• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2014)

Orujv.jpg

Please make sure to visit the 'Top 5 Books of 2013' thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740485

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Make sure to visit this month's GAF Book Club thread owned and operated by everyone's favorite moderator, Cyan! The book for January 2014 is ...

The Quiet American by Graham Greene

The Quiet American by Graham Greene

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Non-western literature
Novels with great world building

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature
Post-apocalpytic Books
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

coldvein

Banned
hey i am reading WARLOCK by Oakley Hall and this book is a MOTHER FUCKER!!!!!

if you have ever had any interest in reading a western you should read this book. i typically think of westerns as being dime-store cheese type stuff but daaaaaaamn this book is amazing. READ IT. im serious. but i know you wont because i dont have a picture of the cover to post

Blizzard

Banned
I'm currently reading the Lies of Locke Lamora.

I thought Lies was going to be some weird word or mean something special, but nope, it's about Locke Lamora and a bunch of lies he tells.

It's pretty addictive. I'm about 400/700 pages in.

Jintor

if you have ever had any interest in reading a western you should read this book. i typically think of westerns as being dime-store cheese type stuff but daaaaaaamn this book is amazing. READ IT. im serious. but i know you wont because i dont have a picture of the cover to post

Warlock by Oakley Hall

coldvein

Banned
there it is!

i've got maybe 50 pages left, ill probably finish before midnight. will probably end up as my book of the year 2013. reminds me alot of the Once and Future King. Trust me this book is the real deal.

ShaneB

I'm always looking to expand on reading more Westerns, so I'll be sure to check this out eventually. edit: doesnt seem to be an ebook of it. Lame =/ I added Wide Open to my to-read list as well, seems like it could be fantastic.

Just want to thank reading-gaf as well for a great 2013 in reading, finding new books and sharing what I've read. Everything I read in 2013.

Clegg

Just finished The Cold Commands by Richard Morgan.

Big Spoilers:
Not sure whether or not I like the reveal of this being the Altered Carbon universe several thousand years into the future. Takeshi Kovacs as a disembodied AI god was pretty cool tho.

lightus

Still working through The Way of Kings. Almost done though, only 200ish pages. Absolutely loving the world.

Dune
Necronomicon (Lovecraft)
Expanded Sherlock stories

^that is what is on my list to start soon.

I read hardly anything last year. Mainly just short stories like The Curious case of Dr Jykll which i really enjoyed.

Going to look into some of those highly acclaimed Sci Fi series this year too.

I'm currently reading the Lies of Locke Lamora.

I thought Lies was going to be some weird word or mean something special, but nope, it's about Locke Lamora and a bunch of lies he tells.

It's pretty addictive. I'm about 400/700 pages in.

Let me know what you think about this when you finish. I have all three of the series on my Kindle and I'm considering giving them a go this year.

Piecake

I am reading The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson

So far I am not that impressed. He tries to do a narrative history of the entire four thousand years of Ancient Egyptian history, but doesn't do it by telling interesting and important stories in each period, but by telling little snippets what each ruler did. So far, it feels like I have read a lot but have learned very little.

I also don't find it very interesting since his 'analysis' argues against a rose-tinted egyptologist straw-man. I like one of his lines where he said that some argued that the Egyptians were happy to build pyramids for their ruler as a sign of their devotion, but that was actually not the case. No shit? Who honestly would think otherwise. His other spiel is that the Old Kingdom was all powerful and had complete control over the economy, which just makes no fucking sense.

I have only finished the Old Dynasty section, so hopefully it will get better once we get more sources because right now his stories are too cursory to be interesting and his analysis is pathetic.

Mumei

I would like to announce that I will not be reading The Rise and Fall of Ancient Egypt by Toby Wilkinson.

But I am reading No Turning Back: The History of Feminism and the Future of Women by Estelle Freedman and Marriage, a History: from Obedience to Intimacy or How Love Conquered Marriage by Stephanie Coontz.

Narag

Need to get back to reading. Some stuff I finished last month:

Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Expected YA historical fiction, got YA historical fiction.

Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon

Enjoyable. May not continue with this series but will check out more Elizabeth Moon.

The Wolf Gift: The Wolf Gift Chronicles by Anne Rice

Kinda liked it as it was more introspective than expected but felt weird about all the contemporary stuff put in that might make it feel dated before long though. Might be the point though.

fakefaker

Still plugging away at The Caine Mutiny by Herman Wouk. It's a book so larger than life, it'll take two years for me to read it.

12286372.jpg

In the middle of:
cover.gif

Finished The Influence by Bentley Little a day before January, but was still pretty good (I've read most of his books), but a bit formulaic like his other books.

I finished with 85 for the year. Had a few graphic novels mixed in that buffed my final number a bit.

I don't think I'll be doing a challenge again this year, just because it feels like I'm rushing through everything.

Anyhow, my goal this year is to work in more non-fiction and history books.

Starting with this

The History Buff's Guide to the Civil War: The best, the worst, the largest, and the most lethal top ten rankings of the Civil War by Thomas R. Flagel

Also reading this

The Wolf of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort

I couldn't really get into Laymon's Cellar, which is disappointing. I'll try to revisit it later. I'm moving on to:

81060.jpg

I read it years ago, and really admired it. I just got a nice trade paperback edition and thought I'd give it another read. If I enjoy it as much as I remember, I'll probably go on a Kiernan binge.

NekoFever

I read 46 books on a target of 40 last year, so I was pretty happy with that. Not setting a target this year, though, because I found having to hit targets sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

That said, it's 1/1 and I'm 35% of the way through my first book of the year already...

It's good so far. Funny how this is such a quick read after how long it took me to read Dune. The original had quite an abrupt ending so it feels like this is almost an epilogue.

SolKane

Christmas presents:

11510594.jpg

51tfj9uN6ML.jpg

Pretty good so far, the Bergen book however relies heavily on paraphrasing of the source material so I'm not getting a whole lot out of it that's not available in the second book. He's a very good writer, however.

Epcott

Bought the book last month, but never had a time to start it, so I loaned it to my mom (loves Dune, Song of Ice and Fire and Battlestar Galactica).

Found the book on Audible last week and have been listening to it while at work.
Interesting book so far. I have to admit, the gender associations really got me.

It was a bit of a tough start. I was expecting something more along the lines of Rubicon by Tom Holland but Robin Lane Fox definitely provides a more academic account, which I've begun to appreciate now that I'm 100 pages in. I've always wanted to know more about Alexander, and by all accounts, this is the definitive guide for this generation.

While it can take a while to get acquainted with the players and geography involved, the pace picks up considerably once the introductions are made.

I just finished up:

41-oATFYEQL.jpg

S. by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst

This is definitely one of the most unconventional books I've read in a while. For those who don't know, the novel is meant to emulate an old library book written by a mysterious author, and it's filled with marginalia and inserts (postcards, newspaper clippings, etc.) from two characters who are analyzing it. The conversations between the two annotators are by far the most compelling part of the story; they were really interesting and the relationship between them felt natural. The fictional work itself, Ship of Theseus, has some fun ideas and setpieces but I don't think it would quite work on its own without everything else surrounding it. The overarching conspiracy/mystery that ties everything together is the weak point, I think; while it was fun to watch the characters get way into it, I never found it all that exciting myself.

But overall I think it's definitely more than the sum of its parts. I got pretty engrossed in it, and it's absolutely stunning to look at. Even in its slower moments, I was still excited to turn the page so I could see what the next set of handwritten notes or physical insert was going to look like.

thomaser

51PW6dqKOPL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

Probably ten years since I last read a Discworld novel. Still funny and clever! I think Pratchett tries too hard to be clever at times, leading to unnecessary confusion. But on the other hand, Discworld IS a confusing place, so he gets a pass.

Piecake

It was a bit of a tough start. I was expecting something more along the lines of Rubicon by Tom Holland but Robin Lane Fox definitely provides a more academic account, which I've begun to appreciate now that I'm 100 pages in. I've always wanted to know more about Alexander, and by all accounts, this is the definitive guide for this generation.

While it can take a while to get acquainted with the players and geography involved, the pace picks up considerably once the introductions are made.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748703791904576075760889881174

You might find that interesting. Its an article by Tom Holland on all of the Alexander Biographies. The Robert Lane Fox one doesnt seem all that impressive from that since it seems like the Fox characterizes Alexander as an idealist with noble goals who wanted to spread the far superior ideas of Hellenism to the barbaric Near East.

If that is true, I don't think that makes a whole lot of sense considering that Alexander basically ruled as a Persian King after his conquest

ShaneB

Just like last year, I'll set my challenge low and adjust as needed. I'll be avoiding any sort of longer book if I set it too high to start and rushing to meet a number.

51PW6dqKOPL._SY344_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Snuff by Terry Pratchett.

Probably ten years since I last read a Discworld novel. Still funny and clever! I think Pratchett tries too hard to be clever at times, leading to unnecessary confusion. But on the other hand, Discworld IS a confusing place, so he gets a pass.

$1.99 on Kindle today.

Piecake

Well, finally signed up for a goodreads account. I set my goal at 100. Duh duh daa

We will see if I get it done.

Top Bottom