• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

mjc

icarus-daedelus said:
It is, but aren't there already dedicated comic book threads? Comics and literature are not really the same medium.

I don't think its fair to discount graphic novels or collected comics in reading threads like this. The thread is called "What are you reading?", not "What literature and novels are you reading?". I'm more interested in why this bothers you so much, to be frank.

dude

dude
Gigglepoo said:
My friends keep making fun of me for reading this. I think it's great. I read it about 7 or so years ago and loved it then, and it's just as good the second time around. Makes me want to study architecture and dye my hair red.
Why would your friends make fun of you? Because of the author?
I don't think I'll be able to read it again...

Kola

41KYMGC3V1L.jpg

Kola

Magicked said:
Has anyone subscribed to the Library of America (http://loa.org) collection? I got my first set today and they are incredible books. The construction quality blows my mind, and despite being 1000+ pages they feel great in my hands.

I got the Mark Twain set to start with:

I think this is an interesting concept. I do like the LOA, have a bunch of those here. They are also quiet cheap if you're from a Euro state but I wonder how that subscription works.

How is the order of books chosen by The Library of America?
At first subscribers will receive some of the most popular books from our list and then a combination of recently published titles and older titles to fill in their collections.

Does that mean, I can't choose which books to get? It does also not seem like I just get the newest edition (as one may think when you "subscribe to something). Is it only possible to get random editions (if I do not decide to send them back)?

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I kind of like the boxed editions, if they're nice, etc. but you pay such a premium being in these clubs. I don't know what the 2nd hand market is like for them right now, but back in the day they were sort of a subsidy press.

It's nice that people read them though, they also were very popular for people to buy in order to decorate houses or "libraries" haha.

bengraven

Tim the Wiz said:
The book has sizable differences from the recent film adaption, and, surprisingly (given how this usually goes), I would say the adaption eclipses it. That is not to say that it isn't a decidedly more than decent dystopia, but the idea is the thing that really grabs and effects you in the novel - more so than its never-astounding characterization and plot. And thus, if you've already been exposed to the film, I would argue the impact of the tale becomes diminished by quite a measure - different ending and all. Certainly still worth the read, though.

From what I've read on Wikipedia, the book is almost completely different in most ways than the film, sharing only names and a very basic concept.

The film seems a lot darker and more focused on anti-immigration paranoia while the book is pro-religion paranoia.

Locke562

Musashi Wins! said:
I kind of like the boxed editions, if they're nice, etc. but you pay such a premium being in these clubs. I don't know what the 2nd hand market is like for them right now, but back in the day they were sort of a subsidy press.

It's nice that people read them though, they also were very popular for people to buy in order to decorate houses or "libraries" haha.

You can buy copies of Library of America books for cheaper than they sell them when you belong to their club if you get them from Amazon. I already own two Philip K. Dick collections, The Collected Stories of Raymond Carver, and the Jack London collection. You can get them for $20-26 depending.

bengraven

Musashi Wins! said:

Funny you should mention that. I have some beautiful bookshelves in my home - very classy - and seeing my book collection up there is slightly embarassing. It's like taking fancy china and emptying a bag of Skittles on the plates.

Magicked

Kola said:
I think this is an interesting concept. I do like the LOA, have a bunch of those here. They are also quiet cheap if you're from a Euro state but I wonder how that subscription works.

Does that mean, I can't choose which books to get? It does also not seem like I just get the newest edition (as one may think when you "subscribe to something). Is it only possible to get random editions (if I do not decide to send them back)?

Basically you are given a list of all their books and you can mark each book as "Send" or "Do Not Send". They select a book from your send list every 2 months and send it to you for $26. You can either choose to keep it or send it back and receive a different one at no cost (they pay for shipping).

So basically I'm only going to mark the books I really want as "Send", and everything else will be "Do Not Send". There are a lot of good books available, so it really won't matter to me which order I receive them.

I think twice a year they give you the ability to "fill out your collection" and allow you to order any book you want at the subscription price. Also, I believe you can change the rate at which they send you new books from between 3 weeks and 6 months. So if you want to set it to 6 months, then fill out your collection with whatever you want when they allow it, it's an option.

I'm mainly doing it because I want to have a nice library in my house and having books like these will really look nice. Plus, I want to read them anyway!

Oh, and one more thing. I got the Twain set for $10 ($5.95 + shipping) as the introductory offer. If I want, I can just cancel now and keep the books anyway. So I'll see how the subscription goes for a while, and if I don't like it I'll just cancel.

Kola

Magicked said:
Basically you are given a list of all their books and you can mark each book as "Send" or "Do Not Send". They select a book from your send list every 2 months and send it to you for $26. You can either choose to keep it or send it back and receive a different one at no cost (they pay for shipping).

So basically I'm only going to mark the books I really want as "Send", and everything else will be "Do Not Send". There are a lot of good books available, so it really won't matter to me which order I receive them.

I think twice a year they give you the ability to "fill out your collection" and allow you to order any book you want at the subscription price. Also, I believe you can change the rate at which they send you new books from between 3 weeks and 6 months. So if you want to set it to 6 months, then fill out your collection with whatever you want when they allow it, it's an option.

I'm mainly doing it because I want to have a nice library in my house and having books like these will really look nice. Plus, I want to read them anyway!

Oh, and one more thing. I got the Twain set for $10 ($5.95 + shipping) as the introductory offer. If I want, I can just cancel now and keep the books anyway. So I'll see how the subscription goes for a while, and if I don't like it I'll just cancel.

Thanks, that sounds quite interesting to me now. I'm really gonna consider taking part in that sort of book club even though I'm from overseas.

Magicked

Kola said:
Thanks, that sounds quite interesting to me now. I'm really gonna consider taking part in that sort of book club even though I'm from overseas.

Yea, I'm not sure how it works outside the US. Hopefully it's still a good deal for you.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
bengraven said:
Funny you should mention that. I have some beautiful bookshelves in my home - very classy - and seeing my book collection up there is slightly embarassing. It's like taking fancy china and emptying a bag of Skittles on the plates.

Perhaps one day it will just be a lonely Kindle on cavernous shelves, haha. I know what you mean though, I was a book dealer for several years and I still avoided nice, collectible editions for oddities or reading copies.

The club sounds fun, I'm sure they look nice on a shelf.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Got my books for my Detective Fiction class today:
IMAG0020.jpg

Looking forward to Hammett, since I always kinda liked that hard-boiled stuff.

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Musashi Wins! said:
Detective Fiction class? What wonderful hippy college do you go to?
Ironically, the University of Calgary, which is about as removed from hippy like as one can get.

The upshot is that, as a final assignment worth the bulk of my grade, I get to write a short piece of detective fiction. This is a godsend when you're in the sciences.

Chorazin

Skittleguy said:
Ironically, the University of Calgary, which is about as removed from hippy like as one can get.

The upshot is that, as a final assignment worth the bulk of my grade, I get to write a short piece of detective fiction. This is a godsend when you're in the sciences.

I had a Banned Books class in college, I love all the weird little genre-specific classes you can take for English credits.

Just went to France for 10 or so days, so I spent a bit more money on books than I'd have liked.

I bought the "Tout Tintin" omnibus, which is badass, and a facsimile of the 1940s publication of "The Secret of the Unicorn"

As for what I'm actually reading, I picked this up, and read 150 or so pages of it on the plane ride back. It's by the author of La Horde du Contrevent, which I saw in one of these threads a long time ago (thank you, whoever posted that, amazing book). It's not quite as good as that (yet?), but I love Damasio's style. Shame the guy doesn't write more.

smu71j.jpg

While we're on the subject of the Library of America, I finally picked up a La Bibliothèque de la Pléiade edition, which was the LoA's inspiration. I don't have a pic, but it's all of Ionesco's plays. A bit more expensive, but worth it. Now I need to restrain myself from buying more books in the series.

Undeux

Finished The Historian and blah... I take back everything good I said. It totally fell apart near the end. It's a great example of a book that could have been fantastic if a really good editor had jumped in.

JSnake

Currently reading:

american-gods.jpg

My first Gaiman book. I'm in love. I love the style of prose in this book. Not to mention the story is really gripping and the characters are really cool and unique from each other. Which Gaiman book should I read after this?

To-do list:

under_the_dome.jpg

Read the first 30 pages or so as a sampler, liked what I read, and picked it up. Not much to really say beyond that. I am looking forward to diving in after I finish American Gods though.

lost%20symbol.jpg

OK I picked this up because of the buzz. I do remember liking The Da Vinci Code so I thought it was a pretty safe purchase. Haven't read beyond the first few pages though.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
JSnake said:
Currently reading:

american-gods.jpg

My first Gaiman book. I'm in love. I love the style of prose in this book. Not to mention the story is really gripping and the characters are really cool and unique from each other. Which Gaiman book should I read after this?

None. This is the only novel he has written that isn't complete eye-rolling tripe.

Chorazin

WanderingWind said:
None. This is the only novel he has written that isn't complete eye-rolling tripe.

Wow, yeah, step away from the keyboard crazy person.

The American Gods "sequel" Anasasi Boys is good, but not as good as American Gods.

The Graveyard Books as been off and on the best seller's list all year, and while I haven't read it that has to mean something.

I really liked Neverwhere a lot.

Good Omens is co-authored with Terry Pratchett and I thought it was pretty bad ass.

Most of his novels are good, but IMO, so far American Gods is the best. Oh, and if you haven't read Sandman you need to get on that ASAP.

Mifune

Mehmber
I had to force myself to finish American Gods.

I haven't liked anything of Gaiman's except for The Sandman. But that series is so good that it forgives his many later sins and adds up to a lifetime free pass from the critics.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Chorazin said:
Wow, yeah, step away from the keyboard crazy person.

The American Gods "sequel" Anasasi Boys is good, but not as good as American Gods.

The Graveyard Books as been off and on the best seller's list all year, and while I haven't read it that has to mean something.

I really liked Neverwhere a lot.

Good Omens is co-authored with Terry Pratchett and I thought it was pretty bad ass.

Most of his novels are good, but IMO, so far American Gods is the best. Oh, and if you haven't read Sandman you need to get on that ASAP.

Anasasi Boys is terrible, Good Omens doesn't really count and I said novels, people. Sandman was a comic (okay, graphic novel)

Gaiman is really hit or miss. Always has been.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
WanderingWind said:
Anasasi Boys is terrible, Good Omens doesn't really count and I said novels, people. Sandman was a comic (okay, graphic novel)

Gaiman is really hit or miss. Always has been.

Because it doesn't help make your point?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Chorazin said:
I had a Banned Books class in college, I love all the weird little genre-specific classes you can take for English credits.

I had Deals with the Devil. At a catholic university (university of San Diego) no less. Though not many people, me included, took the catholic part at all serious.

Xapati

Just finished:
best-cold-final3.jpg

I can definately recommend it. Abercombie does a great job of writing dark fantasy. None of the heroes are black or white and the plot isn't about saving the world from some evil force.

Currently reading this:

61i%2B96mKY8L._SS500_.jpg

I'm not sure I like it yet, the book uses a lot of alien terminology without explaining it beforehand, makes me feel like I'm missing half the plot. I'm sticking with it though because I like the art.

Co-written or not, it counts as Neil Gaiman book.

But seriously his kids books should count too. Coraline and The Graveyard Book are great, especially Graveyard.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
VistraNorrez said:
Co-written or not, it counts as Neil Gaiman book.

But seriously his kids books should count too. Coraline and The Graveyard Book are great, especially Graveyard.

Agreed.

Coraline might be his best book. Or Stardust, though that's not strictly YA.

Chorazin

Xapati said:
Currently reading this:

61i%2B96mKY8L._SS500_.jpg

I'm not sure I like it yet, the book uses a lot of alien terminology without explaining it beforehand, makes me feel like I'm missing half the plot. I'm sticking with it though because I like the art.

I'm guessing you've never read a cyberpunk book before? Most of the words from that are lifted from cyberpunk stapes like Neuromancer and such.

Ghost in the Shell is pretty damn awesome. :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Mifune said:
I had to force myself to finish American Gods.

I haven't liked anything of Gaiman's except for The Sandman. But that series is so good that it forgives his many later sins and adds up to a lifetime free pass from the critics.

I agree, I've been bored by every one of his novels, but I read the Sandman books back in the day and he seems like a nice person haha.

I just got my Kindle today in the mail today, so incredibly awesome as all of you probably know already. My crazy justification for the purchase is due to the fact that my townhouse has limited space and I have zero bookshelf space. Getting a new bookshelf will most likely cost the price of the Kindle itself (I like buying real hand made furniture, not Ikea insert slot A into slot B balsa wood furniture).

Currently reading the Lost Symbol right now.

51jHvD-ZUrL._SS500_.jpg

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
WanderingWind said:

u mad

American Gods isn't even very good by Gaiman's standards.

WanderingWind said:
Because it was co-written? Also, it was dull?

u confirmed mad

Anyway.

Just finished:
André Bjerke - Collected Poems - book 2
Glenn Cooper - Library of the Dead

Working on:
Jostein Gaarder - Sophie's World (boring tosh so far)
W.H. Auden - As I walked out one Evenening

Yet to read:
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun
André Bjerke - Collected Poems - book 1
Eion Coifer - ...And another thing
The last two Twilight books (lol)
Wayne Hammond & Christina Scull - The J.R.R. Tolkien Companion and Guide
Charles Baudelaire - The Flowers of Evil (Oxford Press edition, with the James McGowan translation and the original French texts)

Thinking of ordering:
T.S. Eliot - The Waste Land
T.S. Eliot - Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats

Salazar

Eaten By A Grue said:
I just got my Kindle today in the mail today, so incredibly awesome as all of you probably know already.

http://manybooks.net/

This is a rather handy, neatly categorised aggregator of free e-books.

Kindles are wonderful. I'm currently reading Erikson's 'House of Chains' - reeling though I am from the thundering close to the previous book in the series. Fuck, fuck, fuck me.

peakish

Xapati said:
Have you checked the author notes at the end of the volume? It explains and expands on lots of concepts that are touched on in the story, including terminology. I thought it was fascinating to see how well thought out lots of the techy stuff was, Masamune did lots of research for it and it shows.

bone idle

What a great month for books!

I've got these on the go.

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer
Future Noir by Paul Sammon
Goedel Escher Bach by Douglas Hofstadter
Moondust by Andrew Smith

I recommend heartily.

Nameless

Need some help. A few months back Shawn Elliott recommended a book on Out of the Game about a post apocalyptic United States where vastly different societies spring up in different regions of the country in the wake of the disaster. The name of it escapes me.

Chorazin

Nameless said:
Need some help. A few months back Shawn Elliott recommended a book on Out of the Game about a post apocalyptic United States where vastly different societies spring up in different regions of the country in the wake of the disaster. The name of it escapes me.

The Change Series by S.M. Sirling maybe? Dies the Fire is the first in the series

Alucard

Banned
Time to catch up on reviews. I have read the following in January, so far...

9780689869990.jpg

Sunlight and Shadow by Cameron Dokey

The Review:
Based on a Mozart opera called The Magic Flute, Cameron Dokey's re-imagining is effective young adult fiction with a touch of charm and whimsy. While the book is overly dramatic at times, which I suppose is the point, it is nonetheless entertaining largely as a result of Dokey's structural choices. If you enjoy light-hearted fantasy stories or fairy tales about princes and princesses, this book is a decent bet.

The basic premise is this: Mina is a child of both light and darkness, with her parents being the overseers of the day and the night. On her sixteenth birthday, some incredibly significant event is supposed to occur. Her father abducts his own daughter with the intention of marrying her to a man of his choosing; a long-time apprentice of his. Outside of this plot, the story jumps around to a few other kingdoms where events take place that eventually lead all of the main players to the same place. Oh, and all of them are guided by love and the desire to know their hearts and find their true loves. There are also some magic bells and a flute.

I do not want to spoil everything, but to be honest the story is a bit silly. There seems to be a lack of genuine motivation on the part of Mina's father, and one of his choices late in the book is simply not consistent with the motivations that are clearly visible up to that point. I will simply say he puts his own daughter in a dire situation with her new-found love, when his goal all along was to preserve Mina. To put her in a situation where she could literally die seems unreasonable and just plain stupid. Of course, everything plays out happily in the end, with the power of love trumping all other emotions or logic. People literally fall in love at first sight more than a few times in this book, which make it seem a little hokey. However, I cannot really blame the author for that since she had pre-existing material guiding her.

The most interesting thing about this book is its structure. Every chapter is told through the eyes of a different narrator, which is great if you read the book in large chunks at a time. You get to see the perspectives of the perceived villains as well as the heroes. This gives the book a neat balance and makes sure there is never really a dull moment. The only disappointing thing is that none of the characters really has a distinct voice in the novel, and the writing style generally remains the same for all of them, which is one of syruppy drama. For example:

"I felt a pain so sharp I feared my very bones would splinter and pierce my flesh. This was my father. All my life I had wanted him to know and to love me. The father whom, for all my life, I had wished to know and to love. If he had waited just a few more hours, who is to say what might have been possible between us? But he had not, and so I knew there could be nothing."

Everything is reactionary and laid bare to the point where reason simply does not exist. The only thing that differentiates the narrators is their motivations and locations in time and space. Still, it was nice of the author to attempt to jazz up the adventure in some way.

While I admit the story is charming and whimsical in the way it has no real basis in reality, it is these same traits that slightly distance the reader from the events. Yes, there is certainly humanity, and the first person approach of each chapter ensures a sense of engagement, but any serious reader will likely find themselves not caring much for what happens to these characters because they are in a world where anything is possible. There is never a sense that anything is going to go wrong, and the only real thing to look forward to is discovering who ends up with who. Again, this was originally an opera, so perhaps the point is not in the end results, but in the journey, which is itself an enjoyable one.

The Verdict:
If you have a young daughter and want to get her interested in reading, this might be a good choice. Everyone else will likely approach it with a half-smile for all its fuzzy charm amidst some very safe drama. Fans of The Magic Flute may wish to give this a go, as it does feature some changes in characters' depictions, while offering up a fresh way to re-tell the original tale.

3.5/5

Up Next:
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

Alucard

Banned
tfa.jpg

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

The Review:
Things Fall Apart tells the tale of an African tribesman in Nigeria named Okonkwo, during an unspecified time in the nineteenth or early twentieth century. The story follows the popular strong man's journey from being a model of work ethic and masculinity, to his downfall in the midst of changing ideas within his own community and the arrival of European colonizers. As someone who is largely ignorant of African literature, this book was a very eye opening experience.

While the book largely follows the successes and failures of Okonkwo, it depicts the day-to-day life and culture of an entire group of people in the process. Umuofia is a community of patriarchal laws and customs, with a focus on manhood and strength. Okonkwo conforms to these ideals, and is often found angry when thinking of past times when "men were men," as he sees the weakening of traditional ideals. As a popular wrestler in his village, he has worked incredibly hard to achieve his three wives and titles, as a way of breaking free from the ghost of his lazy father. Tradition, prestige, and hierarchy are all vital to the nine villages the book depicts, and Okonkwo is the picture of old world ideals fighting against the currents of change.

As a straight narrative, the book tracks the rise and fall of a single man, amidst changing cultural attitudes and outside civilizing intruders. It is the world that Achebe paints with such simple and vibrant strokes that really grabbed my attention in the book. With its unapologetic use of Ibo words and phrases throughout, thankfully made understandable through a tidy two page glossary, one of Things Fall Apart's greatest strengths is its ability to transport the reader to this stark-yet-rich time and place, illuminating the supernatural beliefs and practices of people who simply wish to continue existing. There are shocking rituals involving the killing of young children that are simply taken as an appropriate course of action in certain circumstances, and it is these instances that show the disconnect between the perceived civilized and savage opposites.

While the first part of the book does an excellent job of hilighting the culture of Nigeria's people, the second half deals with colonization and the influence of missionaries on this same culture. The classic irony is presented: Christianity is meant to unify people, but it tears sons from fathers and causes massive turmoil and a line of bodies in its wake. As a work of colonization literature, Things Fall Apart is masterful in the way it takes apart the relationship of colonizer and colonized from the frontlines. The elegance of the book is that it does not preach of the virtues of the savage, as it distinctly shows the good and bad of the people, nor does it preach about the evils of Christian influence. It simply gives an account of events and provides an epitaph for the colonized; a depiction of what many tribes went through.

It would be easy to say that the reason for the book's high praises over the past half-century has stemmed from white guilt. Yes, there should certainly be a feeling of contrition for the symbolic actions depicted here, but as a work of fiction, the book succeeds on its own merits. It offers wisdom that should be taken to heart in dealings with all people, and for that reason alone it deserves whatever praises have been lauded upon it.

The Verdict:
An elegant portrayal of the colonizer and the colonized, Things Fall Apart is a book that gets better the more you think about it. While it may feel slightly alien at first, patience and rumination reward the thoughtful reader. We all want to be left to live our lives in peace, thinking we are doing what is just and right in our own eyes and the eyes of those watching us.

4.5/5

Up Next:

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

Alucard

Banned
lvn.jpg

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

The Review:
There is not much new to say about Lolita. Every critical word that could have possibly been spoken about the book has already been mentioned countless times over by other and far more skilled critics than me. So, I will tread on some well-trodden territory, while trying to focus on my own personal experience with the book. If I can remove hyperbole, I will say that the book is certainly memorable for all of its pedophilia and dazzling word play, and it becomes more of an object of curiosity the more one analyzes it.

For the unfamiliar, Lolita tracks the relationship of an aging narrator who calls himself Humbert Humbert, and his perverse obsession with "nymphets," or pre-pubescent girls of a particularly sensual type. The main relationship is between Humbert and Dolores Haze. Lolita. The first part of the book in particular is full of Humbert's own sensual depictions of his violations, and descriptions of the object of his desire. There is certainly perversity involved here, but the way Nabokov presents the topic is nothing short of hypnotic. Humbert is a highly literate European who has come to the trivialistic United States, and his eccentric habits and civilized mind are on full display in Lolita.

I have to admit, I had a very difficult time separating the subject matter from the prose at first. I simply did not "get" the purpose of the book, if a book can have one set purpose. Nabokov's afterword seems to indicate that he hates critical boxes and allegorical interpretations of his works, and that the focus should be more on the process and writing itself. If I were only to judge the book on the beauty, wit, and elegance of its words, it certainly would be one the most perfect books I had ever read. Nabokov's mind and his knowledge of literature and English wit are almost awe-inspiring in the amount of clever and playful thoughts, ideas, and sentences he dishes out here. It is very difficult not to laugh or crack a smile when Humbert dotes upon thoughts of marrying then murdering a woman who is trying to get Lolita involved in more school activities, which would in turn take her away from Humbert's attention. The man is a monster, but one who flits and gambols about in a way that is difficult not to give an "aw, shucks" to.

Humbert is an engaging and evocative narrator. Despite his horriffic failings as a human being, his obsessive personality and gift for elongated description make him hard to ignore. To illustrate this point, here he is talking about Lolita playing tennis:

"My Lolita had a way of raising her bent left knee at the ample and springy start of the service cycle when there would develop and hang in the sun for a second a vital web of balance between toed foot, pristine armpit, burnished arm and far back-flung racket, as she smiled up with gleaming teeth at the small globe suspended so high in the zenith of the powerful and graceful cosmos she had created for the express purpose of falling upon it with a clean resounding crack of her golden whip."

As a lover of books, it is impossible to do anything but admire such in-depth and alluring prose. Simply put, they cast a spell, and the fact that there is also so much tongue-in-cheek in the book makes it a strange combination of satirical comedy and disgusting horror.

In regards to Humbert himself, Nabokov paints him as an unreliable narrator. It is up to the reader to pull his or her mind out of Humbert's and assess what is really happening outside of the flowery narrative style. Humbert constantly refers to his readers as "ladies and gentlemen of the jury," imploring us to sympathize with him and to understand where he is coming from. His goal is to enchant and generate pity. However, by the end of the book only the most gullible or perverse personality would feel anything but disapproval of Humbert and his actions throughout the story.

In the end, I do not want to say "this is a book about one thing or another." Nabokov hates allegorical interpretations, so any allusions to a civilized Europe meeting an immature America are purely speculative. However, as authors are often the worst judges of their own works, I do not believe any extraneous critique of this book can truly be discounted. Yes, it is an incredibly controversial work, but the fact that it has had such an arresting effect on readers and popular culture in general shows the quality of its artistry. Personally, this is a very rich book with plenty to dissect and analyze. Even if one is not prone to critical analysis, he or she can always just enjoy Nabokov's mesmerizing writing style, or cringe through the pedophilia and wonder how a man can actually feel this way for a twelve year old pre-pubescent girl. Or you can even mix the two and delight in Humbert's sick-but-magnetic personality. Afterall, we are all drawn to the strange and twisted, especially when it is wrapped in such pretty packaging.

The Verdict:
There are so many opposing adjectives to describe the content and style of this book. It is this tension between admiration for the form and disgust for the action that is the crux of Lolita. There is a danger in doting too much on one side or the other, but if one can find a balance, he or she should feel nothing short of appreciation for such a complex, trance-like and entertaining work.

4.5/5

Next Up:

The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

More at my blog: http://backlogbooksblog.blogspot.com/

G-Bus

Banned
omnivoresdilemma.jpg

Was recommended to me by my brother. So far so good. Only about half way.

planet%20walker%20cover.png

Got this for Christmas from my dad. Having a hard time getting into it.

Top Bottom