• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 09)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jon bones said:
9781883011079.jpg

my love for film noir realized... incredible dialogue, pulpy stories, femme fatales. america's library is the best publisher, too - the quality of the binding is top notch.
I only have two PKD collections from them, but I want sooo many more from them. They are the best books in my collection.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
CajoleJuice said:
I only have two PKD collections from them, but I want sooo many more from them. They are the best books in my collection.

oh yes, off the top of my head i know i need the steinbeck collection with east of eden, the second raymond chandler collection, the early works of f scott fitzgerald and the Kerouac collection (obviously)

brilliant stuff

jon bones said:
oh yes, off the top of my head i know i need the steinbeck collection with east of eden, the second raymond chandler collection, the early works of f scott fitzgerald and the Kerouac collection (obviously)

brilliant stuff
I'm gonna go browse Amazon to add a bunch of them (including a couple of those you mention) to my wish list just so I can keep track for myself.

I can't believe Amazon has the ENTIRE COLLECTION on sale.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1598530003/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Been reading Wise Guys/Goodfella's by Nicolas Pileggi and I must say it's brilliant to get a bit more backstory to one of my favourite movies - makes me wonder what other book to movie adaptions i've missed out on reading, anyone have any reccomendations? Wasn't Apocalypse Now a novel?

Bebedora

I'd always heard this was one of the best biographies in the English language, so I've been working on it. It's interesting, but I'm thinking I should have gone with the abridged version maybe...

LifeofJohnson.jpg

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Into_the_Wild-723696.png

Interesting book although I don't like how Chris Mccandless can be a selfish jerk by not letting others help him out. I'll read Name of the Wind or Feast of Crows after this because I know George RR Martin will eventually finish dance of dragons

Chorazin

Got a ton of books for Xmas, and a Kindle, so I am a reading fiend right now!

I just finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, such a good concept wrapped in some pointless meanderings and plots that could have easily been cut. Also, a rather massive fuck you ending annoyed me greatly, after what I thought was a pretty awesome climax.

Just started Wil Wheaton's Just a Geek today, so far it's pretty darn good.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Drood at home. A fictional novel set around Charles Dickens and his last few years before death from the point of view of a "best friend". Interesting because it mixes real events in his life with fictional story plots. Also loosely based on/around his unfinished last novel. I also like the writing style of the "friend" because it manages to criticize Dickens' style while praising it and also copying it at the same time. Sort of a "You suck" out loud then secretly copying it because you know it is amazing.

n271760.jpg

At work I am reading The Monsters of Templeton. A semi-fictional novel that is sort of a coming of age story for a girl who comes back to middle of nowhere town pregnant and ashamed. Book features a loch ness style monster. Instant +1 when I was reading the cover at the library trying to decide which book to pick up.:lol

monsters_templeton.jpg

jon bones said:
america's library is the best publisher, too - the quality of the binding is top notch.

I secretly wish Library of America would become Library of Everywhere so I wouldn't have to buy any classics from anyone else.

CiSTM

Banned
I started reading Hunter S. Thompson yet again. I just find his writing hillarious. Currently reading Curse of Lono (1st. edition). Books has plenty of ralph stedman's art so it's only a plus :) Next I'm probably going to read Fear and loathing on campaing trail '72.

Salazar

Antony Beevor's Paris: After the Occupation.

Superb. As gripping, in its way, as his writing that treats the warfare directly.

Melhisedek said:
Anyone read Tigana by Kay? How is it?

I've heard good things, but it couldn't sustain my interest. The Lions of Al-Rassan is his true masterpiece, although I'm yet to read his Sarantine Mosaic duology - which I'm currently rectifying alongside some other long-overdue reads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom