• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (January 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I have been making my way through Niall Ferguson's Civilization: The West and the Rest

The book is a recap of the past 500-600 years of history in an attempt to explain why western Europe overtook the eastern civilizations in predominance beginning in the late 15th century, and culminating with the European and American empire building of the 19th and 20th centuries.

I have read a lot of the history that is being covered so far in previous books, but the framing is a bit different. It seems like his main thesis is that theocratic or monarchic power was never consolidated in Europe (thanks to the Protestant reformation and constant in-fighting), allowing for increased competition and an inability to enforce a progress stifling status quo.

The innovations in science, governance, and economics of the 17th-20th centuries followed from that. He also seems to be foreshadowing a prediction of the end of western predominance in the nearish future.

Holiday

Banned
I'm a little over halfway through Blood Meridian, but I've had to take a break. The book has me slightly unnerved, which is not unusual it seems.

I've also been reading this collection of Chekov short stories that I bought forever ago. These are really nice, and often pretty funny.

TTG

I read the story first, and I think it reduced my enjoyment of the film a lot. Also the bolded is pretty much what I've been telling anyone who'll listen, (you put it much better, I'll need to remember it lol) the film's approach to time is opposite to that of the story and much weaker imo. The film could've done something really clever with the narrative, and the presentation of the language, and it didn't.

I decided to give a collection of his a try as well, mostly because The Fellowship of the Ring is kind of boring. I'm through Tower of Babylon, Understand, Division by Zero, and Story of Your Life so far. It's been interesting, he has some cool ideas.

Regarding Story of Your Life specifically, and without having seen the movie, time and language are the two outstanding parts.
The first he sets up brilliantly, those last paragraphs trigger a key puzzle piece falling into place feeling while creating a whole other dimension to the main character's relationship with her daughter, it's sublime. Language written sort of unburdened of linear time is the cool ideas part, but it wouldn't make for a great story on its own, which has been a shortcoming of his other stuff I've read.

From a philosophical view, I didn't find the argument for the nature of the aliens' mind convincing. People have been trying to rationalize God's omniscience and free will existing together for ages. Speaking of which, I noticed He doesn't come up, teleological arguments for Him are fraught with potholes as well. It doesn't mar the story of course.
I can see why someone would be inspired to make a movie based on it, it's great.

jonno394

Seeing all the recommendations for "House of leaves" makes me remember a book I read about a few years back, and might actuallyw ant to investigate now. It was a very unusual book where different people were writing notes alongside the text and having conversations in the notes, and I think that was half the experience itself.

I know it's not much to go on, but does anyone know what i'm on about :/

JonnyKong

That's the one, thanks. Reading about it now makes it sound a bit intimidating ans seems like it might be a bit of an overwhelming experience!

I personally wasn't all that impressed with it and actually stopped reading it halfway through, but obviously I'm sure some people here might have loved it.

Mist

Banned
If you go read Gardens of the Moon, just immediately go read Deadhouse Gates. Book 1 tends to put people off the series, but Book 2 shows the true colours of the series. Thus, just persevere if book 1 disappoints you.

I'm about 150 pages in now and so far I actually really like it. I think I'll persevere! Now I'm just wondering if I really want to read Deadhouse Gates immediately after or not. Because I've got about 10 other books I got from Christmas that deserve some reading as well.

Can anyone give me a recommendation? I'm feeling sort of dried up lately and I want something good to read.

Something weird and dark. Not like a normal guy in a weird situation kind of thing, just a weird book overall. I don't really need explanations, just mystery and strangeness.
China Mieville is your guy. The City & the City and Kraken are good works from him.

Oh, and Alice (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23398606-alice). Nice twist on the Alice story, reminds of the American McGee Alice games, in that the world is messed up and so is Alice and all the other characters.

Just finished "The Stone Diaries" by Carol Shields for the second time. It's a great novel that explores the idea of an autobiography and how different people view one person and life differently. A good read that changes its style -- from first-person narrative to third-person to epistolary style to plain facts -- and takes advantage of such to make a point for each.

So I'm now going into "Monkey Beach" by Eden Robison, also for the second time (for school again.) It's a book I'd categorize as magic realism that has a main character -- a young woman in a small, traditional aboriginal town -- struggle to reconcile her cultural traditions with modern life following the disappearance of her brother off British Columbia's Pacific coast. Another Canadian classic that I'm looking forward to digging into once again.

And for those with a Kindle or other device with the Kindle app, Kurt Vonnegut's classic, "Cat's Cradle," is on sale for $2. He's my favourite author, so I obviously highly recommend it.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000SEH13C/

Can anyone give me a recommendation? I'm feeling sort of dried up lately and I want something good to read.

Something weird and dark. Not like a normal guy in a weird situation kind of thing, just a weird book overall. I don't really need explanations, just mystery and strangeness.

Lots of good suggestions, if you want to go the Classic route there's always Kafka's Metamorphosis, Nicolai Gogol's 'The Nose, and other stories', or the slightly more modern Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast books.

Still reading Assassins Quest. When I finish that I'm going to start the Red Rising trilogy.

I'm pretty excited for Mass Effect Andromeda. I've never read a book in the same vain. Any reccomendation for books that feature spaceships, a crew, exploring different planets, alien plant/life forms etc? (besides the Mass Effect books themselves)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Still reading Assassins Quest. When I finish that I'm going to start the Red Rising trilogy.

I'm pretty excited for Mass Effect Andromeda. I've never read a book in the same vain. Any reccomendation for books that feature spaceships, a crew, exploring different planets, alien plant/life forms etc? (besides the Mass Effect books themselves)

Try Becky Chambers' The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet.

24956528.jpg

Nezumi

I'm slowly making my way through the audiobook version of
220px-Tglg.jpg

I can't quite decide whether I love it or not but it surely is fascinating. I don't think I've ever read or listened to something quite like it.

Started on Fatherland. 1964, Hitler has won the war and conquered his 'lebensraum'. There is a murder in Berlin and you follow a cop there. First chapter is decent so far, see how the rest is.

18879231.jpg

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
51VgEpSeiPL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

“The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you miserable.”
― Douglas Preston, Gideon's Sword

This book was pretty silly, the main character is a former thief because thiefs are cool i guess and he is also a master of disguise and can emulate other people's voices, it just felt a bit too much for me. However i didn't hate the book but i also i didn't particularly like it. I did forgot that this was a sort of sequel to the ice limit which made a certain company's appearance somewhat of a surprise. Also i never knew
Room-temperature superconductors could be such a transformative technology, that's neat.

dakini

So I recently purchased the Little Black Classics Box Set from Penguin and was wondering how you guys would count them for the 50/50 challenge. Most of the books are between 50-100 pages long. The OP in that thread says 100 pages or more for a book to count, so would you count two as one? three as one? In the past the only books shorter than 100 pages that I have counted as one book were plays by Shakespeare.

Mastadon

Banned
Just a heads up, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is on the kindle daily deals (in the UK at least, not sure if it's the same in the US?) for £1.29.

Highly recommend it!

Finished Night Life by Caitlin Kittredge. Not bad. Really easy to read. Underneath the supernatural elements, it was a pretty straight forward murder mystery. Some of the stuff did bother me. Like the over-use of the word "hex" instead of regular swear words. The sex scene felt really contrived. Also I thought the author took the "tough" female lead thing a bit far and made her seem like an asshole instead of guarded. I can definitely see why these things are popular.

Up next:

5585788.jpg

Keeping with the Urban Fantasy stuff. Based on reviews, it seems pretty well regarded. So far, I'm enjoying it. We'll see how it goes.

Mumei

I started reading Middlemarch on Friday, and while I'm only about a fifth of the way through I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite books of the year. It's absolutely wonderful.

Magus1234

I started reading Middlemarch on Friday, and while I'm only about a fifth of the way through I can already tell this is going to be one of my favorite books of the year. It's absolutely wonderful.

What a funny coincidence, I just started too and thought the same thing. I am only about 200 pages into it but already I seem to put the book down every chapter or even paragraph and just think about what was written. I had meant to read something else but this was one of the only accessible in my collection, a good surprise though I knew how highly it was praised.

KOoaKoV.jpg

Necrovex

The realization I will have the ability to play Witcher 3 led me to begin the book series, starting with The Last Wish. Only found it to be a decent read. I plan to continue with it but mostly due to my interest in the game series. I am happy to know I know who the hell Yennifer is now. Witcher 1 and 2 did nothing to teach the player about her significance.

Debating about if I should just leap into the second book, Sword of Destiny, or if I should read an actual classic. Leaning towards the latter and reading either Brave New World, Forever War, or The Handmaid's Tale.

Mumei

What a funny coincidence, I just started too and thought the same thing. I am only about 200 pages into it but already I seem to put the book down every chapter or even paragraph and just think about what was written. I had meant to read something else but this was one of the only accessible in my collection, a good surprise though I knew how highly it was praised.

KOoaKoV.jpg

I am also reading a Penguin Classics edition, though I have a different cover:

271276.jpg

It's also very funny:

'You have your own opinion about everything, Miss Brooke, and it is always a good opinion.'
What answer was possible to such stupid complimenting?

'So it seems, my love, for you have as good as refused the pick of them; and if there's better to be had, I'm sure there's no girl better deserves it.'

'Excuse me, mamma - I wish you would not say, "the pick of them".'

'Why, what else are they?'

'I mean, mamma, it is rather a vulgar expression.'

'Very likely, my dear, I never was a good speaker. What should I say?'

'The best of them.'

'Why, that seems as plain and common. If I had had time to think, I should have said, "the most superior young men." But with your education you must know.'

'What must Rosy know, mother?' said Mr Fred, who had slid unobserved through the half-open door while the ladies were bending over their work, and now going up to the fire stood with his back towards it, warming the soles of his slippers.

'Whether it's right to say "superior young men",' said Mrs Vincy, ringing the bell.

'Oh, there are so many superior teas and sugars now. Superior is getting to be shopkeeper's slang.

'Are you beginning to dislike slang, then?' said Rosamond, with mild gravity.
'Only the wrong sort. All choice of words is slang. It marks a class.'

'There is correct English: that is not slang.'

'I beg your pardon: correct English is the slang of prigs who write history and essays. And the strongest slang of all is the slang of poets.'

'You will say anything, Fred, to gain your point.'

'Well, tell me whether it is slang or poetry to call an ox a leg-plaiter.'

'Of course you can call it poetry if you like.'

'Aha, Miss Rosy, you don't know Homer from slang. I shall invent a new game; I shall write bits of slang and poetry on slips, and give them to you to separate.'

Peru

Yessss

I really like the painting chosen for my Oxford edition although it doesn't quite capture the scope of the novel

5141pnGQzGL.jpg

It's also very funny:

Sure is! One of the things I try to convince people of when I'm pushing the book. I laugh, I cry, I clap my hands. Man, it's time for a re-read. I'm starting to forget the details.

Most importantly, your favorite character so far?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Sure is! One of the things I try to convince people of when I'm pushing the book. I laugh, I cry, I clap my hands. Man, it's time for a re-read. I struggle matching quote with character.

I did not wake up today expecting a bunch of love for Middlemarch. Great book, but kind of shocked at all the love. Though its been awhile. I guess count me in for that rereading club or whatever. Actually, nvm that book is long as shit. Maybe I'll reread later....

Magus1234

I really love Dorothea's character, her and Celia remind me of Elizabeth and Kitty somewhat. Though Dodo has that sad ambition of a person who wants beyond their position in life. She is a Bovary in that sense, but I do not see her having the cunning or courage of Emma (for better or for worse, yet to be seen).

Personally the most relatable characters have been either Will, somewhat aimlessly sauntering through life or Fred, who seems down on his luck with no friends to confide in. Though from what I have read there has not been much attention to them yet.

"I am seeing so much all at once, and not understanding half of it. That always makes one feel stupid. It is painful to be told that anything is very fine and not be able to feel that it is fine — something like being blind, while people talk of the sky."

Quotable

" ... One must be poor to know the luxury of giving!"

I did not get on with Middlemarch at school. I vaguely recall having to read it all very quickly and think I gave up :(

All this praise makes me want to give it another go for pleasure though.

And...

300 pages in and I'm finally 'into' Red Seas Under Red Skies.

jonno394

Just finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill. Pretty good read. Never really read ghost/horror novels before so this was a new experience for me. Some good imagery throughout and a satisfying conclusion.

Moving on to this now, good old fashioned puritan fun:

71mAymN%2BgJL._SL1500_.jpg

large_mqSIXhvyNd40DuCOlplGy4NgsCC.jpg

Barnes and Noble Overview:

Imagine being trapped inside a Disney movie and having to learn about life mostly from animated characters dancing across a screen of color. A fantasy? A nightmare? This is the real-life story of Owen Suskind, the son of the Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Ron Suskind and his wife, Cornelia. An autistic boy who couldn't speak for years, Owen memorized dozens of Disney movies, turned them into a language to express love and loss, kinship, brotherhood.The family was forced to become animated characters, communicating with him in Disney dialogue and song; until they all emerge, together, revealing how, in darkness, we all literally need stories to survive.

Absolutely excellent memoir. I first heard of it after watching the trailer for the documentary, which I hear is also excellent. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7fosK9UyY

Mastadon

Banned
Finished Jagannath. Enjoyed it immensely - some of the stories fall a bit flat but the imagery is really striking in the stronger ones. I think this is her debut as well, so will definitely keep an eye out for what she does next.

I'm doing the 50/50 challenge this year, so started out with some light fantasy. I've read The Straight Razor Cure which wasn't great, and A Darker Shade of Magic which I enjoyed a fair bit. Just starting on the next one in the series.

5WvUsZd.jpg

Mumei

I knew you would be pleased. :)

Most importantly, your favorite character so far?

Oh, I don't even know. I feel like I like all the characters, even the ones who have a tendency to act a bit daft. I did particularly latch onto Dorothea early on, though. "What answer was possible to such stupid complimenting?" is still hysterical.

I really love Dorothea's character, her and Celia remind me of Elizabeth and Kitty somewhat. Though Dodo has that sad ambition of a person who wants beyond their position in life. She is a Bovary in that sense, but I do not see her having the cunning or courage of Emma (for better or for worse, yet to be seen).

Personally the most relatable characters have been either Will, somewhat aimlessly sauntering through life or Fred, who seems down on his luck with no friends to confide in. Though from what I have read there has not been much attention to them yet.

"I am seeing so much all at once, and not understanding half of it. That always makes one feel stupid. It is painful to be told that anything is very fine and not be able to feel that it is fine — something like being blind, while people talk of the sky."

Quotable

" ... One must be poor to know the luxury of giving!"

You know, while I agree with how you feel about Dorothea, I didn't feel that way about Emma Bovary. She seemed rather unsophisticated to me.

large_mqSIXhvyNd40DuCOlplGy4NgsCC.jpg

Absolutely excellent memoir. I first heard of it after watching the trailer for the documentary, which I hear is also excellent. Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n7fosK9UyY

I really liked the documentary. It was a bit of an uncomfortable watch at times, but it still quite charming.

Magus1234

You know, while I agree with how you feel about Dorothea, I didn't feel that way about Emma Bovary. She seemed rather unsophisticated to me.

Well I wouldn't call her sophisticated either, though my love for that character might say otherwise. I think when I look at Emma I see a person who wanted to be swept away, someone who wanted a crazy love story life. She settled for what she could but fought in her own way to find what she wanted. Dodo has some similarities here, she obviously is looking for a mentor/father/teacher but settles with what she can, whether it is the knowledge or the figure she seeks and how far she is willing to go to get it is the question. Where I see them differ is what I eluded to, if Dodo's ambitions come crumbling down I do not see her being as radical as Emma. But who knows, I am usually wrong in trying to predict the outcome of novels haha.

Finished Stephen King's The Dead Zone. Loved the low-key feel the book had, and I liked that the "evil" in the book was anything but supernatural. Religious fanaticism, media, criminals, politicians, insurance (or a lack thereof), a lot of the book felt like King just musing on shitty aspects of society in a very entertaining way. Johnny Smith was a great protagonist and I can relate to his general reluctance to get involved in anything. Last thing I'll say is that for a book about someone who can see the future, there are some pretty prescient parallels between Greg Stillson and a certain American president. Made for an interesting read in 2016.

After having it sit on my shelf for years (I bought it the week it came out), I've finally gotten around to reading All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Really enjoying it so far and I can only imagine how much research went into the book.

On audiobook, I'm listening to Trevor Noah's Born a Crime and on Kindle I'm reading Hidden Figures. Starting the year off with some great titles. :)

kevin1025

Banned
I was mega sick for nearly 10 days straight, so I failed miserably at the promise of finishing Swan Song in a short amount of time. But now I'm focused back on it, post haste!

I feel good about this year. I plan on reading a bunch this year. Really enjoying reading everyone else's choices, too.

Number45

I've set myself a much more realistic challenge this year (50 last year was silly in hindsight, particularly with some of the books I started the year on) - 25 I'm sure I can achieve!

Although I've picked a couple of fairly hefty tomes to start with in Swan Song and The Once and Future King.

cover1.jpg

Just finished it (tecnically it was a December reading, I was just missing to finish a short story).

51xwPegEzlL._SL1500_.jpg

Half way throught. This book goes into places. Fascinating reading about the Cognitive Revolution of mankind. Althought after it the books becomes more repetitive, but still very interesting.

And I think I will continue with this one:

41WMz8edCxL._SL1500_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom