• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epcott

Ender_Wiggin_Saga_Book_4_Children_of_the_Mind_Orson_Scott_Card_unabridged_compact_discs_Audio_Renaissance.jpg

Ender's Game was pretty good. Speaker of the Dead was also decent, but the two are like night and day. I enjoyed the latter more-so due to the nice meld of religious/spiritual aspects and sci-fi.

Didn't think Xenocide was all that great
probably due to the cliffhanger. The Godspoken girl and her servant were pretty damn annoying.

teiresias

Geez, it's taking me forever to get through "The Mists of Avalon." It's fascinating, but hardly what I'd call a highly exciting read. I don't dislike it though, but it's taking me forever to finish it and I'm not one of those that reads more than one novel at a time so I'm itching to move on to something else.

Dan said:
I'm rereading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

I sorta gave up on the book after the first chapter. Tell me, is it worth a re-attempt? I vaguely remember someone - Kim Stanley Robinson? - recommending his work as a central part of a new Golden Age of British Science Fiction. Or, perhaps, I'm confusing him with Adam Roberts - same initials and all.

nyong

Banned
subzero9285 said:
Going to read through The Lord Of the Rings again, this December.

I couldn't resist and purchased that gorgeous set on Amazon. It's on sale for all who care.

the-eye-of-the-world.jpg

I just can't get into it. Something about Jordan's prose rubs me the wrong way. At least tell me that the series gets better, should I force myself through it? Also:

Wastelands.jpg

One per day, highly entertaining stories so far. Worth a look if you're a fan of short-stories and/or apocalyptic tales.

Reading.jpg

Synopsis: read slowly, very slowly

finowns

nyong said:
I just can't get into it. Something about Jordan's prose rubs me the wrong way. At least tell me that the series gets better, should I force myself through it?

Very Slight SPOILERS kind of (how do you do the hidden text?)

The series is mediocre with a lot of recycled (stolen) ideas from other books most notably Dune and LOTR; I would summarize the series as the Aiel who play the part of the Fremen, Aes Sedai who are Bene Gesserit, and Rand who is the Kwisatz Haderach vs the Dark Lord Sauron I mean Shai'tan and his trollORCS.

Mediocre writing, overly complex plots and political machinations all make for a pretty frustrating series.

There are good points I think somewhere in the book.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
finowns said:
Very Slight SPOILERS kind of (how do you do the hidden text?)

The series is mediocre with a lot of recycled (stolen) ideas from other books most notably Dune and LOTR; I would summarize the series as the Aiel who play the part of the Fremen, Aes Sedai who are Bene Gesserit, and Rand who is the Kwisatz Haderach vs the Dark Lord Sauron I mean Shai'tan and his trollORCS.

Mediocre writing, overly complex plots and political machinations all make for a pretty frustrating series.

There are good points I think somewhere in the book.

god.. most fantasy shares ideas with one another if you look hard enough. Pretty everything in your post is a stretch. I have read all 3 series in question and they share very little with each other. If Jordan isn't your thing that's cool but I really can't see where any of those comparisons really apply.

also {spoiler} {/spoiler} will give you spoiler tags.. just use [] instead of {}

teiresias

Blackace said:
god.. most fantasy shares ideas with one another if you look hard enough.

Yeah, but there are plenty of other authors and/or series that get it done in three or less books without dragging it out for no reason other than to subject the reader to more of the boring prose that makes the actual act of reading it intolerable.

Blackace

teiresias said:
Yeah, but there are plenty of other authors and/or series that get it done in three or less books without dragging it out for no reason other than to subject the reader to more of the boring prose that makes the actual act of reading it intolerable.

I like the series a lot. 3 books wouldn't have been enough for me. Jordan had weaknesses in his writing but everyone does. His world was so defined and rich it's amazing. Very few other writers have given me the sense of growth of characters and the feeling of visiting the world they created.

Martin is another one for me..

But hey I really don't like Erickson and a lot of people do that is the beauty of books

Blackace said:
I like the series a lot. 3 books wouldn't have been enough for me. Jordan had weaknesses in his writing but everyone does. His world was so defined and rich it's amazing. Very few other writers have given me the sense of growth of characters and the feeling of visiting the world they created.

Martin is another one for me..

But hey I really don't like Erickson and a lot of people do that is the beauty of books

I'll have to disagree. The first six or so books were good, but from then on the series has become mired in mediocrity. Character progression stalled, the plot had become as slow to develop as a day-time soap, and the believability of his world became threatened. Only with Jordan's last book did the series begin to recover - and, as for Sanderson's entry, well, I have yet to delve into that.

And I'm of the opinion that there are quite a number of (as opposed to "very few") writers - exclusively within the genre, even - who have a better sense of characterization and world-building in their work than Jordan ever had.

Shinjitsu

Banned
wizards.jpg

It's been years since I have read this book.

I Decided to read the whole series again before I started on The Wheel of Time Books, since I've had a lot of free time lately.

Blackace

Tim the Wiz said:
I'll have to disagree. The first six or so books were good, but from then on the series has become mired in mediocrity. Character progression stalled, the plot had become as slow to develop as a day-time soap, and the believability of his world became threatened. Only with Jordan's last book did the series begin to recover - and, as for Sanderson's entry, well, I have yet to delve into that.

And I'm of the opinion that there are quite a few (as opposed to "very few") writers - exclusively within the genre, even - who have a better sense of characterization and world-building in their work than Jordan ever had.

well that's your opinion and it really differs from mine. There was a lot of fat in the last few books. But hey he was dying.

nyong

Banned
Blackace said:

I'll stick it out, I guess. His writing is my only problem. Something about his prose is jarring...I'm hoping it gets better as he develops as a writer through the series.

Blackace

nyong said:
I'll stick it out, I guess. His writing is my only problem. Something about his prose is jarring...I'm hoping it gets better as he develops as a writer through the series.

I think most people who have read agree that the first 4 to 5 book (I love 5) are an awesome ride. But it does bloat up a bit later and didn't mind.

movie_club

Gilgamesh said:
2s0iwax.jpg

After the first few chapters, when Chabon gets done trying to impress you with how much Yiddish slang he can use, it's a really great read.
this has been sitting on my shelf for a while....keep me updated!

movie_club

ok GAF I am going to make a winter reading list for my time off from school. It is probably going to be way to difficult for me to finish....but ill try anyway. I will post the books when i decide. Wish me luck

Salazar

A great many books, essays, and poems on my spanking new Kindle. Most recently, the following pair, downloaded from a Project Gutenberg satellite.

'In Defense of Women' by H.L. Mencken. Possibly the finest work of satirically mingled ironic distance and belief I have ever read. I love Mencken, but also fear him.

http://manybooks.net/titles/menckenhetext98ndwmn11.html

'Deeds That Won the Empire' by W.H. Fitchett. Roaring accounts (much in the style of Hornblower, or Conan Doyle's 'Gerard') of key battles at land and sea in modern British history. Comically overwrought. Wonderful.

http://manybooks.net/titles/fitchettw1925519255-8.html

Blackace said:
well that's your opinion and it really differs from mine. There was a lot of fat in the last few books. But hey he was dying.

Now, this isn't singularly directed at you. I would simply suggest that fantasy/sci-fi has an extensive array of talent that isn't typically found on the bestseller lists, and that it's easy to get bogged down in comfortable escapism at the risk of missing unfamiliar brilliance - i.e. feeding on door-stopper epic fantasy with familiar tropes sometimes derived from Tolkien/D&D, whereas the likes of Kay, Wolfe, Powers, Mieville, Roberts, Stover, etc. are often ignored by the mainstream SF/F fan. (although not always, as the breakout success of similarly non-typical novels by guys and gals like Scott Lynch and Susanna Clarke can attest; not to mention the crossover power of certain authors like Carlos Ruiz Zafron)

This doesn't mean that there's no middle ground. Not every epic fantasy book is shamelessly pandering and intolerably lacking in originality (see: Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks... I'm sensing a pattern here) - indeed, many aren't - and yes, the current trends are quite positive when it comes to epic fantasy. Hell, early Wheel of Time is a good example of this; it was not a derivative experience, but rather a unique fantasy landscape which entailed familiar, but well-executed ideas. Moreover, Martin and Erikson - and recent up-and-comers like Rothfuss and Kearney - have shown anew that the epic fantasy format can be molded into exciting and masterful directions. It's just, there's so much quality in the genre that it becomes frustrating when people aren't motivated to look beyond the readily-accessible entries of that format...

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Tim the Wiz said:

And I'm of the opinion that there are quite a number of (as opposed to "very few") writers - exclusively within the genre, even - who have a better sense of characterization and world-building in their work than Jordan ever had.

Sanderson's entry is, imo, actually up there with the first 4-5 books in terms of quality. It's really damn good.

Blackace

Tim the Wiz said:
Now, this isn't singularly directed at you. I would simply suggest that fantasy/sci-fi has an extensive array of talent that isn't typically found on the bestseller lists, and that it's easy to get bogged down in comfortable escapism at the risk of missing unfamiliar brilliance - i.e. feeding on door-stopper epic fantasy with familiar tropes sometimes derived from Tolkien/D&D, whereas the likes of Kay, Wolfe, Powers, Mieville, Roberts, Stover, etc. are often ignored by the mainstream SF/F fan. (although not always, as the breakout success of similarly non-typical novels by guys and gals like Scott Lynch and Susanna Clarke can attest; not to mention the crossover power of certain authors like Carlos Ruiz Zafron)

This doesn't mean that there's no middle ground. Not every epic fantasy book is shamelessly pandering and intolerably lacking in originality (see: Terry Goodkind, Terry Brooks... I'm sensing a pattern here) - indeed, many aren't - and yes, the current trends are quite positive when it comes to epic fantasy. Hell, early Wheel of Time is a good example of this; it was not a derivative experience, but rather a unique fantasy landscape which entailed familiar, but well-executed ideas. Moreover, Martin and Erikson - and recent up-and-comers like Rothfuss and Kearney - have shown anew that the epic fantasy format can be molded into exciting and masterful directions. It's just, there's so much quality in the genre that it becomes frustrating when people aren't motivated to look beyond the readily-accessible entries of that format...

Rothfuss I have really hopes for. The Name of the Wind was an awesome experience. As well as Abecrombie. However, I hold Jordan in high regards not because he hit the bestsellers list (but if a writer of scifi/fantasy does it more power to em) but because of the vastness of his story. There are a lot of series that wrap in 3 books or 4 books and for something like saving the world or amassing the country together it can feel rushed. Writers like Jordan and Martin use a large cast of characters. Something that I also respect and admire. When I read some semi-minor character in WoT and ASoIaF I feel that the writer could write about this minor character as a main character easily (hope that made sense.) And I love large cast in my fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Sometimes sparse is good. Like Glen Cook who doesn't use the biggest cast in the world and when new characters pop up he kinds of rolls with. He gets to the point and wraps up nicely. And I enjoy that type of writing as well..

But the ability to tell a story of so many characters and make them relate like Jordan did is why I enjoy his work so much.

I know it wasn't directed at me. But I just thought I'd chime about it. I enjoy "mainstream" fantasy as well as the off the beaten path series. Both are very fulfilling. It's always cool to talk books and writers.

finowns

Blackace said:
god.. most fantasy shares ideas with one another if you look hard enough. Pretty everything in your post is a stretch. I have read all 3 series in question and they share very little with each other. If Jordan isn't your thing that's cool but I really can't see where any of those comparisons really apply.

I might of went a little overboard but there are a lot of similarities between Dune (there is no series) and WOT I will leave it at that.

Like I said there are good points I am almost done with book 11 -- coming off such a frustrating and stale read of the last couple books -- it is definitely picking up; the scene when Nynaeve is talking to the merchant and asking Malkieri to ride behind Lan was so great.

But then again immediately after Rand is getting his ass spanked by Cadsuane? Little things like that throw me off there is no tone that I can follow which makes the experience jarring to say the least.

All that aside I want to say I like WOT and I will finish the series because I am interested in the World and the story has captured me even while being frustrating. I started reading this series last month and have since been reading it non stop that should say something.

Salazar

Blackace said:
I know it wasn't directed at me. But I just thought I'd chime about it. I enjoy "mainstream" fantasy as well as the off the beaten path series. Both are very fulfilling. It's always cool to talk books and writers.

Mickey Zucker Reichert. Her real name is Miriam.

I sometimes think I'm the only fantasy fan, or at least the only Gaffer, who's into her books. The Renshai series is masterful.

Dan said:
I'm rereading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.

I want to read more Reynolds. All I've read is RS, and while it had what I thought were GREAT ideas, the story itself felt empty - almost like the plot was too simple or the cast too small to do justice to the ideas being addressed. It felt VERY much like a first novel, but one that left me pretty sure Reynolds would get better - perhaps MUCH better.

Keen said:
Sanderson's entry is, imo, actually up there with the first 4-5 books in terms of quality. It's really damn good.

That's what I keep hearing, which is a good thing - the book is actually on my bookshelf waiting to be read.

Salazar said:
Mickey Zucker Reichert. Her real name is Miriam.

I sometimes think I'm the only fantasy fan, or at least the only Gaffer, who's into her books. The Renshai series is masterful.

Well, don't believe it. I'm still yet to tear into her first Renshai novel, Flight of the Renshai, in over a decade. It was released this year, and there's apparently two more books in the series to follow.

Blackace said:
Rothfuss I have really hopes for. The Name of the Wind was an awesome experience. As well as Abecrombie. However, I hold Jordan in high regards not because he hit the bestsellers list (but if a writer of scifi/fantasy does it more power to em) but because of the vastness of his story. There are a lot of series that wrap in 3 books or 4 books and for something like saving the world or amassing the country together it can feel rushed. Writers like Jordan and Martin use a large cast of characters. Something that I also respect and admire. When I read some semi-minor character in WoT and ASoIaF I feel that the writer could write about this minor character as a main character easily (hope that made sense.) And I love large cast in my fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Sometimes sparse is good. Like Glen Cook who doesn't use the biggest cast in the world and when new characters pop up he kinds of rolls with. He gets to the point and wraps up nicely. And I enjoy that type of writing as well..

But the ability to tell a story of so many characters and make them relate like Jordan did is why I enjoy his work so much.

I hear you. I think what set me off was you saying (about Jordan), "[v]ery few other writers have given me the sense of growth of characters and the feeling of visiting the world they created". That just doesn't mesh with my experience of reading within the genre and reading the Wheel of Time series - especially in the latter half when character progression became stagnant and the broad, unique world he created became a specter of its former ability to fascinate and excite. Of course, there's been a decent recovery of late, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on whether Jordan is amongst the top of a rarefied few or a middling branch on a larger tree when it comes to the ability to construct meaningful, engaging characterization and an excellent world of real depth and scope.

Alucard

Banned
Finished this today:

6a00c2251f97228fdb00e398f5bd630005-500pi

The Gunslinger by Stephen King

The Review:
In his introduction to this revised and expanded edition of the 1982 novel, Stephen King writes that one of his goals for The Gunslinger was to create a world that blended The Lord of the Rings with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Say what you will, but that idea is pretty darned cool and ambitious, and I believe he has succeeded in achieving this goal to a degree. Hyperbole and high concepts aside, it is the characters and the world that surrounds them that take centre stage in this book. King does an excellent job of revealing the protagonist's history in a patient way, and Roland's confrontation at the end of the narrative brings together and also explodes what King had been building up to that point.

In essence, this is a book about the journey; the quest; the mythological hero who stands outside of time. As Roland travels across barren landscapes in an inexplicable hunt for the mysterious Man in Black, King's craftsmanship takes centre stage, as he succeeds in having his writing style mirror the narrative substance. Time is a very nebulous concept throughout the book, as Roland and other characters are constantly waking up without a sense of how many hours, days, or weeks may have passed them by. A recurring phrase in the story is "the world had moved on." These narrative touches give clues to what is hiding under the veneer of a simple chase novel, and the importance of these phrases and how King handles time throughout the book are illuminated in the climax. Credit must be given to the author for this use of perpetual forshadowing and overarching themes that actually amount to something by the end.

