• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started the Way of Kings last night and am enjoying it so far. I love how alien the world feels! So often fantasy is just Earth with magic and monsters, but Roshar feels like another world.

It's a big book in comparison to what I've been reading lately, so will probably take me a week or two to get through, but I'm hoping to put a substantial dent in it thanks to the long weekend.

takriel

I'm nearly through Jeff Vandermeer's Annihilation. So far I rather like it. Are the other two books in the trilogy as good?

Woot!

Time dilation is one of my favourite topics for SF novels. Can anyone else recommendation SF that features it at part of the plot?

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson comes to mind, but that's not exactly the same thing.

Have you ever read 'By His Bootstraps' by Robert Heinlein, more about time travel than time dilation via FTL travel but it does seem to anticipate every subsequent time travel trope in novels or movies, and all in one novella written in 1941

I read a lot of YA books and would put the Throne of Glass series in the middle of the pack... I read all of the current books over the course of almost two weeks back in October. I thought the writing was just okay in the beginning but it started getting better by the third book. The plot is interesting and there are a lot of characters to follow. I'm not in love with it but I like it enough to already have the next book pre-ordered for my Kindle.

I do love SJM's second series though. A Court of Thorns and Roses. I actually read it right before ToG, which probably didn't help with how I viewed her early writing style. The third book comes out next month and I just finished rereading the first two so I'm pretty excited. This is one of those series where I bought the Kindle versions because I wasn't sure how much I would like the books and didn't want to take up precious space on my shelves. Now I have the hardcover versions as well and I'm already debating which book(s) I'll have to remove from my shelves to make room for the third one lol.

I'm about 50 pages into Throne of Glass. It seems like it will be a quick read.

Are this series and the other connected in any way?

Ratrat

Just finished the audiobook of The Handmaid's Tale, it was great. Claire Danes does a fantastic job reading it.

Currently reading A Clockwork Orange. Next audiobook will likely be The Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck.
I finished the audiobook recently, it really is fantastic. The Hulu movie looks really underwhelming in comparison. Claire Danes would have killed it if she were a little younger.

Lynux

I started Why Nations Fail and Lacan on Love after I finished My Struggle by Karl Ove Knausgaard, its been my favorite read this year so far and will order the rest of the series when I get back home.

It's taking me forever to finish The Waste Lands (Dark Tower 3) but I am getting there. The pace just slows down considerably in the third act.

After that, it's time to tackle some of my Kindle backlog.

Jake.

the satanic verses. first 25 pages or was a real struggle to get through, but i'm enjoying it alot more now.

Mumei

I finished China's Hidden Children, Shakespeare and the Poets' War, and Patterns in Nature: Why the Natural World Looks the Way It Does the last few days. Definitely can recommend all three.

ashado

Neo Member
I'm about 50 pages into Throne of Glass. It seems like it will be a quick read.

Are this series and the other connected in any way?

They're in the same universe or something like that, and they both have the human/faerie thing going on, but you don't see the same characters or places in both series. I think the author has talked about connecting them in a more direct way but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Althane

For anyone else interested in R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series (like myself), the first book is one of today's Kindle daily deals, for $2.

I got lost in the audiobook, but figure I can be more successful reading it (the names and all got me lost).

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I finished China's Hidden Children, Shakespeare and the Poets' War, and Patterns in Nature: Why the Natural World Looks the Way It Does the last few days. Definitely can recommend all three.

I'm reading Little, Big and I like it.

I thought it was a 19th century novel at the start but no, it's from the 80s. It's like a Gaiman novel but more complex and elusive.

Mumei

I thought it was a 19th century novel at the start but no, it's from the 80s. It's like a Gaiman novel but more complex and elusive.

It does have more than a touch more subtlety.

And I'm glad to hear i!

Trying to juggle the final stretch of 1Q84, The Great Gatsby (for school so not really feeling it), Our Mathematical Universe and a reread of GONE.

And I have APs coming up.

Send help

I started the Way of Kings last night and am enjoying it so far. I love how alien the world feels! So often fantasy is just Earth with magic and monsters, but Roshar feels like another world.

It's a big book in comparison to what I've been reading lately, so will probably take me a week or two to get through, but I'm hoping to put a substantial dent in it thanks to the long weekend.
That's one of my favorites! Words of Radiance it's even better

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Friend of mine bought me a copy of House of Leaves as a going away present.

Currently about a 100 pages in and hoo boy this is going to be an experience. I've never in my life read so many footnotes in a fiction book lol.

Horus-Rising.jpg

Finished Horus Rising, the first book of The Horus Heresy. It's pretty good.

Now starting The True Story of Olimpia Maidalchini: The Secret Female Pope.

Crumbtiny

Is it alright to ask for recommendations? I've been reading fantasy for awhile now, but after recently finishing the second Malazan Empire book and starting the third I'm thinking I could use a palate cleanse. Wanted to try something a little different, maybe space opera-ish or cyberpunk? I was looking at Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash as I've heard good things. Any favorites or stand outs in these genres? Series or stand alone, either is great.

I've read Leviathan Wakes, the first book of The Expanse series, but stalled on the second book.

Pau

I tried reading it but I just couldn't get into it or enjoy it. I don't really like Gaiman unless it's his children's stuff either so maybe it's just not for me. :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I tried reading it but I just couldn't get into it or enjoy it. I don't really like Gaiman unless it's his children's stuff either so maybe it's just not for me. :(

:(
Is it the prose, or how nothing seems to "happen"?

Almost halfway through House of Leaves. What a crazy fucking book. I'm enjoying it a lot, but man, it is not what I thought. Granted I didn't know what to expect :p

Woorloog

Banned
Is it alright to ask for recommendations? I've been reading fantasy for awhile now, but after recently finishing the second Malazan Empire book and starting the third I'm thinking I could use a palate cleanse. Wanted to try something a little different, maybe space opera-ish or cyberpunk? I was looking at Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash as I've heard good things. Any favorites or stand outs in these genres? Series or stand alone, either is great.

I've read Leviathan Wakes, the first book of The Expanse series, but stalled on the second book.
My standard list, YMMV, may or may not have what you've read:

Frank Herbert's Dune. Space opera/planetary romance (as in the genre, not a romance-novel) hybrid. Classic, superb.

Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn trilogy or Commowealth Saga (duology) for space opera, Greg Mandell trilogy (post-)cyberpunk with some psychic powers. Very long though, so if you're looking for something short these aren't ideal.

Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space series for hard science fiction space opera. Contains some weirdness too though. The titular Revelation Space starts the series. Chasm City is a good stand-alone prequel though.

Classics: Asimov, Clarke, Heinlein. Pick anything, though the Foundation is most clear space opera. Most are easy reads, though with Heinlein's books you'll have to tolerate his possibly odd political ideas.
From Clarke, i count Earthlight as one of my favorites. Sure as hell has one of the best names for a scifi novel ever.

Larry Niven's Ringworld for mindbreaking scale.

I need to go over my shelf someday, i can't even recall everything i have, i think.

EDIT And since i ended up liking the first book, Vorkosigan Saga. Starts with Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster-Bujold or however that name is written.

Pau

:(
Is it the prose, or how nothing seems to "happen"?
I think ultimately I just didn't care about any of the characters. There were some times with the prose that I just wasn't having it, but it wasn't to the point where I would drop the book on that alone. And I don't mind stories that are slow burns... I just have to care about something to keep going.

I still have the novel somewhere so maybe one day I'll give it another try. It was recommended to me by my cousin who is the person who got me into reading when we were kids. And now seeing you and Mumei talk about it too I'm like: "Why can't I like this? :("

Fou-Lu

The last two nights I read Red Rising and Golden Son, now I am starting on Morning Star. They are very enjoyable to read despite somehow feeling like fanfiction of a universe that wouldn't exist without them. Odd.

It does make me want to read some more science fantasy though, recommendations?
Anyone?

Mumei

It is okay, although I am not the right person to answer this particular suggestion.

I have to say, I also only like Gaiman's children's stuff—and Sandman—so I don't think that's it. I also never thought of Gaiman while reading it.

Ooh. Radiance, which Pau is currently reading, is excellent science fantasy. The Book of the New Sun tetralogy is, as well. They are definitely on the more difficult end of things, though.

Draconian

Snow Crash is a great book. You can't go wrong with The Diamond Age either.

I second Dune. It's great on your first read and sublime on your reread.

You could check out A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge. It's the first in a series of four.

Ratrat

Snow Crash is great. Read that.

I love it when you stumble upon a recommendation that so perfectly fits your tastes
Not a film, but the recent novel "The North Water" has several segments that are just about as brutal as possible. The ending of the first chapter is only just the beginning of the wretched stuff the antagonist does.

Think Cormac McCarthy not giving a shit rewriting Moby Dick. Jesus, what a great but horrifying book.
Saw that post and had to check out the book

It's pretty fantastic so far. The book just oozes atmosphere, pitch-black grimy grisly unsettling atmosphere.

I saw that it's getting an TV adaptation as well, from BBC and the producers of Lion and The King's Speech, so now I'm really looking forward to that

Vorkosigan Saga by Lois McMaster Bujold. They'll be called "science fiction" but her science isn't very deep. I'd consider them science fantasy myself.

And the series is amazing. There are quite a few books but they are not long.

besada

Banned
The last two nights I read Red Rising and Golden Son, now I am starting on Morning Star. They are very enjoyable to read despite somehow feeling like fanfiction of a universe that wouldn't exist without them. Odd.

It does make me want to read some more science fantasy though, recommendations?

Try Kameron Hurley's Stars Are Legion. It sort of splits the difference between space opera and science fantasy. Lots of fun, very strange.

aravuus

I love it when you stumble upon a recommendation that so perfectly fits your tastes

Saw that post and had to check out the book

It's pretty fantastic so far. The book just oozes atmosphere, pitch-black grimy grisly unsettling atmosphere.

I saw that it's getting an TV adaptation as well, from BBC and the producers of Lion and The King's Speech, so now I'm really looking forward to that

Well, now I'm intrigued. I've been loving Deadhouse Gates for the past week, but it's so dense and the chapters are so long I just can't read it more than a chapter or two a day.

The North Water seems like a "nice" book to read in-between, seeing how short the chapters apparently are. Think I'll start it tonight.

e: whew, first chapters are promising lol

HotHamBoy

It's taking me forever to finish The Waste Lands (Dark Tower 3) but I am getting there. The pace just slows down considerably in the third act.

After that, it's time to tackle some of my Kindle backlog.

Man. I stopped halfway through book 2. I really enjoyed The Gunslinger for what it was but I couldn't get into the direction King took it in.

Snow Crash is a great book. You can't go wrong with The Diamond Age either.

+1 for Snow Crash. One of my favorite books ever.

It's one of the books on my "If I see a used paperback I'll buy it to give to the next person who says they haven't read it" list.

In case you were wondering, other books on that list include:

Stranger In A Strange Land
Rabbit, Run
Dune
The Road
White Noise

You know. Books people should read.

Man. I stopped halfway through book 2. I really enjoyed The Gunslinger for what it was but I couldn't get into the direction King took it in.
What's weird about book 2 is you can tell that King suddenly decided to go all in on the characters and make it an epic series. The entirety of book 2 is character building and introductions, so I could definitely see how you'd be turned off by it. I kinda was by the middle but got through it. A lot of it starts paying off in book 3.

Ohhh, looked up The North Water, and looks like something I want to read. Kind of sounds like a book I want to read around Halloween.

I finally finished Assassins Quest by Robin Hobb. Boy, was that book long. If you like characters traveling this is the book for you. I feel like I spent the whole book following Fitz traveling, be it by foot or by wagon. A bit too much if you ask me. Still want to read more books in this world, will read the Liveship Traders one day, but now I need a break.

Red Rising is going to be my next book. Will read the whole trilogy if I like it.

Wvrs

Magician, by Raymond E. Feist. I've tried to make a point of avoiding fantasy books lately because I have a tendency to neglect other genres for them, but I've had an itching for some swords and sorcery and I'm loving this so far.

HotHamBoy

What's weird about book 2 is you can tell that King suddenly decided to go all in on the characters and make it an epic series. The entirety of book 2 is character building and introductions, so I could definitely see how you'd be turned off by it. I kinda was by the middle but got through it. A lot of it starts paying off in book 3.

Unfortunately every one says some later stuff is wack and the ending is terrible so I can't say I feel very inspired to continue.

I started Ubik on someone's suggestion.

So far I only understand 50% of what is going on.

If you're still on the first chapter (or just into the second or so) you shouldn't understand much at all. It's kind of hilarious how much PKD put into setting up the first chapter when he also didn't care about those things at all. UBIK is great though. If you dig it, be sure to check out Flow My Tears the Policeman Said, A Scanner Darkly, and Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep if you haven't yet.

Not a space opera or cyberpunk at all, but Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur Clarke is still my favorite sci-fi book ever. I love the way he grounds his sci-fi in real science that's explained in a single page, and then you just get to marvel at the possibilities of the gaps you're filling in mentally. I'd recommend anything by Clarke if you don't care for romance in space: City and the Stars, Childhood's End (holy SHIT, the reveals in this one), and Fountains of Paradise.

The sequels to Rama are trash because they're written by someone else.

Haven't torn through a book as fast as The North Water in quite a while. Helps that it's less than 250 pages

In many ways, I kept being reminded of Dan Simmons' The Terror. This felt like the lean ruthless cousin to that book. The pacing in North Water was pretty surprising; new revelations and major turns in the plot happen fast but never breathlessly, all wrapped in poetic prose that bring the grimy places, rough personalities, and visceral violence to life. You feel the cold, see the gore, hear the character's voices in your head.

Is "hard fantasy" a genre that exists? Like the grounding in logic and limits of reality of hard sci-fi, but for fantasy settings and stories? If so, any recommendations. Preferably removed as far as possible from the LoTR/D&D tropes and genre mainstays

Woorloog

Banned
Is "hard fantasy" a genre that exists? Like the grounding in logic and limits of reality of hard sci-fi, but for fantasy settings and stories? If so, any recommendations. Preferably removed as far as possible from the LoTR/D&D tropes and genre mainstays
Low fantasy is kinda equivalent. Like ASOIAF. But even then they tend to delve into magic, etc.
Alternatively​ something like what Brandon Sanderson writes, he takes logic and consistency seriously. Speaking if that, are there other fantasy authors who do that? I have vague recollection of The Name Of The Wind having hard-feeling magic system but can't recall about other stuff.

Ironically, LOTR/Middle-earth is a semi-example. Tolkien built it around languages so it is quite logical. Also, volcanic ground of Mordor feeds Sauron's armies, more logistics thinking there than an average fantasy has...

All in all, interesting question even though i don't really have any answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom