• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2014)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hey gaf, is Blood Germs and Steel worth the read?
I don't really read much non fiction

Edit: I meant Guns germs and steel.
But I just ordered it anyways. Been really interested in civilization lately.

Very dry prose. Other people like it though.

iiicon

I reread the first four books in 2011 with the intention of reading A Dance with Dragons when it came out.

... I still haven't read it.
I read it at release and thought there were some very well-done horror elements in it (made me pine for Fevre Dream!), but I've pushed everything else about that book out of my mind. I've just completely lost interest in the series as more time passes with no end in sight.

Jintor

In the mood for some dogfighting/aerial combat/space combat stuff in prose. Like the xwing series or other start wars extended universe stuff. Any ideas?

Atrophis

In the mood for some dogfighting/aerial combat/space combat stuff in prose. Like the xwing series or other start wars extended universe stuff. Any ideas?

Can only think of Double Eagle by Dan Abnett. Its a Warhammer 40k book. Not the best he's ever written but will probably scratch your itch.

HerrPalomar

Neo Member
Dan Simmons - Terror
xrTDctS.jpg

Started reading it two days ago and can‘t stop :)

9780446584968_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Life Itself by Roger Ebert

I've had this on my radar for a long time and finally bought a copy.
Ebert has some great stories and has a fantastic attitude on the curve balls he was thrown late in his life. Stuff like an in-depth account of his extended family bored me but thankfully it doesn't take up too much of the book.

8442457.jpg

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

My brain has imploded.

Netgalley.com is where I got mine. Just make a profile and then put in your requests, most pubs aren't too picky.

Book is really good btw. Just hit the halfway point and really liking it.

Son1x

Now halfway through
11297.jpg

Just got through this few hours ago. The only other Murakami novel I read was Kafka on the Shore. I liked this one more.

Don't know what to read next, maybe another novel from Murakami, but I think I'll go with something scifi next.

Check out Timothy Zahn. He's written some of the Star Wars books but has written other stuff in a similar vein. The Conquerors series was decent.

David Weber also does space combat stuff. The battles in the Honor Harrington series are epic but there's a lot of other stuff in those books. I like them but I know others don't. I haven't read any of his other space stuff so I can't comment.

David Hollow

Neo Member
David Hollow and the Crescent Knight

The second of the David Hollow trilogy by Ryan Christensen, brother of GAF member Oatmeal. An absorbing, superbly written fantasy with a large, detailed world, interesting mythology, fantastic characters and pageturning story arcs. Seriously cannot recommend the series enough. Talent like Christensen's deserves more attention.

If you like Dark Tower, Games of Thrones or anything fantastical and epic like that you'll love the David Hollow series.

Wow. Been waiting a while to have my account validated, and to witness this sort of endorsement for my own work is incredible. I hope to become a part of Gaf's environment and having parsed through this thread, there are a lot of commonalities in terms of the stuff I've read and what's being tossed around the boards. Love this community. The statement may lack gravitas due to my virginal status, but it's been fun to lurk the corridors undetected.

Mumei

I finished reading 3500: An Autistic Boy's Ten-Year Romance with Snow White by Ron Miles today. It's really enjoyed it, though it did become a bit ... repetitious at times. I suppose it is to be expected, though - he did ride Snow White's Scary Adventures 3,500 times!

Anyway, definitely recommend it to anyone interested in a fairly light (and emotionally affecting, if not especially well-written) memoir about raising an autistic son.

Edit: Oh, and I started reading The Great Hunt!

Wow. Been waiting a while to have my account validated, and to witness this sort of endorsement for my own work is incredible. I hope to become a part of Gaf's environment and having parsed through this thread, there are a lot of commonalities in terms of the stuff I've read and what's being tossed around the boards. Love this community. The statement may lack gravitas due to my virginal status, but it's been fun to lurk the corridors undetected.
Congrats! Hope to join you in successful published author status soon!

TTG

Finished The Book of the New Sun today:

Finished may be the wrong word, I think a second reading would be of great benefit in constructing a complete image of that universe and further shaping the understanding I have of the characters. Which isn't to say that the text ever appears to intentionally obscure or otherwise contrived to make it difficult to follow. Take the premise of the book, which I thought was novel and worked so well:

We start with a full on, traditional fantasy novel feel and gradually transition to sci fi during the four books. This is in accordance with the way a vast majority of people in that book perceive their world(including the narrator) because of the decay of humanity. It's Clarke's law in a sense, but is executed flawlessly, so much so that I was still falling for it some 700 pages into this series.

Anyway, I can't recommend it enough. It goes straight to my top 10 sci fi and all... The book is really awe inspiring both in world and characters, not to mention it's marvelously written.

Ratrat

uUW0OkIl.jpg

Finished. All in all it was ass. Fantasy books taking inspiration from video games? No thanks.
The animestyle fight scenes are less impressive the 10th time around, characters are witless and boring cartoon archetypes. There is no tension and no blood.

Edit: Can anyone recommend something for ASOIAF fans? I'd like something with:

Good 3 dimensional characters
Characters will actually die
Decent writing
Not a 10+ book series
Not 1000+ pages

TTG

Edit: Can anyone recommend something for ASOIAF fans? I'd like something with:

Good 3 dimensional characters
Characters will actually die
Decent writing
Not a 10+ book series
Not 1000+ pages

Read the post above! It's as much fantasy as sci fi, both and neither one? The four books come out to 850ish pages total and as much as I love ASOIAF, it doesn't even come close. Parts(many parts) of The Book of The New Sun will make ASOIAF look as the writing in Skyrim looks in comparison to ASOIAF. The only thing is that it never develops a great pace the way those books do, although when the action does get going it's on point.

Ratrat

Thanks for the suggestions. That looks really interesting. Fuck, $10 on kindle. Guess ill go paperback.

Never read Gene Wolfe but actually have An Evil Guest. I should probably read it...

TTG

Now read Urth. The perfect coda: it both clarifies and changes what came before. :)

I will have to do that. The only question is wait for all the roiling of different plot points and characters to subside until I come to an equilibrium on what I think happened or jump straight into Urth of the New Sun?

ymmv

Banned
God's War by Kameron Hurley.

I thought the concept looked interesting so I picked up the book six months ago. Couldn't stand the book for more than 20 pages. The characters, the world building, the writing style. I hated everything except the cover. Your mileage may vary.

Nymerio

WoT - The Fires of Heaven:
I'm getting real tired of the bitching between Egwene and Nyneave. Most annoying characters in the books so far. I started out liking Egwene and didn't much like Nynaeve, a while later they switched places and I couldn't stand Egwene but liked Nynaeve. Now I'm annoyed by both of them. I really hope Egwene doesn't end up as the Amerlyn Seat like that dream seemed to foreshadow.

Atrophis

Finished. All in all it was ass. Fantasy books taking inspiration from video games? No thanks.
The animestyle fight scenes are less impressive the 10th time around, characters are witless and boring cartoon archetypes. There is no tension and no blood.

This is disappointing to hear. The premise sounds interesting and its not often you get fantasy based on the French Revolution. Your description sounds like a Sanderson novel though so I'm going to stay well away.

Ratrat

This is disappointing to hear. The premise sounds interesting and its not often you get fantasy based on the French Revolution. Your description sounds like a Sanderson novel though so I'm going to stay well away.
I won't fault anyone for liking it(or Sanderson), I did enjoy the first few chapters but its quickly apparent that the book is more concerned with being 'cool' in a juvenile sense, than telling a good story. It's almost non-stop action with a predictable story. I was rooting for the villains.

Jag

uUW0OkIl.jpg

That was next in my list, but I was on the fence. Maybe I'll pass. What video game is it from?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Can anyone recommend any Graham Green(e) books? I just finished The End of the Affair and before that The Quiet American, and I really liked both but I don't really know where to go from here. Any suggestions?

gugi40

Mutants%20Armand%20Marie%20Leroi.jpg

Mutants: On genetic variety and the human body. By: Armand Marie Leroi

I have been reading this same book for almost 4 years (I got too busy to finish it ). It is an amazing read, for anyone who likes genetics.

RangerX

Banned
Currently re-reading Robert E Howards complete chronicles of Conan, which in my opinion is the greatest fantasy literature ever committed to the page.

Half way through Swan Song and got damn is this book good. Unless the second half falls apart it'll definitely shoot to the top of my favorite post apocalypse list, along side A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Postman, World Made By Hand, The Road, Earth Abides, etc

I finished The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell - ★★★★ - Absolutely riveting read about the rise of Arthur in fending off the Saxons and other Britons to unite Britania under the rule of the high king. I haven't read any Arthurian tales since way back in high school, so the material was fresh and captivating. Cornwell's Arthur differs quite a bit from how he's presented in other stories, and the changes are almost exclusively for the better. The real scene stealer is Derfel, one of Arthur's loyal warriors who narrates the story and completely won me over.

Highly recommended.

Mumei

I finished The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell - ★★★★ - Absolutely riveting read about the rise of Arthur in fending off the Saxons and other Britons to unite Britania under the rule of the high king. I haven't read any Arthurian tales since way back in high school, so the material was fresh and captivating. Cornwell's Arthur differs quite a bit from how he's presented in other stories, and the changes are almost exclusively for the better. The real scene stealer is Derfel, one of Arthur's loyal warriors who narrates the story and completely won me over.

Highly recommended.

What other Arthurian fiction have you read?

Jintor

Read a selected crime collection of news articles from 2010 - excellent - And the sign of the for Four by Doyle - good.

Highly recommended.
Didn't I tell you you'd like it? One of the best Arthurian stories ever. Great trilogy.

Nymerio

The women in the Wheel of Time series have to be some of the most obnoxious portrayals of the women ever. You'd think the whole WoT universe is filled with mentally challenged men who can't be trusted to walk three steps without a female handler.

Jag

Highly recommended.

Derfel was great. Sort of like Croaker in the Black Company. I also like how the series was different than most of Cornwell's books.

What other Arthurian fiction have you read?

Very little. I read The Once and Future King back in high school, as well as Idylls of the King. I've been more exposed to his story through film, having seen a few of the heavy hitters there (Knights of the Round Table, The Sword in the Stone, Camelot, and First Knight...the biggest gap there is Excalibur, which I should really watch).

Didn't I tell you you'd like it? One of the best Arthurian stories ever. Great trilogy.

I'll definitely be reading the next two books. Excellent start to the series!

Derfel was great. Sort of like Croaker in the Black Company. I also like how the series was different than most of Cornwell's books.

I certainly got a bit of that Croaker vibe. Croaker is tops, so any comparison to him is a winner in my book. This is the only Cornwell books I've read, but I've added the Holy Grail series to my queue. I'll get to it...eventually. Dang backlog.

Mumei

Very little. I read The Once and Future King back in high school, as well as Idylls of the King. I've been more exposed to his story through film, having seen a few of the heavy hitters there (Knights of the Round Table, The Sword in the Stone, Camelot, and First Knight...the biggest gap there is Excalibur, which I should really watch).

You must read Mary Stewart's trilogy!

Piecake

The women in the Wheel of Time series have to be some of the most obnoxious portrayals of the women ever. You'd think the whole WoT universe is filled with mentally challenged men who can't be trusted to walk three steps without a female handler.

Basically the reason why I had to stop reading it. The characters, especially the women, are just fucking terrible.

Top Bottom