• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

tipoo

Banned
A Memory Of Light, the last book in the Wheel of Time series. If any of you like A song of Ice and Fire or lord of the Rings, read this series.

Can anyone convince me to start Wheel of Time? I got the first 3 for Christmas and all I ever read about is people bitching about the pacing.

The pacing in book 10 is is widely criticized, the rest are pretty good. Yes the series is long, but if you like depth it's for you. The scope of the series, how everything comes together, nothing I've read matches it. I'd but Robert Jordan above George Martin. It's not something you'll finish in a few months for sure, the series is something you'll keep reading for a while. The payoff is very much worth it, the last three books have been absolutely incrediballs.

Just started book 2 of the wheel of time series. Book 1 was alright, although it didn't pull me in as much as I thought it would. Could be I'm just spoiled after reading ASOIF series 4 times over.

The first book was fairly generic fantasy, by the second and third you start to see how deep the rabbit hole goes

murakami-underground-cover.jpg

really good nonfiction. The only thing that bothers me is Murakami feels such a bias toward the victims that he seems totally unable to describe them as anything but model Japanese citizens to a man. That leaves the reader to have to read between the lines to try to suss out what kind of people they really are. The thing that keeps me interested in this book is reading about the lives of these random people who just happened to be on the subway that day in 1995 and how they all intersect for that brief time.

Bowflex

The fact that anyone supports Hillary boggles my mind... I have tested between 130-160 on IQ tests
First sci-fi read of the year. Pretty alright so far.

images

Finished this overhyped collection of short stories:

Tenth of December: Stories by George Saunders

Not worth the hype. The writing is decent, but all the stories kinda feel the same in the way that Murakami's books all feel the same. If you like that, then you might like this collection. It was definitely not for me.

I don't see how you could call it overhyped when the titular story in the collection is the most moving story written this century.

I don't see how you could call it overhyped when the titular story in the collection is the most moving story written this century.

I read the titular story first b/c everyone was raving about it, but I was just kind of meh about it. Maybe I have no heart, but I thought the
kid was annoying in a super earnest kid-way and the old guy could have found a better way to off himself. And then he didn't go through with his plan! That's even worse b/c now his family has to be super vigilant about him. It would be more poignant if he had succeeded in dying.

I thought the Simplical Girl Diaries was better, but still found the dad and mom to be f-ups and irresponsible.

With most of the stories, I felt like he was 75% of the way there, but dropped the ball on making it thought-provoking or heartfelt.

edit: Have you read Story of Your Life in this collection yet? I read it a few years ago and that strikes me as a better contender for most moving story written this century.

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang

I read the titular story first b/c everyone was raving about it, but I was just kind of meh about it. Maybe I have no heart, but I thought the
kid was annoying in a super earnest kid-way and the old guy could have found a better way to off himself. And then he didn't go through with his plan! That's even worse b/c now his family has to be super vigilant about him. It would be more poignant if he had succeeded in dying.

Hm. I guess I could see that from a plot standpoint, but the prose in the last few pages(?, I was on a Kindle, who knows) carried it above and beyond for me. Just curled up on the subway platform rocking back and forth. Just so honest and true about the ultimate goodness in the world and what love means to people. I was just blown away by its earnestness.

I thought the Simplical Girl Diaries was better, but still found the dad and mom to be f-ups and irresponsible.

With most of the stories, I felt like he was 75% of the way there, but dropped the ball on making it thought-provoking or heartfelt.

edit: Have you read Story of Your Life in this collection yet? I read it a few years ago and that strikes me as a better contender for most moving story written this century.

Stories of Your Life and Others by Ted Chiang

I'll have to check it out

:)

Arment

I quit reading The Guns of Avalon, which is book 2 of the Chronicles of Amber.

I just found it a bit boring and wanted a change of pace. Been reading only fantasy for about 3 years straight now.

So I started Foundation, finally. Totally engrossing. I'm glad I switched over.

Syrinx

I don't usually post in these threads, but I finally finished In the Garden of Beasts (Erik Larson) today, so I thought I'd post what I thought about it here.

I remember halfway through the book forming an opinion of Ambassador Dodd that wasn't nearly as positive as the one I finished with. I think it was his second meeting with Hitler where this opinion became my defining of him for awhile. I thought that Dodd was a good man, but one that was in completely over his head and one that was not at all ready or qualified to do the job he was doing as ambassador to the Third Reich, a job that was easily the most difficult and delicate position for a foreign ambassador at the time. I thought that him still thinking Hitler wanted peace was a sign that he was simply too naive and idealistic to do the job.

What I realized by the end of the book was that Dodd, frankly, was one of the first people in America to fully grasp and understand what Hitler and the Nazi regimes were planning by the time he left his post. I remember being struck by his prediction in 1937 (I believe) that if Hitler and Germany went unchecked for much longer, that Poland, Romania, and Czechoslovakia would be invaded. I came to see him as a much brighter and, frankly, much more courageous person by the end. To refuse to attend major Nazi rallies and political events of the sort were almost a death wish, even for a major foreign diplomat. My admiration for Dodd at the end was also mixed with disgust toward FDR's State Department, and how by the end they were refusing to take him seriously while he was issuing such forecasting that ended up being right on the mark. The ambassador they hired in his place was, appropriately enough after the State Department's treatment of Dodd, pretty much a Nazi propaganda mouthpiece.

This book also taught me a few things I didn't really realize about the Third Reich. Mainly, just how tumultuous everything was in the early years. All of the backstabbing and paranoia among these Nazis for their peers, and how that ultimately led to the Night of the Long Knives. Goes to show that Hitler's reign could have been quelled early on if other nations had looked at the picture and realized what was growing in Germany.

I really love, both in this book and in The Devil in the White City how Larson is able to create this foreshadowing and foreboding sense of dread, all with novelistic history. He's able to perfectly convey the decay of Germany into what it became by the end of Dodd's stay compared to the beginning (where it wasn't exactly spring roses to begin with).

Though I loved this book, I don't think I loved it quite as much as White City. I'd say the two reasons why are: 1. White City taught me about a time and place in history that I really knew nothing about. Funnily enough, I first learned who H.H. Holmes was...here on GAF of all places. I already knew about most of the major players here, though the story as seen through Dodd's eyes is certainly one I enjoyed. 2. White City had this amazing contrast every other chapter between Daniel Burnham and H.H. Holmes, two completely different people planning and doing very different things. This book goes for telling the story from the eyes of Dodd and his daughter Marsha, which didn't quite leave the same impression as the great contrast between Burnham and Holmes. Marsha's stories are interesting though and the book is better for having them.

White City and Garden of Beasts are the only books of Larson's that I've read, but he really has become one of my favorite authors through them. His writing style is one that so perfectly tows the line between fiction and non-fiction for me that I so vastly enjoy reading his works. I have Thunderstruck, and will certainly read that at some point.

DagsJT

Finished "Old Man's War" and finally gave it 3/5. As I said earlier, it started as a 5/5 and it was hugely enjoyable. But then it lost a lot of its charm and humour and felt like it switched up completely from being about the characters and their personalities and more to the sci-fi war etc. Still a good book but not what I wanted and hoped it'd continue to be.

Now over to "Ken Grimwood - Replay".

Shiv47

Currently juggling multiple books, but there are the two I've been reading the last couple days:

51uoV11grGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Quite an interesting look at the position of keeper; I've always liked Wilson's stuff.

51p4w37cmNL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The novel Welles' Lady From Shanghai was based on; as a Welles fan, I've always wanted to read the source novel, but it was out of print for years. It was reprinted in England a couple years back by Penguin. A very quick read (only about 130 pages). Good stuff if you like classic noirs.

Finished a short little sci fi read:

The Wandering Earth by Cixin Liu

I got it for free ages ago from the Kindle store and never got to reading it till now. It's less about science-sci-fi and more like speculative-fiction sci-fi. I loved the rich descriptions of how Earth's atmosphere, topology, and vegetation changed throughout all the different orbits and phases of wandering.

Mumei

I am on page 713 of The Complete Dinosaur. I have learned that dinosaurs are way more awesome than I thought.

I am also on page 198 of the Everyman's Library Pocket Poets edition of Sonnets: From Dante to the Present. It is good, though my taste in sonnets is apparently not as catholic as it could be.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Serious question
that I mean no harm in asking, I promise!
: does the concept of "speed reading" apply to novels/works of fiction, or does the lower comprehension level make it a sin in the world of reading for pleasure? As I stated, I don't mean it in a way to "read more books as fast as I can" as a way of hindering my enjoyment and appreciation for the work, but it's something that I've been interested in improving.

Seems like it'd be counter-productive, unless you think plot is the only thing that matters in a novel.

This reminds me of an ex who would always talk about how she'd plow through books super quickly. But she also revealed that she'd skip descriptive passages and all that. To me that's missing the point. It's like doing your own cliff notes and just skimming the material.

Seems like it'd be counter-productive, unless you think plot is the only thing that matters in a novel.

This reminds me of an ex who would always talk about how she'd plow through books super quickly. But she also revealed that she'd skip descriptive passages and all that. To me that's missing the point. It's like doing your own cliff notes and just skimming the material.

I can see the point of speed reading/skimming books. Some of the long books I read *cough* Peter Hamilton *cough* Stephenson *cough* have uneven pacing and some parts are super slow and a slog to get through. I don't mind skimming through those parts till the story picks up again. And then if where I pick up, I feel like I missed something, I go back and re-read the parts I skimmed.

edit: Also, if you tend to read a lot of series, it seems like the beginning of any non-first book in the series is just catchup anyway, so I end up skimming those.

androidcandy

Neo Member
Finished Replay, my god that was a incredible book. Loved it from start to finish.

I just googled this, and actually sounds really interesting I will check this out.

I am reading:
2iIFUWZ.jpg

Really liking it so far the depth of the magic system is really engaging. Excited to see whats gonna happen I'm like close to half way through it now, its getting interesting.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Finished a re-read of Rafael Sabatini's Captain Blood. Still great. Section near the end that I had originally disliked wasn't anywhere near as tedious as I recalled it being.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm going to finish Mistborn Book 1 today. I'll start reading The Well of Ascension (Mistborn Book 2) next.

Nezumi

Still reading:

Shadow_of_the_torturer.jpg

About halfway through and I'm still somewhat torn. There is something that I like about this book, no doubt or I wouldn't have read on thus far. But I can't help to feel that the world Wolfe describes is somewhat empty. I have great trouble imaginening how it looks like and the mix of SciFi anf Fantasy doen not help at all.

ShaneB

Yeah, will probably end up being my book of the year, doubt anything will top it.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it.

I most certainly did enjoy it, thanks for bringing it up originally. Much appreciated!

Deciding what to read next, maybe a return to non-fiction/gaming stuff and i'll read 'Masters of Doom', and then tackle 'Leviathan Wakes' maybe.

edit: Recommendations welcome also, maybe a good mystery/whodunnit.

8bit

Knows the Score
In the last week I've read Warren Ellis - Gun Machine, which although a crime procedural at heart has some inventive characters and was pretty good overall.

Also, Hugh Howey - Third Shift (I think book 8 of Wool), a largely depressing dystopian future but a well realised story which ties back into it's previous tomes.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Yeah, it was more a point of curiosity. Since my wife has recently bought a few paperbacks, I get to use her Kindle. I LOVE reading on it, but it sort of made me think about the idea of "faster reading". I'm not a slow reader, but I'm not nearly as capable of plowing through a novel like some people.

LeBoef

the only book i read in january. its strange to finish a series i started about 10 years before.
i like it even though some plots ended abrupt after years of building them up.

51WsqiEufZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

mu cephei

The Knife of Never Letting Go is on sale today for $1.99 One of the best YA book series out there, much better than Hunger Games. I highly recommend it.

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Wow, yes.

I'm reading this at the moment (not the ebook, though) and it is brilliant. Brilliant. I've been trying to think of ways to recommend it most accurately, and the closest I can come to it is a cross between the His Dark Materials trilogy and The Road. With some sort of action film thing thrown in. It has a kind of honesty to it that is so good.

Larsa

Read The Old Man and the Sea a couple of days ago and really loved it. Keeping up with that theme I started this obscure, hidden gem:

yB9HNhe.jpg

20% through and have adored what I have read. I'm legitemately surprised at how much I am enjoying it. Looking forward to getting some hot 19th century whaling tips.

Took a break from the Malazan series (which I absolutely love) to read through The Lord of the Rings trilogy for the first time since I was a young teen. I had forgotten so many things because of the movies, mostly that faramir and frodo are not nearly the whiny dicks they were made out to be in the movies. Both characters are way more noble, steadfast, and enjoyable, which the movies forgo for some drama. Also forgot just how much lore Tolkien managed to fit in the series, and definitely think it's time to read the silmarillion

Wow, yes.

I'm reading this at the moment (not the ebook, though) and it is brilliant. Brilliant. I've been trying to think of ways to recommend it most accurately, and the closest I can come to it is a cross between the His Dark Materials trilogy and The Road. With some sort of action film thing thrown in. It has a kind of honesty to it that is so good.

Yeah, it's an amazing series. I became really immersed in that world when I was reading them. It's one of the darkest series I've ever read and Peter Ness is a master at characterization.

It is kind of a struggle to recommend it, because even though it sounds kind of ho hum on the surface, it's actually incredibly deep and brilliant as you put it.

Mifune

Mehmber
Just started The Rise of Endymion. So far it's much less tedious than Endymion. Simmons is one hell of a writer. Too bad he's become a right-wing nutjob.

Recently finished Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness, which was pretty much sublime.

effzee

Just finished Cloud Atlas.

I loved it but there was some things that didn't sit right.

I'll spoiler tag but for those have read the book please answer some of the following questions/thoughts:

First it felt like it was building itself up for some big reveal that never comes. Going backwards through each 2nd part of a story was pretty inventive and a fun way to finish each story.

Secondly in Somni's Orison, I felt the ending where she knew it was all a set up was sort of tacked on and forced. If I understood it correctly its implied that she knew from the start, meaning when she was removed from Papa Song's that this whole thing was a huge set up to make the purebloods hate the fabricants even more. But why? The story already reveals a strong dislike for the fabricants and complete disregard of the way they are treated. Why would the gov't go out of its way for such an elaborate plan?

And how does Somni understand this when in her own (honest) retelling she mentions time after time when and where she became aware of certain realities. But right at the end we assume she knew it all along.

Are we to also assume the Union works hand in hand with the gov't or just that it exists only because the gov't allows and needs it to exist? I just find the idea the whole thing is some huge gov't cover up to be cheap. It sort of ruined what I found to be the best of the stories.

Would gaf recommend me to read up on the other books by David Mitchell?

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished Chris Hayes' "Twilight of the Elite". Had put it down for a while but finished it over the last couple days. My sister got me a signed (with a personal note to me) copy for christmas =). I thought it was pretty good, he lost my interest with some of the things he focused on, but overall fairly interesting and he calls for some pretty radical things towards the end.

Anyway, about to start this:

3Q4Vxb4.jpg

Nymerio

Started the first Dresden Files on sunday. I'm liking it so far, Dresden seems interesting but a bit of a whimp? I guess this leaves a lot of space to grow.

51FuI3ZgkCL._BO2,204,203,,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Finished this yesterday, which makes it my ninth book in january. I liked it and Dresden is pretty cool but I loath that police friend of his named Murphy. What a bitch.

I think I'll move straight on to Fools Moon.

Nymerio

Oh, yeah. I was raging throughout the book. Vampire attacks him: He somehow feels like it's his own fault because he walked over her feelings by asking her a question. Cop doesn't listen to him and gets hurt in the process and nearly kills him because she's stupid: His fault. Someone knows who is responsible for everything and doesn' tell him but starts crying once he/she gets confronted by him: "I walked over her feelings". What the hell.

Just finished Chris Hayes' "Twilight of the Elite". Had put it down for a while but finished it over the last couple days. My sister got me a signed (with a personal note to me) copy for christmas =). I thought it was pretty good, he lost my interest with some of the things he focused on, but overall fairly interesting and he calls for some pretty radical things towards the end.

Anyway, about to start this:

3Q4Vxb4.jpg

Introduction by Lorem Ipsum? LOL

Vyer

I thought it was really touching and sweet at the end, but other people have said it was creepy.

Which part? I didn't really have a problem with the ending.

though why did
Tommy raise his hand to the 'shadowy figures' as Kathy drove away

sgossard

Just finished this one

22322.jpg

and was very disappointed. Is the 3rd book in the series much better than this one?

Just started this one

149509.jpg

I'm about halfway through this, the first book was fantastic, it's going to take me a while to finish the entire series though.

80194-cover.jpg

Helmholtz

Finally reading significant amounts of a Dance with Dragons now. I like it a lot. It very much feels like an extension of AFFC, which I also liked. In particular I'm liking how big in scope the story is now, and how this broad story slowly becomes increasingly interconnected. It also provides some amazing world building. Stuff that really stands out so far are
Theon's chapters. Holy shit, that stuff is really disturbing.

Top Bottom