In addition to the explicit time language mentioned above, the structure of the book also seems to exist in a massive vacuum. The author jumps from action in the present, to flashbacks, to dreams, and back to the present again. Everything seamlessly blends together, and it never becomes confusing, as each scene is part of the greater tapestry that King is constantly building on here. And yet, we follow Roland through deserts, decrepit towns and their dirty taverns, mountains, and farms, without ever missing a beat. There is a consistent rhythm that pushes the book forward, and despite it being split into five marked sections, each noted by a clean page and an illustration, there is a strong sense of continuity.

While the book is about one man hunting another on the outside, there are plot points that keep pushing the book into the realm of the weird, and that keep the reader guessing as to what is actually going on. For instance, just when I thought I had a handle of the book's universe, Roland meets Jake, who seems to be from New York, and a world of cars and industry. Up to that point in the novel, the reader is getting comfortable in an Old West setting, and all that comes with it. Elements like this keep things interesting, and King carefully introduces them to keep the reader hooked just enough, never fully exposing his hand until the end. Even then, things are just getting started. By the final page, I had learned much about Roland, the Man in Black, the world they inhabit, and I got a hint of the much bigger storyline of the Dark Tower. King hooked me and had me ready to pick up the second book in the series, and that is the sign of a writer who knows just how much to tell and when to tell it.

If I had to point out a problem with the book, I personally did not like the blanket portrayal of women as being either horny, submissive, or crazy. I could not find a single positive female role model in the story, as they largely served to...well, serve. Or to tempt with their bodies, or to react with rage if Roland denied them his services. I have a feeling that Mr. King may have been scorned by more than one female during the time of writing this novel. Either way, there is a decidedly macho and patriarchal vibe that runs through much of the story, and when a woman is actually in power, it is because of her body and what she can do with it.

The above criticism aside, The Gunslinger is an engrossing adventure. It might seem slow and dry to some, but the observant and patient reader is rewarded by the end, and is left hungry for more. What more can one ask for from the first book in a series of seven?

The Verdict:
If you enjoy quest narratives and heroic mythology, you will likely enjoy this. I really like the way the story is paced, and the themes it hints at in the final encounter suggest an adventure on a truly epic scale. Once I get through my current backlog, I will likely continue the journey towards the Dark Tower.

4/5

Next Up:
Girl in a Red River Coat by Mary Peate.

More at my blog: http://backlogbooksblog.blogspot.com/

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Tim the Wiz said:
I sorta gave up on the book after the first chapter. Tell me, is it worth a re-attempt? I vaguely remember someone - Kim Stanley Robinson? - recommending his work as a central part of a new Golden Age of British Science Fiction. Or, perhaps, I'm confusing him with Adam Roberts - same initials and all.
Well the first chapter is only 17 pages and deals with only one-third of the lead characters/plots, so I don't think it's representative. I suppose it depends how likely you are to enjoy massive futuristic stories about humans, transhumans, story concepts spanning millions of years and the inevitably imminent danger to entire star systems. I'd say read the first three chapters and if you still don't care, then I guess it's not for you.

sparky2112 said:
I want to read more Reynolds. All I've read is RS, and while it had what I thought were GREAT ideas, the story itself felt empty - almost like the plot was too simple or the cast too small to do justice to the ideas being addressed. It felt VERY much like a first novel, but one that left me pretty sure Reynolds would get better - perhaps MUCH better.
I've yet to read his other novels. It's part of the reason I'm rereading Revelation Space, so I can get back into that universe even though I don't think any specific characters really reappear. I read it way back when it was new, so all the details are fairly forgotten.

Alucard said:
I will likely continue the journey towards the Dark Tower.

Welcome. The next three novels in the series are some of the best King has ever written.

Alucard said:
If I had to point out a problem with the book, I personally did not like the blanket portrayal of women as being either horny, submissive, or crazy. I could not find a single positive female role model in the story, as they largely served to...well, serve.

Well, there are one or two strong central female characters coming up in the next three books, but that doesn't mean they aren't on the crazy/horny side.

Just finished Sandworms of Dune. Nothing really surprising in it, average book at best. The whole book builts up to nothing really, and some stuff that is going on just seems to go to a dead end.
And the whole ghola thing, damn, bring in some new characters and don't clone everyone from the original book. Really, what kind of useful skill can Yueh have. I can understand Paul, Thufir and Leto II, but can Jessica, Chani, Liet-Kynes or Stilgar do anything special in a giant End of Times battle?

But well, I'm continueing with the sequel Sandworms of Dune to finish off the whole serie. It is a shame Herbert died before he could finish the whole saga, I think it would have had a way better conclusion or at least writing with him.

87-1.jpg

Chorazin

Tim the Wiz said:
Well, don't believe it. I'm still yet to tear into her first Renshai novel, Flight of the Renshai, in over a decade. It was released this year, and there's apparently two more books in the series to follow.

I'm a huge fan of hers as well. I got the first Renshai book at a flea market for 25 cents and I was instantly hooked. I have Flight on my Xmas list, if I don't get it I'll buy it myself in the new year.

way more

Gilgamesh said:
2s0iwax.jpg

After the first few chapters, when Chabon gets done trying to impress you with how much Yiddish slang he can use, it's a really great read.

I enjoyed this more that Cavalier and Clay. Not that it's better but Yiddish is just more fun and it lets Chabon develop a new and bizarre city of his own creation.

Salazar

Flaubert's Bouvard et Pécuchet.

Superb. I can appreciate him as a stylist in 'Madame Bovary', but only in translation - which weakens the purity of the pleasure. I think the comedy—because this is a strongly comical book—moves across languages more easily than the style. Of course, it is in a sense a part of the style, something owing to the phrasing, but I respect Flaubert the more when he makes me laugh than when he makes me swoon or gives me writerly envy.

E-book link.

http://manybooks.net/titles/flaubert2501425014-8.html

Ace 8095 said:

Please, PLEASE do yourself a favor and read the sequel, Speaker For The Dead. It covers some pretty unique ideas regarding what the human race would do if it discovered another intelligent, just slightly under-advanced race out in space.

I always viewed it as Ender's game had the action, gave us the setting, and set up the characters. Speaker is now going deeper into the mind of Ender after having to grow up with the weight of his actions above his head.

There are tons of books in the series. But really only Ender's Game and Speaker For The Dead. I hear Xenocide, which immediately follows speaker and Children Of The Mind or something are worth reading as well. Although I dunno what Children Of The Mind is about.

I've also read Ender In Exile (I was craving more after Speaker) and it was surprisingly decent. I wish I read it before Speaker as it is a direct sequel to Ender's game and leads to Speaker. But it was a nice book that covered a lot of what felt rushed in Ender's game. Mainly, the last few chapters that quickly went over Ender's life beginning on a colony.

Speaker can be slow to start up, you'll wonder if you are reading an Ender's Game novel for the first few chapters and he is not even in it for that small portion, but trust me.

Also, don't buy them. Card is a great writer, but humanity-wish is a fucking republican, gay hating, douche who doesn't deserve any self respecting person's money. Get them from a library or friend.

Goddamn, I REALLY need to lay off the Adderall.

----

On topic. I want to start A Song Of Fire And Ice before the show starts up. But no library's in South Western PA have any of them. So I picked up Angels & Demons to hold me over. I never really wanted to read it and I have seen the movies but as I got a few chapters in, I am loving the idea of Science wanting to get back at Religion as a whole for what they did in the ancient past. Almost makes me wish the rest of the story focused on that.

Got a diverse amount of books for Xmas.

200px-Halo_Evolutions_cover.jpg

ultimate-wolverine-vs-hulk-20051117010529051-000.jpg

robert_cialdini

And because I want you guys to be posting one of mine in here one day :D :

0811845052_large.jpg

At the pace of my procrastination I'll be on page 20 by the next NaNoWriMo :-/.

ultron87

Finished Clash of Kings last night. At first it seemed liked not much much was happening throughout the first 2/3s of the book. But then near the end shit got mostly crazy and exciting.
The battle at King's Island was totally awesome. There were some pretty surprising twists, but none as major as Ned getting killed in the first book. The only things that were close were when Renly got killed and when it seemed that Theon had killed Bran and Rickon.

Now I'm left with a choice as to what to read next. I have The Forever War, the latest Wheel of Time book The Gathering Storm, Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, and of course the next Song of Ice and Fire book.

