• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2010)

braves01

Banned
I just finished The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larson, and I'm currently halfway through the sequel, The Girl Who Played With Fire. I've really enjoyed both of the books. I don't know why, but I'm really into mysteries/thrillers at the moment. I read Out by Natsuo Kirino last month for class and really enjoyed it, so maybe that's it...

Also, Uncharted 2 made me really want to read Seven Years in Tibet. :lol So, I'm almost done with that as well. I found most of the trek to Lhasa just alright, but life in the city has been much more interesting so far.

Chorazin

Finished up Boneshaker by Cherie Priest this weekend. It was....fine, I guess. I wish the beginning of it wasn't so slow to kick off. It felt like the plot didn't really kick in until I was 75% through.

I'll most likely read the inevitable sequel, hopefully without all the world building it'll be a better read.

Chorazin said:
Finished up Boneshaker by Cherie Priest this weekend. It was....fine, I guess. I wish the beginning of it wasn't so slow to kick off. It felt like the plot didn't really kick in until I was 75% through.

I'll most likely read the inevitable sequel, hopefully without all the world building it'll be a better read.
What did you think of the end?
Mostly the stuff regarding Minnerecht. Personally I could have done without the 'mystery'. It was fine that he was just some guy I just thought Cherie Priest spent too much time on a mystery that wasn't very interesting and, in my mind, not too difficult to figure out. That being said I was shocked that Briar actually killed her husband.
Other than that I think I may have enjoyed it more than you. I thought once Briar hit Seattle it read really fast. I'm actually really looking forward to the "sequel".

suzu

I just finished Boneshaker yesterday too. I thought it was a decent light read.

Going to finish Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

Chorazin

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
What did you think of the end?
Mostly the stuff regarding Minnerecht. Personally I could have done without the 'mystery'. It was fine that he was just some guy I just thought Cherie Priest spent too much time on a mystery that wasn't very interesting and, in my mind, not too difficult to figure out. That being said I was shocked that Briar actually killed her husband.
Other than that I think I may have enjoyed it more than you. I thought once Briar hit Seattle it read really fast. I'm actually really looking forward to the "sequel".

Yeah, that part of the ending was actually the best part of the entire book, I think. I really wasn't expecting that at all. Best of all, it really did fit her character.

I'll check out the sequel, I'm sure.

Karakand

Musashi Wins! said:
http://thisrecording.com/today/2010...wn-the-100-greatest-science-fiction-or-f.html

Great list of Fantasy and SF. I know it's dangerous or great fun to put such a list in front of nerds (self included, obviously) but this one is illuminating in that it's less concerned with fan critique than in expanding a reading list. I've read a lot of these over the years, but I also found many that I now want to read. Check it out.
You realize you just linked to someone that equated James Patterson, F. Scott Fitzie and Bill Bryson, right?

Salazar

He recommends, with what I assume is a straight face, Ayn Rand, and calls Bill Bryson boring. His definition or general idea of boredom must differ greatly from mine.

What is more, while I agree that 'Danny' is a fantastic book, it is not a work of fantasy nor, evidently, of sci-fi.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
4155707311_e471305f94.jpg

About half way through this so far, and it's sooooooo good. Having seen the film first, I'm really impressed at the casting, it just nails it so comprehensively. I cannot imagine any other persona other than Nicholson for the role of McMurphy, and Kai Winn was also a perfect Ratched. I love how the book is more cartoon-y in a way because it's inside the chief's head, it has that crazy 60's cartooning style throughout the prose, it's almost like a Ralph Steadman drawing in text, even more so than Hunter IMO. Great stuff, a deserved classic.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I'm reading number9dream and I think I might start over when I finish. Or read something else from Mitchell. So good.

Link Man

Banned
The%20sword%20of%20shannara.jpg

Just started re-reading it yesterday, hope to get through the series (I have all except the latest trilogy and the prequel). Brooks can tell a good story, but the challenge lies in getting through his writing style (though if memory serves, it's weakest in the first book due to inexperience).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Finally finished 'Pillars of the Earth', by Ken Follett last week.

Good god that's a long book. I think about as long as the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but in one book?

Anyway...it does feel like an achievement to finally be done with it :lol I did enjoy it though. It does deliver on the promise of a multi-generational story. It occasionally feels like the characters are just being set up for one calamity after the other, but...I guess medieval life really was like that for some people. Earl William's a piece of work, huh?

Anyone read the follow-up? Worth it? I'm looking forward to the TV series of the first later in the year, will be interesting to see someone else bring it to life.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished -

mwxys6.gif

Decent enough, but seemed a little more obscure than the other two in the series. Looking back at it, there are large swaths that didn't really seem to have a point. For example,
what point did Kumiko serve in any of this, except to give the reader an extra viewpoint on what was happening in the Swain house?
I'm sure there was just something in there I missed, but imo that's the problem with the book; occasionally while reading it just felt like I missed something, and by the endit felt like I missed a lot of stuff.Haven't had that feeling with any other Gibson I've read (though that's limited to Neuromancer, Count Zero, and a ton of short stories/short novels). The various stories just didn't seem like they were tied together very well.

icarus-daedelus said:
It is, but aren't there already dedicated comic book threads? Comics and literature are not really the same medium.
Meh, not really. There's the weekly thread, but that's more about buying and discussing stuff released specifically that week (though of course some older stuff sneaks in). I don't really ever even go in there because it's pretty much just superheroes superheroes superheroes and I don't read those anymore.

None of the other comic threads are really updated all that frequently, and to my knowledge there is no monthly thread like this one.

nosauz

Neo Member
CiSTM said:
23s8aqc.jpg

Not far into it yet but so far it has been good read.
anything by diamond is good, reading guns, germs, and steel for the third time since it's one of the best places to dig for quotes when talking to history nuts.

xSL4INx

Recently started this after a recommendation:

andromeda.jpg

And was given this for my birthday last week and enjoying it quite a lot.

3586-1.jpg

Chorazin

Finished Weapons of Choice by John Birmingham. Overall, I think it's a very good book, but it really does seem like it was overly front-loaded with extra crap to make it stretch out into sequels. Not that that's a really bad thing, but it was really noticible to me.

I really enjoyed the interplay between the people from 2021 and the people from 1942, I think they reacted exactly like they would have if really confronted by such radically different people. It also put into perspective how radically the world has changed in such a short time span.

If you like military fiction and time travel stories (but not fantastically far future), I'd say give it a shot.

Falch

Jedeye Sniv said:
4155707311_e471305f94.jpg

About half way through this so far, and it's sooooooo good. Having seen the film first, I'm really impressed at the casting, it just nails it so comprehensively. I cannot imagine any other persona other than Nicholson for the role of McMurphy, and Kai Winn was also a perfect Ratched. I love how the book is more cartoon-y in a way because it's inside the chief's head, it has that crazy 60's cartooning style throughout the prose, it's almost like a Ralph Steadman drawing in text, even more so than Hunter IMO. Great stuff, a deserved classic.

I'm also reading it, 60 or so pages in. I love it, it's even better then I remember from the last time I read it (7 years ago).

S. L.

after seeing it being recommended (Sci-Fi) a few times here or elsewhere I'm reading
fireuponadeep.jpg

Halfway trough and it is okay'ish i guess.
Half of it is two future-brats on some medieval world which is kinda meh, but overall it is fun enough for me to finish reading.

I could use some Sci-Fi recommendations thou if anyone has some.
Sci-Fi I enjoyed reading over last year were
Haldemanns The Forever War
Robert Wilsons Spin (totally loved it!, Axis was crap thou)
Scalzis Old Mans War (the sequels got exponentially worse with each book...)
Huxleys Brave New World

Falch

S. L. said:
after seeing it being recommended (Sci-Fi) a few times here or elsewhere I'm reading
fireuponadeep.jpg

Half of it is two future-brats on some medieval world which is kinda meh, but overall it is fun enough for me to finish reading.

SciFi I enjoyed reading ~last year were
Scalzis Old Mans War (the sequels got exponentially worse with each book thou)

Foundation trilogy by Asimov.
Manifold trilogy (Space, Time, Origin) by Baxter.
The Penultimate Truth by Dick.

Alucard

Banned
S. L. said:

SciFi I enjoyed reading ~last year were
Scalzis Old Mans War (the sequels got exponentially worse with each book thou)

I never see anyone recommending this book...

silverberg_nightwings_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

It's the most seamless blend of sci-fi and fantasy that I have ever read, and the writing style is incredibly lovely. Not to mention that the story itself of an alien invasion, while derivative on the surface, is handled with elegance. There is some excellent character building, as it essentially asks the question of "what do you do when your life's work is no longer needed?" It is doubly biting on this question because the man it centres around actually fails at the ONE thing he was supposed to do his entire life, which then causes the invasion.

Anyway, I highly recommend it to EVERYONE in this thread; especially lovers of science fiction and/or fantasy. Another great thing about it is that it is quite short (not even 200 pages if I recall correctly), and it is split up into three distinct parts, which were originally released as separate novellas.

Alucard

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
http://thisrecording.com/today/2010...wn-the-100-greatest-science-fiction-or-f.html

Great list of Fantasy and SF. I know it's dangerous or great fun to put such a list in front of nerds (self included, obviously) but this one is illuminating in that it's less concerned with fan critique than in expanding a reading list. I've read a lot of these over the years, but I also found many that I now want to read. Check it out.

Bookmarked for future reference. Thanks!

beje

Banned
I'm currently with this one:

PPZquirk.jpg

Completely agreeing with the back cover statement: "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies turns a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read".

Fitz

51Ro95GeJfL._SS500_.jpg

Or at least I WISH I was reading this, a continuation of my favourite stories ever. Well, set in the same universe at least, different main characters. Unfortunantly the paperback version isn't out until March and the hardback, which costs a bit much, has some errors in which I understand won't be in the paperback.

Still working through
karamazov.jpg

I'm about halfway through Book 4 now, definitely loving the story progression. Keeping track of the names hasn't been too much trouble, and Dostoevsky nails the character interactions. The bits of religious philosophy come through pretty naturally, though any shaky bits could probably be attributed to the translation (I'm reading the Garrett translation).

Also recently opened this again:
Jesus_070706015744898_wideweb__300x458.jpg

Shelby-***** (censored, heh) has alternately been called a false Christian and a revolutionary theologian; I'd have to side with the latter. Defining his rationale as Christian is a bit of an odd proposition, especially since it contradicts with so much of established Christian dogma, but if you accept his initial thesis that to be Christian only requires recognizing the God-like presence of Christ it all lines up. I wouldn't exactly call myself a biblical scholar, so for me the book is certainly a fresh look at comparisons between the New and Old Testaments.

Karakand

Salazar said:
He recommends, with what I assume is a straight face, Ayn Rand, and calls Bill Bryson boring. His definition or general idea of boredom must differ greatly from mine.
He didn't even really pick a Rand novel that was sci-fi/fantasy! Compromising himself... Ayn Rand would be ashamed. ASHAMED.

Peronthious said:
Still working through

I'm about halfway through Book 4 now, definitely loving the story progression. Keeping track of the names hasn't been too much trouble, and Dostoevsky nails the character interactions. The bits of religious philosophy come through pretty naturally, though any shaky bits could probably be attributed to the translation (I'm reading the Garrett translation).
I really love the Brothers K. It's probably been one of the most influential books I've ever read. I need to read it again, but I can't seem to get myself to be able to get through those first 300 pages again.

hednik4am

this

parasite_eve.jpg

I just finished this one. I really enjoye the scientific depth in certain parts but the only draw back was the "monster" and its lackluster description. Maybe since its a translation it just didnt make the transition well.

and this

CemeteryDance.jpg

loves these guys. The always write a good quick read that doesnt make you think that hard.

beje said:

PPZquirk.jpg

Completely agreeing with the back cover statement: "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies turns a masterpiece of world literature into something you'd actually want to read".

A friend of mine who didn't read the original book read this book and he says that it's actually a really good book if you skip the zombies parts.

Chorazin

beje said:

PPZquirk.jpg

Maaaan, what? Listen, I love zombie. LOVE them. Books, movies, comics, games, shirts, whatever, you name it, I own it. I can sit through the worse zombie movies, and I can read some pretty bad zombie fiction, but PaPaZ is just TERRIBLE. It was just as unbearably boring as the original story, with inane zombie action just tacked on to make a quick buck.

I actually fell asleep reading it, and it was during a zombie part of the story! Really, I was totally wide awake, picked up the book, start reading, and BAM! It's 3 hours later, pitch black out, and the book's on the floor.

Maybe if I actually liked her original works, this wouldn't have been so godawful to me. :(

Chorazin said:
Maaaan, what? Listen, I love zombie. LOVE them. Books, movies, comics, games, shirts, whatever, you name it, I own it. I can sit through the worse zombie movies, and I can read some pretty bad zombie fiction, but PaPaZ is just TERRIBLE. It was just as unbearably boring as the original story, with inane zombie action just tacked on to make a quick buck.

Maybe if I actually liked her original works, this wouldn't have been so godawful to me. :(

I was wondering if it were actually a good book and not just an amusing cover and title. I never see anyone actually talk about the content.

FnordChan

Cyan said:
Ayn Rand had no shame.

This is true, though she did envision a future where industrialist philosopher kings would pay experts to craft top of the line shame, only to eventually refuse to allow greedy governments and the lazy general population take it away from them.

FnordChan

Money

Banned
I just started LOTR 50th ANV edition. What have I gotten myself into? Work has been slow lately so I sit in my office, close the door, and dive into it. Although I try to hide the book from other people as much as possible, because it looks like I'm studying a new religion.

dakster

Neo Member
Just finished The Tomb by F Paul Wilson. Was a decent read all about a character named repairman Jack, a Sort of a vigilante/gun for hire for people who need help. All in all, would recommend it and thanks for a previous poster on here recommending it in the first place. Will more than likely pick up the other installments when i get the chance.

Wondering if anyone on here could recommend similar books that are dark, violent and contain a bit of humour as well ? I'm currently halfway through Blood Meridian but can't seem to get into it. I feel I'm more of an observer looking in than really getting to know the the characters. It just feels a bit disjointed to me. Probably more me than the book as everyone seems to rate it very highly.

Chorazin

dakster said:
Just finished The Tomb by F Paul Wilson. Was a decent read all about a character named repairman Jack, a Sort of a vigilante/gun for hire for people who need help. All in all, would recommend it and thanks for a previous poster on here recommending it in the first place. Will more than likely pick up the other installments when i get the chance.

Wondering if anyone on here could recommend similar books that are dark, violent and contain a bit of humour as well ? I'm currently halfway through Blood Meridian but can't seem to get into it. I feel I'm more of an observer looking in than really getting to know the the characters. It just feels a bit disjointed to me. Probably more me than the book as everyone seems to rate it very highly.

If you like dark, violent, black comedy, and the supernatural, I whoeheartedly recommend to you Butcher Bird and Sandman Slim by Richard Kaderly. They are seperate, unrelated books (set in the same world, but nothing really interconnects), so you can pick up either. IMO, Sandman Slim is the better of the two, and the sequel is due to come out next year.

S. L.

Falch said:
Foundation trilogy by Asimov.
Manifold trilogy (Space, Time, Origin) by Baxter.
The Penultimate Truth by Dick.
those sound really good, thanks. I always was intrigued by PK Dicks novels, but never got around reading them.

Alucard said:
I never see anyone recommending this book...

silverberg_nightwings_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg
sound interesting, but how fantsy cliche is the fantasy aspect of the book? medieval dirty-trolls-axes-dragons fantasy stuff is usually a huge turnoff for me :/

Alucard

Banned
S. L. said:
those sound really good, thanks. I always was intrigued by PK Dicks novels, but never got around reading them.

sound interesting, but how fantsy cliche is the fantasy aspect of the book? medieval dirty-trolls-axes-dragons fantasy stuff is usually a huge turnoff for me :/

Well, the prose style is definitely more fantasy based than sci-fi, but the trimmings, such as the main faerie being genetically engineered, and an alien invasion, are all sci-fi. The book focuses more on character relationships, decisions, and story, than it does on science. I would still recommend it as a very solid and entertaining work of literature, one way or another, though.

PKD is also a great choice.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Karakand said:
You realize you just linked to someone that equated James Patterson, F. Scott Fitzie and Bill Bryson, right?

lulz. It ain't perfect.

His exaggerated love of Jack Vance definitely dizzied my judgment.

bengraven

Cyan said:
I doubt it. I like Pride & Prejudice, but I can't see myself ever reading this.

I was in Books-A-Million today and found that there are also P&P with vampires as well.

I think this new fad has already got very very old very very fast.

jergrah

Just finished reading both hard covers of Locke and Key (so, so, so, so, so good)

Now working on The Windup Girl. I heard a lot of good things but Ive been forcing my way through it and not overly enjoying it.

To comment on Pride and Prejudice and Zombies --- did not like much at all. Had some funny parts but was mostly boring and a way for the author to make a quick buck on a popular fad in my opinion. Of course I helped his cause when I bought it new. World War Z or The Walking Dead are much better options for a zombie fix.

brianjonestownmassacre said:
I was wondering if it were actually a good book and not just an amusing cover and title. I never see anyone actually talk about the content.
It's bad. You know when it goes from Jane Austen to the zombie author because he has no consistent voice of his own and he doesn't try to match Austen's either. It goes from plodding period-piece romance to all out flying kicks and shit without reason and balance until the book ends.

Ryu

12551209.jpg

Just finished this. What an excellent read. I liked book one - enough to get excited about the upcoming film, but this book was far better than the first. The ending was especially great in my opinion.

Next up -

26795675.jpg

and as soon as it arrives from Amazon...

45228128.JPG

TenderIsTheNight.jpg

The Great Gatsby is probably my favourite novel, so I thought I'd give this a read.

Just finished reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles, whilst watching the BBC televised series in Literature class. Practically everyone in the class was in tears.

:lol

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Chorazin said:

I actually fell asleep reading it, and it was during a zombie part of the story! Really, I was totally wide awake, picked up the book, start reading, and BAM! It's 3 hours later, pitch black out, and the book's on the floor.

whoa! Pride and Prejudice is not a boring novel! It's good shit, Mr. Darcy is bad-ass.

Chorazin

otake said:
whoa! Pride and Prejudice is not a boring novel! It's good shit, Mr. Darcy is bad-ass.

Yeah.....no. Sorry, I just find all her books so damn boring. They have no appeal whatsoever to me.

JodyAnthony said:
reading The Road on my ipod touch using the kindle app.

That's a slipperly slope to getting a real Kindle, if you don't already have one. That's why I got my Kindle!

Karakand

Musashi Wins! said:
lulz. It ain't perfect.

His exaggerated love of Jack Vance definitely dizzied my judgment.
Embarrassingly much of my hate for the list (and believe me there was a lot) evaporated when I got to #2. I squinted at my monitor and was like, "FUCK YOU that's a good choice."

I also may or may not have pointed at the screen.

Top Bottom