• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2014)

Masenkame

Some novels I read this past month.

“We postmodern plátanos tend to dismiss the Catholic devotion of our viejas as atavistic, an embarrassing throwback to the olden days, but it's exactly at these moments, when all hope has vanished, when the end draws near, that prayer has dominion.” - p.144

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz is indeed wonderful. It's bittersweet and funny as hell, a story about a few generations of a family and the modern Dominican Republic, moving towards Oscar's struggle for respect and love. Living in New Jersey, Oscar is an overweight nerd that can't get any, constantly retreating into his SF and fantasy books. Oscar's trials may be of his own making, or maybe it follows from his mother's unfortunate adventures back on the island, or maybe it goes further back to her father coming into intimate contact with the dictatorship of Trujillo. All this may be part of the fukú, the curse that might be spelling doom for the family, but who knows? Diaz's prose is sublime, conversational and colloquial with mixed in Spanish and Tolkien references, from an unknown narrator that you think is the author but turns out to be someone else.

"One is respected as judged only as a human being. It is an appalling experience." - p.95

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin is an interesting novel about Genly Ai, an envoy sent to the planet Gethen, to try and convince the inhabitants to join a league of planets and civilizations. Gethen is unsettling to Genly, due to the monogender humans that inhabit it, who are asexual for most of the time, until they are in "kemmer", a fertile period of the month during which a person in a coupling can be either a mother or father. The novel is framed as an anthropological study, based on reports by Genly and others, as Genly interacts with people, cultures, and nations of Gethen. Le Guin examines the notions of gender and sexuality and love with this novel, as well as the nature of a cold war and the confusion of a person dealing with the different, in remarkable and mostly terse prose.

“I gathered she was strictly pay-as-you-enter.” - p.28

Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett is a blistering detective novel, where the plot moves so quick you're left wondering where it went, there being so much of it that it can't breathe in a such a short novel. The novel follows an unnamed operative sent to a city named Personville, Poisonville by its residents, to be in the employ of man who is murdered the night he arrives. The detective, after procuring some cash from an unwilling employer, is set on a path of cleansing for a town full of scheming gangsters, crooked cops, and corrupt officials. Partnerships are made and broken within hours, and then made up again, everyone backstabbing and conspiring, yet working together when its beneficial. A lot of alcohol is consumed, much violence is done, and plenty of sleep is lost. Hammett's prose is humorous and so quick and terse yet subtle, and so modern feeling for something written in the late 1920s. The main character is a near nihilistic mess, but thinks himself so damn righteous and that's just great fun.

"Adults follow paths. Children explore." - p.56

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman is a short and sweet novel about childhood, adulthood, and magic, examining their benign or dangerous or oblivious aspects. The novel recounts a childhood memory of a man who has returned to his hometown, and is drawn towards his old house and the house down the lane, which is a bit on the magic side. The bookish young boy is interested by a girl and the family who lives there, and accompanies her on a trip that turn out dangerous for them and the world, and they must fight to keep it whole. It's a decent enough novel, with some good imagery but not all that interesting plot or characters.

---

I'm going to start The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes next.

WorldStar

Banned
Inferno. shut up. Dan Brown is a guilty pleasure, even though the Lost Symbol was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever read and the other books were mediocre at best.

The slow part is mainly due to the character of Sadie which I started to hate after a while.
She is ok at the beginning, but then the love story starts to obstruct the main plot and she gets in the way of our adventure. I was all the time rooting for her to just leave damnit!

Couldn't disagree more. I found nearly all of the parts of the book about Oswald to be pretty boring, and I wish the book had just been about a man going back in time and living there.

Somax

Finished The Fall of Hyperion last week, I liked the development of the timeline hijinks and the explanation of the general storyline, not much the resolution for some characters.

Started The Lies of Locke Lamora, I'm about 200 pages in and I'm charmed by the setting for now. Even if, being an italian myself, many names sound odd to me...
it's like with the stand alone books of the First Law Trilogy, with the infamous mercenary Monza, which happens to be the name of the big city near to my town, with the well known race track. :D

Narag

Inferno. shut up. Dan Brown is a guilty pleasure, even though the Lost Symbol was one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever read and the other books were mediocre at best.

Think a handful of us in here read it when it came out so no worries!

besada

Banned
Just Finished...
QkUkTV7.jpg

Currently Reading...
pWzRkMz.jpg

Next Up...
3ME415b.jpg

anyone have a recommendation for a book that goes over all the stories of the Old Testament and gives analysis and interpretations?

I'm not religious so I would prefer something that's more like a literary analysis than religious viewpoints.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/051734582X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

besada

Banned
I need to read Finch so I can have a good excuse to buy this.

Edit: besada, double-posting? Tsk, tsk.

That's Mr. Mod to you.

You could skip finch and proceed directly to Annihilation. They aren't connected (as far as I know). Of course, then you don't get sweating fungal guns, and hard-boiled mushroom killings. You'd only be punishing yourself.

As an addendum, Annihilation is pretty short. Novella short, almost. Which explains how VanderMeer is managing to put out three volumes this year.

Mumei

That's Mr. Mod to you.

You could skip finch and proceed directly to Annihilation. They aren't connected (as far as I know). Of course, then you don't get sweating fungal guns, and hard-boiled mushroom killings. You'd only be punishing yourself.

As an addendum, Annihilation is pretty short. Novella short, almost. Which explains how VanderMeer is managing to put out three volumes this year.

You could also have merged the two posts instead of that!

And yeah, I know they aren't directly connected... but since the library has Finch, and I have it checked out, I really have little excuse for buying a new book to get my VanderMeer fix. But once I read it...

I finished Latro in the Mist by Wolfe and The Shadow of a Great Rock by Bloom today. Now to focus on gravity's rainbow to hopefully finish this weekend.

Tenrius

So I just finished Catch-22 and it was amazing. Woah. I actually learned about this book from on of these threads, when somebody mentioned that it was on sale. Best $5 I've spent in quite a while!

Finished two books yesterday.

When the Body Says No was fascinating. I'm not fully on board with the theory that emotional states can help cause cancer and rheumatic diseases, but the stories in the book and the studies mentioned does cause one to wonder. Gives me a lot to keep in mind as I prepare for/recover from surgery in a few weeks.

The Cold Dish was great. Very different from the TV series in ways that I wasn't quite expecting. I bought the 4-pack of the first four books in the series and can't wait to start the next one. Walt Longmire is a very charismatic, interesting narrator and the supporting characters are wonderful, particularly Henry Standing Bear (played by Lou Diamond Phillips in the show.) It's amazing how much more character development there was in one book vs. two seasons of a television show. I felt like the murder mystery of the book could be a bit better, but definitely impressed by Craig Johnson's writing.

Next up:

51%2BSF-UBDQL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've already started this and the author is very emotional and angry that psychosomatic/mind-body disorders aren't taken seriously by most medical professionals, so I'm already taking wary about what he has to say.

Just finished:

41E4%2BfttDjL.jpg

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami

I liked Book One, really liked Book Two... and then didn't like Book 3. So much time was spent on
Nutmeg and Cinnamon
, who I really didn't care for, and the focus on Toru's marriage fell aside in favor of vague metaphysical weirdness that I had a real tough time connecting to. It felt like the tone of the book had totally changed. It's a bummer, because I was really into the book before, but by the end it was a total slog.

I'm not sure what to read next. I kinda want to read The Road, but I think I could go for something a little lighter and more plot-focused. But I don't really want to start anything big like The Terror either.

obin_gam

So I read about two chapters into Doctor Sleep and it felt really uninteresting. Will put it on hold for now.

I have read a bunch of Dan Simmons ones, but never "his big one". So, now, it's on to Hyperion.

Couldn't disagree more. I found nearly all of the parts of the book about Oswald to be pretty boring, and I wish the book had just been about a man going back in time and living there.

I see your point. I would gladly have a "slice of life" story instead of a mission-based story. But as the situation were, we got a mission based one and at that, obstacles were annoying.

41EPR2NNWsL._AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-49,22_AA300_SH20_OU15_.jpg

Finished read this, it was on sale @ amazon for $3.99. Really amazing story of survival and getting rescued after so much hardship. The seal is defiantly right wing and he constantly attacks the liberal media, talks about how they should have shot this unarmed goat herders who blew their cover. Parts of it pissed me off but it was good story overall. I recommend it

Jarlaxle

51D9YSTDB9L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

So, I've finally finished the Amber Chronicles. While there were aspects I enjoyed, overall I don't know if I would recommend it to people. It seems a little meandering at times. Some plot lines are wrapped up unsatisfactorily where it seems he has come to the end of the novel and all of the antagonists have a change of heart for not real reason or some other deus ex machine appears to save the day. Other plot lines are just left wholly unresolved which is a tad more forgiving because the author as I understand it planned on writing more before succumbing to cancer. I thought the Merlin stuff started off pretty strong and went in some interesting directions but by the last two books, I was ready to be done with it. A very interesting imaginative world, with a fast paced moving story but not a whole lot of substance behind all of it.

I am eagerly anticipating Words of Radiance and I don't know if I have time to finish another book before it comes out. I have The Heroes sitting here by Joe Abercrombie which I'm looking forward to reading but I don't know if I want to get brought back into that world just to try and rush and finish it. I might just follow the Tor reread of Way of Kings until Words of Radiance comes out. It's only two weeks.

About halfway through:
nine-stories-salinger.jpg

Quite a nice, wispy read to counterpart the lengthy, jagged Latro and the drunken, sexual revelry of Gravity's Rainbow.

Jintor

Read a bunch of stuff over the last week.

Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie T. Chang

A great exploration of the lives of factory girls in China and the changes rolling in at the individual level thanks to migration, economic boom etc, as well as a slightly less focused biography of the author's family. Fantastic example of long-term journalism (over several years, I believe).

On Basilisk Station by David Weber

Was pretty fun, thanks for the recommend. A little too much politics and space jargon but the actual battles were fucking insssssannnnnnnne

Learning to Bow: Inside the Heart of Japan by Bruce Feiler

Kinda crappy to be a honest, a lot of assuming based on single examples, weird takes on cultural relativism and conclusions drawn from living in Japan only for a year. Not out and out crazy though.

I also read two Sherlock Holmes books (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, The Valley of Fear) and Batman: Year One, which I'd read before. Next is struggling onwards through Moby Dick (not enjoying it terribly so), and... hmmm... might read that Atom Bomb kindle thingy that was on sale a while back that I picked up.

Read a bunch of stuff over the last week.

Factory Girls: From Village to City in a Changing China by Leslie T. Chang

A great exploration of the lives of factory girls in China and the changes rolling in at the individual level thanks to migration, economic boom etc, as well as a slightly less focused biography of the author's family. Fantastic example of long-term journalism (over several years, I believe).

I read this a few years ago and liked it as well. It definitely opened my eyes to things we often don't think about when we demonize western companies that open factories in China.

Jintor

I've only read The Hound of the Baskervilles. How do the ones you read compare?

Hound of the Baskervilles is probably my favourite one that is entirely taken by Holmsian deduction. I actually liked Valley of Death more, but that's kind of because Doyle starts up an entire second story in the middle of it that is really quite interesting and a departure from the standard Holmes-does-a-thing thing.

The others are mostly just short story collections which are entertaining but not terribly complex, apart from A Study in Scarlet and whatever the second novel was which I can't recall at this moment.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Hound of the Baskervilles is probably my favourite one that is entirely taken by Holmsian deduction. I actually liked Valley of Death more, but that's kind of because Doyle starts up an entire second story in the middle of it that is really quite interesting and a departure from the standard Holmes-does-a-thing thing.

The others are mostly just short story collections which are entertaining but not terribly complex, apart from A Study in Scarlet and whatever the second novel was which I can't recall at this moment.

Sign of the Four is the second novel iirc.

I haven't seen True Detectives yet, but I saw the book mentioned somewhere online in relation to the show. I was actually going to watch my first episode tonight.

You're going to get hooked. It's like Heroin...only without the total obsess...no, it's pretty much like heroin.

ShaneB

Finished It's Fine by Me by Per Petterson

I recently got bumped to full time at my job and have been adjusting to a new apartment so my reading has been much slower but it feels good to finish a book. Per Petterson is a really amazing writer and I'll probably grab some more of his works later on.

Just quoting this because the book I started to read is indeed Per Petterson. Was the kindle daily not long ago, and fits within my range of these mid 1900's coming of age stories that I can't get enough of right now

Now Reading...
Per Petterson - Out Stealing Horses Couple chapters in and liking it a bunch so far.
398323.jpg

Drake

Anyone else every go through a bad case of reading burnout? About 4 years ago a co-worker of mine suggest I read ASOIAF. This series re-kindled my love for reading. I've read a book every week to week and half for the last 4 years. Since the beginning of this year I've lost all motivation to read. I don't know why either. Maybe I overdid it. I really want to re-read the Way of Kings before Words of Radiance comes out, but I just can't find the motivation to pick up a book right now.

How do I break out of this funk?

Mumei

Anyone else every go through a bad case of reading burnout? About 4 years ago a co-worker of mine suggest I read ASOIAF. This series re-kindled my love for reading. I've read a book every week to week and half for the last 4 years. Since the beginning of this year I've lost all motivation to read. I don't know why either. Maybe I overdid it. I really want to re-read the Way of Kings before Words of Radiance comes out, but I just can't find the motivation to pick up a book right now.

Read The Count of Monte Cristo and join Goodreads.

Worked for me.

Piecake

read something completely different like non-fiction or a different genre of fiction.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Stop reading medieval fantasy encyclopedias and read something small, self contained and fun.

Anyone else every go through a bad case of reading burnout? About 4 years ago a co-worker of mine suggest I read ASOIAF. This series re-kindled my love for reading. Since the beginning of this year I've lost all motivation to read. I don't know why either. Maybe I overdid it. I really want to re-read the Way of Kings before Words of Radiance comes out, but I just can't find the motivation to pick up a book right now.

Short stuff. Magazine articles. Take a little time off. I've been burned out on reading before. It'll come back but sometimes your brain needs a rest or a different format.

Linkhero1

As someone who had no motivation to read during school and after graduating college, I can tell you that trying out different genres of material helped. I found something I liked in a genre I didn't think I liked. I also looked up material on goodread.

Drake

Maybe I'll try reading Catcher in the Rye. I've always wanted to read that book and it's so far removed from what I normally read. I know it's not a very long book either.

Jintor

Short stories are my faves. I get bogged down in these long reads and it saps my motivation to read anything.

I've been trying to read the Bible for almost 2+ years and I'm not even up to the bloody new testament yet. I actually forgot where I stopped...

Short stories are my faves. I get bogged down in these long reads and it saps my motivation to read anything.

I've been trying to read the Bible for almost 2+ years and I'm not even up to the bloody new testament yet. I actually forgot where I stopped...

If you read it in Chronological order it's gonna kill you everytime. I recommend starting new testament, (gospels), maybe read the Ecclesiastes, the book of Job, then the books of the prophet (assuming you've read Genesis and Exodus already), and kinda just keep bouncing around. See if that helps.

Actually, True Detective borrows elements from it, maybe not copies it, but from what I've read from online articles it definitely was an influence

Oh cool. Will definitely check it out at some point.

I haven't seen True Detectives yet, but I saw the book mentioned somewhere online in relation to the show. I was actually going to watch my first episode tonight.

Like Dodge said it's pretty amazing and addictive. I find myself waiting all week for Sunday to come so I can get my fix.

I tend to burnout and take a break from time to time. Sometimes it helps me to pick up a short story or anthology collection. Or just to veg out on TV and movies and games for a little bit and then I'll start getting the itch again.

Any impressions on this?

read the sypnosis and it sounds like something I might like... a lot.

Mixed reviews around here. I loved it, but it is a bit dry at times. If you're looking for a good castaway on mars story tho, it hits that note pretty well.

Any impressions on this?

91c4ZDFCn1L._SL1500_.jpg

read the sypnosis and it sounds like something I might like... a lot.

Its interesting and unique but its very hard sci-fi. It gets into real minutia of physics and biology. Almost reads like a text book with a bit of a story mixed in. But I'm still glad I read it.

Top Bottom