• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2014)

Masenkame

Time to ride the Mieville skyrail.
Whenever I was out walking at night during the month I was reading that book, I would check the skies with a wary eye.

The City & the City is mighty fine, as well. Totally different writing style - terse and muted - same great world building.

That sense of unease was grand. Will check out other that novel as well, have heard great things about it.

didn't like Perdido Street Station. Haven't given Mieville another shot.

You should at least try reading The Scar before writing him off.

I recommend you to check The Scar, The City and The City, and Embassytown. Those works feels much superior to Perdido Street Station for me. Also his short stories collection worth a try. Its filled with mad and intriguing idea, though not his best.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I'll probably read The Scar sometime this year, got lots of other authors to look into.

iiicon

I finished On Such a Full Sea yesterday. I'll have more to say in the 50 books topic when I get a chance to gather all my thoughts, but someone in this topic was curious about it so I'll say this: I enjoyed it, quite a lot actually, even if I thought it was an uneven work. It avoids many post-apocalyptic tropes simply by choosing a bold narrative style. It's told from the perspective of an unnamed resident of B-Mor, a district built from the ashes of what was once Baltimore for the sole purpose of serving the privileged few who live in gated and regulated charter homes, as he chronicles the life of Fan, a 16 year old worker who willingly leaves B-Mor one day in search of her boyfriend Reg. due to the narrative style, Chang-rae Lee is able to simultaneously contrast the lives of the haves and have-nots, explore the effects of this new dystopian society on daily life, chronicle the trials Fan goes through in uncharted territory, and suggest that Fan's decision has ignited a new defiant streak in the currently oppressed serving class. these moments where the narrator notes how the populace has quietly turned Fan into symbol for hope are perhaps my favourite part of the novel. Lee doesn't use the opportunity to go off on tangential philosophical musings - he leaves that for the reader, and I think the novel is better for it.

I'm not too hot on the overall plot but most everything around it is great. I've since picked up Purple Hibiscus after reading two other Adichie novels this month.

mumei why are you recommending a book about dinosaurs to me

Just finished the second Fairyland book. Initial impression is that I liked it better than the first. I think the best thing about the books is September herself, she's great. And apparently my library does have the third but it's on hold for someone else. But I must know how it all ends!
the Valente books? I love her but I haven't read these yet. She has a new story collection I'd like to read, too...

Wizerd

518ZGT854JL.jpg

After listening to the Mongol episodes on Hardcore History, I had to read more about this.

Mumei

mumei why are you recommending a book about dinosaurs to me

Because dinosaurs are awesome, and that book is awesome. Obviously.

the Valente books? I love her but I haven't read these yet. She has a new story collection I'd like to read, too...

The Melancholy of Mechagirl? Haven't read it either, though it looks interesting. What Valente books have you read?

He does this a lot. :p

Quiet, you. Shouldn't you be reading Pale Fire?

Piecake

518ZGT854JL.jpg

After listening to the Mongol episodes on Hardcore History, I had to read more about this.

Ive been trying to find a good Mongolian Empire book to read, and that definitely seems like the most popular one. The description on Amazon is totally putting me off though. I prefer history that tries to give accurate accounts and analysis instead of ones that take an extreme side to challenge views and change the debate. I have a hard time reconciling the rosy picture that the book depicts against the Mongols killing millions and basically sending Islamic civilization back to the stone age.

So yea, is the book any good? If not, anyone know of a better one?

ShaneB

Going to start this next. Never saw the movie, and this fits into my recent trend of sticking with some Coming of Age stories, plus some science/history/memoir stuff and whatnot mixed in for good fun.

Rocket Boys
96642.jpg

iiicon

He does this a lot. :p
haha, yeah, he's been doing this for years.

The Melancholy of Mechagirl? Haven't read it either, though it looks interesting. What Valente books have you read?
The Labyrinth, both Orphan's Tales books, Palimpsest, and a short story here and there. I recommended Orphan's Tales to you, IIRC. or we discovered her around the same time.

Mumei

haha, yeah, he's been doing this for years.

Yes, and you reminded me of the other dinosaur book I meant to suggest to you.

Pterosaurs aren't dinosaurs

The Labyrinth, both Orphan's Tales books, Palimpsest, and a short story here and there. I recommended Orphan's Tales to you, IIRC. or we discovered her around the same time.

I think we discovered her around the same time... though you did recommend Orphan's Tales at some point. I can't remember where I first learned about her, but it was about The Habitation of the Blessed, when I read this blog post which should sell the book to (almost) anyone.

I've also read Yume no Hon and Palimpsest, and discovered The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making thanks to that. I still haven't read Orphan's Tales, but mostly because the library I go to only has the second book and I've been too lazy to request the first.

SmoothCB

mUgVSxVe0aV08-6Hw0p9N1w.jpg

I love the universe so I haven't been bothered by the slowdown--yet.

It does help not having to wait years for the next book to release.

Stasis

I just finished Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie this morning, and I feel like I need to talk about

I really do LOVE Space Opera's, and plan to dive into the Expanse Series soon.

I also really want to restart Mass Effect 1 now, haha.

I loved it. Was my first read of 2014. Also made me wanna replay ME. I'm a total nut for space opera and space sci-fi in general. I've only recently gotten into it though, having read mostly fantasy for most of my life. You really do need to read the Expanse series. It's fantastic. I need to read the novellas. Some of the Culture novels are great too, and I've been told to read through Alastair Reynolds' stuff as well, Revelation Space.

Currently I'm reading through the Gentleman Bastard series. Wrapping up The Lies of Locke Lamora and loving it. Right up there with Rothfuss and Weeks for me, in the relatively new fantasy series. All great authors.

I read Lexicon prior to this, and loved that as well. I hope the inevitable movie is decent! 2014 has been good so far. Only Pirate Latitudes was disappointing. Crichton's posthumously published title. I like pirates about as much as space so I had to give it a run, lol.

414aEvhtEML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Very good change of pace for a graphic novel, having it from the perspective of the news reporters and how they view the Marvel superheroes.

Just finished The Line (a free Kindle first book) less than an hour ago:
61vgNx%2BQtaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It took a while to get going and seemed to need a better editor to smooth out the grammatical mistakes and plot holes. The author seemed like he didn't know whether to make a YA or adult book and it somewhat suffered for it. The pace increased at the end but it seemed to have plot twists just for the sake of having plot twists.

I am currently reading a book that I'm sure is everyone's favorite - a technical book & it's related to my job / hobby:
51hjChZ4CjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-44,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm reasonably far into Dan Simmons Hyperion.

I'm really liking it so far but unlike a lot of books I find it really hard to pick up and easy to put down because of it's structure as essentially a group of short stories.

Sol Weintraub's chapter :'(

Shengar

Finished with The Warlord of the Air. It is very good short-novels about Victoria future where the world filled with Great Powers imperialism all over the place. Moorcock shown many good ideas, interesting premises and characters, but ultimately I feel like he rushed himself to finish the book. While I'm not fond of over-written book that have thousand of pages, this is one of the few books that I think would benefit greatly from having another extra 100 pages.

Into the next book, The Land Leviathan.
15799047.jpg

X-Frame

I loved it. Was my first read of 2014. Also made me wanna replay ME. I'm a total nut for space opera and space sci-fi in general. I've only recently gotten into it though, having read mostly fantasy for most of my life. You really do need to read the Expanse series. It's fantastic. I need to read the novellas. Some of the Culture novels are great too, and I've been told to read through Alastair Reynolds' stuff as well, Revelation Space.

Currently I'm reading through the Gentleman Bastard series. Wrapping up The Lies of Locke Lamora and loving it. Right up there with Rothfuss and Weeks for me, in the relatively new fantasy series. All great authors.

I read Lexicon prior to this, and loved that as well. I hope the inevitable movie is decent! 2014 has been good so far. Only Pirate Latitudes was disappointing. Crichton's posthumously published title. I like pirates about as much as space so I had to give it a run, lol.

Haha, that is awesome!

Seriously, I don't think I'd be able to not replay ME after I read a few more space operas, and I'm not complaining, it's been a few years since I have anyway and I'm due. I want to drive around aimlessly on the side planets with my Mako.

I've been looking at the Culture novels too, and Alastair Reynolds. Plus the Foundation series, Vorkosigan, Dune Chronicles ... there are so many good space operas that I am learning about. For a "new" reader like myself, I really have a lot to experience.

I'm reasonably far into Dan Simmons Hyperion.

I'm really liking it so far but unlike a lot of books I find it really hard to pick up and easy to put down because of it's structure as essentially a group of short stories.

Sol Weintraub's chapter :'(

Friendly tip? Go ahead and pick up Fall of Hyperion before you finish Hyperion.

I'm about a quarter of the way into
M9P6LUm.jpg

Really into the story so far. Like, so far into it that when I put the book down I briefly experience the feeling of actually being in world and that I shouldn't be reading or doing anything anti-Party else I be disappeared.

Weird, I know...lol.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I am currently reading a book that I'm sure is everyone's favorite - a technical book & it's related to my job / hobby:
51hjChZ4CjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-44,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

How is it? I'm interviewing on Tuesday for an AngularJS dev spot, anything that's worth the time to put into it would be.. well, worth the time I put into it I suppose. :p

skoma

Currently reading this

BreachTrust.jpg

Its okay but not great. First 150 pages are only to set the background for the main plot. Ellis really takes his time.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
414aEvhtEML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Very good change of pace for a graphic novel, having it from the perspective of the news reporters and how they view the Marvel superheroes.

Just finished The Line (a free Kindle first book) less than an hour ago:
61vgNx%2BQtaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It took a while to get going and seemed to need a better editor to smooth out the grammatical mistakes and plot holes. The author seemed like he didn't know whether to make a YA or adult book and it somewhat suffered for it. The pace increased at the end but it seemed to have plot twists just for the sake of having plot twists.

How is it? I'm interviewing on Tuesday for an AngularJS dev spot, anything that's worth the time to put into it would be.. well, worth the time I put into it I suppose. :p

It's probably the best angular book I've read so far, but quite a few have just very recently came out.

I'm actually just heading back home from ng-conf! It was great.

I just finished reading

It was great, really enjoyed it, solid world building.

Now I'm reading

About 50 pages in, and it's a good read, but no new insight yet, authors are still building up their case examples though.

Stasis

Haha, that is awesome!

Seriously, I don't think I'd be able to not replay ME after I read a few more space operas, and I'm not complaining, it's been a few years since I have anyway and I'm due. I want to drive around aimlessly on the side planets with my Mako.

I've been looking at the Culture novels too, and Alastair Reynolds. Plus the Foundation series, Vorkosigan, Dune Chronicles ... there are so many good space operas that I am learning about. For a "new" reader like myself, I really have a lot to experience.

Same here. I've looked into all of those you listed as well. It's overwhelming at times. Too many books to go along with the gaming and TV series I'm interested in. Balance that into RL work and school, and... ugh. Not enough time, I'll never catch up! I'll check these threads more often now and see what you've been reading though, lol.

Just finished up:

Ready_Player_One_cover.jpg

Absolutely loved it! It's rooted pretty deeply in nerd lore.

Finally (embarrassed to admit that it's taking me this long) getting around to reading:

250px-Watchmen.jpg

Really into it. I get the hype.

I started up The Long Walk next. I'm not too far yet, but the premise seems interesting.

My favorite King book. So good.

"I can't believe I agreed to do it," Stewart told The Associated Press on Monday, Jan. 14. "I'm terrified of it. Though it's a movie with a really basic concept, it's overtly ambitious."

"It's a love story of epic, epic, epic proportion," she added. "I'm scared."

Hmm.

If you haven't worked with AngularJs at all then it isn't the book for you since it doesn't go step by step to setup a one page app. The source code for the sample application is on github though.

Otherwise if you've worked with AngularJs (I've been working with it for a work project for at least 5 months now), then it may be the best resource out there (based on what I've read so far).

Kadin

Friend recommended I read Ready Player One and so far, about 1/3 through, it's pretty damn great. My problem is taking the time to read. I enjoy what I read but I find it hard to always set aside time for it. I'd rather be gaming or watching something on TV. I know, it's not right...

Anyone have any really good book recommendations for an eleven year old? I buy her books for christmas/birthdays and she tells me they sound so bad she can't even read them. She likes animal stories, pirates, and "people who have sad lives".

Jintor

Anyone have any really good book recommendations for an eleven year old? I buy her books for christmas/birthdays and she tells me they sound so bad she can't even read them. She likes animal stories, pirates, and "people who have sad lives".

There's something incredible about this statement.

That's probably around the age I was reading Redwall, which has the potential to fit all three criteri, depending on the book. I wouldn't say they're 'really good', but I sure as hell enjoyed them when I was that age.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I think I'm going to return my audio book of Dune. The performance is great, it's just difficult to follow. The author throws out so many names and groups all at once.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
If you haven't worked with AngularJs at all then it isn't the book for you since it doesn't go step by step to setup a one page app. The source code for the sample application is on github though.

Otherwise if you've worked with AngularJs (I've been working with it for a work project for at least 5 months now), then it may be the best resource out there (based on what I've read so far).

I've deployed Angular code before, but that was nearly a year ago and I could use the brushing-up.

Guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow, then. :)

ngower

41E4%2BfttDjL.jpg

Haruki Murakami - The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

I first came across Murakami in my freshman year of high school when my English professor lent me a copy of Sputnik Sweetheart. That is one of my favorite books, and shortly thereafter I picked up a number of Murakami's works. I've never really read them, or at least finished them, though. I made it about 400 pages through this book during high school, reading a few pages here and a few pages there, but ultimately never finished. While I was home for the holidays I picked it back up and am trying to finish it this time around. This isn't a knock on the story or the quality of the book, more so that I was never really raised a reader so it's always a challenge for me to actually pick a book up, but once I'm into it, I'm hooked.

besada

Banned
Great book. I could go for something like this right now. Maybe its time to crack into the Poisoner's Handbook soon.

If you haven't read it, Isaac's Storm is by the same guy, and it's amazing. Not only does it discuss the countey's worst natural disaster -- that we've largely forgotten -- but it's incredibly sad on a personal level. I think it's better than Thunderstruck and In the Garden of Beasts.

Jintor

The Law of Superheroes by James Daily

Just finished, a great little primer on US law using superheroes as case studies. My question regarding the IP infringement possibilities inherent in the potential emergence of IRL superheroes who take on popular trademark names in a world where Marvel and DC comics exist goes unanswered, however.

TTG

I started reading The Book of the New Sun, still on the first part, and enjoying it quite a bit:

40992.jpg

I know we have a lot of avid readers of fantasy here, so I'm interested in your take on how this series fits in. Right off the bat it's exploring some serious(complex? those which require critical thinking from the reader?) themes unlike other books I've read in this genre. Then again, it hasn't been as entertaining as A Song of Ice and Fire or The Kingkiller series either, although it's just now starting to pick up pace. Is it held in the same high esteem as the critics' quotes on amazon suggest? If so, it's strange that I haven't seen it mentioned here much at all.

"Arguably the finest piece of literature American science fiction has yet produced [is] the four-volume Book of the New Sun."--Chicago Sun-Times

"The Book of the New Sun establishes his preeminence, pure and simple. . . . The Book of the New Sun contains elements of Spenserian allegory, Swiftian satire, Dickensian social consciousness and Wagnerian mythology. Wolfe creates a truly alien social order that the reader comes to experience from within . . . once into it, there is no stopping."--The New York Times Book Review

Just finished:

8492907.jpg

Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100
by Michio Kaku

It was cool I guess. Kaku is a little bit too optimistic and borders on the geeky side a little bit too much on the later chapters but it's good knowing where the science as a whole stands right now and what's coming down the tube. It's worth it alone for the references.

228665.jpg

The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1)

Whatever I say about this book is meaningless. It's so ingrained in the popular culture that people will continue reading it whether I liked it or not. But I did like it, especially the last 10 chapters where it really picks up the speed. I plan on continuing with the series

Now starting:
771.jpg

suzu

Do you know the titles of any books she does like? And what were the books you've already given her (that she ended up not even wanting to read them lol)?

General recommendation: "Holes" by Louis Sachar.

Do you know the titles of any books she does like? And what were the books you've already given her (that she ended up not even wanting to read them lol)?

General recommendation: "Holes" by Louis Sachar.

Off the top of my head:she likes Wolves of the Beyond and the rest of that author's work, the early books of the Warrior Cats series, Counting by 7s,Fruits Basket,Hunger Games, and The Tiger Rising.

She rejected Animorphs,Lois Lowry,A Wrinkle in Time,Bartimaeus,Tale of Despereaux, and Ella Enchanted.

Pau

Off the top of my head:she likes Wolves of the Beyond and the rest of that author's work, the early books of the Warrior Cats series, Counting by 7s,Fruits Basket,Hunger Games, and The Tiger Rising.

She rejected Animorphs,Lois Lowry,A Wrinkle in Time,Bartimaeus,Tale of Despereaux, and Ella Enchanted.
Oh boo, I loved Ella Enchanted.

His Dark Materials series focuses a lot on animals so she might like that. It starts with The Golden Compass.

The Wolf Tower starts off about a slave so that might fit under "people who have sad lives." Although, so does Lois Lowry's The Giver.

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents features animals but is a bit more on the comedy side.

Top Bottom