• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2012)

hamchan

I am near the end of the Hunger Games. I didn't think I would like it too much. In fact a lot of people told me its for teen girls just written better than the Twilight book.

But I find it quite entertaining. Pretty brutal too which I did not expect.

If teen girls now enjoy stories about people brutally killing each other in an arena then my opinion of teen girls has gone up!

JLG-

I finished reading Norwegian Wood and Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. Both were fantastic.

Reading next:
nSJaX.jpg

Sleepy

lol Reading this for my Film Appreciation class. Not that far in, but it's okay I suppose. They do some nice scene breakdowns of my favorite films.

If you remember, will you give me some positives and negatives about the text after the class ends? I would appreciate a student's perspective. Thanks!

Jamieee

Neo Member
Just finished reading the last of the Hunger Games trilogy - wonderful books! Don't be put off that they are for young adults.

I saw that the third book is regarded as a bit weaker than the other two, but I didn't feel like this; I felt that it was just as good as the first two, if not better. It reminds me of the first of the Mistborn trilogy, which I also thought was excellent.

f0rk

If teen girls now enjoy stories about people brutally killing each other in an arena then my opinion of teen girls has gone up!

For me it's not written in a very brutal / impactful way.
Katniss fucking butchers dudes with no character without a second thought and there is more emphasise on how she has to kiss this boy loads.
It's only really fucked up when you put some thought into the premise and it annoyed me how little time is spent on its place in the wider world.

hamchan

So I finished Book 2 of the Wheel of Time, The Great Hunt. Wow, so much stuff happened in this book and I thought it was really good! It's a shame this series eventually gets mediocre in the middle, or so people say, because I think it's pretty awesome so far. I also like how Rand is building up a harem of pretty girls who all want him, yay!

I'm also reading Catch-22 for the GAF bookclub but I'm only 1/4 through, oops lol. I think it's taking me a while to get used to Joseph Heller's writing style.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So I finished Book 2 of the Wheel of Time, The Great Hunt. Wow, so much stuff happened in this book and I thought it was really good! It's a shame this series eventually gets mediocre in the middle, or so people say, because I think it's pretty awesome so far. I also like how Rand is building up a harem of pretty girls who all want him, yay!

I'm also reading Catch-22 for the GAF bookclub but I'm only 1/4 through, oops lol. I think it's taking me a while to get used to Joseph Heller's writing style.

Then you'll love the rest of the books.

Alucard

Banned
416Ac24pVnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Good bathroom reading. I've read through all of it already, as it's filled with plenty of quotes that use great words like atavistic and kerfuffle. Good for enhancing your vocab, and it's one of those things you can flip to any page and just re-fresh your mind a bit.

400000000000000080848_s4.jpg

Some useful tips for starting up your own business, but lots of it is ego stroking by the author for the author. There is also far too much touchy-feely garbage at the end of each chapter. "Now, my dear reader, take out that notepad, and just write, write, write. Feel your dream. See your dream. Touch your dream. Write your dream. You're doing it now. You're already on your way." Uuuuuugh. Anyone who doesn't have the mental age of a 13 year old can see past this guy's schtick. Still, some of the advice is pretty good, so I'm sticking around for that.

Alucard

Banned
Next up: Neuromancer

Don't do it, unless you want to drown in unexplained technobabble that has no meaning outside of the world itself.

Really didn't see the point of the novel...at all. One of the more difficult books that I've ever forced myself to trudge through for the sake of saying that I read it.

I get that it's considered a classic, and hugely influential in the realm of science fiction, but I really thought it was nigh-incomprehensible.

Read some Philip K. Dick instead. I recommend The Man in the High Castle or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

coldvein

Banned
Don't do it, unless you want to drown in unexplained technobabble that has no meaning outside of the world itself.

Really didn't see the point of the novel...at all. One of the more difficult books that I've ever forced myself to trudge through for the sake of saying that I read it.

I get that it's considered a classic, and hugely influential in the realm of science fiction, but I really thought it was nigh-incomprehensible.

Read some Philip K. Dick instead. I recommend The Man in the High Castle or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

do not... DO NOT.... listen to this poster. for the love of god do not listen.

coldvein

Banned
Thus begins my tour of "What Are You Reading Thread Regulars:"

QhtzI.jpg

~220 pages in, pretty great so far.

is that what the wachowski bros. movie is based on? might have to check it out before the film hits.

just started a dirty job by christopher moore over here.

Finished A Game Of Thrones.

Wished I had skipped it and went straight to "A Clash of Kings", to be honest.

The extra characterization was nice but I think a lot of the changes made for the TV show were for the better.
Still reading the novel gave me a deeper understanding of everything going on in the world and had a more firm grasp on who's who.

Seanspeed

Banned
3nP43.jpg

Finally found an inexpensive copy of this. I'm really in love with this story. I just love how personal it is. I dont get all the reviews calling it 'epic' and comparable to stuff like A Game of Thrones or anything. Its nothing like it. And its better for it.

Just finished A Very British Coup by Chris Mullens. Really enjoyable political thriller (though very much an easy read). UKGAF get on this, even if I am about twenty years late to the party!

SI9Xi.jpg

Just finished Out Of The Dark by David Weber. It was a nice realistic alien invasion set in the 2010, and then it has the single most random pointless twist ending I've ever seen. Jumping the shark barely begins to describe how random this twist was.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Out Of The Dark by David Weber. It was a nice realistic alien invasion set in the 2010, and then it has the single most random pointless twist ending I've ever seen. Jumping the shark barely begins to describe how random this twist was.

That ending really was goofy as hell. Makes you wonder just what on earth he was thinking when he came up with it.

Arment

TheCrippledGod.jpg

Started this, need to finish the series up. I'm having trouble remembering who everyone is unfortunately. Need to go look for some kind of summary.

Probably going to start
200px-The_Black_Company.jpg
afterward.

Finished A Game Of Thrones.

Wished I had skipped it and went straight to "A Clash of Kings", to be honest.

The extra characterization was nice but I think a lot of the changes made for the TV show were for the better.
Still reading the novel gave me a deeper understanding of everything going on in the world and had a more firm grasp on who's who.

No way. It's good you didn't skip it and I disagree totally about the TV series changes being good. You'd be fairly lost in Clash of Kings if you didn't read it.

eosos

Banned
Just read The Hunger Games trilogy. What a fucking terrible ending. First two books were great, but that end...

In my quest to find reason for the existence of Modelland I found this. Freakin' HILARIOUS. The author essentially mirrors my thoughts as I read through the book, even picks up on some pretty bad inconsistencies I didn't manage to notice.

You'd be fairly lost in Clash of Kings if you didn't read it.
Yeah I can see that.

Going to start it next week.
Need a little breather.

I'm pretty noted on GAF for being anti-all the sex scenes to make way of more important stuff in the story, but aging up the kids for one, is a welcomed change..

game

Banned
I recently started reading the Dark Tower series, currently on the 2nd book.

Not sure why I put them off so long. Great read, reminds me of Firefly at times.

Started reading The Witcher short stories 'The Last Wish'. Seems pretty interesting so far, the writing style is fast and light, primarily made up of dialogue. The opening story is that told in the opening cut-scene of the first game, so I have a clear idea of locations and the creatures involved. Something I'm thankful for given the lack of description.

Probably going to get around to reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy afterwards, I've been putting it off for far to long.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
stories-of-your-life-and-others-by-ted-chiang1.jpeg

Just finished Stories of Your Life and Others.

Transcribed below, taken with some liberty, are my words after reading every story,:
Myself said:
FuckfuckfuckfuckfuckholyshitwhatthefuckdidIjustreadhowdoyouevenwritesomethinglikethatwhatthefuckgodamnfuckinghell
I learned about Chiang from reading The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate, which blew me away. I could scarcely believe that nearly every single short in Stories would comparable with (The Evolution of Human Science) or even better as (Tower of Babylon) Merchant. When I first read his Wikipedia page, I had scoffed at the label of "Speculative Fiction". I felt like it was a classification used by people who felt that "Science Fiction" was somehow diminishing, just as with "Graphic Novel" and "Comics".

This is the first time I felt that "Speculative Fiction" is the most appropriate label in existence to describe an author's work.

Every one of his stories focuses around one or two key thoughts, which Chiang follows to their logical conclusion. Unlike typical sci-fi/fantasy, however, he does not concern himself with world building, prose, characterization, plot or action, anymore than is strictly necessary to see his idea through. Perhaps this is why he has never written anything of great length. I felt like I was reading a philosophical treatise, or s mathematical proof, except his initial axioms are simply ideas, "what if?" scenarios, unburdened by typical fiction trappings. He explores concepts to such a minute detail that I have to take some time readjusting to reality after reading his stories (particularly after Hell is the Absence of God). It is the first time I've encountered a fiction author that made such heavy use of logos to stimulate my imagination.

And now I'm extremely sad that the book is done.

mastermargarita.jpg

I recall there being a gaf book club thread about this a while back so I decided to pick it up. A third into it and I'm enjoying the book quite a bit. Here's hoping I finish it with even half the praise that just about everyone else lavishes it with.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Finished The White-Luck Warrior last night, so now on to Orb Sceptre Throne by Ian C. Esslemont

51nU0CUDu2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Mastadon

Banned
mastermargarita.jpg

I recall there being a gaf book club thread about this a while back so I decided to pick it up. A third into it and I'm enjoying the book quite a bit. Here's hoping I finish it with even half the praise that just about everyone else lavishes it with.

I'm not sure I've ever wanted to like a novel more, but it just didn't click with me at all. Hope you like it.

Mumei

Finished King Lear. 'Twas wonderful.

After that, I read Coraline by Neil Gaiman, and then The Complete Poems of Sappho translated by Willis Barnstone. I didn't realize just how little of her work still remains, but what little there is is beautiful.

Now I'm reading The Ancestor's Tale, by Richard Dawkins.

FnordChan

41JFK25H27L.jpg

I finally finished Kyril Bonfiglioli Mortdecai Trilogy, wherein our hero Charlie Mortdecai enjoys the perks of a very minor title, his own personal thug, an impressive lack of morals, an equally impressive amount of snobbery, and an awful lot of booze and good food. This all helps him get through misguided attempts at criminal capers, espionage, mystery solving, and the occasional Satanic ritual. When I raved about the first novel earlier in this thread I mentioned how damned funny it is, with cattiness dripping off the page and laugh out loud moments coming fast and furious. Having now read all three novels in the series - Don't Point That Thing At Me (1973), After You With The Pistol (1976), and Something Nasty in the Woodshed (1979) - I can confirm that they're still incredibly funny, right up to the point where they suddenly aren't. The mixture of boozy hijinx and astonishingly black humor works brilliantly and the books are surprisingly powerful when the laughs stop. Highest possible recommendation.

51GyN6FiAOL.jpg

Inspired by Series 2 of Sherlock, I've belatedly returned to reading the Sherlock Holmes canon, where I'm currently roughly two-thirds of the way through the first beefy paperback volume. (Specifically, I'm in the middle of "The Reigate Puzzle".) What can I say? These are immortal classics and I'm kicking myself for not having read all the Holmes stories ages ago. Still, better late than never.

FnordChan

Dude is fucking brilliant. I haven't loved everything he's written, but some of his stories just punch you in the back of the head and make you go "oh holy shit." "Tower of Babylon," "Story of Your Life," "Understand." Oh, and "Exhalation," of course. "Alchemist's Gate" is on my list to check out asap.

And your analysis is right on. Chiang basically takes a premise, changes reality so that the premise is true, and then takes it to its logical conclusion.

Which is an immense oversimplification of course, since I've tried the same thing and never gotten close to the same results. ;)

I've never read any Chiang, but your description reminds me of Jorge Luis Borges. Is that an apt comparison? If so I need to check out Chiang ASAP!

That's a pretty good comparison, actually! Chiang's works read more like regular stories than Borges' tend to, but Chiang has a similar way of twisting the world and a similar habit of blowing your mind.

I prefer my favorite Borges stories ("Library of Babel," "The Lottery in Babylon," "The Aleph") to my favorite Chiang stories, but that I even have to write that sentence says something. Definitely check him out!

Edit:
Was gonna try to give you a link to "Exhalation", which is a great intro to Chiang and used to be available free online, but it doesn't seem to be there any more. Huh.

That's cool, I requested Stories and Alchemist's Gate from my library. I should probably have them in a week or so.

Just finished Robopocalypse. It wasn't Dickens but it was one of the funnest books I've read in awhile. Think of it as a cross between World War Z and Terminator. I would love to see a film adaptation of it.

Fxp

Just finished Robopocalypse. It wasn't Dickens but it was one of the funnest books I've read in awhile. Think of it as a cross between World War Z and Terminator. I would love to see a film adaptation of it.

Next year, by Steven Spielberg.

Top Bottom