• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (August 2011)

KidDork

JGS said:
I got tired of reading Dark Tower but was still slogging through it when a co-worker loaned me this. I love it and don't see it as a book quite for the same age as it's Catniss.I've had it for a few days and have about 50 pages left. Going to go ahead and pick up the series.

When Games picks up speed, it quickly becomes un-puttdownable. Really enjoying it now.

Oh, and nakedsushi? Lucky you on the Stephenson early read. *envious pout*

Seanspeed

Banned
Pixel Pete said:
Demon-Haunted_World.jpg

I have a feeling this may be the most important book I'll ever have read, once I finish it.
I love Sagan, but a lot of what he says in this book is common sense for anybody who's already delved into the world of rationalism.

No doubt his phrasings and his metaphors and everything are damn inspired, but nothing he says is truly that important. You're gonna nod your head a lot, but you probably aren't gonna come away with an entirely new outlook on life.

Jerk

Banned
way-of-kings1.jpg

A co-worker of mine (whom I respect) foisted this upon me.

I am not a a huge fan of Sanderson, but I plan to give this a fair shake (especially since I am forcing him to read "The Lies of Locke Lamorra" in reciprocation).

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I finished The Storm of War by Andrew Roberts, a new one volume history of WW2 that was published in the US a few months ago.

It earned the rapturous praise from the UK on the back cover. The author is a good writer with the ability to pull out great anecdotes and quotes. He has strong opinions, but writes in a way that doesn't make you feel like he's forcing them down your throat.

His main argument is that had the Nazis pursued more rational military strategy after taking France, they probably would have won. But they didn't do so directly because they were Nazis and rationality was not in their nature.

Now starting the novel Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks.

Karakand

My Borders liquidation sucks. 20% off most things and 30% on plays. (The 30% would be passable if their play section had been restocked in the last year.)

Dresden

luxarific said:
Wow, I just googled this - had no idea it was based on Lovedeath. I need to track that down and read it for comparison. Thanks for letting me know!
np

It's funny how he went from being vehemently against da Church in Hyperion to... well, hating evil brown people, though.

---

HjPTo.jpg

Couldn't find The Crossing (it's lost somewhere in the house), so I began this instead.

Also picked up Civilwarland in Bad Decline, which looks to be a pack of short stories+novella about a bunch of white people problems. Not really feeling it but it was three bucks.

vk4NB.jpg

Piecake

Jerk said:
way-of-kings1.jpg

A co-worker of mine (whom I respect) foisted this upon me.

I am not a a huge fan of Sanderson, but I plan to give this a fair shake (especially since I am forcing him to read "The Lies of Locke Lamorra" in reciprocation).

The Way of Kings is a lot better than his previous work. I gave up on Mistborn out of boredom, but thought WoK was great

mike23

Anyone planning on reading the sequel to The Magicians?

lDxD3.jpg

I'm torn because I hated Quentin and I'm not sure I want more of his bullshit.

x-Lundz-x

Towers_of_Midnight_hardcover.jpg

Brandon Sanderson really has done an amazing job finishing these books. Hard to believe it's almost over. After being a part of this series of books for 20 years I must say to me it's the best fantasy series ever written.

I have yet to read a Song of Ice and Fire, but I can't imagine it topping The Wheel of Time.

Ceebs

Keiician said:
kxWZn.jpg

Finally decided to read the "young adult" series, just to be able to say that I've read all Discworld novels.
After reading around ~50 pages of the first one I must say it's not half bad.
I honestly think these are some of the best books Pratchett has ever written. (Minus Wintersmith, did not care for that one much)

The end of that book brings on some man tears every time I read it.

Try Nation when you finish those, it's even better.

bengraven

Dresden said:
HjPTo.jpg

Couldn't find The Crossing (it's lost somewhere in the house), so I began this instead.

I'm going to read his Western novels very soon. I've only read The Road so far by Cormac and found it an emotionally exhausting, yet rewarding book. I've heard his western stories are almost worse and I'm not sure if I'm up for that yet. heh

I'm in the mood for a Western novel though, I've never read one.

mike23 said:
Anyone planning on reading the sequel to The Magicians?

I'm torn because I hated Quentin and I'm not sure I want more of his bullshit.

Definitely. The Magicians was one of my favorite books of the past few years. Quentin was an ass but that was part of the charm of the book. Flawed characters etc.

Dresden said:

I loved All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing. City of Plains by comparison I found to be poor, a disappointing end to the trilogy. What was your opinion?

bengraven said:
I'm going to read his Western novels very soon. I've only read The Road so far by Cormac and found it an emotionally exhausting, yet rewarding book. I've heard his western stories are almost worse and I'm not sure if I'm up for that yet. heh

The Borders trilogy is a different beast than Blood Meridian. It's still McCarthy, but it's much more adventurous and less somber of tone.

Octagon

51Y9W44ZZRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

It is somehow boring and fascinating at the same time and it gives of the impression of teaching you how Japanese society works and how gifts and courtesies shape the social network.

bengraven said:

I'm in the mood for a Western novel though, I've never read one.

Does anyone have any recommendation for good westerns? I know about Louis L'amour and I've read the Lonesome Dove books. But that's the extent of my knowledge there.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Still reading The Deathgate Cycle

1DCnB.gif

So... spoilers..

OMG, this book is amazing. Its completely edge of your seat. So Hugh the Hand is supposed to murder this child. He's a prince, actually. Prince Bane. Hugh has been raised by the kir monks, they're the monks of death basically. They have no joy and go around and clean up the dead. But Hugh escaped and is now an assassin.

So Bane has this amulet around his neck that he seems to take comfort in, he cut his hand and then rubbed it on an amulet and didn't cry. When he is frightened he rubs it like a rabbits foot. Well, in probably the most intense 50 page sequence I've ever read SHIT HIT THE FUCKING FAN. So it turns out that Bane is actually not the prince everyone thinks he is. He is actually the son of a Mysteriarch (they live in this upper realm and I guess are sort of like god wizards?) and this amulet is a way for him to communicate with his father.

So Bane's father instructs him to kill Hugh before Hugh kills him. (It's worth pointing out at this point Hugh had already decide to default on his contract and keep the boy alive) But he poisons and kills Hugh while he is piloting a dragon ship. So the ship starts to spiral out of control down towards the Maelstrom! Let me add that between their plummeting ship and the giant spiraling circle of death that is the Maelstrom are two Elven Warships in a battle to the death.

So having just killed his ship's pilot, Bane (like a 9 year old child I should reiterate) runs up to the ships roof to try and flag down the elves, thinking they'll save him. So their ship CRASHES through the Elven ships disintegrating them to pieces and three Elven warriors climb aboard. After hearing Bane's plea they just TOSS HIM OVERBOARD! And laugh about it! As Bane is plummeting to his death his father wills him to take control of his innate magic ability. (something that typically takes years of discipline) Bane is successful and overcomes his predicament by willing his body to be light as a cloud.. and then he just sits their adrift waiting for someone to come save him.

Meanwhile on the ship a third passenger has brought Hugh back to life somehow. He tells Hugh that he was merely drugged and was knocked out. But Hugh his certain he died. He's used that very poison before. Its a Huge mystery how he was brought back to life.

So the recently resurrected Hugh jumps to life and Murders the fuck out of the Elven invaders. Then takes back control of the ship.

I stopped reading there because I got hungry, but wow I am completely in love with this series. Its so wonderful and imaginative. I left a ton of stuff out. Really thrilling stuff, you should read them if you haven't.

Ohwiseone

Still pushing through on
espn_those_guys_hvae_all_the_fun_2011_a_p.jpg

700 pages is a lot for interviews, however when it gets into the Dan Patrick stuff, and then later on in the Beadle Vs. Andrews stuff, it gets good. Almost finished.

Hopefully after I finish that book, I will either jump into Anathem by Neal Stevenson, or actually sit down and finish Game of thrones. (about half-way through)

I'm over 200 pages into The Name of The Wind and it just feels amateurish and poorly written. This may be because I just finished A Dance With Dragons and nothing can compare to that. Is TNOTW notorious for being difficult to get into but getting better as it progresses? Or are the first 200 pages indicative of the entire book?

Sleepy

x-Lundz-x said:
[ I must say to me it's the best fantasy series ever written.

I have yet to read a Song of Ice and Fire, but I can't imagine it topping The Wheel of Time.

Tell us what you think after you have read ASoIaF.

Still plugging away at American Gods (some of its very good and some kinda blah), but I'm going to Vegas on Sunday and plan on taking The Way of Kings. Hopefully, I will finished AG first.

wrowa

Help Me! said:
He already read through a long series of books whose original author died before he was able to finish the series, I can understand why he doesn't want to start another unfinished series where the possibility that it will never be finished is pretty daunting. Considering how much GRRM detests fan-fiction I'm not even sure whether or not he would allow anyone to continue his series if something should happen to him...

He is already rather old, and if he writes as "fast" as during the last years... the next two ASoIaF are still a very long way off, aren't they? :/

suffah

Does maths and stuff
x-Lundz-x said:

One day you'll look at this and die in shame. :)

wrowa said:
He is already rather old, and if he writes as "fast" as during the last years... the next two ASoIaF are still a very long way off, aren't they? :/

I have made my thoughts very clear on this in the old Dance thread the past few years. What can we do but hope for the best?

wrowa said:
Considering how much GRRM detests fan-fiction I'm not even sure whether or not he would allow anyone to continue his series if something should happen to him...

Don't have a source handy, but I'm under the impression that Martin once said that if he dies before the series is over, his will states that all of his notes, research, and outlines for the series are to burn with him during the cremation.

BastardSamurai said:
Don't have a source handy, but I'm under the impression that Martin once said that if he dies before the series is over, his will states that all of his notes, research, and outlines for the series are to burn with him during the cremation.
Valar Trollhulis

Gvaz

Banned
Actually HBO has his outline for the series so if he dies they have an idea how how to finish the story.

Karakand

He should delete his catalog, instruct his estate to be insufferable rights holders and then kill himself after destroying all his notes. Master troll I would sing a song of nice to inspire.

moonwalking-with-einstein.jpg

Almost done. Absolutely fascinating stuff. I started doing the Journey method and I am truly in awe at what I can recall. Its like getting a superpower.

giri

suffah said:
Or being insufferably correct. (Not, it's the insufferably correct one).
BastardSamurai said:

That would be amazing. Ultimate FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU to the world.

Gvaz said:
Actually HBO has his outline for the series so if he dies they have an idea how how to finish the story.

Plausible, but considering how often tv shows start by following the books, catch up to the author, and then run off on their own tangent... it wouldn't surprise me if they altered it to suit their own purpose anyway.

That's mainly anime/manga though.

The worst part is, you can always pick when the networks decided the path of the story, it is always a quick decline.

I hope for ASOIAF fans, they don't ruin it.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I love living within walking distance to the library:

41kJNsfWZRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Fun little thought experiments to get you thinking about the deeper stuff. Was recommended by Philosophy Bro.

41zQmb%2BWHIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Was recommended by someone at school, given my love of seafood and the sad state of today's oceans.

31nFE4dwQyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Was a bit disappointed in this, considering it's a Dahl book and the overwhelming reception for the movie.

51PGEABHZaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Didn't know there was a sequel to the Iron Man. Haven't started yet, but it seems relevant as I'm interested in environmental narratives.

Maklershed said:
Really dug this book. Back when this came out I was taking summer classes and I was living with my buddy who was a history major and this was a book he was reading for one of his classes. This was sitting out on the table one morning and since I only had one or two classes at the time and not much else to do I started reading this out of boredom (a person can only do so much drinking and Space Cadet Pinball playing!) and really got hooked. I think I ended up reading it one sitting.

Fun fact: It's being made into a movie with Christian Bale.
One sitting? Damn. I started yesterday and should be finished Saturday. I'm only 1/3 of the way in, and there are only like two judges and half a bagel still standing, so I'm interested to see who else he has left to kidnap, murder, and/or blow-up. I've got the documentary from The History Channel: The True Story Of Killing Pablo, and Pablo Escobar: "King of Coke" queued up so I can put faces to all the names.

x-Lundz-x

Help Me! said:

Still plugging away at American Gods (some of its very good and some kinda blah), but I'm going to Vegas on Sunday and plan on taking The Way of Kings. Hopefully, I will finished AG first.

wrowa said:
He already read through a long series of books whose original author died before he was able to finish the series, I can understand why he doesn't want to start another unfinished series where the possibility that it will never be finished is pretty daunting. Considering how much GRRM detests fan-fiction I'm not even sure whether or not he would allow anyone to continue his series if something should happen to him...

suffah said:

I have made my thoughts very clear on this in the old Dance thread the past few years. What can we do but hope for the best?

Haha, it looks like we have song George R.R. Martin fans in here eh? I know his books are really good, and I plan on reading them soon actually. I consider his series part of the big 3 (What I call the three best fantasy writers in recent memory. Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, and George R.R. Martin). Why do I include Martin if I have not read the books yet? Because of the feedback from fantasy fans like yourself I have seen over the years I know his series is one of the best.

I actually own all the books expect for the newest. I have a really bad habit of buying books I know I am going to read one day and just collecting them for when I want to dedicate myself. When I read a series, I like to focus on that series alone and not get distracted with other books. So he is next on my list no worries :).

As I stated, I love the The Wheel of Time. I thought The Sword of Truth novels were amazing as well and I think it's just about as good as a series as The Wheel of Time....however you can definitely tell the similarities of ideas that Goodkind took from Jordan, but you could say the same thing about Jordan taking ideas from Tolkien.

