• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2013)

Did you read the NYT profile of him from this weekend? It was pretty great.

Can't wait to read this. For what it's worth, I think Jim Shepard is somewhat similar to Saunders, if you've not read any of him...

They're my two faves, braj!!

And yeah, loved that profile, love how much ink the dude is getting.

Him and Shepard are the standard bearers of American Literature.

Mumei

I finished reading Rick Riordan's The Mark of Athena. It was fairly enjoyable, though he really suffers pretty heavily from telling - rather than showing - character development and emotional reactions. Even where he does both, it is rather heavy-handed because of how explicitly he explains motivations and connections. I still quite enjoyed it as the... Greek mythology young adult (or even children's lit) fanfiction that it is, though.

arkon

So instead now I'm reading:
n221411.jpg

Appears to be just as good as the first one. Great and interesting characters. And the poet/andat magic system is one of the most innovative I've read since Mistborn. So glad there are still two more books after this one. Anyone know if the dagger and coin series by the same autor holds up to this one?

Excuse the late reply. Just got posting privileges recently :)

I'd say they're different in feel. The Long Price was the author purposefully trying something a bit different from the norm (Asian-inspired setting and culture, andats, the structure of the series) whereas the Dagger and the Coin books are more traditional fantasy. Still good but has yet to reach the lofty heights of the Long Price for me.

kinn

Finished Leviathan Wakes a few weeks ago, and I don't know. It was okay. No grand giant ships or set pieces. Missing something. I'll probably read the sequel, hoping the things I cared about are resolved.

Now... I just finished Ship of Fools.
Ship_of_Fools%2C_Richard_Paul_Russo_%28book_cover%29.jpg

Oh goodness. The locations the author(s) take you in this story are so imaginative, disturbing, boring (in the best way) and had me foaming at the mouth for answers to the questions.
A lot of things are left unanswered, well, really just about everything. I guess I was okay with that except one thing. The machine that the Bishop is working in the first few chapters, they don't explain what it is? Is the idea that he is intrigued by mysteries, is it what activated the signal from the planet? Thinking about things, there is a lot of stuff that they describe and nothing comes of it but that in particular bothered me till the end.
Its very much the Space Opera version of LOST.

I'm not sure which Space Opera i'll read next, but I don't think it'll top the fun I had in Ship of Fools. Any recommendations are welcome.

yeeeeeessssssss

If anyone wants to friend me on Goodreads, I read a lot of Sci-Fi.

I also recommend anything by Reynolds.

And added you as a friend on goodreads!

Scottify

Started reading Life by Keith Richards, good so far. Waiting for A Memory of Light to show up then I'll switch to that.

Xtincthed

Neo Member
since i've finished A Dance With Dragons this summer, I haven't really gotten around to start anything new

I've finished "Geen Genade" , the biography from Andy van der Meijde (Dutch football player) and I have Chronicles of the Necromancer waiting for me

Piecake

Has me intrigued, and reads easier than I would have expected. Lots of names to keep straight though, and Dostoyevsky doesn't make it easy for you, since every seems to have two or three monikers at least.

My favorite novel

Dragon_cover.jpg

Reading this right now. Besides Teckla, I am loving this series. And i have to say, reading Orca was rather disturbing, but awesome considering that there are some real world parallels. I really can't name my favorite so far. Its basically...

1. All of them besides Teckla
last: Teckla

I finished reading Rick Riordan's The Mark of Athena. It was fairly enjoyable, though he really suffers pretty heavily from telling - rather than showing - character development and emotional reactions. Even where he does both, it is rather heavy-handed because of how explicitly he explains motivations and connections. I still quite enjoyed it as the... Greek mythology young adult (or even children's lit) fanfiction that it is, though.

Yea, I thought i would like those books because I like the overall premises of his books. Like you though, I really didnt like his writing style and his characters suffers because of it.

DagsJT

Is there a way of seeing what books people in the NeoGAF group have read the most? I'm finding a lot of my books in this thread and it'd be handy if I could go to a Goodreads page and see that 30 people have all read X book and rated it 4.5 etc.

Piecake

Damn, you're blazing through these. You're gonna catch up to me, soon--the last one I've read is Dzur.

Yea, I go through reading binges where that's pretty much all i do in my free time. It also helps that these books are quick, fast-paced reads and not as long as your typical modern 800 page fantasy 'epic'

Fjordson

Just added that to my wishlist. Also added 1356 but I'm disturbed that the price is set at $16.99 for the Kindle version. Not cool.
Haha, I just added it last night. Will probably read it soon, I love the premise.

And yeah, that's really steep for a Kindle book.

Yeah I read it a month or two ago. Breezed through it and found it thoroughly enjoyable. I'm a bit of a Hamilton fan, although I thought the Void trilogy was a bit shit.
Nice, thanks.

I don't have a ton of experience with Hamilton. Only read Judas Unchained. It was pretty good, though I can't say I was totally engaged the entire way through. Some parts fell a bit flat for me. Really felt its length by the time I got past the halfway mark.

Mumei

Yea, I thought i would like those books because I like the overall premises of his books. Like you though, I really didnt like his writing style and his characters suffers because of it.

Yeah. I mean, I'm still enjoying them because I sort of have low standards for them. I was recommended them by an eleven year old, and I didn't exactly expect the world of a pop lit series for kids in the first place. I know I would love them if I had first read them when I was that age, too.

BLAZER

Mark Owen - No Easy Day

No-Easy-Day-0912-mdn.jpg

Can't wait to see Zero Dark Thirty. Hope it'll be as good as Black Hawk Down.

We need more of these types of movie's, instead of the usual comic superheroes.

Piecake

Yeah. I mean, I'm still enjoying them because I sort of have low standards for them. I was recommended them by an eleven year old, and I didn't exactly expect the world of a pop lit series for kids in the first place. I know I would love them if I had first read them when I was that age, too.

Well, my expectations were basically Harry potter, but Greek mythology and it definitely didnt live up to that

I haven't picked up a book in a long time outside of class -- started Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami and I'm loving it. It has a similar melancholy to Catcher In The Rye, which is one of my favorites. I keep reading that it's the least "Murakami-like" of his books, though. Anyone have any recommendations of what I should read from him next?

Narag

Is it basically more Percy Jackson-style stuff?

Salsa

460x.jpg

so much fun. Its a much tighter/faster paced read than John. I like how the narration jumps back and forth through every character
including Molly the dog

thinking about starting Warm Bodies next, or Lullaby (thought I was gonna start that before Spiders but didnt).

Im really just into a fun silly novel mood.

Mumei

Is it basically more Percy Jackson-style stuff?

Essentially. I found it more interesting than the original trilogy so far just because he's been making use of some less well-known (at least by casual fans like me) Titans, demigods, various semi-legendary historical figures, and so forth, and that means that I'm not guessing everything the way I was at the beginning.

Mononoke

Banned
Long time Stephen King fan here. I've read almost all of his works, yet I've never read The Shining. Crazy I know. So just started today.

Nymerio

Finished Leviathan Wakes a few weeks ago, and I don't know. It was okay. No grand giant ships or set pieces. Missing something. I'll probably read the sequel, hoping the things I cared about are resolved.

Now... I just finished Ship of Fools.
Ship_of_Fools%2C_Richard_Paul_Russo_%28book_cover%29.jpg

Oh goodness. The locations the author(s) take you in this story are so imaginative, disturbing, boring (in the best way) and had me foaming at the mouth for answers to the questions.
A lot of things are left unanswered, well, really just about everything. I guess I was okay with that except one thing. The machine that the Bishop is working in the first few chapters, they don't explain what it is? Is the idea that he is intrigued by mysteries, is it what activated the signal from the planet? Thinking about things, there is a lot of stuff that they describe and nothing comes of it but that in particular bothered me till the end.
Its very much the Space Opera version of LOST.

I'm not sure which Space Opera i'll read next, but I don't think it'll top the fun I had in Ship of Fools. Any recommendations are welcome.

yeeeeeessssssss

If anyone wants to friend me on Goodreads, I read a lot of Sci-Fi.

I just started this as well. They just arrived at the first planet. Holy Crap.

Nezumi

Excuse the late reply. Just got posting privileges recently :)

I'd say they're different in feel. The Long Price was the author purposefully trying something a bit different from the norm (Asian-inspired setting and culture, andats, the structure of the series) whereas the Dagger and the Coin books are more traditional fantasy. Still good but has yet to reach the lofty heights of the Long Price for me.

No need to excuse :)
Nothing wrong with traditional in my opinion so I might check them out one day. But as of now I have still the other Long Price Books to read, not to name all the other stuff waiting for me. Ever since I got a kindle a just keep buying books. God knows when I'm gonna read them all.

O.DOGG

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. Somehow I never read it before and now I'm rectifying that.

Fjordson

osama.jpg

Not going to lie, it has held me so far, about 50% through. Not sure what to make of it.
This sounded so interesting based on the description and reviews on Goodreads, so I started reading it last night.

Strange book, but I like it. Sort of a surreal noir thriller or something.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Long time Stephen King fan here. I've read almost all of his works, yet I've never read The Shining. Crazy I know. So just started today.
Man, you are in for a real treat. I suggest reading it and watching the film at the same time. Both are so good, and there are some big differences.

gdt

Still reading Way of Kings....

On page 250...its starting to pick up now. After this I'm gonna tackle Ship of Fools (haven't read an SF book in forever) then either Before They Are Hanged or King of Thorns. Or start the Night Angel trilogy.

ShaneB

Seeing so many replies stating that "Ship of Fools" book, think that just got bumped way up my to-read list.

Finished Count Zero, blasted through 50 Year Sword, now moving on to Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation.

I'm going to kick the crap out of the seminal Sci-fi I haven't read. Next up will be Dune and Diamond Age.

Icomp

I have some kind of LOTR spree right now, I'm thinking of Middle-Earth like all day for some reason.

Bought Silmarillion on Audible yesterday and damn is it good. (I hope listening to books is good enough.)

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone read The Great North Road by Peter Hamilton? Is it able to stay interesting despite being over 1000 pages and the dual narrative?

I'm 3/4's of the way through now and I'm really enjoying it. I'm a huge Hamilton fan though, so take that as you will. The bigger page count on his novels is always a good thing to me. The more time I get to spend in his worlds the better.

I was wary of the dual narrative and introduction of some crime/mystery elements into the epic space melodrama formula... but it works. It almost pains me to say that as I can't stand crime dramas.

That said, I really hope that Hamilton goes back to the Pandora's Star type saga for his next novel.

Ok, the synopsis for this sounds pretty awesome, let me know how it is.

It's not bad so far, though a bit more juvenile than I was expecting. It's not very long so I'll probably finish it up in a day or two.

Also, I concur that Ship of Fools is awesome. Read that a month or so ago.

Necrovex

Continuing with some Murakami. If I live in Japan, I might as well gain some more knowledge on the culture and people.

51Kr9XN9YSL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

ShaneB

It's not bad so far, though a bit more juvenile than I was expecting. It's not very long so I'll probably finish it up in a day or two.

Also, I concur that Ship of Fools is awesome. Read that a month or so ago.

Yeah, I got a bit iffy when the description said "has everything teen readers are looking for", so I don't expect it to be anything high brow. Maybe I'll check it out sometime, but it's certainly not high on the list. And another positive review for Ship of Fools. Yup, it's now a must read.

thomaser

I haven't picked up a book in a long time outside of class -- started Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami and I'm loving it. It has a similar melancholy to Catcher In The Rye, which is one of my favorites. I keep reading that it's the least "Murakami-like" of his books, though. Anyone have any recommendations of what I should read from him next?

I'd start with A Wild Sheep Chase, which is a pretty short book in the style he's best known for: a blend between everyday realism and surrealism.

The most popular books outside Norwegian Wood seem to be The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore (both in the same style as The Wild Sheep Chase) or Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (leaning much more towards surrealism). Those books are much longer, though.

He also has a handful of really nice short-story collections: The Elephant Vanishes, After the Quake and Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. All three highly recommended if you enjoy shorter texts.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Count Zero, blasted through 50 Year Sword, now moving on to Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation.

I'm going to kick the crap out of the seminal Sci-fi I haven't read. Next up will be Dune and Diamond Age.

The Diamond Age is a kinda-sorta followup to Snow Crash. They're set in the same world though there's nothing particularly important past a few allusions, I don't think. If you haven't read Snow Crash you should definitely put that on the list, it's incredible.

tmarques

I read "Summer" last year. It was surprisingly modern and I loved her biting style. I plan to read more Wharton.

Yes! Woman is underrated. Definitely read Ethan Frome and The Age of Innocence. And I think The Old Maid is public domain and well worth reading (movie is great as well if you like 1930s Hollywood).

The Diamond Age is a kinda-sorta followup to Snow Crash. They're set in the same world though there's nothing particularly important past a few allusions, I don't think. If you haven't read Snow Crash you should definitely put that on the list, it's incredible.

I've already read Snow Crash and Anathem.

I'd start with A Wild Sheep Chase, which is a pretty short book in the style he's best known for: a blend between everyday realism and surrealism.

The most popular books outside Norwegian Wood seem to be The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, Kafka on the Shore (both in the same style as The Wild Sheep Chase) or Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World (leaning much more towards surrealism). Those books are much longer, though.

He also has a handful of really nice short-story collections: The Elephant Vanishes, After the Quake and Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. All three highly recommended if you enjoy shorter texts.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! Just finished Norwegian late last night -- definitely considering it as one of my possible favorites.

gabbo

5w3rH.jpg

Started this last week, wasn't sure how much STALKER/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to expect (not much it turns out), and haven't been let down in the slightest. Really enjoying how well developed the stalker character as well as the area around the zone actually are in the story.

Looking for a copy of The Iron Dream online, but have yet to find a copy under $60, which is waaay outside what I want to pay for a 40 year old used copy.

Earthcore by Scott Sigler on my new Kobo Glo.

"Deep below a desolate Utah mountain lies the largest platinum deposit ever discovered. A billion-dollar find, it waits for any company that can drill a world's record, three-mile-deep mine shaft. EarthCore is the company with the technology, the resources and the guts to go after the mother lode. Young executive Connell Kirkland is the company's driving force, pushing himself and those around him to uncover the massive treasure.

But at three miles below the surface, where the rocks are so hot they burn bare skin, something has been waiting for centuries. Waiting ... and guarding. Kirkland and EarthCore are about to find out firsthand why this treasure has never been unearthed."

arkon

No need to excuse :)
Nothing wrong with traditional in my opinion so I might check them out one day. But as of now I have still the other Long Price Books to read, not to name all the other stuff waiting for me.

Oh yeah. Don't get me wrong, traditional is fine too. I just feel like he hasn't quite hit the heights he did in the Long Price and part of that was the impressiveness of things like the andats. It felt fresh.

Ever since I got a kindle a just keep buying books. God knows when I'm gonna read them all.

This is the eternal struggle for me. I have so many things to read, watch, listen or to play that I can often spend more time thinking about what I want to do next than actually doing it.

Top Bottom