• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2014)

NekoFever

I just started it a few days ago, too. I just went the cheap route and bought the Kindle version, since I didn't know if I'd like it or not. I'm really confused. They keep throwing out so many names of people and places that I can't keep up with who anyone is.

There's a section at the back that tells you who everyone is. It's handy to refer to until you get it straight in your head.

I assume that's in the Kindle edition, at least.

Nymerio

Miller is such a great character!

He really is. I just read the part where he shot
Dresden. I really dislike how Holden is all righteous about it. The man needed killing and it was clear from the way Holden was almost coming around to his way of thinking. Not to mention that Holden should be the last one to throw stones with him broadcasting every damn thing he gets his hands on without regarding the ramifications. I'm really feeling for Miller now. Poor guy.

phoenixyz

He really is. I just read the part where he shot
Dresden. I really dislike how Holden is all righteous about it. The man needed killing and it was clear from the way Holden was almost coming around to his way of thinking. Not to mention that Holden should be the last one to throw stones with him broadcasting every damn thing he gets his hands on without regarding the ramifications. I'm really feeling for Miller now. Poor guy.
Oh man, I really need to continue with the series. I loved that
conflict

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Currently reading

kgvsTrR.jpg

based on recommendations from these threads.

I thought the first few chapters were amusing but not great, but I really really enjoyed chapter 4 (the one that introduces the Wyverary :3). I'm looking forward to reading more.

About 850 pages into A Dance with Dragons, and it seems that things are finally starting to pick up again.

Just finished The Blade Itself last night and started reading A Dance With Dragons. I'm ready to get back into Martin's long winded style, but at the rate I read, I'm sure I won't finish the book till next February.

I hope your comment isn't indicative of an incredibly large and slow plodding middle section.

Reading It right now. About 50% complete, so I should be done sometime this week. I will have to find something shorter to read between the conclusion of It, and the release of Words of Radiance.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I've just finished the collection Dangerous Women, which was talked about quite a bit due to it including a GRRM, ASOIAF-related novella (which was interesting enough, but not nearly as good as his Dunk and Egg stuff).

Overall it was a bit of a letdown, mainly because I was expecting something quite different given the theme of the collection - most stories really didn't seem to fit in with the theme. Still contained a few really good ones though, I thought the Sanderson story in particular was great (and a good fit for the theme too!).

survivor

Banned
Finished reading Tenth of December. Very interesting short story collection and quite brilliant at times. The writing style took me a bit to get used to, but it's pretty damn good. In general the collection was quite strong with only 1-2 stories being more on the boring side. The only other downside is for couple of stories, they sorta just end. I felt like there wasn't any strong conclusion or any resolution at all. But really Saunders is very good at writing some really dark and sometimes funny stories.
mfTem7r.jpg

Also finished reading Welcome to the NHK. It's quite different from the manga which I read ages ago and by that a lot of the story arcs just weren't there like the suicide pact, the pyramid scheme one or the MMO part. Anyway the cynicism of the story really reminded me why I liked the series in the first place. The translation was alright, the writing is more on the simple side, but I'd imagine that might be the case with the original text.

The 2 afterwards written by the author, Takimoto, were probably the most interesting part of the story. I didn't know that a lot of the experiences of living as a shut in were probably derived from his own current life and how after the popularity of the novel he went back to living an aimless life not writing anything new.
MyScW1c.jpg

I'm also still working slowly through Blindness, but it's still hard to keep my reading sessions long given the nature of the story.

Finished Wet Work by Philip Nutman. Fun book with an interesting take on the zombie genre and more than a few things to say about the politics of the early 90s. I definitely liked the idea of a zombie trying to get revenge on the people who killed him, especially when that zombie works for the CIA. Nutman did a great job depicting the world completely falling apart and the futility of maintaining order in such a situation. Out of the zombie novels I've read (which is surprisingly very few) this one is right up there with Brian Keene's The Rising, which I intend to re-read soon.

Up next is:

lightsout1.jpg

I've been reading a lot of super-established writers with pretty serious credentials in the genre, so I thought it was time to test out a new writer. Southard has a couple of books under his belt, and this one is his latest. It's gotten some really strong reviews, so I'm hoping for the best.

Westlo

Currently reading through two novels, hoping to finish them both off before Path of Radiance drops.

944073.jpg

The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie

Just over halfway, I'm liking it but it hasn't entirely grabbed me yet, and some characters are a much more interesting read over others.

45107.jpg

Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb

Otoh this is really clicking with me, I haven't touched The Blade Itself since I started reading this and I'm also halfway through it.

I already have the rest of trilogy for both these series since I ordered them at the same time, I didn't bother to get the additional novels though since I wanted to read these first. I'll definitely be getting the "Tawny Man" trilogy when I order in some more books.

Ratrat

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester.

I'm really enjoying it so far but I kind of hope it doesn't follow The Count of Monte Cristo too closely.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Reading the Garrett novels by Glen Cook, after reading recommendations here.

Only at book 2 at the moment, but I really like them so far. He's like a slightly less moral and badder ass Dresden (yes, I know Garrett predates Dresden). Dunno how I've missed these, since I love the Black Company series.

Nymerio

Reading the Garrett novels by Glen Cook, after reading recommendations here.

Only at book 2 at the moment, but I really like them so far. He's like a slightly less moral and badder ass Dresden (yes, I know Garrett predates Dresden). Dunno how I've missed these, since I love the Black Company series.

Man, these books are so great. More people should read them.

Also, Leviathan Wakes. Holy shit was that good.

Edit: Starting Assassin's Apprentice right now.

51oFuwgA+UL.jpg

KidDork

Still plugging away on The Dragon Reborn, but I did take time to finish this:

Berserk is very much in the vein of REH and The Witcher. A bleak medieval world, with an anti-hero who is just as much a monster as the monsters he fights. Sounds a bit cliche, but I had the feeling that there is more to this series than that, judging by the praise it receives. The first volume did not fill me with fannish glee, but I did appreciate the dark fantasy tone. I'll pick up the next volume. It piqued my interest.

45107.jpg

Otoh this is really clicking with me, I haven't touched The Blade Itself since I started reading this and I'm also halfway through it.

I already have the rest of trilogy for both these series since I ordered them at the same time, I didn't bother to get the additional novels though since I wanted to read these first. I'll definitely be getting the "Tawny Man" trilogy when I order in some more books.

I would recommend you read the Liveship Traders trilogy before you move on to the Tawny Man trilogy. It would be spoilerish to say any more, but it is a fantastic trilogy in its own right set in the same world as the Assasin's book.

Zona

13539173.jpg

I know it's the second book of three,
and I know it's a cliffhanger but my god that was the least satisfying ending I've read in a long time. No real buildup, no real climax just *plop* last page. All the protagonists plans where defeated before he even began them!

Finished:
13538552.jpg

Thanks for the rec, Shane! I liked this a lot. Definitely not as much as The Art of Racing in the Rain, but this was a very poignant book. I was frustrated at certain points with Budo, but I think that's more of a reflection of me (after all, he is an imaginary friend created by a child) and my expectations than of the writer/novel. I read some of the interview questions at the end with the author and was pleased to find that he's a teacher and he didn't label Max's developmental disability on purpose. I liked that a lot.

Now onto:
cold-dish.jpg

I just finished season 2 of Longmire today and loved every second of it. I've heard the books are even better, so I'm really excited to get into this series.

Finished up Blood Song. Wow.. good stuff. Highly recommended to fantasy fans who enjoy Abercrombie, Cook, Martin etc. Loved it.

Now onto Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

ShaneB

Finished:
Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend[IMG]

Thanks for the rec, Shane! I liked this a lot. Definitely not as much as The Art of Racing in the Rain, but this was a very poignant book. I was frustrated at certain points with Budo, but I think that's more of a reflection of me (after all, he is an imaginary friend created by a child) and my expectations than of the writer/novel. I read some of the interview questions at the end with the author and was pleased to find that he's a teacher and he didn't label Max's developmental disability on purpose. I liked that a lot.

Now onto:
[IMG]The Cold Dish

I just finished season 2 of Longmire today and loved every second of it. I've heard the books are even better, so I'm really excited to get into this series.

Glad you liked Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend. Like I mentioned on goodreads, you marathoned it! I'm wondering what your frustrations are with Budo, curious! Spoiler tag as necessary of course. And yeah, I exchanged messages with Matthew Dicks and he's a really friendly person, and a funny blog too.

You've put The Cold Dish on my radar. Never watched Longmire, but the book sounds terrific.

Finished up Blood Song. Wow.. good stuff. Highly recommended to fantasy fans who enjoy Abercrombie, Cook, Martin etc. Loved it.

Now onto Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend.

Same to you, will get around to Blood Song whenever I get an urge to read some Fantasy. And share your thoughts on Memoirs as well!

Piecake

Finished it, and it was excellent. Peter the great is a fascinating person and Massie does an excellent job telling his story, as well as giving context to the period. It was quite interesting learning about Charles the 12th, and the other leading figures that Peter interacted with.

Currently reading this. Not far in, but I am enjoying it so far.

TTG

Count Zero

Is it good? Nueromancer is absolutely one of my all time favorites, but I never so much as looked at the sequels. For bonus credit, how is his other work besides the Sprawl books, looking at something called Blue Ant...

I may need a break from the heavy stuff after finishing Absalom Absalom! This would be a nice change of pace.

on-the-road.jpg

On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Halfway through and really enjoying it. Quick/entertaining read, and I can relate to quite a few situations/moments. However, the first part to me seemed much better, when Sal is on his own. Part 2 when he's finally with a group seems (so far, too soon to say) to be a bit less special.

The writing style is great.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

The writing style is great.

I really need to sit down and read through the entire thing someday. I've read bits and pieces, such as:

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars.”

Is it good? Nueromancer is absolutely one of my all time favorites, but I never so much as looked at the sequels. For bonus credit, how is his other work besides the Sprawl books, looking at something called Blue Ant...

I may need a break from the heavy stuff after finishing Absalom Absalom! This would be a nice change of pace.

Count Zero is excellent too. You'll definitely like it if you loved Neuromancer that much. Reminds me I have to read Mona Lisa Overdrive at some point.

I've read a couple of the Blue Ant books (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country.. I seem to avoid finishing his trilogies). While not as good as the Sprawl books, I just love his particular style so I found them very enjoyable.

Finished A Dance with Dragons last week and decided to stay in the fantasy lane and pick up Gardens of the Moon. I have no idea what's going on. I'm interested in The Black Company too, how do these two series' compare?

Loke13

Currently reading Gardens of the Moon.

I finished up The Blade Itself last week and switched over to this and boy was I not prepared for the tone shift or the amount of information being thrown at you. I'm currently 200 pgs in and I'm liking the story so far I just wish it was a bit more...clearer? There's just a lot of information, characters, and agendas being thrown at you over a very short span of time and I'm hoping it makes a bit more sense as the story goes on.

KidDork

I read the first two books of the Blue Ant trilogy. Pattern Recognition is one of my favourite books of all time. I adored that goddamn book. I didn't mind Spook Country, but it seemed a bit of a letdown after PR.

Some books just hit with you at the right time in your life, and that was Pattern Recognition with me.

TTG

Count Zero is excellent too. You'll definitely like it if you loved Neuromancer that much. Reminds me I have to read Mona Lisa Overdrive at some point.

I've read a couple of the Blue Ant books (Pattern Recognition, Spook Country.. I seem to avoid finishing his trilogies). While not as good as the Sprawl books, I just love his particular style so I found them very enjoyable.

I read the first two books of the Blue Ant trilogy. Pattern Recognition is one of my favourite books of all time. I adored that goddamn book. I didn't mind Spook Country, but it seemed a bit of a letdown after PR.

Some books just hit with you at the right time in your life, and that was Pattern Recognition with me.

Cool, thank you guys. I'll check both of those out.

Dragon

Banned
45107.jpg

Edit: Starting Assassin's Apprentice right now.

51oFuwgA+UL.jpg

I used to absolutely love Hobb. Fitz-Chivalry Farseer is a great character. But just be warned, her main characters are always so tortured and her endings so incredibly bittersweet. I have a hard time rereading because of it. I haven't read any of her new stuff really since that Forest Mage stuff because it became way too much.

Finished Cornwell's Sword Song, the fourth in the Saxon series. Continues to be an enjoyable experience. The formation of the nation of England, amidst the war with the Vikings, is an epic tale. The only criticism I have at this point is that we're stuck in Uhtred's first person perspective. There is so much richness in this history that it feels incomplete hearing only one voice.

Moving on to The Golem and the Jinni.

X-Frame

Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to keep track of book releases?

I've added over 100 books to Goodreads so far, and while a lot of them are already out, I'd really love to be able to see when the books I've added to my To-Read shelf are to be released if their release date has been announced. I'm more likely to read prequel books if I know that a new book would be coming out soon.

List form, calendar form, it doesn't really matter. It's hard to keep track when there are so many. Thanks!

Started reading this earlier this month:
n2609.jpg

It is such a snore. I thought reading a murder/mystery/whatever the fuck might be interesting as a change of pace from my usual Stephen King/Tom Clancy-esque stuff.

I struggled to get through the first 50 or so pages but then it kind of picked up not to the point where I wanted to flip every page but to the point where reading a paragraph was not as painful as the one before it. And now I'm struggling to get through it again a little over halfway through.

I'm thinking about just dropping it and moving on to my next book but I don't want to have to wait 3 months to come back to it. Ugh. Maybe this weekend I can power through it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
200-pages into Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut.. and I'm seriously in love.. pretty much everything I love about Vonnegut tenfold.

Also still re-reading Moby Dick!

Finished It's Fine by Me by Per Petterson

3petterson0930.2.jpg

I recently got bumped to full time at my job and have been adjusting to a new apartment so my reading has been much slower but it feels good to finish a book. Per Petterson is a really amazing writer and I'll probably grab some more of his works later on.

My next book: Wonderful Fool by Shusaku Endo

3253.jpg

Glad to be back to contributing to reading GAF, I didn't want to comment if I wasn't reading. Some of you have some amazing taste/choices in literature! This is one of my favorite threads!

obin_gam

Finished 11/22/63 yesterday and it was really really good!
n1DsK2O.jpg

I think it is the best novel from King I've read since I dont know when, it reads like his hold 70s stuff. It starts out creepy and eire, gets a little slow in the third quarter, but ends fantastically.

The slow part is mainly due to the character of Sadie which I started to hate after a while.
She is ok at the beginning, but then the love story starts to obstruct the main plot and she gets in the way of our adventure. I was all the time rooting for her to just leave damnit!

The ending redeems her though, and what an ending at that.
In the after words it is stated that Joe Hill came up with this ending and I am not surprised at all.
For once, a Stephen King story actually has an ending that is worthy of th set up. Usually he just writes himself into a corner and comes up with stupid endings... or at least boring ones. Not this time though, the ending scene brought tears to my eyes. Real tears. So beautiful.

9/10 So glad King is back in the sadle!

Now I'm gonna try Dr Sleep

Top Bottom