• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought Leviathan Wakes and The Way of Kings yesterday. I know next to nothing about either book but was feeling nostalgic for some sf/fantasy. Think I'll start with Leviathan for no particular reason other than the cover appealing to me more.

You've done well. You've done damn well.

Zona

I just started reading
51-koe6eZ4L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

and I'm about 40 pages in and very confused. Approximately 35 pages have been pure exposition.
I understand this book is the first in a trilogy, but set in an already-established universe - for anyone who's read both, should I stop and find the earlier books in this series or will it end up making more sense? It's explaining a lot so I don't feel too lost, but at the same time I feel like this is mostly recap stuff for if you've read his other books.

I recommend reading the first two, Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. You'll feel less lost if you do though honestly you're still likely to feel somewhat lost. That authors style includes huge amounts of world building and exposition that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Amongst many, many other things since my last post in this thread I've recently finished-
514c5dGceQL._SL600_.jpg

It was fascinating but I wish my library had the most recent edition. Some parts seem overly broad in focus but I think that can be forgiven in a book that attempts to analyze 14000 or so years of human history.

Cade

I recommend reading the first two, Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained. You'll feel less lost if you do though honestly you're still likely to feel somewhat lost. That authors style includes huge amounts of world building and exposition that's not going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Haha, okay. I'll probably shelve it for now since it's not a library book and I can afford to wait.

Bazza

I finished 'Time' by Steven Baxter today, quite liked it especially the squid chapters. Definitely going to have to read The Long Mars before I move onto 'Space'. I need something a bit more light-hearted after the end of 'Time' was a little bleak.

Mannequin

16000349.jpg

Laird Barron - The Beautiful Thing That Awaits Us All (2013) - ★★★★

This book is insane. I can't really define it by genre since it jumps all over the place, but it's always creepy and borderline horror in its elements. The short stories are all consistently good, and are loosely tied in their settings and underlying themes. The self-titled closer is the highlight of the book, providing the perfect bookend to an excellent read.

I hesitate to go into the specifics of any of the stories because once a person knows what's behind the curtain, the journey to that unveiling loses steam. Suffice it to say you won't be disappointed if you give this a read.

This sounds awesome, going to order it.

Cfh123

I am fascinated by North Korea and have read several books on the subject.

This is an excellent novel (I'm about 90% through and am most curious how it will end):

J3FTzMY.png

obin_gam

Im currently reading: The Last Wish

51fA7fl5CwL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm trying to get into the fantasy genre and so far this seems like a great purchase/start. I was already a fan of the video game.

I got so disappointed by that one. I had read Game of Thrones before it and coming to The Last Wish was like entering a kindergarten language lesson directly from a ivy league college language lesson :/

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Almost done with Robert E. Howard's "A witch shall be born". So far all the Conan stories have really impressed me. Really they're sort of breezy pulp if that's your thing. They remind me a ton of my old, beloved "Remo Williams: The Master of Sinanju" books my dad gave me. Conan is always the baddest, smartest, toughest, strongest, most attractive mother fucker in the room. Women want him, men quake in fearful respect of him, and even dark gods and creatures from Without don't fuck with him for long.

I really, really love the mix of dark fantasy, Cosmic horror, and pulp. It so totally works and it's all so complimentary.

Moving on I've got some more Conan books to work on and then I'm at a bit of a crossroads while I continue the expansion of my exposure to this type of literature. I don't know whether to hit up some of Rice Burrough's John Carter of Mars stuff or go way back to the collected works of Poe. We're all familiar with Poe's more famous works, but are his lesser-known stories worth the investment?

Futureman

just finished Telegraph Avenue by Chabon. He's my fav author and I loved it!

Just started..... dum dum DUM! Harry Potter!

Any issue watching each movie as I finish each book?

What are your thoughts on it thus far?

Now I want to read both about the Middle-East and Disney. I need your assistance, peeps! Gimme some non-fiction golds.

Only a few chapters in but it's as depressing as I thought it would be. It highlights how the American view of well there's nothing we could have done has historically been how we deal with things we don't want to accept as reality. Well written though.

This week I listened to...
9780307986986_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG

So many wrong ideas in this book, plus he compares his comedy to Greg Proops, I do not see that at all.
Prey-by-Michael-Crichton.jpg

Timeline.jpg

Started listening to...
dune.jpg

X-Frame

Now I'm about 65% into Leviathan Wakes, and regarding Holden & Miller,
did anyone else get a Ford & Arthur vibe from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy during some of their dialogue together?

I don't know, maybe it is just because I read the Hitchhiker's books only a few months ago, but I thought of Ford and Arthur a few times while reading the last several chapters.

