• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2011)

wSvlX.jpg

Finally getting some time with this gem. At the 18% mark on Kindle. Its getting good :)

gate777

wSvlX.jpg

Still going through this. I like to take my time since not even G.R.R.M knows when the next book will release.

bengraven

HiroProtagonist said:
I added that book to my to-read list two days ago. Its number one on Goodreads 'Best Non-Fiction (non biography)' listopia.

I might start reading it after Monte Cristo.

I was reading Anno Dracula, but frankly the book wasn't as grerat as the hype made it out to be.

Decided to take a break from fantasy after finishing The Hobbit.
Reading:
qbs3V.jpg

Stupid Fast - surprisingly entertaining and even a bit dark for a young adult novel. Really enjoying it.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Pixel Pete said:
Demon-Haunted_World.jpg

I have a feeling this may be the most important book I'll ever have read, once I finish it.
This has been sitting on my shelf for some time. It might be my next read, or one of my next few reads at least.

From the July thread, but still reading it:

eKTAe.jpg

HiroProtagonist said:

Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw by Mark Bowden

I picked it up during the Kindle sale for two or three dollars. I'll probably start it tomorrow.
Really dug this book. Back when this came out I was taking summer classes and I was living with my buddy who was a history major and this was a book he was reading for one of his classes. This was sitting out on the table one morning and since I only had one or two classes at the time and not much else to do I started reading this out of boredom (a person can only do so much drinking and Space Cadet Pinball playing!) and really got hooked. I think I ended up reading it one sitting.

Fun fact: It's being made into a movie with Christian Bale.

The Last Temptation of Christ

i read The Stranger, Hero with a 1000 faces, Lysistrata, and Clouds in one weekend. I thought i'd go with something easy as a break... nope!

Been reading through all of the Charlie Parker novels recently, currently on:

Ppqnq.jpg

Would recommend them to anyone who likes thrillers and doesn't mind supernatural elements being involved.

Just finished:

spook_country.jpg

Not bad but probably not my favorite of his work. Felt a bit rote. And then my night time reading has been:

the_annotated_pride_and_prejudice_frontcover_large_5kDQsKO43eeRjD8.jpg

Probably read it a dozen times, the annotated is my favorite edition as it has wonderful bits about games, fashion, salaries, legal inheritance structures, etc.

Now time to get back to:

0470481544.jpg

And:

saupload_econned_medium.jpg

Dresden

ddrVo.jpg

el finish, padrote

I'll probably do my reread of the trilogy next month. I enjoyed it a lot more this time around - I think this read-through being rather distanced from Blood Meridian (unlike when I read these books back to back) helped.

I might finally get around to starting/finishing Against the Day by Pinchoon. Or maybe I'll start Leo Africanus by Amin Malouf. Also (finally) ordered White-Luck Warrior by Bakker and Ghost Story is coming in as well. All over my face.

faridmon

data

Read like 20 pages and the writing is just incimprehensible. Maybe its just me who have a challange reading complex English but the writing was just too difficult. So I stoppped reading it.

Now I just started reading:
9780316725231.JPG

FnordChan

bengraven said:
I was reading Anno Dracula, but frankly the book wasn't as grerat as the hype made it out to be.

I remember enjoying the hell out of Anno Dracula, but it's been a while since I read it, so I don't remember if I found it slow going at the beginning. I do remember really enjoying the world building and thinking that by the end the proverbial shit and gotten real, so perhaps it'll pick up for you. Or not, but as a fan of the book I figured I'd do a bit of cheerleading for it.

Meanwhile, I'm all about big installments of serial fiction at the moment.

Just finished:

51LqynbphlL.jpg

A Dance With Dragons by George R. R. Martin - I don't have anything wildly original to say, so I'll just go with "I enjoyed the hell out of it and am looking forward to the next novel, whenever that may be."

Just started:

51PNEMeWmSL.jpg

Ghost Story by Jim Butcher - I'm not terribly far in, but so far it feels great to be reading a Dresden Files novel again and I'm looking forward to seeing what the series status quo is like by the end of the book.

Next up:

51nDTfQUzmL.jpg

Ghost Ship by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller - I don't think too many folks here are familiar with Lee and Miller's Liaden series of space opera romances (or, if you prefer, romantic space operas), but any fan of Bujold's Vorkosigan series should look into it. Meanwhile, I'm incredibly psyched for this latest installment because, having spent the past several books in the series going back and filling in bits and pieces of series continuity, this is the first time we're moving forward with the main storyline since I Dare was published in 2002. It's been almost a decade and I'm psyched to see what's happening - though I'm hoping I can remember everything that was happening at that point in the series.

FnordChan

Picobrain

Banned
lens6787452_1251891097Harry_Potter_and_the_Order_of_the_Phoenix.jpg

I just got into harry potter books, 2 more and i am finished :)

Can somebody recommend good Japanese books like this one

in%2Bthe%2Bmiso%2Bsoup.jpg

Decided to start reading this after finishing Windup Girl, has been sitting amongst my backlog since Christmas. About 300 pages in and really enjoying the intricate structure of the book. A damn good read!

2Kxnm.jpg

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Currently halfway through A Feast For Crows but since everyone posts GRRM stuff, here's the other book I bought recently:

Supergods_415.jpg

Read the first few chapters, it's a really in depth and unique look at the world of superheroes (even more unique if you haven't been reading Morrison's comics for the last 20 years). Worth it for his description of the Joker alone.

Sonicbug

Ohhhh, Nakedsushi, I didn’t even know there was a new Neal Stephenson novel coming out...! So jealous.

51K3k8HI1OL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The Borders going-out-of-business sales are gonna be my financial ruin as well. I was looking around the history section and grabbed this, which is a really good break down on ancient egyptian stuff. It’s not dry and textbooky, but not overgeneralized and simple either.

I have my eye on a few other history books, and a ton of manga once the price drops a bit more.

demon

Aquavelvaman said:
Started this a couple days ago:
1U1US.jpg
Anyone know how much this is at Borders now? I was there a week ago and it was 20% off, but that's not enough with how broke-ass poor I am right now. I really want this book though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Glad to see everyone reading A Song of Ice and Fire! I just finished

a_dance_with_dragons_george_rr_martin.jpg

and it was amazing. Now I am in the mood to start a new series, so I plan on reading the Hyperion duology, starting with

Hyperion-dan-simmons-sci-fi-book.jpg

Dr Eggman said:
The Godfather

one of my favorites! love Mario Puzo - be sure to check out Omerta & Fool's Die afterwards.

stimpledorf said:
Cloud Atlas

another great book. love his way of jumping from genre to genre with ease. quite a feat.

Fritz

Dresden said:
ddrVo.jpg

el finish, padrote

I'll probably do my reread of the trilogy next month. I enjoyed it a lot more this time around - I think this read-through being rather distanced from Blood Meridian (unlike when I read these books back to back) helped.

I am reading this atm. I did start months ago, but wasn't in the right mood. Picked it up again on the weekend and am really digging it this time.

I wanted to read Blood Meridian afterwards. What is this talk about distance? should I wait a couple of months or read something in between?

Dresden

Fritz said:
I am reading this atm. I did start months ago, but wasn't in the right mood. Picked it up again on the weekend and am really digging it this time.

I wanted to read Blood Meridian afterwards. What is this talk about distance? should I wait a couple of months or read something in between?
Nah, it's just me being silly. I really loved BM and the two books, despite both being these elegiac Westerns are quite different in tone (and bodycount). I think I just wanted another BM and when I didn't get it I was disappointed. Unreasonable expectations, really.

jon bones said:
another great book. love his way of jumping from genre to genre with ease. quite a feat.

It really is, up until now i've only read Ghostwritten and quite enjoyed it. Have 'The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' in my backlog to read after Cloud Atlas, sounds equally as fascinating!

Is there another series that's very much like A Song of Ice and Fire? It doesn't even need to be fantasy. Just something with excellent characters that are all in ever changing struggles and alliances with each other.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I'm going to try and read Pride and Prejudice at some point. My first attempt a few weeks ago bored me to tears; we'll see if it gets better as the book goes along.

Don't bother. I hated that book. The rest of the book is pretty much like the beginning of the book (rich people sitting around talking about rich people problems) so you're not missing out.

ultron87 said:
I did not know there was a new Stephenson book coming out soon. Awesome.

Yeah, took me by surprise when I found out too. I forgot that he was still alive and still writing, hahah.

stimpledorf said:
Decided to start reading this after finishing Windup Girl, has been sitting amongst my backlog since Christmas. About 300 pages in and really enjoying the intricate structure of the book. A damn good read!

2Kxnm.jpg

Meh on Windup Girl, but yay on Cloud Atlas! My co-worker introduced me to this book and it was wonderful. I really like the cover for this edition too. I'm sad that I couldn't find it when I was buying the book.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I'm going to try and read Pride and Prejudice at some point. My first attempt a few weeks ago bored me to tears; we'll see if it gets better as the book goes along.
Hm, I'm not sure there's a lot of shades of gray for period comedy-of-manners/drama. Similarly, I'm sure there are people who find P.G. Wodehouse "precious" and similarly boring, but those people live empty lives devoid of humor and wit :).

Re: earlier mentions of Godfather, reading that several years after seeing the films the scene that really sticks to me that is missing from the films is the
part about the producer who won't give Fontaine the part, and how he had a young under-age starlet and her mother living with him and he was sleeping with the young girl with the mother's approval. Really makes that whole scene even more creepy and sinister.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
I wouldn't say reading exactly; more studying, but this is the book.

science%201001.jpg

It's a really good overview of all the important scientific concepts across physics (electro-magnetism, relativity, quantum mechanics, unification theories), chemistry, biology, earth sciences, space, health and medicine, social sciences (psychology, social trends, economics, politics), computing, applied science, and the future of science.

it's a really good reference material and recap of high school and first year university subjects. i'm studying it because i plan to go back to uni next year to study a whole new field (maybe biochemistry and molecular biology).

Jedeye Sniv said:
Currently halfway through A Feast For Crows but since everyone posts GRRM stuff, here's the other book I bought recently:

Supergods_415.jpg

Read the first few chapters, it's a really in depth and unique look at the world of superheroes (even more unique if you haven't been reading Morrison's comics for the last 20 years). Worth it for his description of the Joker alone.

In what sense exactly? The social imagination of a certain day and age?

Dragon

Banned
giri said:
ergh no it doesn't.

If you're going to disagree and not go into why you disagree not sure why you're bothering to post.

Besides major events like in the one in Winter's Heart, books like Path of Daggers, Crown of Swords and Crossroads of Twilight are incredibly forgettable. They are filled with plot points that spawn thousands of pages and don't advance and rehashing things that happened in major events a book or so ago. In fact on re-reads I don't even bother reading them because they don't add that much. Jordan's death and Sanderson have largely changed that but the last book was a step down and I think besides the last scene that Jordan wrote that the series is going to be a disappointment overall.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
80841850.JPG

Didn't buy it, thank god (loan from a friend). The amount of anti-Muslim and anti-liberal hysteria in this novel is absolutely hilarious and pathetic. Simmons can now be added to the official list of "writers who lost their minds after 9/11".

GoWCoalitionsEndCvr_002.jpg

What can I say? Post-apocalyptic mil sci-fi is a guilty pleasure of mine. :)

nakedsushi said:
Ho ho ho, another addition to my currently reading list this month:

Also fuck you (so jealous! *_*)

luxarific said:
The amount of anti-Muslim and anti-liberal hysteria in this novel is absolutely hilarious and pathetic. Simmons can now be added to the official list of "writers who lost their minds after 9/11".
Bummer. I assume this is the same club that Frank Miller belongs to... DK2, eesh.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
BriareosGAF said:
Bummer. I assume this is the same club that Frank Miller belongs to... DK2, eesh.

Yeah, or Orson Scott Card (Empire). It's really too bad, since Simmons can actually write an engaging story. You could see where he was going in Ilium/Olympos, but at least in those books the politics could be ignored (I mean, you still had the
crazy Muslim fanatics destroy the world thing, but it wasn't the main focus of the book, at least I thought, so I just rolled my eyes and got on with the story
). But Flashback is just one long screed on how Muslims and Liberals and oh yeah, revanchist Latinos, have destroyed the U.S., with a murder mystery poking up every few pages.

I'm reading the book because it has a very slight tie-in to the Hyperion Cantos series which I loved), in that the main motivator of many of the characters is a drug called flashback which was briefly mentioned in Hyperion. But now I'm reading the book to see just how badly Simmons has lost his shit. I'd make it a drinking game ("take a drink every time Simmons mentions Muslims/Liberals/Racial or Ethnic Minority"), but I'd be wasted inside of a chapter, so now I'm just flagging the most insane (and thus amusing) grafs. My favorite bit of koo-koo-ca-choo craziness so far:

"Except that in the New Global Caliphate, conviction of using or possessing flashback by sharia tribunals meant immediate beheading broadcast around the world on one of the twenty-four-hour Al Jazeera channels that televised only such stonings, beheadings, and other Islamic punishments. The channel was busy-and-watched-day and night throughout the Caliphate in what was left of the Mideast, Europe, and in American cities with clusters of hajji Caliphate fans."

Just pages and pages of stuff like this.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Dresden said:
The sad thing is that flashback was once a pretty good novella with no evil muslims involved.

Wow, I just googled this - had no idea it was based on Lovedeath. I need to track that down and read it for comparison. Thanks for letting me know!

ptolemy

Just finished with:
0575076267.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It has been in my book pile for ages, really glad I finally got around to reading it. Substantial stuff.

Next on the agenda:
511811QMKFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Grabbed the US edition while I'm here. I like how it's one book rather that the two the Irish/UK edition was split into.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Zeitgeister said:
In what sense exactly? The social imagination of a certain day and age?

Of what, the Joker? He contextualises the Joker fairly well by referencing the films and books that influenced the character, but his description of the Joker is just so beautifully florid, I really enjoyed reading it. A taste: "Currupt and unhealthy, protopunk, proto-Goth, he was skinny, pale, hunched, and psychopathic. He was Johnny Rotten, Steerpike, Bowie strung out in Berlin or Joel Gray in Caberet."

There's a lot more in there besides. I really enjoy the way Morrison sees superheroes as this platonic ideal expressed through the medium of lurid pulp and science fiction stories. Superman is a god, Batman is the devil, the Flash and Captain Marvel are avatars of Mercury. It's interesting to view superheroes through this prism of mythology, it kind of makes it all make sense. And conversely, makes the bad stories really stand out when you read them.

CiSTM

Banned
Can somebody recommend good Japanese books like this one

in%2Bthe%2Bmiso%2Bsoup.jpg
From the same author Coin locker babies. I think it's his best book and bit longer then most of his stuff. Natsuo Kirino's stuff might interest you too, not brutal as Murakami but still good read. Akimitsu Takagi is also good.

Karakand

eznark you asked about reviews and new release talk last month. I don't use reviews but I do read stuff like The Millions or Moby Lives for book talk, and from there I sometimes decide what to read. (Most of it just comes from personal research.)

Moby Lives is pretty crappy now (especially with their Amazon bellyaching) so YMMV on that one.

demon

Maklershed said:
Finished I Am Legend. The movie adaptation is so different from the book I'm not even sure why they bother with the license.
I thought the movie was fairly good on its own for the first couple acts, then it went to shit. It changed from book so much though that they really wasted the license. Did you read the whole book? As I recall IAL is just a novella with 2-3 other stories.

Top Bottom