• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2012)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
currently on A Feast for Crows and because I'm independently trying to finish 50 books this year (currently on book 7 & 8 right now) I'm also on House of Leaves and re-reading The Great Gatsby (it's been since high school I've read it).

Currently going through a Harry Potter marathon (lol).

But right now I'm the middle of
515g0ypFAlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and I plan to re-read
lotr-e1262112842992-256x300.jpg

Yes I do have that exact edition

Does anyone have any recommendations for good books on or tangentially related to the subject of flight? Fiction and nonfiction are fine, but for this I prefer the essay/memoir format - my two favorites are Wind, Sand and Stars by Antoine de Saint-Exupery and West with the Night by Beryl Markham.

There's a young adult book by Eoin Colfer called Airman that has non-traditional (one man flying machine) flight as a theme. I like to think of it as a less intense kids version of the Count of Monte Cristo. I'm not sure if that's anything like what you are looking for, but I had a lot of fun when I read it.

Mastadon

Banned
Finished 11.22.63. Despite the drag in the middle, I thought it was pretty good. The pay-off was worth it in the end.

I'm now reading:

a8NJs.jpg

with dashes of

03syY.jpg

to keep me sane.

ultron87

200px-TheBlackPrism_cover.jpg

Halfway through The Black Prism now. I was feeling really cold on it till about 1/3 of the way through where you get some information that makes one of the characters infinitely more interesting.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dabbling back into the world of books (maybe)...

...at the recommendation of my cousin, I've finally started going through this book:

ScreenShot2012-02-06at90821AM.png

I'd read the first chapter a few months ago and stopped, but decided to pick it back up and ended up getting sucked in and now I'm about halfway through.

Only really reading for an hour a day, half hour each way on the train...but I can get at least one chapter done per train ride so I'm making my way through. My style of reading has always been slower and deliberate. Trying to craft the visuals in my head. Trying to read dialogue at the pace and structure as if it were a movie.

Maybe everyone does this and I'm just slow at it, but I feel like the pace at which I read makes me enjoy the stories more...and if I find myself skimming paragraphs for interesting content I know that I'm not really enjoying the book. This one has been pretty damn solid the entire way thus-far.

Characters are interesting. World is interesting. Plot is taking shape nicely. All good so far!

Once I get through with this I'll need to decide if I pick up the Dark Tower series again or if I keep plowing through this series.

Glaurungr

Going through a few different books right now:

• Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman
  • On War by Carl von Clausewitz
  • The Cambridge Illustrated Atlas of Warfare: The Middle Ages, 768-1487 by Nicholas Hooper and Matthew Bennett
  • Warrior: A Visual History of the Fighting Man by R. G. Grant

Dabbling back into the world of books (maybe)...

...at the recommendation of my cousin, I've finally started going through this book:

ScreenShot2012-02-06at90821AM.png

I'd read the first chapter a few months ago and stopped, but decided to pick it back up and ended up getting sucked in and now I'm about halfway through.

Only really reading for an hour a day, half hour each way on the train...but I can get at least one chapter done per train ride so I'm making my way through. My style of reading has always been slower and deliberate. Trying to craft the visuals in my head. Trying to read dialogue at the pace and structure as if it were a movie.

Maybe everyone does this and I'm just slow at it, but I feel like the pace at which I read makes me enjoy the stories more...and if I find myself skimming paragraphs for interesting content I know that I'm not really enjoying the book. This one has been pretty damn solid the entire way thus-far.

Characters are interesting. World is interesting. Plot is taking shape nicely. All good so far!

Once I get through with this I'll need to decide if I pick up the Dark Tower series again or if I keep plowing through this series.

I really enjoyed the rest of the Mistborn series, I'd advise that you keep reading

hamchan

I really enjoyed the rest of the Mistborn series, I'd advise that you keep reading
Indeed. Actually, everything of Brandon Sanderson is pretty darn good so everyone should read through his whole works. He's a beast too and writes 1-2 epic sized books a year. He's also on the Writing Excuses podcast which is great for aspiring writers or anyone who just wants to know how authors think.

One of my favorite new fantasy authors, I'm such a fanboy of him.

Bentles

I'm reading manga :'(

Started a bunch of books and failed to get anywhere past half way. I await Robin Hobb's next book to rekindle my interest in reading. Only she can save me now.

Finally getting around to House of Leaves.

Have no clue what to expect.

Started reading this book this weekend and twice I reached a point where I wanted to burn it with fire. At other times it clicks, but you have to navigate through, what seems, an excessive amount of self-indulgence from the author. There are entire passages that make no sense whatsoever, and you go back and re-read them a couple of times only to find in the foot note of a later page the narrator saying "That doesn't make sense." Really? I'm going to get through it, but so far I'm not impressed.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν

Aye, was planning on completing the series of books (assuming this one continues being as good as it has been). My cousin couldn't say enough good things about the series and the author in general so it seems safe to think that I'll end up enjoying everything.

I just finished Ender's Game for the first time, and The Hunger Games before that. I think I want to read some more spacey-wacey stuff for my next book. It annoys me that 2001: A Space Odyssey is not in a real ebook and the ebook version of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a re-write.

Can anyone give me some recommendations? Kindle format preferable.

On Ender's Game
It surprised me how the Peter stuff ended up. I understand it was necessary, but it was very anticlimactic. Clearly he was only there for the contrast or lack of contrast to Ender.

The Commonwealth Saga by Hamilton - Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained

Bazza

Currently going through a Harry Potter marathon (lol).

But right now I'm the middle of
515g0ypFAlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yes I do have that exact edition

On the 2nd part of that book now about half way through, its left me speechless so to speak, I am still going over some of the things i read last night today at work.

Alucard

Banned
tandelion_wine.jpg

Bradbury is a romantic, and he paints verdant images of summer in a 1928 America that likely only exists in people's imaginations. Rivers, jacks, new running shoes, the sound of a lawn mower, adventure around every corner for young boys; it's all here. The structure is interesting, as it's basically a collection of short stories that are all linked together, since they take place in the same fictional American town.

Alucard

Banned
Would you mind telling a bit more about this. Been wondering if I should get this or not for a while now.

It's wonderfully drawn, and told in a very raw way. It follow's Thompson's relationship with his brother, girlfriend, and God. I wasn't expecting so much exploration of faith, but there it is.

It's a wonderful graphic novel. It doesn't wrap up neatly, and you will probably have questions when you finish it, but you'll be so wrapped up in its naked humanity that you'll forgive those things.

Mumei

Would you mind telling a bit more about this. Been wondering if I should get this or not for a while now.

I'm not really good at summarizing without giving everything away, and luckily I don't have to, because Alucard did a great job!

It really is beautifully told. His openness about events that were painful or embarrassing is great.

I just started going through the Dune series again, with an intent to finish them (got distracted after Children of Dune last year by Wise Man's Fear (Patrick Rothfuss), and then A Dance With Dragons (George R.R. Martin)), and I am now halfway through Children again.

Great books, and I don't intend on getting distracted away from them again. Just hope the last three books can keep the same calibre of the first three. These are easily the best sci-fi books I have ever read, and I think they could be considered on the same level as Tolkien for the sheer depth of the world it takes place in.

Once I am done with this series, I am probably going to pick up The Hunger Games and give them a read through, I've been hearing lots of good things about them and I intend to watch the movie as well.

Indeed. Actually, everything of Brandon Sanderson is pretty darn good so everyone should read through his whole works. He's a beast too and writes 1-2 epic sized books a year. He's also on the Writing Excuses podcast which is great for aspiring writers or anyone who just wants to know how authors think.

One of my favorite new fantasy authors, I'm such a fanboy of him.

Have you read The Allomancy of Law yet? I think it came out fairly recently and it's set a few hundred years after the Mistborn Trilogy. It wasn't quite as good imo but it was still extremely enjoyable, and has some promise.

Since we're on Sanderson, has anyone read The Way of Kings? I've been on a bit of a sci fi kick recently but I might pick it up next if it's any good

ultron87

Since we're on Sanderson, has anyone read The Way of Kings? I've been on a bit of a sci fi kick recently but I might pick it up next if it's any good

I absolutely adored Way of Kings. It takes a bit to get going but once it does it is super great. The magic system is a bit too much like Allomancy from the Mistborn books (in that it involves a lot of pushing and pulling) but beyond that the world is super interesting and there are plenty of exciting moments. And the climax of the book is incredible.

Normally, I'd be wary of getting involved in a planned 10 book series where only the first book is published, but, as was mentioned earlier, Sanderson is a writing machine.

I absolutely adored Way of Kings. It takes a bit to get going but once it does it is super great. The magic system is a bit too much like Allomancy from the Mistborn books (in that it involves a lot of pushing and pulling) but beyond that the world is super interesting and there are plenty of exciting moments. And the climax of the book is incredible.

Normally, I'd be wary of getting involved in a planned 10 book series where only the first book is published, but, as was mentioned earlier, Sanderson is a writing machine.

Well I was going to pick it up eventually but now I might pick it up tonight haha...the book looks pretty dense, hopefully it takes me a little while to get through. I haven't really read a book over a long period of time in awhile (the last time being A Dance With Dragons), so this sounds perfect

Once I am done with this series, I am probably going to pick up The Hunger Games and give them a read through, I've been hearing lots of good things about them and I intend to watch the movie as well.
Have you read Battle Royale? The Hunger Games was pretty good but seemed a little too "young adult", Battle Royale is a little more intense and violent. I'd check it out after you're done

Nezumi

It's wonderfully drawn, and told in a very raw way. It follow's Thompson's relationship with his brother, girlfriend, and God. I wasn't expecting so much exploration of faith, but there it is.

It's a wonderful graphic novel. It doesn't wrap up neatly, and you will probably have questions when you finish it, but you'll be so wrapped up in its naked humanity that you'll forgive those things.

Sounds quite interesting. And being a Lost fan I'm OK with having questions after an ending.

I'm not really good at summarizing without giving everything away, and luckily I don't have to, because Alucard did a great job!

It really is beautifully told. His openness about events that were painful or embarrassing is great.

Thank you!

Oh and here is my list for this month:

jingo-2.jpg

Finally bought Snuff but started re-reading all the other City Watch books before I start it.

4101250219.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Well I probably won't finish this this month, since I think it is rather difficult Japanese. At least compared with Murakami Haruki who I find quite pleasant to read in Japanese. This however, though the story is really interesting and intriguingly weird, is turning out to be a rather pain in the a** languagewise

61-nKh%2Bt-KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not actually reading but listening. Like the first book it started out a bit slow but is getting better and better. I can already see myself running around with headphones all the time because I just can't stop listening.

1.jpg

Bought this for a class once and never read it. But since I need to get better at Dutch till summer, if I don't want to mess up my final Dutch exam again, I thought I give it another shot... it is kind of depressing... actually I have the feeling must Dutch-books are. Maybe someone can suggest some books in Dutch that aren't about the second-world-war or dead relatives (or both).

Manik

Just finished -

The+Dream+of+Perpetual+Motion.jpg

and

41Pi2ucQZ5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

and have now moved on to

cover_uk.jpg

In paperback

and

home-fires1.jpg

on my phone, for lunch break at work.

Only just started the two above and so far so good! Both off to rather promising starts. Fingers crossed it continues.

Az987

all good things
Does anyone have a recommendation for a book about snipers? The guy that was on Conan last night has me interested but from the reviews it sounds like his book deals a lot with his personal/domestic life and not his military action. Are the books about Carlos Hathcock any good - White Feather perhaps?

I haven't read White Feather but I did read Marine Sniper: 93 Confirmed Kills when I was like 13 and I loved it. Its also about Carlos Hathcock.

It's not very long but I was pretty hooked. There is also a follow up called Silent Warrior: The Marine Sniper's Vietnam Story Continues which I haven't read. They were both written by Charles Henderson.

Mastadon

Banned
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start with reading Hemingway?
In Our Time is a great place to start. It's a collection of great short stories and will ease you in nicely. In terms of novels, you can't go wrong with The Sun Always Rises or For Whom The Bell Tolls.

rac

Banned
Well the last book I read was shogun a while back and I want to get started with a new book. After seeing the cover of Hard-Boiled Wonderland on the last page I'm really interested in reading something by Haruki Murakami. Or I can join in on the Feb book club and read 2666. So gaf what should I do?

Mastadon

Banned
Well the last book I read was shogun a while back and I want to get started with a new book. After seeing the cover of Hard-Boiled Wonderland on the last page I'm really interested in reading something by Haruki Murakami. Or I can join in on the Feb book club and read 2666. So gaf what should I do?
Do 2666. I've just started it, and it's pretty interesting so far.

Ashes

Banned
Does anyone have any recommendations on where to start with reading Hemingway?

I had this mad cap idea that I'm going to follow through:

February is short, so my nominations are for 4 short novels (1 per week) + Catch 22 for those who have not finished it.

The short novels are as follows:

1, The old man and the sea - Ernest Hemingway
2, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
3, Candide by Voltaire
4, The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

So this is just a more challenging alternative for those that want to take up a better reading habit.

The Old Man and the Sea is thoroughly recommended. It won him the Pullitzer and helped him to gain a Nobel Prize. It was also one of his last novels, if not his last published work.

Do 2666. I've just started it, and it's pretty interesting so far.

You are in luck. The book club thread is reading that book this month.

GAF Book Club (Feb 2012) - "2666" by Roberto Bolaño

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is my favorite Murakami, with Kafka on the Shore following close behind. Either of those are a great choices.

Igladius

Neo Member
On the 2nd part of that book now about half way through, its left me speechless so to speak, I am still going over some of the things i read last night today at work.

I'm a little over 700 words into 'A Feast for Crows'

I love this series! I bought 'A Dance with Dragons' a couple days ago just to get it ready. Don't like its only in hardbound, though.

Fintan

I had this mad cap idea that I'm going to follow through:

The Old Man and the Sea is thoroughly recommended. It won him the Pullitzer and helped him to gain a Nobel Prize. It was also one of his last novels, if not his last published work.

You are in luck. The book club thread is reading that book this month.

GAF Book Club (Feb 2012) - "2666" by Roberto Bolaño

That 4 short novel read could be fun. I have copies of 3 out of 4 but have only read one. Is that this month's book club?

Ashes

Banned
That 4 short novel read could be fun. I have copies of 3 out of 4 but have only read one. Is that this month's book club?

The 4 novel thing was my nomination. But everyone on gaf either chose one or had read one. :p

Tim went with his own choice. Link is in the edited post above.

You are free to follow me into madness or descend into the thousand pages of this month's book of the month. Both are challenges worth taking up. :p

Ashes

Banned
I suppose I should post that I am tomorrow going to read the first of the 4 books above. ;)

the20old20man20and20the20sea.jpg

It's less than a hundred pages. I've read it already once before, in the latter half of 2011, if I recall, and it's a great book.

hamchan

Have you read The Allomancy of Law yet? I think it came out fairly recently and it's set a few hundred years after the Mistborn Trilogy. It wasn't quite as good imo but it was still extremely enjoyable, and has some promise.

Yep, Alloy of Law was a bit rough compared to main trilogy but I still loved it. The ways allomancy affects new technology like guns, and how previously useless metals are now valuable, I think Sanderson is extremely clever in the way he approached it.

Also I have read The Way of Kings. Starts off slow but slowly ramps up throughout the book. Love the world and the characters. I can't wait to read the next 9 books.

WeNeedToTalkAboutKevin.jpg

We Need to Talk About Kevin is a 2003 novel by Lionel Shriver, published by Serpent's Tail, about a fictive school massacre. It is written from the perspective of the killer's mother, Eva Khatchadourian, and documents her attempt to come to terms with her son Kevin and the murders he committed. Although told in the first person as a series of letters from Eva to her husband, the novel's structure also strongly resembles that of a thriller.

really digging so far

Top Bottom