After I read A Song of Ice and Fire I'll let you guys know if I need to hang my head in shame lol.

Going through my third readthrough of Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics (after a 16 year break). Still as good as I remembered it.

Then I picked up Barbara Demick's Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea (after a GAF posted in a NK-related thread) for my Kobo Touch.

Salazar

I'm going to not say anything unkind about Terry Goodkind, because I don't think I can exceed or improve upon my repeated deprecation of him.

I'm reading Anger, Gratitude, and the Enlightenment Writer by Patrick Coleman.

For work, though it is pleasurable.

Saidin311

Neo Member
Down to the last chapter on this book:

51EQc4bITRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So Far it's been a blast. It's amazing how paranoid people act throughout history, and its amazing to read how some of these really well known conspiracies have actually gone on to affect political decisions, social interaction etc.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Did I just see Goodkind mentioned in the same sentence as best, fantasy, and writers? And with GRRM as well? *shudders*

Anyway, recently finished after seing the first mentioned here:

1q1sa.jpg

Rkrgd.jpg

Pretty good, nothing groundbreaking but a nice change of pace after Dance with Dragons.

Now onto:

dzhjy.jpg

and then Leviathan Wakes.

x-Lundz-x

wrowa said:
You have to be careful with the mention of Goodkind, we already had quite a few bloodbaths because of his books :lol

Uh oh....

Cyan said:
Christ almighty.

Yeah. Yeah... *counts backwards from 10*

Whew, I feel better. I'm gonna try not to attack the new guy who doesn't know what he's walking into. :)

Ummm...

Keen said:
Did I just see Goodkind mentioned in the same sentence as best, fantasy, and writers? And with GRRM as well? *shudders*

I'm seeing a pattern here...

Not trying to derail the thread but why may I ask is he looked down upon so bad here? I mean I'm not saying he is the best writer of all time but his books were incredibly entertaining to read and Richard/Khalan were amazing characters in my eyes.

Do I just need to read a Song of Ice and Fire first and then come back? :)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
x-Lundz-x said:
Uh oh....

Ummm...

I'm seeing a pattern here...

Not trying to derail the thread but why may I ask is he looked down upon so bad here? I mean I'm not saying he is the best writer of all time but his books were incredibly entertaining to read and Richard/Khalan were amazing characters in my eyes.

Well, there's been a few threads here about him. But visit the asoiaf forums at westeros, there are 50 threads of Goodkind mocking there. Beware of asoiaf-spoilers if you stumble into the wrong forum.
Or just read the summary at http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html

And just read Asoiaf!

Toby

Been reading:
In%20Cold%20Blood%20-%20Truman%20Capote.jpg

Only about half way through so far, but I'm really enjoying it. The writing is amazing, almost seems like fiction due to all the detail and viewpoints.

SLEEPS7ALK3R said:
I'll have to check that out, seems really interesting. Like it so far?

Leunam

Xl9dq.jpg

Started it last night but didn't have too much time to read. Got about twenty or so pages into it and I'm enjoying what little I've read so far.

thomaser

Saidin311 said:
Down to the last chapter on this book:

51EQc4bITRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So Far it's been a blast. It's amazing how paranoid people act throughout history, and its amazing to read how some of these really well known conspiracies have actually gone on to affect political decisions, social interaction etc.

Normally, I hate reading ignorant comments and reviews. But it was fun reading the negative reviews on Amazon for this book. Conspiracy nuts are so dumb, for real.

Does it focus mostly on late conspiracies, or does it also look at older ones, older than the Priory of Zion-conspiracy theory?

Sleepy

x-Lundz-x said:

Don't let anyone dictate your taste for you, especially denizens of internet forums. But yes, to make an informed opinion you should probably read more fantasy before you use those aforementioned authors in a "best of" sentence.

Ezalc

I'm still getting through Count of Monte Cristo. I started this book like 5 months ago, I haven't finished it since I'm usually reading it in short bits, but I'm picking it up more now so I think I'll be able to finish it soon.

After I finish I'm going to look into reading something else, I was thinking of reading Treasure Island and a few other old classic books and such. Anybody has any book suggestions? I prefer things along the lines of Monte Cristo and adventure/fantasy stuff.

Karakand

Cyan said:
Well, if you don't remember many fantasy writers, that's quite possible!

Sort of like Tebow. Greatest of All Time since 2007!
Dude I was going through ESPN3 this morning and they're still talking about him. WTF.

At least they called him the beneficiary of a "cult of personality". Gonna start referring to his throwing motion as "Holodomor".

Top Bottom