• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

KingGondo

Banned
Just finished:

Battle-cry-of-freedom-pic1.jpg

I had always wanted to read a comprehensive Civil War history, and I'm glad I picked this one. The book is ~850 pages, it's absolutely crammed full of crucial information, yet still manages to maintain forward narrative momentum and drama. It also contains lots of background, setting the stage for the war itself for a good 150-200 pages.

Highly recommended.

I need a break from non-fiction though. Gonna read 2-3 shorter novels then dive back in with the first Caro LBJ volume.

Cryptonomicon%281stEd%29.jpg

I'm blowing through Ceryptonomicon at a rate of around 80 pages a day. Maybe I'll finish it this year! I wonder if it's possible for me to like a book any more than this one. I love how Stephenson is just obviously having a good time writing it while still making the occasional point.

The Capt'n Crunch chapter had me dying of laughter, in public no less. Will likely live on as one of my favorite passages in any book.

ShaneB

Reading Leviathan Wakes, as of now(150pg) it's boring shit. Reminds me of Peter F.Hamiltons Pandoras Star. Think Ill stick with classic stuff here on out.

Can you elaborate a bit more? I've got LW on my to read list someday, so just wondering why you think it's boring after hearing so many other great reviews.

I think I'll be done Great Gatsby today, really loving it so far, and glad it turned out to be a much more smaller scale story than I expected.

Think I'll read Replay next since that seems so fascinating to me, but also, my Star Wars nerdom is kicking up, and I say it everytime but I might finally read the Thrawn trilogy next.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Leviathan Wakes as well, didn't really like it.

Felt like a mediocre connect-the-dots detective novel in space.

Now reading Stanislaw Lem's Solaris

200px-SolarisNovel.jpg

Can you elaborate a bit more? I've got LW on my to read list someday, so just wondering why you think it's boring after hearing so many other great reviews.

For me it was just a boring universe (solar system really, since that's as far as humans have made it) 2 boring POV characters and an extremely boring mystery story densely written that turns out to be probably the dumbest reveal ever. I don't know, I didn't like it at all.

Think I'll read Replay next since that seems so fascinating to me, but also, my Star Wars nerdom is kicking up, and I say it everytime but I might finally read the Thrawn trilogy next.

I loved Replay. It's the type of book I will end up reading a few times over.

Hmm Amazon has a New York Review Club book on sale today The Siege of Krishnapur

The Siege of Krishnapur by J.G. Farrell

ShaneB

Finished Leviathan Wakes as well, didn't really like it.

Felt like a mediocre connect-the-dots detective novel in space.

For me it was just a boring universe (solar system really, since that's as far as humans have made it) 2 boring POV characters and an extremely boring mystery story densely written that turns out to be probably the dumbest reveal ever. I don't know, I didn't like it at all.

I loved Replay. It's the type of book I will end up reading a few times over.

Fair enough on the LW comments. I think I'll read it someday regardless, but I'll keep it on the virtual shelf for now.

Ratrat

Fair enough on the LW comments. I think I'll read it someday regardless, but I'll keep it on the virtual shelf for now.
I haven't finished it like the others but the writing isn't very good, not horrible but when you've read similar books that were over long and unrewarding you become less tolerant. The characters are especially dull.

For what it's worth I really enjoyed Leviathan Wakes. While far from my favorite book, I wholeheartedly disagree that its universe is boring. To be fair, I'm a sucker for the still-in-Sol-system expansionist-strife-period setting and will take it over galactic-spanning FTL jumps any day of the week, but the LW Universe is really intriguing. Though KSR's 2312 is probably a more successful take on this era in future humanity, I wouldn't tell anyone to pass up Leviathan Wakes. It's a solid mix of a noir mystery in a science fiction setting. And Caliban's War is even better. The comment about poor writing really struck me as odd. Occasionally you can tell that the book is written by two authors when the quieter voice breaks through but even taking that into account it's a wonderfully well written pair of books.

Edit: And those covers! Get that stupid George R.R. Martin quote off of LW and it's flawless.

ShaneB

New book club thread for February through March. I think everyone's going to be excited! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510146

Sounds good to me, I may participate :)

Started Replay, and after just a couple chapters, I am definitely hooked. Thanks for this recommendation, know I'm going to love it.

I set my goodreads goal at 12 books this year, and it feels like I'm going to blow past that. lol

For what it's worth I really enjoyed Leviathan Wakes. While far from my favorite book, I wholeheartedly disagree that its universe is boring. To be fair, I'm a sucker for the still-in-Sol-system expansionist-strife-period setting and will take it over galactic-spanning FTL jumps any day of the week, but the LW Universe is really intriguing. Though KSR's 2312 is probably a more successful take on this era in future humanity, I wouldn't tell anyone to pass up Leviathan Wakes. It's a solid mix of a noir mystery in a science fiction setting. And Caliban's War is even better. The comment about poor writing really struck me as odd. Occasionally you can tell that the book is written by two authors when the quieter voice breaks through but even taking that into account it's a wonderfully well written pair of books.

Edit: And those covers! Get that stupid George R.R. Martin quote off of LW and it's flawless.

The bolded is probably what sells me on still reading it. Sounds like a perfect mix for me. I'll get around to it someday :p

Mumei

So far this January, I have read:

Tarzan of the Apes, by Edward Rice Burroughs
Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy, by James Stark
The Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan
Challenging Casanova, by Andrew Smiler
Great Singers on Great Singing, by Jerome Hines
Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin, by Timothy Snyder
Invisible Cities, by Italo Calvino
Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn (Vol 1), by Grant Morrison
The Annotated Hobbit: The Hobbit, or, There And Back Again, by J.R.R. Tolkien
To What Miserable Wretches Have I Been Born: Revenge Poetry for Babies and Toddlers, by Suzanne Weber

I haven't really been updating in this topic, though. Invisible Cities is my early favorite fiction book; Bel Canto: A History of Vocal Pedagogy is prooobably my favorite non-fiction although Bloodlands: Europe Between Hitler and Stalin did an admirable job of making comprehensible the sufferings and deaths of tens of millions of people. There were more than a few times I was brought to tears reading it and trying to wrap my head around it.

I'm reading The Complete Dinosaur, Second Edition, which is an absolutely incredible 1200 page book about all things dinosaurs - from the history of early discoveries to discoveries by continent to osteology to reconstructing musculature to taxonomy to paleoneurology to technology and the study of dinosaurs and so forth. There's some stuff that makes my head spin a bit, particularly the intricacies of the chapters about anatomy, but it's been a fascinating read so far.

Nymerio

Finished both the second and third Twenty Palace Society books yesterday.

51Z0AGhbbpL.jpg

51RaTRzEOzL.jpg

I like Ray and Annalise, sucks that the series is canceled. And just when shit was starting to go down.

Burger

Just started:

51kJ20tRbnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Finished this morning. Really disappointed, considering I'm a fan of his other work.

It was good enough that I didn't give up, but I seriously questioned where the book was going in the last quarter. 2 stars.

Joe Hill's book HORNS is $1.99 on one of today's Kindle deals.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036F6WYO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Picked it up, thanks.

Finished this morning. Really disappointed, considering I'm a fan of his other work.

It was good enough that I didn't give up, but I seriously questioned where the book was going in the last quarter. 2 stars.

That's disappointing to hear. The premise sounded cool enough that I impulse bought it awhile back and haven't gotten to it yet.

nimbus

Banned
13872.jpg

Read about 1/3 of it months ago and put it down due to me not being in a reading mood. Picked it back up again during the last week and re-reading a few chapters just to refresh myself.

Burger

That's disappointing to hear. The premise sounded cool enough that I impulse bought it awhile back and haven't gotten to it yet.

If it had been condensed down to half its size, it would have been a good first few chapters of a Peter F Hamilton book.

It felt like a drawn out introduction to a much larger story really. I understand it's the first of a trilogy but it seems like a wasted opportunity.

ymmv

Banned
I loved the French movie "Tell No One", I really liked "Caught", the first book by Harlan Coben I read, so now I'm reading ...:

n56961.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I'm finally going to read the third Hunger Games book. I really hate leaving the series open like this.

Serious question
that I mean no harm in asking, I promise!
: does the concept of "speed reading" apply to novels/works of fiction, or does the lower comprehension level make it a sin in the world of reading for pleasure? As I stated, I don't mean it in a way to "read more books as fast as I can" as a way of hindering my enjoyment and appreciation for the work, but it's something that I've been interested in improving.

DagsJT

The start of "Old Man's War" was great, really enjoyable and a 5/5. But since it's changed and it's all missions etc now, it's probably dropped to 3/5 rating. Hope it picks up.

gdt

Just finished Way of Kings, the second half of the book was awesome. Can't wait to see where this goes next. Some of the reveals at the end were pretty damn awesome.

I think I'm finally going to read the third Hunger Games book. I really hate leaving the series open like this.

Serious question
that I mean no harm in asking, I promise!
: does the concept of "speed reading" apply to novels/works of fiction, or does the lower comprehension level make it a sin in the world of reading for pleasure? As I stated, I don't mean it in a way to "read more books as fast as I can" as a way of hindering my enjoyment and appreciation for the work, but it's something that I've been interested in improving.

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you mean but imo it really depends on the type of reading.

If it was a textbook, political opinion piece or something similarly dense then it obviously warrants a very different style of reading then fiction like the Hunger Games.

If I start reading fast while doing school reading then I begin to miss important points and lose track of the flow.

Reading fiction fast is usually what happens when I am really enjoying the book and I can usually still comprehend what is happening.

KingGondo

Banned
Just finished Way of Kings, the second half of the book was awesome. Can't wait to see where this goes next. Some of the reveals at the end were pretty damn awesome.
Ordered this blind on GAF's recommendation, this post makes me even more excited to read it.

I need to read 3-4 shorter books though... It seems like everything I read now is 800+ pages so I probably only average 10 books/year. My goal this year is 26.

Nymerio

Started the first Dresden Files on sunday. I'm liking it so far, Dresden seems interesting but a bit of a whimp? I guess this leaves a lot of space to grow.

51FuI3ZgkCL._BO2,204,203,,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU03_.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Started the first Dresden Files on sunday. I'm liking it so far, Dresden seems interesting but a bit of a whimp? I guess this leaves a lot of space to grow.

I'll spoiler this just in case, but just a comment on his wimpiness as the series progresses.

he gets less and less wimpy as the series progresses.

Wiktor

If you like the first one you will love the series. It gets so much better with latter volumes

Nymerio

Sounds great and I'm liking it so far. Is there some kind of overarching storyline connecting the books or are they all standalone?

Nezumi

I have to second, that if you like this one, you will like the rest. Well the second one is a bit weak, but starting with 3 this series really kicks of. And if you call my literary crush a whimp one more time... ;)

Edit: Every book is more or less a stand alone, but there are overarching elements that are present in the books. Depending on the book stronger or weaker. In my opinion this is one of the things that Butcher handles really well.

I finished Storm Front just last week. The beginning was a little bit slow but after the first half the story started to become more and more interesting. The combination of fantasy- and detectivenovel works perfectly. At the moment I'm reading Fool Moon and so far this one is better than Storm Front.

Fjordson

I didn't really like Storm Font, but everyone tells me it's weak compared to most of the other Dresden books, so I may have to check out one or two more before I abandon the series (since I think the premise is pretty neat).

thomaser

Came back from a short trip to Oslo with a bunch of books. Didn't plan to buy anything, it just happened. Won't be able to read them for years, though, due to the backlog, but it's always nice to expand the collection! Here's what I bought:

- Chinua Achebe: All Things Fall Apart
- Samuel Beckett: Collected Works (Grove paperback edition... has basically everything: novels, plays. poems and various other texts. But it doesn't have the introductions by other authors that were in the hardback edition.)
- Roberto Bolano: The Savage Detectives
- Clare Connors: Literary Theory
- Jared Diamond: The World Until Yesterday
- Junot Diaz: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- Tomasi di Lampedusa: The Leopard
- David McCandless: Information is Beautiful
- Gregory David Roberts: Shantaram (The author's life story and the story behind the writing of this book is incredibly fascinating!)
- Hunter S. Thompson: Hell's Angels

CiSTM

Banned
- Samuel Beckett: Collected Works (Grove paperback edition... has basically everything, both novels, plays. poems and various other texts. But it doesn't have the introductions by other authors that were in the hardback edition.)

Isn't it missing a lot if it only has two novels? Great haul btw. Reminds me that I need to pick up Diamonds new book.

SmoothCB

51zqyRk4ZXL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started the series when the Eye of the World came out and was deeply involved in the 90's. Stopped around Crown of Swords, I think. Doing the whole series all the way through now--I feel that I owe it to my younger self! I don't give a fuck if it drags for a bit. I must finish it.

TheWraith

I have to second, that if you like this one, you will like the rest. Well the second one is a bit weak, but starting with 3 this series really kicks of.

This is so true, in the 3rd the whole world suddenly opens up so much more, and is what hooked me to the series. I also loved the way the 3rd book started. The first two were so-so in hindsight when compared IMHO.

Top Bottom