All are making strong cases.

Mifune

Mehmber
mac said:
I enjoyed this more that Cavalier and Clay. Not that it's better but Yiddish is just more fun and it lets Chabon develop a new and bizarre city of his own creation.

Yeah, Yiddish Policemen's Union is a total blast. Surprisingly good mystery too.

Damn that Chabon guy can write.

293827k.jpg

400 pages or so in. I'm really liking it; reminds me of Mann's The Magic Mountain, which is always a good thing. My first Solzhenitsyn, so I'm not sure how it compares to his other works. Pretty damn depressing, though (shocker, I know).

way more

StormyTheRabbit said:
Please, PLEASE do yourself a favor and read the sequel, Speaker For The Dead. It covers some pretty unique ideas regarding what the human race would do if it discovered another intelligent, just slightly under-advanced race out in space.

I digress. I thought it silly and juvenile and made me give up on the series. But Ender's Game is sweet.

Mobius 1

9780553572421.jpg

Picked this up on a whim after feeling nostalgic for The Day of the Jackal and War Dogs. Not nearly entertaining as those former efforts by Mr. Forsyth, but I liked it still.

By the way, I just finished Dragon Age Origins and I feel like reading a good, dark fantasy novel. Recommendations?

mac said:
I digress. I thought it silly and juvenile and made me give up on the series. But Ender's Game is sweet.

Honestly?...REALLY? Ender's game was alright, but I only really connected with Ender due to having read the Halo novels, which hold a slight bit of nostalgia for me, and feeling like I was connecting to John as he went through his training as well.

Speaker, in my opinion, was so much more mature about it all. The plot was interesting, which I can't really say about Ender's Game other than the twist at the end. Although I had a feeling what happened was going to in the first place, but for excitement sake and for the books, I tried to ignore my gut feeling.

What struck you as "silly and juvenile" about Speaker, out of curiosity.

I'm not bashing Ender's Game at all. I just can't understand how someone could think Speaker was silly verses Ender's game. I could see someone saying its more boring in their opinion or something...but juvenile?

Salazar

bumbillbee said:
400 pages or so in. I'm really liking it; reminds me of Mann's The Magic Mountain, which is always a good thing. My first Solzhenitsyn, so I'm not sure how it compares to his other works. Pretty damn depressing, though (shocker, I know).

Kostoglotov, apart from having a wonderful name, is frightfully affecting.

Jarlaxle

I just finished Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks. Ugh......what a mistake I made in buying all of these books. I don't know what's wrong with me that compells me to buy an entire series without reading even the first book in the series. If that had been the case I would have read the first book and never felt compelled to pick up anymore. As it is, they are dreadfully predictable, shallow, moralistic books....and I have 8 more of them sitting on my shelf. I don't know whether it's sadomasochism or what that drives me to finish something that I start. I do the same things with games: Even if I'm not enjoying it at all I make myself finish it. Oh well. I'll try and read the next four part set in a month or two.

Now onto something hopefully alot better. Next up: World War Z by Max Brooks.

Xrenity

Finished 1984 last week for the first time. Thought it was rather brilliant :)

Bit boring when Winston and Julia are together for a while though and he starts reading the book. Everything else was awesome. Really makes you think.

Xrenity said:
Finished 1984 last week for the first time. Thought it was rather brilliant :)

Bit boring when Winston and Julia are together for a while though and he starts reading the book. Everything else was awesome. Really makes you think.

Favorite book of all time.

The book starts out incredibly slow, but after a while you get used to it and even the smallest event will give you excitement. For instance, when he gets that paper weight. But then outta nowhere...BAMHOLYFUCKWHATHTEFCKHELLSPARTANSCHEESEGOATMUFFIN and then the book COMPLETELY changes tones.

FnordChan

Star Power said:

I'd be curious to hear what you thought of this when you're done. I've been interested in picking it up myself, but I already have a copy of Tim Lawrence's Love Saves The Day: A History of American Dance Music Culture, 1970-1979 waiting patiently in one of my to-read piles and I'm probably better off with only one unread music history book at a time. (Let's not talk about the unfinished copy of England's Dreaming I've had gathering dust since the early 90s.)

FnordChan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom