• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2012)

Just finished 11/22/63. I didn't like it quite as much as Under the Dome but close. I enjoyed the hell out of it. And I might have misted up
when George/Jake started dancing with old Sadie and tried to relive the moment.

If I want to read Abercrombie I should go through the First Law Trilogy first, right?

I really want to get into his stuff. Seems right up my alley and the fact that his next book in the universe is going to be a western has piqued my interest even more.

The last two standalone books can be read and appreciated without having read the trilogy, but you'd be missing out on a lot of background lore and a few cool easter eggs (some of the main characters in the standalones are distant side characters in the trilogy, like Bremer dan Gorst)

So yeah, read the trilogy first. I prefer the standalones, but you get the most out of them having read the trilogy beforehand.

bob page

Just finished up Catching Fire. I actually was expecting it to be bad but it actually turned out pretty great. I may actually like it better than The Hunger Games. The first half was pretty slow but it definitely picked up and went full throttle from then on.

200px-Catching_fire.JPG

On form and thoroughly entertaining, this third entry into Chris Wooding's 'Tales of the Ketty Jay' series shows all the hallmarks of it's predecessors.

The action is compelling and well paced, peppered with some welcome back story and motivation for two of Wooding's more insular characters, and while following the same formula as 'Retribution Falls' and 'Black Lung Captain', like those books 'The Iron Jackal' is a true page-turner.

One of the best genre adventure series I've encountered. Every book is an excuse for a jaunt into a new corner of that world with Frey and his crew, but Wooding understands how to build a larger serialized template alongside his focus on engaging characters. My guess is the next one will explore the military tradition of certain characters further (see: Harkins in discomfort!).

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished -

Md5Mw.jpg

Sooo much better than Choke. Definitely better than Pygmy. Can't remember if it's better than Fight Club, which I remember enjoying when I read it in the last year or so but a lot of that could have been movie nostalgia.

At any rate, not a classic or anything, but at least now I know not EVERYTHING Palahniuk does sucks. Definitely went to a few places I didn't expect with this one; didn't even read the jacket beforehand, and I'm glad I didn't, because it would have ruined a lot, like
the whole porting thing, the Party Crashers, and the time travel
. Didn't know any of those were coming so it was great being surprised. Reason #1 I never read synopses before I read books anymore.

Not sure what I'll get to next. Currently just finishing up The Art of Happiness.

iavi

7toa.jpg

Seven types of Ambiguity - Elliot Perlman

I'm about a quarter of the way into this, and I have to say that it is fantastic. It's dark, delving into the themes of sin, but subtly so; each segment following another character's perspective from the first-person. Drawing from the well developed depths of their psyches to disturb yours. It's an interesting intent, I believe. Prose read fast, almost stream of conscious--but coherent. My only complaint thus far is that, beside their respective issues and events, each character reads the same, being in first person and all that jazz.

bengraven

TheIronJackal.jpg

*positive review*

Is that a Road Warrior like dune buggy flying toward a bullet train in a post-apocalypic world?

Because I don't even need to read your review; I already want to read this.

Sooo much better than Choke. Definitely better than Pygmy. Can't remember if it's better than Fight Club, which I remember enjoying when I read it in the last year or so but a lot of that could have been movie nostalgia.

At any rate, not a classic or anything, but at least now I know not EVERYTHING Palahniuk does sucks. Definitely went to a few places I didn't expect with this one; didn't even read the jacket beforehand, and I'm glad I didn't, because it would have ruined a lot, like
the whole porting thing, the Party Crashers, and the time travel
. Didn't know any of those were coming so it was great being surprised. Reason #1 I never read synopses before I read books anymore.

Not sure what I'll get to next. Currently just finishing up The Art of Happiness.

I agree with everything you said, except that I actually love Chuck P's books and Rant, Choke, and Fight Club are my favorites of his.

The only thing I knew about the book was that it was an oral history of a popular person who liked to crash cars. That's it. The fact that Palahniuk created a fun distopian world, which suddenly appears 1/3 of the way into the novel once Rant leaves Bumpkinville was a very pleasant surprise. Then 2/3 of the way through suddenly we're talking about existential time travel and incest and rape and anime-like power levels (
"I impregnated my mom for the 4th time and now I'm at the next level of Super Saiyannnnnnn!"
) and my mind was full of fuck.

He's eventually going back to this universe. Said he will write his first sequel about Rant's world and maybe do a trilogy.

I love Wooding's Ketty Jay series.

Just finished Percepliquis.

Sullivan's series ended on a high note and wrapped things up pretty well. Overall, I enjoyed the Riyria Revelations, although some may complain that it is a tad traditional.

Damaged

Picked this up on a whim for my kindle the other day and was very pleasantly surprised:

51fOTiUjoaL_BO2204203200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-clickTopRight35-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4BottomRight-3422_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005M9TF78/

Far from the high-tech, high-rise of the super-cities, there lies another Japan.

A Japan where snakes slither down school corridors, where bears prowl dark forests and where Westerners are still regarded as curious creatures. Welcome to the world of the inaka – the Japanese countryside.

Unhappily employed in the UK, Sam Baldwin decides to make a big change. Saying sayonara to laboratory life, he takes a job as an English teacher in a small, rural Japanese town that no one – the Japanese included – has ever heard of.

Arriving in Fukui, where there’s ‘little reason to linger’ according to the guidebook, at first he wonders why he left England. But as he slowly settles in to his unfamiliar new home, Sam befriends a colourful cast of locals and begins to discover the secrets of this little known region.

Helped by headmasters, housewives and Himalayan mountain climbers, he immerses himself in a Japan still clutching its pastoral past and uncovers a landscape of lonely lakes, rice fields and lush mountain forests. Joining a master drummer’s taiko class, skiing over paddies and learning how to sharpen samurai swords, along the way Sam encounters farmers, fishermen and foreigners behaving badly.

Exploring Japan’s culture and cuisine, as well as its wild places and wildlife, For Fukui’s Sake is an adventurous, humorous and sometimes poignant insight into the frustrations and fascinations that face an outsider living in small town, backcountry Japan.

Its not the longest book in the world (took me a day's solid reading to finish), but it did make me laugh a hell of allot and it really made me want to go back to Japan as soon as I can.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

coldvein

Banned
fiiiiiiiii-iiiiiii-iiiiiinally finished sorokin's ice trilogy. damn that took me forever. what a crazy ending. i am READY TO MOVE ON. hopefully to something a bit brighter and happier. haha. i feel like reading more right now, but i thnk i should let the ice sink in for at least tonight.

one of the several things i like about goodreads.. is being able to add books to a "to-read" list. previously i would just write down books "to read" on pieces of paper, in a notebook, on a napkin, etc. and inevitably lose half of them. that problem has been fixed. thank you goodreads.

The%2BPassage%2BUK.jpg

I like it thus far (95 pgs in) but I hope he does something new/interesting with the premise because I can see it coming a mile away.

ecd20_92393659.jpg

Picked this up so I could teach myself how to program and I'm loving it. Supplementing this book with intro to CS class videos from MIT and Stanford. Can't wait to start college up again.

Just got done with this short story:

The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate by Ted Chiang

SO GOOD. SO SO GOOD. Ted Chiang's short stories can do no wrong. It's my favorite story about time travel so far and I *hate* time travel stories.
Definitely going to get this. I LOVED exhalation but haven't really read anything else by him.

The%2BPassage%2BUK.jpg

I like it thus far (95 pgs in) but I hope he does something new/interesting with the premise because I can see it coming a mile away.

Definitely going to get this. I LOVED exhalation but haven't really read anything else by him.

Might as well stop with The Passage. Nothing new is covered and it gets pretty frustratingly stupid later.

Instead, pick up this collection by Ted Chiang if you liked exhalation:

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang

Just finished reading this
H5Wuc.png

I enjoyed it, nice fun read. Enjoyed the Mistborn trilogy more, but I feel like this has some promise.

Next up: Neuromancer

Might as well stop with The Passage. Nothing new is covered and it gets pretty frustratingly stupid later.

Instead, pick up this collection by Ted Chiang if you liked exhalation:

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang

Wow that is such a shame. I think I will put it down then since it's such a big book and the last hefty book I read (The Terror) burned me pretty bad. And anyone who likes Exhalation is to be trusted.

Just ordered Ted Chiang's collection off Amazon. Thanks dude!

Reading:

mJJqV.jpg

I've seen the show but the extra characterization is great. Roughly 2/3 though.

That being said, I'm getting kinda tired of it and want to skip ahead to ASOS.
Martin's preoccupation with swords and armor doesn't help.

Finished:

2giFS.jpg

Loved the first half but the second was a huge misstep.

91pbs.jpg

Loved it. Dystopian by the way of noir. Very applicable to modern life.

DluZz.jpg

Enjoyable but a bit too generic/simple. Got a couple of things out of it. Solid analysis of the Book of Nehemiah, however.

iavi

Just got done with this short story:

The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate by Ted Chiang

SO GOOD. SO SO GOOD. Ted Chiang's short stories can do no wrong. It's my favorite story about time travel so far and I *hate* time travel stories.

Ditto. I just finished it. That was so good. so good. That was my first time with Chiang too, so I had no idea what I was getting into. Already have "Stories of your life & others" on call at the library. Can't wait.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just started this:

WsD30.png

About 60 pages in. My sister got it for me for Christmas, and I probably wouldn't have otherwise started it so soon but I kind of felt obligated... I'm enjoying it so far though.

