, and the introduction to Egypt was breathtaking. Dividing it by themes rather than chronology is a very helpful take, and really contained the large scope of information more digestible.

Its chapters on Judea really brought me back to reading bible stories when I was a kid, and its great how it examined these stories in a historical context. The evolution of this state religion as it was conquered by larger empires was fascinating.

I'm in the middle of India, and it is still amazing how there's all this amazing civilizations and ancient cultures that I didn't even get to learn in school.

Downside of listening to an audiobook is that there are no maps or pictures, but my handle on geography is OK.

Mumei

Slowly getting back into the habit of reading. Bought this a while ago and never picked it up. I think it takes me a bit to get into Valente's novels but once I'm in, I'm all in.

acQ9vVd.jpg

This book is bonkers. In a good way!

Pau

50% done with Fahrenheit 451 and having a hard time with it. Thank god it's short else I'd drop it. How is The Handmaid's Tale in comparison? I LOVED 1984.
I probably enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 more than The Handmaid's Tale but I read the former when I was 12 and the latter when I was 18. So I inherently think of F451 as a children'should book and The Handmaid's Tale as more adult? And while they're both dystopian and include stuff about censorship, The Handmaid's Tale is very much about gender and class in a way that F541 is not.

I also think Margaret Atwood has much stronger books(The Blind Assassin being my favorite) so The Handmaid's Tale was a let down in comparison.

This book is bonkers. In a good way!
Good to hear. :p I'm still getting used to the structure.

Mumei

I probably enjoyed Fahrenheit 451 more than The Handmaid's Tale but I read the former when I was 12 and the latter when I was 18. So I inherently think of F451 as a children'should book and The Handmaid's Tale as more adult? And while they're both dystopian and include stuff about censorship, The Handmaid's Tale is very much about gender and class in a way that F541 is not.

I also think Margaret Atwood has much stronger books(The Blind Assassin being my favorite) so The Handmaid's Tale was a let down in comparison.

Good to hear. :p I'm still getting used to the structure.

I don't think I ever quite got a hold of it fully. :p

Geist-

25845201.jpg

Just finished this and it might be one of my favorite fantasy series. I have a problem with a lot of military fiction in that they focus too much on the technical and not enough on the meat of the story, but this has managed to make the battles interesting without having to sacrifice the story or character development. Everyone has a proper reason to be there and the motivations are believable. I'm sure there are a few problems I would have with it if I gave it another read, but the fact that there was nothing obvious enough to bother me after finishing says a lot about how much I liked this book.

If there's one thing I can say that annoys the hell out of me it was the
MASSIVE FUCKING CLIFFHANGER DURING THE EPILOGUE! HOLY FUCK WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK!?!?!

Here's hoping the next book comes out soon.

Saya

I finished The Forever War last night and really liked it. Thanks for the recommendation, Aidan! I loved the ideas of the collapsar jumps and time dilation. I wish more sci-fi movies and TV series would take that aspect of galactic travel into account. Great book. And there seems to be a movie in the works starring Channing Tatum as Mandella? God...

This one is next for me:

tf_cover_sm-400x600.jpg

kswiston

Michael Chabon novels are on sale for $2-3 on the (US) Kindle store today: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=pe_2575320_234529440_pe_button/?node=7533915011

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay seems to be excluded, but I'd recommend checking out the Yiddish Policeman's Union. It won the Hugo and Nebula awards for best Science Fiction and Fantasy novel, but it's mostly alt-history. Israel was never formed, and the displaced Jews in WW2 were isolated in Alaska instead with no permanent citizenship.

The Final Solution is also a short and enjoyable detective story. I liked the Wonder Boys as a movie, but I haven't read the novel. I can't comment on the rest.

Mumei

Hey Mumei, could you please tell me which version of The Story of the Stone would be best to read? I was thinking of getting the Penguin books, but wanted your input first. :)

139874.jpg

Much like The Count of Monte Cristo, the only English translation you need to be reading is the Penguin Classics edition. That book I got has as a dedication to David Hawkes, one of the translators of the Penguin edition (along with his son-in-law, John Minford), and a quote from his Introduction to the first volume:

My one abiding principle has been to translate everything—even puns. For although this is. . . an "unfinished" novel, it was written (and rewritten) by a great artist with his very lifeblood. I have therefore assumed that whatever I find in it is there for a purpose and must be dealt with somehow or another. I cannot pretend to have always done so successfully, but if I can convey to the reader even a fraction of the pleasure this Chinese novel has given me, I shall not have lived in vain.

norm9

Ended up on my desk at work so I read "Dear Ijawele or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen SUggestions." Finished it in about 30 minutes. It's a letter written to her friend's baby daughter about how to raise her to be a feminist. Some very obvious stuff, but many times obvious things like "Let her pick a train instead of a doll," and using the term "Princess" aren't so obvious until written down. Curious about her fiction writing now.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Ended up on my desk at work so I read "Dear Ijawele or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen SUggestions." Finished it in about 30 minutes. It's a letter written to her friend's baby daughter about how to raise her to be a feminist. Some very obvious stuff, but many times obvious things like "Let her pick a train instead of a doll," and using the term "Princess" aren't so obvious until written down. Curious about her fiction writing now.

Funny, I just bought Adichie's We Should All Be Feminists a couple of hours ago. Looking forward to reading it.

9ysMtWXl.jpg

Jag

25845201.jpg

Just finished this and it might be one of my favorite fantasy series. I have a problem with a lot of military fiction in that they focus too much on the technical and not enough on the meat of the story, but this has managed to make the battles interesting without having to sacrifice the story or character development. Everyone has a proper reason to be there and the motivations are believable. I'm sure there are a few problems I would have with it if I gave it another read, but the fact that there was nothing obvious enough to bother me after finishing says a lot about how much I liked this book.

Have you read the Powder Mage series? Wonder how this compares.

fakefaker

Much like The Count of Monte Cristo, the only English translation you need to be reading is the Penguin Classics edition. That book I got has as a dedication to David Hawkes, one of the translators of the Penguin edition (along with his son-in-law, John Minford), and a quote from his Introduction to the first volume:

Cool, thanks Mumei!

Just finished the audiobook of The Handmaid's Tale, it was great. Claire Danes does a fantastic job reading it.

Currently reading A Clockwork Orange. Next audiobook will likely be The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.

Pau

Just finished the audiobook of The Handmaid's Tale, it was great. Claire Danes does a fantastic job reading it.
Huh that's neat. Didn't know Claire Danes did the audiobook. Maybe now I can get my sister to read it. (She's obsessed with Claire Danes.)

DemWalls

25845201.jpg

If there's one thing I can say that annoys the hell out of me it was the
MASSIVE FUCKING CLIFFHANGER DURING THE EPILOGUE! HOLY FUCK WHY DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK!?!?!

Here's hoping the next book comes out soon.

Oh man, I have the first two books, and for some reason I thought this was a trilogy. At least two more books to read then :(

I just finished The Unseen World by Liz Moore. What an incredible book. It really upset me at times as my stepfather was just diagnosed with dementia so it hit very close to home, but it's a touching look at families, relationships and technology (particularly artificial intelligence). I've seen it described as a thriller but I wouldn't categorize it as one at all; I think people going in expecting a thriller would be disappointed as it's a bit of a slow burn.

Finished: Last Citadel
Book about the German attack against the Russian, Operation Citadel. Written from the viewpoint of a few characters. I like these kind of books that tell a story but are also set in a historical setting. Decent read.

533239.jpg

Now reading: Dusk or Dark or Dawn or Day
It's about ghosts. When you die before your time, you become a ghost and need to take time from humans. And by doing that, the human becomes a bit younger. And you move on when you get enough time that you reach the age you should have died on.

The story is about Jenna, who's sister committed suicide. Right after her funeral, she also dies before her time and sticks around in the world trying to help people on a suicide hotline. It's a pretty interesting twist on ghosts and witches and nicely written. Almost finished, but a recommended read from me.

31183180.jpg

lawnchair

Banned
broad question: can anyone recommend any books about eastern europe? particularly the balkans? past or present, fiction or non.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I finished The Forever War last night and really liked it. Thanks for the recommendation, Aidan! I loved the ideas of the collapsar jumps and time dilation. I wish more sci-fi movies and TV series would take that aspect of galactic travel into account. Great book. And there seems to be a movie in the works starring Channing Tatum as Mandella? God...

Woot!

Time dilation is one of my favourite topics for SF novels. Can anyone else recommendation SF that features it at part of the plot?

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson comes to mind, but that's not exactly the same thing.

Finished reading The Handmaid's Tale and Unstoppable, Bill Nye's book on climate change.

Now I've started reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. Not sure how I feel about this because it is YA but a friend recommended it and apprantly it is getting made into a Hulu series.

Fou-Lu

The last two nights I read Red Rising and Golden Son, now I am starting on Morning Star. They are very enjoyable to read despite somehow feeling like fanfiction of a universe that wouldn't exist without them. Odd.

It does make me want to read some more science fantasy though, recommendations?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Woot!

Time dilation is one of my favourite topics for SF novels. Can anyone else recommendation SF that features it at part of the plot?

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson comes to mind, but that's not exactly the same thing.

I can't say the book is good, or that it 100% focuses on time dilation(I stopped after the first 100 pages, and looked at reviews where people say the second half doesn't save it), but the One-Eyed Man by L. E. Modesitt Jr begins with the main character using time dilation to essentially
skip out on child support

ashado

Neo Member
Finished reading The Handmaid's Tale and Unstoppable, Bill Nye's book on climate change.

Now I've started reading Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas. Not sure how I feel about this because it is YA but a friend recommended it and apprantly it is getting made into a Hulu series.

I read a lot of YA books and would put the Throne of Glass series in the middle of the pack... I read all of the current books over the course of almost two weeks back in October. I thought the writing was just okay in the beginning but it started getting better by the third book. The plot is interesting and there are a lot of characters to follow. I'm not in love with it but I like it enough to already have the next book pre-ordered for my Kindle.

I do love SJM's second series though. A Court of Thorns and Roses. I actually read it right before ToG, which probably didn't help with how I viewed her early writing style. The third book comes out next month and I just finished rereading the first two so I'm pretty excited. This is one of those series where I bought the Kindle versions because I wasn't sure how much I would like the books and didn't want to take up precious space on my shelves. Now I have the hardcover versions as well and I'm already debating which book(s) I'll have to remove from my shelves to make room for the third one lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom