• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

gate777

Just started book 2 of the wheel of time series. Book 1 was alright, although it didn't pull me in as much as I thought it would. Could be I'm just spoiled after reading ASOIF series 4 times over.

DukeBobby

X3VI2ht.jpg

Just finished reading this. A difficult read at times, due to all of the intertextual references and the complexity of the intertwining storylines, but I absolutely loved it. I look forward to reading his other books.

Could anybody recommend some other post-modern detective fiction, in a similar vein to Auster?

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finally finished off Debit and Credit by Gustav Freytag. Feels like forever, but still an amazing book about the power and consequence of business/credit.

And started War of the Worlds by H. G. Wells tonight and so far it's really sucked me into it.

61fHdEmHrIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-70,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I finished Mr. penumbras 24 hour Bookstore yesterday. It seemed inert to me. It was similar to a Crichton novel in that there's all these brilliant people with access to fantastic tech trying to solve a mystery, but it didn't have the plot or villain to drive the book along and make you forget about the improbable coincidences that string you along like a good Crichton novel does. Not recommended.

desku

436005.jpg

Making slow and steady progress on it. Loving it so far. Can anyone recommend something similar that I can start on after I've finished this?

Sleepy

Kind of a side note but what do people here generally think of his collection Labyrinths? It's been on my wishlist for a while since I saw it in one of these threads months ago.

I would just buy his collected fictions, well I just did anyway, as it has all his short stories. And it is just 14.95 on Amazon.

I finished Mr. penumbras 24 hour Bookstore yesterday. It seemed inert to me. It was similar to a Crichton novel in that there's all these brilliant people with access to fantastic tech trying to solve a mystery, but it didn't have the plot or villain to drive the book along and make you forget about the improbable coincidences that string you along like a good Crichton novel does. Not recommended.

I had somewhat similar feelings. I enjoyed it...but it relies too heavily on Google as a company having all the resources in the world. I don't know, maybe they do, but it makes everything far too easy for the characters.

The book did have a lot of clever, fun ideas, though.

Movement

Currently reading Norwegian Wood, obviously by Murakami. This is my first time reading a novel by him, and I'm absolutely in love with his story telling already.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Just finished World War Z. Thought it was OK, the beginning was fun, but towards the last 1/3 of the novel I felt like I was kinda done with it.

Now reading:

51v7XiR%2BaXL.jpg

Got it from the local library, which has only Volume 2. Thinking of picking both hardcovers up as they seem to be already quite hard to find.

Narag

Old Man's War by John Scalzi

Knocked this out after seeing it recommended around here so often over the years. Glad I stuck with it because the last two-thirds delivered on what I expected it to be so well. Banter in the first was nearly too much though.

thomaser

436005.jpg

Making slow and steady progress on it. Loving it so far. Can anyone recommend something similar that I can start on after I've finished this?

David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest (quite a bit harder to read), Jonathan Franzen's Freedom (not as complex), Philip Roth's American Pastoral and John Updike's Rabbit-novels (don't take my word for it on Roth and Updike - I haven't read them yet, but they are often mentioned along with Delillo and the others).

Minus_Me

YjgZsr8.jpg

Started this yesterday. Enjoying it so far, and would recommend to anyone looking for a fun read. No where near as daunting as reading Gravity's rainbow.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just finished

PataqWE.jpg

Out of his three sequels, I still like Heroes the best, followed but this and in third Best Served Cold.
Pretty cool western vibe to it, was kinda difficult NOT picturing everyone with a southern accent and six shooters instead of swords and crossbows.
Also love
Logen returning and being a total fucking boss

Also read

4C1Z1IB.jpg

At the beginning I felt like it was trying way too hard to be Hitchhikers Guide...but by the time I finished I was really digging it. Loved the glossary at the back that listed everyone's playlist, a cool touch.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Currently in the middle of The Iron Council. It's Second book of China Mieville I have read, the first being The City and The City. I have been enjoying it quite a bit. The world is really interesting, the different races and remade are very cool.

0330492527.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Sir, you are reading this in the wrong order (sort of)

Perdido Street Station and The Scar are the first two books set in the world. Although they are somewhat unrelated.

Finished: House of Suns. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Reynolds is really good at creating epic universes. Great ending too.
4176SyyyYfL.jpg

Starting: Mistborn: The Final Empire. Everyone gushes over these, so I'm going to give it a try. I don't want to burn myself out on Space Opera so a change of scenery will be good.
68428.jpg

ShaneB

Finished Marooned in Realtime. I thought it was ok, I guess I was expecting more. Some confusion at the start, it picked up, and then dragged on, but I was hooked enough to marathon the final chapters.

Now to decide what's next.

Nymerio

Finished I Suck at Girls yesterday and started Heart-Shaped box.

51r78VLgcfL.jpg

I'm at the point where he just got the box. I did not sleep well yesterday. I hope it manages to keep up the amount of creepiness.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle

51r78VLgcfL.jpg

I'm at the point where he just got the box. I did not sleep well yesterday. I hope it manages to keep up the amount of creepiness.
I just finished this. You are in for a treat!

ShaneB

I have the book for both of you ...

Bar Brawler by David Lee Abbott

I like how there is a misspelling in the title.

I have no doubt it's a literary masterpiece :p

Decided to start reading "The Great Gatsby". Was in the mood for a classic, and since the Idle Thumbs just did their book club podcast on it, figure it makes sense to dive right in.

edit: Also, I really love browsing the goodreads site, so again, would love for any friends there :) add me :D

eattomorro

Neo Member
Finished off War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells. For me it was a little long in the tooth in parts, but overall really enjoyable and thought provoking.

And now to enter the world of the mafia with The Godfather by Mario Puzo.

61JSNc99rUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

EdmondD

51r78VLgcfL.jpg

Is this the same Joe Hill that writes the comic Locke and Key? Stephen Kings son. Because I love Locke and Key.

Just got finished the Dark Tower novel - The Wind in the Keyhole by Stephen King. I must admit that I was worried that him going back to the Dark Tower was going to be pretty bad (like the last three turned out) but I actually enjoyed it a lot. The two interconnected stories were pretty good and I really got into it. The frame story, while nice to hang out with the old gang, was not that great -- I agree with some criticism that it read almost like fan fiction. Overall pretty good, I recommend it.

Nymerio

So I've finished Hear-Shaped Box.
I loved the beginning and I was creeped out good when he first saw the ghost but it did not manage to hold that level. After the first encounter it just kinda lost the magic. I still like the book very much, I just wish it had been a bit more on the scary/creepy side.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.
Amazing book so far. Only 50% through tho.

Earlier this month I read Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Great book, with a really interesting story. And it may sound weird, but I definitely recommend this book to Harry Potter fans. I don't know, maybe the London setting brought back potter memories, but the whole time I read this book I was thinking about Harry Potter. So if you know any Potter fans that are trying to read something, recommend them Neverwhere.

God I love my Kindle. At this rate I think I'll be reading about 3 books a month. Which is amazing because I used to only read about 3-5 a year.

Currently reading:

Quiet the power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking - first few chapters on leadership, group work were annoying but then the book get's a lot better. I kept nodding as I read it...only about 34% done with it.

The universe doesn't give a fuck about you - got it for free off amazon, small book, kinda funny for people who are feeling down and whatnot

Change your Brain, Change your body - good self-help book

Also read a ton of sample books off kindle, sadly don't have the $$ to buy them all atm... will update that list later

Burger

Finished: House of Suns. Awesome, awesome, awesome. Reynolds is really good at creating epic universes. Great ending too.

House of Suns was really great. Probably my favourite of his, after the short story Diamond Dogs.

Enjoy the Mistborn series!

Divius

10825907.jpg

Finished Day By Day Armageddon: Shattered Hourglass. The style-change in narrative compared to the first two installments in this horror-trilogy took some getting used to. I think the diary style was what made the first two parts unique and interesting, so I was sad to see it go. I also liked that the first part was very 'small' and intimate as where the second part and especially this third part keep getting 'bigger' (as in; more locations/storylines/characters etc). It had some fine parts and I enjoyed reading it, but I still thought it was a step down.

4671.jpg

Last night I read the first couple of chapters from The Great Gatsby, enjoying it so far.

Mumei

I have no doubt it's a literary masterpiece :p

Decided to start reading "The Great Gatsby". Was in the mood for a classic, and since the Idle Thumbs just did their book club podcast on it, figure it makes sense to dive right in.

edit: Also, I really love browsing the goodreads site, so again, would love for any friends there :) add me :D

I actually have no idea who you are, but REQUEST SENT anyway. Our tastes are 62% similar according to the 9 whole books we have in common!

Moonglow by Kristen Callihan

Finished this quick book. Girl falls for boy. Girl discovers super power. Boy is a werewolf and oh so dangerous. I *think* I liked it better than the first in the series just because the main love interest didn't have an ice-penis or whatever it was. But I'm sick of werewolves having ridiculous Scottish accents. Will probably move on to the third book in the series just so I can have some closure w/ what happened to the other sister.

I just finished this:

586616.jpg

The author is an Electrical Engineer by trade, and this contributes to the lion's share of the comedy throughout. Beckmann is ridiculously biased in favor of the practical application of mathematics, falling all over Archimedes in the beginning of the book and going non-stop from there. The history of Pi is the history of humanity, and this is a good overview, touching on many of the actors who contributed to it over the centuries. His admiration for Newton and Euler shine through, rightfully so. But the best part of the book is his seething hatred for tyrannical regimes. Commentary on the Roman Empire, Muslim conquests, the Christian Church, the Soviets - all contribute hilariously to this text. I doubt I would have enjoyed it as much without it.

On a math kick right now, so this showed up today:

15701297.jpg

And just ordered this:

6022968.jpg

ShaneB

I actually have no idea who you are, but REQUEST SENT anyway. Our tastes are 62% similar according to the 9 whole books we have in common!

Basically GRRM and Jon Krakauer. Well that's not bad at all :p

Friend Request is much appreciated :)

Top Bottom