Kosh

Finished up:

Really enjoyed the pacing and story of this book. I ordered the HBO series right after finishing, can't wait to watch it in March. I will probably pick the series back up in about a month or so.

On to:

wrowa

It's not yet the end of the month and this thread is already GAF's longest monthly reading thread ever. Or at least since May 09.

Sleepy

I really enjoyed, and I am not even the slightest bit religious/spiritual. Pi was just such an interesting character.

Still kicking around The Girl who Played with Fire. Also, reading Looking at Movies to decide if it will be my new course book for Intro. to Film for the fall.

51oRC9DiCiL._AA160_.jpg

It's better than the textbook I'm currently using.

schwupp

finished divergent by veronica roth great book, it was over way too fast ;(

after watching the girl with the dragon tattoo i´ve now started reading the second book.

bengraven

I'm kind of torn. I have a lot of great books to read, but I'm kind of in the mood for comfort reading.

I feel like an asshole when I re-read a book, though. I was considering something like Interview with the Vampire or The Hobbit or Great Expectations.

Out of interest, what's the rationale behind having monthly threads instead of one big continuous OT?

Because by having a short, monthly thread it's easier for me to add to my Amazon Wishlist.

Seriously, these are my favorite threads. When I'm dumbstruck for reading ideas I just Google search "neogaf what are you reading".

Mumei

I finished The Crystal Cave. I'll have to read the next book soon. In the meantime, though, I got copies of King Lear, The Merchant of Venice, Hamlet, and Richard II, as well as theatrical productions of them to go along with it.

I watched / read the first Act of King Lear just a bit ago.

RickA238

Finished this earlier in the month:

Not my favorite Murakami, that title still goes to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Strong showing though, I enjoyed it better than Kafka on the Shore. Very deep, and rather long.

519RHf5fmYL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started this a couple of weeks ago:

516rzoD0jGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Wonderful book, my first Dickens novel. I can easily say that all the Dickens praise is quite well justified. Very funny book with an interesting angle on 19th century English classism.

Hopefully I can finish David Copperfield this weekend. I'd like to read Hunger Games based on all the recent praise I've heard. Plus, I've been reading too many 1000+ page books lately!

Oh I know. I know I know.

I try and pretend those don't exist because my backlog of books I need to read has now surpassed my game backlog.

Ditto. Between the Kindle daily deals, Christmas, book sales, and just random purchasing of books I desire, my book backlog has gotten enormous.

Dresden

Reading The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti. About 3/4 of a way through, and while the start was excellent, it has slowed down and isn't very engaging at all. About a young orphan with one hand who is adopted by a con-man.

Dropped The Last Apocalypse: Europe at the Year 1,000AD by James Reston. Wasn't terrible or anything, just found it kinda dull. It was cool to see glimpses of the events in The Long Ships happen here, though.

Reading The Ecstasy of Influence by Jonathan Lethem. Picked it up after seeing it at the library, I liked what I read of Lethem so figured this could be interesting. A collection of little vignettes and essays about a variety of subjects. Random and not really incisive or illuminating or whatever, but they're all short and amusing enough that if you happened to be one of those people who like to read things while taking a shit, this would be a good book for that, dunno.

I stopped reading Ruins by Achy Obejas a while back--about an old revolutionary going through, um, disillusionment as Cuba falls apart.

Going to start Heroes by Abercrombie soon. Depends on whether I get the Kindle or not.

Did you lose a bet or something, or are you just masochistic?

At first it was just morbid curiosity, then I just had to finish what I'd started. I was asked earlier this week whether it was worse than Twilight (which I haven't read)...but now I'm tempted to read it to find out.

Help me.

Basch

Still kicking around The Girl who Played with Fire. Also, reading Looking at Movies to decide if it will be my new course book for Intro. to Film for the fall.

51oRC9DiCiL._AA160_.jpg

It's better than the textbook I'm currently using.

lol Reading this for my Film Appreciation class. Not that far in, but it's okay I suppose. They do some nice scene breakdowns of my favorite films.

In other news, I'm reading Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (really not digging his style, lots of run-ons, weird phrases that often have repetitive descriptions, and the general flow is really touch and go) and Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (exceptionally good, beautiful writing/prose, love the narration).

effzee

Just finished up Catching Fire. I actually was expecting it to be bad but it actually turned out pretty great. I may actually like it better than The Hunger Games. The first half was pretty slow but it definitely picked up and went full throttle from then on.

200px-Catching_fire.JPG

I am near the end of the Hunger Games. I didn't think I would like it too much. In fact a lot of people told me its for teen girls just written better than the Twilight book.

But I find it quite entertaining. Pretty brutal too which I did not expect.

Top Bottom