• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

StormyTheRabbit said:
Speaker, in my opinion, was so much more mature about it all. The plot was interesting, which I can't really say about Ender's Game other than the twist at the end. Although I had a feeling what happened was going to in the first place, but for excitement sake and for the books, I tried to ignore my gut feeling.

What struck you as "silly and juvenile" about Speaker, out of curiosity.

One thing was the acceptance of Ender as a priest. As a moody loner he was believable but his advice and occupation as a therapeutic sage was bizarre. The people studying the "pigs," never rang true as scientists. Their observations were too limited and simple. And the ending with all three species talking to each other and planning a Utopian society just came out of nowhere and seemed just a way to set up future novels.

Ender was a simple book. Brilliant and lonely nerd is harassed and uses his intellect to win military simulations. It's not too heavy and doesn't need to have fully realized characters. Speaker didn't have the characters or writing necessary for it's task. Nobody behaved like a real family or had any core.

It was silly because the characters never achieved the level of seriousness they spoke with.

thomaser

Finished Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel" today. It easily and effectively explains a very complex problem: why people in some parts of the world have developed much farther than people in other parts of the world.

41DEY2xTfwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now, just starting on Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian". A highly praised continuation of the Dracula-story. I'm not far in, but it seems very well written and is chock full of historical facts and details. Should be a nice read now when the cold and snow sets in!

Epcott

Finished "Children of the Mind" by Orson Scott Card.

Shocked by the conclusion, waiting for the book that ties the Ender's Shadow series with the Ender series (only to see how and if Bean will be involved with the
Descaladors
).

But I have no interest in reading the Shadow series, the first seems too much of a rehash of Ender's Game.

Now reading

The-Dark-Tower-III-A9X717L.jpg

And I don't intend to trifle myself with any other readings until I get to the last book.

ultron87 said:
Now I'm left with a choice as to what to read next. I have The Forever War, the latest Wheel of Time book The Gathering Storm, Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, and of course the next Song of Ice and Fire book.

All are making strong cases.

Finished the Forever War a short time ago myself. Start with that one. I read it in three days, it's a short and quick read, but very interesting.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished bukowski's Post office.

I've been wanting to read a book about Nikola Tesla for a long time but have never gotten around to it and don't know what would be the best book to pick up. Any recommendations?

CiSTM

Banned
Gonzo! by Hunter S. Thompson... Well not really reading it since it's a photo book but still it has some nice pics :) It's also limited edition 1228/3000 my early christmas present.

Reza_Neko

Currently, I am reading the 4th book in the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" trilogy:

mcd5x1.jpg

So far, it's disappointing, when compared to the previous books in the series. It's not nearly as funny and it lacks my favorite character, Zaphod Beeblebrox.

After that, I'll move on to the next one in the series:
25ez8kl.jpg

And then, when I go back to school, I plan on checking out a collection of short stories by Jorge Luis Borges, called, "El Aleph", in the hopes of improving my Spanish :D

I very much would like to read "The Looking Glass Wars", apparently a trilogy that is supposed to be a sequel to "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass". I love everything to do with "Alice in Wonderland", so after I'm done with the other three books on my list, I'll start this:D.

HurricaneJesus said:
Currently reading "Under The Dome", the new Stephen King.

Really liking it so far.

That is the last book I've read. It's a good read, but I felt that the length made it drag frequently. I'm no stranger to King's 1000 page + novels, but maybe I just don't have the patience for them like I once did.

I friend of mine gave me Hyperion as a gift yesterday, so I suppose that's the next book I'll be reading.

HurricaneJesus said:
Currently reading "Under The Dome", the new Stephen King.

under-the-dome-review-4.jpg

Really liking it so far.

This is going to be the next book I will read. Probably start on it after this weekend. First Stephen King book I picked up in my life. Excited!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
thomaser said:
41DEY2xTfwL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Now, just starting on Elizabeth Kostova's "The Historian". A highly praised continuation of the Dracula-story. I'm not far in, but it seems very well written and is chock full of historical facts and details. Should be a nice read now when the cold and snow sets in!

It's a good book, but the first part is really slow and frankly rather boring, but it picks up its pace as the plot progresses.

MyEpitomeCliché said:
That is the last book I've read. It's a good read, but I felt that the length made it drag frequently. I'm no stranger to King's 1000 page + novels, but maybe I just don't have the patience for them like I once did.

I friend of mine gave me Hyperion as a gift yesterday, so I suppose that's the next book I'll be reading.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting a thousand page novel based on the premise, but I find that when I love a SK book, I never want it to end, so hopefully I enjoy this one.

ClosingADoor said:
This is going to be the next book I will read. Probably start on it after this weekend. First Stephen King book I picked up in my life. Excited!

First one? I wish I could go back to when I had never read a SK. I am glad he is still writing at least, so I do get something new every so often.

thomaser

Combichristoffersen said:
It's a good book, but the first part is really slow and frankly rather boring, but it picks up its pace as the plot progresses.

Yes, there's not much happening in the beginning. Just a lot of hints about "something terrible" that happened, that's revealed to us in tiny, tiny portions. But I don't mind the slow pace so far - I read it mostly to unwind between the Christmas-stress at work.

FnordChan

I finished First Lord's Fury earlier today, wrapping up Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. While there weren't a ton of surprises, it was a solid ending with all the major loose ends wrapped up neatly. Definitely recommended for Dresden Files fans looking for more Butcher to tide them over until Changes is released or for epic fantasy fans interested in a complete series to tear through.

Next up, Under the Dome by Stephen King. I'll be toting that around while travelling during the holidays; at over a thousand pages this should ensure I'll remain suitably entertained no matter how much sitting around and waiting for a flight I might have to endure.

FnordChan

Finished this about a week ago:

41uiQd13dyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

First time I have read Mieville and I was very, very impressed. Will probably track down more of his stuff.

Also read Neuromancer and Count Zero, which were both good, if a bit clumsy, especially CZ. Reading Mona Lisa Overdrive right now. So far it is better than both the earlier texts.

Toby

Someone suggested
fireuponadeep.jpg

in the sci-fi book thread.
Thank you so much. Such a great read I was able to read it in chunks of 100 pages until the end. I can't wait to get started on A Deepness in the Sky.

Well thanks to school being done and being caught up on all my manga, I now have time for books. Ive read every Artemis Fowl except for this one so Im reading it now.

Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox. Cant wait for the next one.
time-paradox-the.jpg

demon

Toby said:
Someone suggested
http://igor.lucidthoughts.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/fireuponadeep.jpg[/IMG
in the sci-fi book thread.
Thank you so much. Such a great read I was able to read it in chunks of 100 pages until the end. I can't wait to get started on A Deepness in the Sky.[/QUOTE]
Looks interesting. added to my amazon wishlist.

So I just finished H S Thompson's Hells Angels, and will be starting the first of King's Dark Tower books. Since I'm not what you'd call the most patient reader and like to move onto something else after 300-400 pages, does the book work well enough on its own for me to hold off on the other Dark Tower books for later, or should I try to read them all in succession?

Jarlaxle

demon said:
\
So I just finished H S Thompson's Hells Angels, and will be starting the first of King's Dark Tower books. Since I'm not what you'd call the most patient reader and like to move onto something else after 300-400 pages, does the book work well enough on its own for me to hold off on the other Dark Tower books for later, or should I try to read them all in succession?

I would definitely reccomend reading them all in succession but if that's not your thing, the first one does end pretty well. The gunslinger is sort of just one long introduction to the series. I'd be surprised if after finishing The Drawing of the Three or The Wastelands, you'd want to read something else instead of the next in the series.

Salazar

The McSweeney's Panorama arrived in the mail this afternoon.

Jesus. This thing will take me a week or more. Going to have to attack each section separately, or I'll be all year reading it.

ultron87

I just read The Forever War in two days. Twas a nice quick read and I must say I really enjoyed it.

Even though it was clearly about Vietnam it still had plenty of resonance to today.

I also found his take on the evolution of human society to be quite interesting. I could've called the 'twist'
that the humans were the agressors
from a mile off, but that was fine.

Finished Sandworms of Dune three days ago. Not a bad book, but not that good either. Ending was disappointing.
Could have told them Duncan was the Kwiszat Hiderach at the beginning of the book
. There is a huge storyline with the Face Dancers that was ended in a page of two, which didn't make sense to me at all.
Same with the robot leader that is removed with no problems as soon as they find him.

All in all, the original still is miles better then all the sequels combined.

Now started with Under the Dome, about a hundred pages in. Lots of characters and killing going around, but I like it a lot.

under_the_dome.jpg

Reza_Neko

Just finished:

73meyp.jpg

I just started reading a collection of short stories by Jorge Luis Borges (in Spanish to immerse myself in the language since Spanish is my major). It contains two anthologies of his short stories. The one I'm reading right now is called, "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius".
2r5x05u.jpg

Edit: Oops forgot I already posted here. Sorry!

ymmv

Banned
Just started

31WrVp-SSFL._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It's about Charles Dickens battling his fictional character Drood in real life. Like all Dan Simmons books it's a very good read. I'm only 80 pages in and it's getting interesting.

demon

Well my mom just got me this for xmas so it's going to be my next read after I finish Glunslinger. She got me The Endurance by the same author for my birthday, which was a really good read, so I'm sure I'll like this.

34zd2x4.jpg

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Got Dan Browns Lost Symbol for Christmas............. just looked at my mum and shook my head :lol

Shes gonna give it to my dad or sisters boyfriend, they like that stuff.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Got Dan Browns Lost Symbol for Christmas............. just looked at my mum and shook my head :lol

Shes gonna give it to my dad or sisters boyfriend, they like that stuff.

For some reason I would rather, and cant wait for the movie. Ive never attempted to read the books of Dan Brown.

SephriJ

Schattenjagger said:
Just finished
978-1-58642-15_9781586421557.jpg
. Good stuff - scorcese and de Niro might make a movie

not sure if I should start
house-of-leaves.jpg

Anybody read it? Worth it?

Very strange book. My girlfriend read it after me and said she skipped a lot of it because it made no sense.

I am reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies by Jane Austen and Seth Grahame - Smith.

Mifune

Mehmber
184926.jpg

Erickson is one of my favorites, and while this isn't his best, it has enough truly poignant things to say about writers and unrealized dreams to remind me why I love the guy.

Just started:
607047.jpg

It's sublime.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Child 44
Windup Bird Chronicles
Name of the Wind
Netochka Nezvanovna
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Dante's Inferno

and some Physics books.

S. L.

finished
quietamerican.jpg

fantastic book

and finished in two nights: :D
southoftheborder.jpg

totally loved it

not sure what i will read next
probably Joseph Conrad's Taifun

Mifune

Mehmber
Nobody talks much about South of the Border, West of the Sun, but it's a fantastic book. Easily my favorite of Murakami's "normal" stuff and one of his best, period.

Salazar

S. L. said:
finished
quietamerican.jpg

fantastic book

'The Human Factor' is also terribly good. Not well-regarded, and neither a dramatic nor a comic success in the way that 'Our Man in Havana' is, but I really like it.

Finished Cancer Ward. Kostoglotov was indeed an amazing character. I did feel like I was beaten over the head will allegory near the end, though. But that's pretty much my only complaint.

Now, I'm finally tackling
eld3p.jpg

Genet's prose is damn difficult, but beautiful. So it's slow reading, but I'm really enjoying it. Only he could write an ode to Vaseline and make it literature, haha.

elrechazao said:
Did they release this with a real binding yet or is it still glue in?
Locke562 said:
I'd really love to know this as well.
I'm afraid not, but I'm not having any problems with the glue binding. My only [minor] complaint that each volume is quite heavy so it's sometimes difficult to navigate it comfortably.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ymmv said:
Just started

It's about Charles Dickens battling his fictional character Drood in real life. Like all Dan Simmons books it's a very good read. I'm only 80 pages in and it's getting interesting.

just want to say that Dan Simmons is one of the most versatile writers ever.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
StormyTheRabbit said:
Honestly?...REALLY? Ender's game was alright, but I only really connected with Ender due to having read the Halo novels, which hold a slight bit of nostalgia for me, and feeling like I was connecting to John as he went through his training as well.

Speaker, in my opinion, was so much more mature about it all. The plot was interesting, which I can't really say about Ender's Game other than the twist at the end. Although I had a feeling what happened was going to in the first place, but for excitement sake and for the books, I tried to ignore my gut feeling.

What struck you as "silly and juvenile" about Speaker, out of curiosity.

I'm not bashing Ender's Game at all. I just can't understand how someone could think Speaker was silly verses Ender's game. I could see someone saying its more boring in their opinion or something...but juvenile?

Speaker for the Dead is basically his Mormon beliefs disguised as a novel.

terror.jpg

Just finished.
Best book I have read in a long long time. I experienced the entire gamut of emotions while reading this book. The characters were excellent, the decription of the Ice and its many perils facinating and I never ever saw the end coming. Truly original and a breath of fresh air.

I had no idea Dan Simmons is the guy that wrote the Fall of Hyperion that I see pop up in these threads all the time. I have never had any desire to read that series but after this book I think I will definitely check it out.

Quick question for those that read the Terror.
Who is in
Croziers bed at the end?
Will we ever know who tried to
navigate Terror to its final resting place
or are these meant to be open ended questions?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
9781883011079.jpg

my love for film noir realized... incredible dialogue, pulpy stories, femme fatales. america's library is the best publisher, too - the quality of the binding is top notch.

theoldmanandthesea.jpg

hemingway's prose is excellent and a constant reminder that mccarthy couldn't pull off a similar style in the road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom