• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2012)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
can someone share an opinion on Willam Gibson's books after his Bridge trilogy? I mean everything since All Tomorrow's Parties. I tried exceprts but I didn't like them. They seem to be overburdened with style. I mean I totally agree with his decision to write about contemporary world since "Earth is the alien planet now" but I don't like how he does it.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
When I read Wizard's First Rule, a bunch of pages at the end of the book were missing.

I tracked down another copy to read that section, but in retrospect it made little difference to the quality of the book.

Funny, I would have guessed that fewer pages would mean higher quality! Lesser Terry is, after all, better!

Salazar

I just want his interim novella and the next mainline book to come out.

Meantime, I am rereading this

WmzsX.jpg

And this for a reading group.

nu8QW.jpg

Ratrat

Good to know, I guess I just assumed everyone preferred Ender's game.

Enders Game is a lot more widely read too no doubt. Some of the sequels are pretty dire so people are advised to stay away from all of them together, which is unfortunate.

ultron87

Good to know, I guess I just assumed everyone preferred Ender's game.

I think a lot of people get massively put off by the fact that Speaker is an entirely different genre of sci-fi and thus dislike it. Then they go and say crazy things like the Shadow books being better.

FnordChan

Does anyone have a recommendation for a book about snipers? The guy that was on Conan last night has me interested but from the reviews it sounds like his book deals a lot with his personal/domestic life and not his military action. Are the books about Carlos Hathcock any good - White Feather perhaps?

I can't vouch for these myself, but my roommate is a great fan of Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger novels, which are loosely based on Hathcock. The first novel in the series is Point of Impact, which was adapted a few years ago as the flick Shooter with Marky Mark as Swagger. That sounds like it'll be right up your alley.

Also, while it's manga and rather over the top, I'd suggest checking out Takao Saito's Golgo 13 series. It's about Duke Togo, the world's greatest assassin for hire. He's stoic, he's a consummate professional, and he almost never misses. However, what makes the Golgo 13 comics interesting isn't Togo himself but the characters and politics surrounding each of his assignments. Golgo 13 has been published since 1969 and reading the series gives you a glimpse into the issues of the era each of his adventures were published in, all in a ripped-straight-from-the-headlines sort of way.

There are hundreds of volumes of Golgo 13 available in Japan, with a 13 volume best-of series being available in English from Viz. Each and every Golgo 13 adventure is entirely self-contained - all you need to know is that Duke Togo is a sniper for hire - so you could grab any given volume of the US release and give it a shot. You can't go wrong starting with the first volume of the Viz releases, but any given volume that you see cheap (with used copies on Amazon being available practically for the cost of shipping alone), or where the story catches your eye is just a valid a starting point as any other.

subversus said:
can someone share an opinion on Willam Gibson's books after his Bridge trilogy? I mean everything since All Tomorrow's Parties. I tried exceprts but I didn't like them. They seem to be overburdened with style. I mean I totally agree with his decision to write about contemporary world since "Earth is the alien planet now" but I don't like how he does it.

I've read the first two books in his Bigend trilogy, Pattern Recognition and Spook Country, and I generally liked them very much. Folks aren't as down with Spook Country, which takes it's sweet time telling a story about criminals, couriers, and redemption, but I thought it was just fine and I was very much struck by Pattern Recognition, which is about a style-hunter who is sent on a quest to track down the source of an underground art film. However, Gibson's style is just as important as his ideas here, and if you weren't sold on the excerpts you read I'm not sure how much you'll dig the full on novels. That said, it couldn't hurt to pick up Pattern Recognition and give it a whirl.

FnordChan, who really needs to get around to reading Zero History

51CYKxeIH%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-45,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Liking it quite a bit - duh. Me and a million other readers, right? Cromwell is cool. In Japan, he would have been a ninja.

.JayZii

Banned
Just finished Out by Kirino Matsuo for a class a few days ago. I've never really read crime fiction, but I thought it was a fun read.

I can't vouch for these myself, but my roommate is a great fan of Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger novels, which are loosely based on Hathcock. The first novel in the series is Point of Impact, which was adapted a few years ago as the flick Shooter with Marky Mark as Swagger. That sounds like it'll be right up your alley.

Being delivered to my Kindle now. Sounds awesome. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dresden

Finished The Ice Guards, one of those WH40K novels. First one I read that wasn't by Abnett. Didn't dig it much, but at least it was a quick read. The part where the human dude has a sword battle with a chaos space marine and walks away was kinda eh, though.

Started Fatal Alliance (a Star Wars novel) by Sean Williams. I think I got suckered in by the 'Old Republic' tag which promised a break from what is presumably a convoluted mess of the post-movie canon.

It's enjoyable. It's like I'm reading a game doc. In the beginning there's a young Jedi (or a wannabe-Jedi, a padawan) facing down the Jedi Council and I could see the Renegade/Paragon options hanging in the air like neon signs with wings - "I accept your wisdom, master" vs. (random jackass reply). Then he goes out and recruits a young female trooper.

Heel

So uh, I thought Neuromancer was...okay. Am I a bad person? I realize it's a seminal work in the cyberpunk genre, but it just didn't grip me.

I guess it's time to take a break from sci-fi. But when I come back, which should I read?

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolf

NekoFever

I've been reading a lot of sci-fi and fantasy recently so I fancied a bit of history for a change. Grabbed this...

7oXj1.jpg

Good so far but I'm still in the minutiae of Operation Barbarossa and haven't even reached Stalingrad yet.

Question for you fine, reading folks - how do you find out about new books? And I'm talking new new .. like released in the past month or two .. or even coming up within the next month.

Question for you fine, reading folks - how do you find out about new books? And I'm talking new new .. like released in the past month or two .. or even coming up within the next month.

The last brand new book I purchased was Deathly Hallows - I rarely ever buy a brand new book. In fact, I rarely ever read anything by a living author. I generally wait for a book to be recommended, which is probably the reason I'm not reading brand new books.

I have started trying to get ARCs for review, so maybe that will get me to read some newer stuff.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

http://www.locusmag.com/ lists all new books in the SF, fantasy & horror genre. Locus magazine (also available digitally now) has an "upcoming books' section every three months that's *HUGE*. It lists every single release from every single publisher in the field, both large and small, new or reprint. US and UK.

Fintan

I've been reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

life-of-pi2.jpg

I'm about 100 pages in and I'm really enjoying. Pi is a fascinating character and the writing style gets in your head straight away. Pi feels very real and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Also, I just signed for an Audible account and I have one book credit per month. Anybody have any audiobook recommendations?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I've been reading Life of Pi by Yann Martel.

life-of-pi2.jpg

I'm about 100 pages in and I'm really enjoying. Pi is a fascinating character and the writing style gets in your head straight away. Pi feels very real and I'm looking forward to finishing it.

Also, I just signed for an Audible account and I have one book credit per month. Anybody have any audiobook recommendations?

I've only had time to read this during my work breaks so I'm at page 210 or something despite starting it over a week ago, but I'm enjoying the book quite a bit.

http://www.locusmag.com/ lists all new books in the SF, fantasy & horror genre. Locus magazine (also available digitally now) has an "upcoming books' section every three months that's *HUGE*. It lists every single release from every single publisher in the field, both large and small, new or reprint. US and UK.

Nice! This is just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Sleepy

Just commenting on the Bigend Trilogy from Gibson:

Pattern Recognition (Read three times)- One of my favorite books...nice balance between story and style.

Spook Country (Read twice)- I dug it, but I did find some of the storylines a bit dull, until they all converged.

Zero History (read once)- Didn't really like this one, until the reveal...and then I thought it was genius.

I have read the Sprawl trilogy, but I skipped the Bridge trilogy. I figure I will get to it when I have the time.

Mumei

I finished Blankets and The Ancestor's Tale. The Ancestor's Tale was a bit less interesting in the last quarter, I think. A friend said it was one of his least favorite of Dawkins' books, and that his favorite was The Blind Watchmaker, so I'll probably try that the next time I go back to Dawkins.

Yeah I read the McClellan version as well. If you get around to the McKinney translation I'd be curious what you think about it. I was happy to see this version of Sanshiro was translated by Jay Rubin, as I loved Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

Of course!

I coded up a New Release email for Goodreads. If you're subscribed you get a monthly email toward the first two weeks of the month with reminders of new books by authors you've read as well as popular new books in each genre.

Mostly, I find out about new books through here and by looking at what's on my co-worker's desk because she gets a ton of newly released books from the publishers.

W1SSY

endersgame.jpg

Just read it for the second time and enjoyed it as much as the first. Wasn't a huge fan of the Valentine and Peter stuff in the middle but it was short and important to the overall story.

I think I may read Anathem by Neal Stephenson next or go back to The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.

Edit: I just realized Enders Game was discussed so I need to read up on the thread a little more.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
endersgame.jpg

Just read it for the second time and enjoyed it as much as the first. Wasn't a huge fan of the Valentine and Peter stuff in the middle but it was short and important to the overall story.

I think I may read Anathem by Neal Stephenson next or go back to The Saxon Stories by Bernard Cornwell.

Edit: I just realized Enders Game was discussed so I need to read up on the thread a little more.

Just finished it for the first time and absolutely loved it. Amazingly entertaining book, and I really enjoyed the Locke/Demosthenes storyline.

Fintan

Alright I settled on the David Copperfield audiobook. I haven't listened to a lot so far but the narrator is really good.

I just finished Ender's Game for the first time, and The Hunger Games before that. I think I want to read some more spacey-wacey stuff for my next book. It annoys me that 2001: A Space Odyssey is not in a real ebook and the ebook version of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a re-write.

Can anyone give me some recommendations? Kindle format preferable.

On Ender's Game
It surprised me how the Peter stuff ended up. I understand it was necessary, but it was very anticlimactic. Clearly he was only there for the contrast or lack of contrast to Ender.

Kosh

I just finished Ender's Game for the first time, and The Hunger Games before that. I think I want to read some more spacey-wacey stuff for my next book. It annoys me that 2001: A Space Odyssey is not in a real ebook and the ebook version of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a re-write.

On Ender's Game
It surprised me how the Peter stuff ended up. I understand it was necessary, but it was very anticlimactic. Clearly he was only there for the contrast or lack of contrast to Ender.

I don't think this version is a re-write, but I could be wrong. The reviews say so, but they are talking of the paperback version. amazon puts reviews for all versions together.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SEGTI0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tapiozona

Banned

On Ender's Game

Hyperion (a MUST read series. Endymion is better than Hyperion..yes, I said it)

Foundation. (all 3 books)

Forever War

Mumei

On Ender's Game

Vorkosigan Saga is good space opera fun.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I finished Life of Pi and am now reading this:

e8lrt.jpg

I plan on reading Rubicon afterwards, although I may read something else inbetween.

Vorkosigan Saga is good space opera fun.
Wow, this stuff looks good! There's only a few books in Kindle format though and it seems the order of the books is a bit weird.

Thanks for the recommendations, I added them to my wish list.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wow, this stuff looks good! There's only a few books in Kindle format though and it seems the order of the books is a bit weird.

You can get every Vorkosigan eBook, for free and legally, HERE.

FnordChan

The Vorkosigan series is top notch and I enthusiastically second the recommendation. Here's a quick guide to the reading order, with the short version being to start with the omnibus Cordelia's Honor. And, as mentioned, free legal coppies of the entire series are available. Enjoy!

FnordChan

Top Bottom