Am I the only one? I probably am, ha.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now I'm about 65% into Leviathan Wakes, and regarding Holden & Miller,
did anyone else get a Ford & Arthur vibe from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy during some of their dialogue together?

I don't know, maybe it is just because I read the Hitchhiker's books only a few months ago, but I thought of Ford and Arthur a few times while reading the last several chapters.

Am I the only one? I probably am, ha.

It's very much a buddy-cop duo so I'm not surprised, although
Ford and Arthur
is... a bit of a stretch. I think it's because they're both kind of space adventures so your brain is just crossing the wires.

On the other hand, I haven't read
Hitchhiker's Guide
in years so it may be my memory that's fuzzy and there's more similarities than I thought. Which, again, wouldn't surprise me, because Leviathan Wakes isn't shy about drawing from popular fictional archetypes and you don't get more popular or fictional than
Ford and Arthur.

(BTW these were very weird spoilers. Out of deference to your spoiling I spoiled them as well, even though I think they are entirely unnecessary.)

Finally went back and finished Rum Punch. Great book. Having already seen Jackie Brown, of course I had the cast members pictured in my head as they talked. There were a few side-plots that I enjoyed, but I can see why Tarantino chose to cut them.

Now... nothing. I'm in the middle of a stressful move, and all my books are boxed up.

I just wrapped up A Storm of Swords and I am still reeling from that absolutely chilling final chapter.

Has anyone finished Cibola Burn yet? I'm eager to move on to the next book in the ASOIF series but I'll happily take a break if Cibola Burn is really great.
That said, I honestly don't know how much more of Captain James "oh god I'm so conflicted" Holden I can stand.

lightus

Finished up The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson a few days ago. It was great, I loved it. Very satisfying conclusion to the trilogy.

Now I'm on to Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey like everyone else here.

fakefaker

Finished up Koko Takes a Holiday by Kieran Shea and thought it was pretty fun, especially if you're into punk ass sci-fi that ruder that rude and destroys the male dominated archetype of traditional sci-fi.

Next up, The Space Merchants by Frederik Pohl.

11162494.jpg

Just finished Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King. It was okay, lots of cliches and padding but I felt compelled to find out what happened next. The ending was a little disappointing. Not one of King's best.

I finished Water Sleeps by Glen Cook late last night. ★★★★ - This ended up being the most revelatory book in the series in terms of explaining the Black Company's past, how they were formed, and why they came to be so feared in the south. It picks up quite a bit later than the previous novel and has a new annalist, but the core aspects and characters that make this team so great are all on display. Another semi-cliffhanger ending means I'm going straight into book nine, which is the last one currently published.

FnordChan

Is this cyberpunkish? Kinda looks it from the cover. When I'm done with Cibola Burn I'm gonna get back into cyberpunk mode. Already have Hardwired lined up and ready to go.

The Space Merchants was published in 1952, so it predates the cyberpunk movement by thirty years or so and is stylistically completely different. Thematically, however, it's similar, in that it's about the future where corporations run everything, though the emphasis is on satire rather than burning chrome or what have you.

Meanwhile, I've started reading Hammered, the third Iron Druid novel by Kevin Hearne. I can't say these books are amazing or that I'd give them glowing recommendations, but they're fun, solid urban fantasy reads in the Dresden Files vein and I'm going through them like candy so they've got that addictive quality that fast paced serial fiction can achieve.

FnordChan

Mars477

Banned
Just finished book 1 of the Kenzie and Gennaro series, A Drink Before the War by Dennis Lehane. Thought it was pretty damn good. Prose and dialogue are well done, the two leads are interesting and sympathetic and their relationship* (as it is) is enjoyable, and while the book is ultimately about race relations in a place that was apparently even shitter twenty years ago and there are a few Author Filibusters that don't work, that whole part of the book still passes the "White Authors Not Fucking Up Writing About Not White People "test overall, simply by pure volume. 4.5/5.

It makes me sad that this book is 20 years old, and these days the James Patterson Production Line is still churning new stuff out.

* It also helps that, unlike NYPD RED, the male point of view character who's madly in love with his gorgeous female partner also takes the time to show that he's good friends with her for who she is as a person, and not simply because of her looks.

Clegg

I'm looking for some history, specifically about the Netherlands.

No tomes or textbooks, I just want to familiarize myself with their history, culture and socio-political landscape. Something that spans their emergence, to trade dominance, to where they are today as a modernized European nation.

Any suggestions?
I realise I'm super late with this, and its not what you're looking for but I have a suggestion if you're still looking for books. Jonathan Israel's 'The Dutch Republic:Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall' is a very comprehensive history on the emergence of the Netherlands, the importance of William of Orange, Van Oldenbarnevelt, Jan De Witt, Maurice of Nassau, the Stadholderate, the Golden Age, economic and trade expansion, and the eventual decline of the Dutch empire. Its a monster too: over 1000 pages. Too long by far, but everything is divided into sections so you can dip in and out of what interests you.

Alternatively, Herbert Rowen's 'Princes of Orange' is a much smaller book which details the lives and careers of the various rulers of the House of Orange. The most important political dynasty during the formation and expansion of the Dutch Empire. Both of these suggestions are textbooks but they're fascinating reads.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I realise I'm super late with this, and its not what you're looking for but I have a suggestion if you're still looking for books. Jonathan Israel's 'The Dutch Republic:Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall' is a very comprehensive history on the emergence of the Netherlands, the importance of William of Orange, Van Oldenbarnevelt, Jan De Witt, Maurice of Nassau, the Stadholderate, the Golden Age, economic and trade expansion, and the eventual decline of the Dutch empire. Its a monster too: over 1000 pages. Too long by far, but everything is divided into sections so you can dip in and out of what interests you.

I found that when I looked through Amazon and it looked a bit too much for me. I went with Tulipomania. However, once I finish with that, and if I'm still in the mood for more Dutch, I'll try your recommendation.

Thanks!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
For people who listen to audiobooks during running/walking, I highly recommend The Old Ways by Robert McFarlane. And if you don't listen to audiobooks while walking/running, you should start with The Old Ways. And if you can't for some reason, just read The Old Ways.

Horseticuffs

Speaking of audiobooks, I just finished "Red Nails", a Conan story by Robert E. Howard. It was cool, but a bit light on the shambling horrors from black gulfs beyond the stars. Cool atmosphere, though, and it was my first introduction to the lady pirate, Valeria, who is a cool character. I hope she is in other stories, though I doubt it. Females seem to get short shrift in Howard's work.

I recently finished NOS4A2. I had kind of a funny experience about a week ago while reading it. On the bus, someone in front of me was listening to a Christmas song (in June). Kind of creepy. I half expected to see some vampire kids or smell gingerbread.

Reading Mystic River right now. I love mystery/detective novels.

Horseticuffs

I recently finished NOS4A2. I had kind of a funny experience about a week ago while reading it. On the bus, someone in front of me was listening to a Christmas song (in June). Kind of creepy. I half expected to see some vampire kids or smell gingerbread.

Reading Mystic River right now. I love mystery/detective novels.
I went through an 8 month period years back where something pertaining to Christmas happened in my life every day just by pure chance. Of course, looking back it was confirmation bias eventually. Still strange, though.

Seanspeed

Banned
Grabbed this from the library today. How far are you and how does it compare so far? It's probably way too early for that question. lol
Halfway through - its a bit slow, but I think things are picking up. I mean, I'm still enjoying it simply because I love the characters and the banter and the general universe that's been set up(not literal universe, but story universe), but it feels a bit more straightforward than previous books in terms of style. The other books all felt like there was a definable style, like Leviathan Wakes big on the 'who dunnit' aspect while Caliban's War had heavy action and horror. Abbadon's Gate was bigger on mystery and political aspects.

I suppose I'm getting the impression that this one is going for a more philosophical route, delving a bit into the nature of humanity. We'll see. Things have been getting very interesting now.

I went through an 8 month period years back where something pertaining to Christmas happened in my life every day just by pure chance. Of course, looking back it was confirmation bias eventually. Still strange, though.
I went through a period after 9/11 where I swear I saw 9:11 on a digital clock at least once per day. Felt creepy.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm reading the second book of The Dresden Files, I'm enjoying it simply because I like the universe and characters a lot but I feel the whole werewolves concept has been done to death already, here is hoping the next books get more inventive and original.

DieH@rd

Banned
I am currently reading Mistborn 3.

Recently finished Dresden Files Skin Game [awesome] & The Lost Fleet- Steadfast [awesome]. Upcoming audiobooks - Cibola Burn and Robogenesis. Good books all around . :)

I'm reading the second book of The Dresden Files, I'm enjoying it simply because I like the universe and characters a lot but I feel the whole werewolves concept has been done to death already, here is hoping the next books get more inventive and original.

Worst book of the series, but still enjoyable [especially one bloody battle]. Awesome universe-building is coming with upcoming books. Don't give up.

NeoGiff

I'm loving the series so far. I do miss the simple post-apocalyptic western tone of the first book somewhat, though. It's pretty clear that King is just making this stuff up as he goes along, but the series isn't any less entertaining or engrossing because of it!

jred2k

Under-the-Skin-Cover.jpg

I finished Under the Skin by Michel Faber yesterday. I'm still trying to fully collect my thoughts and write the review it deserves. I think the best way to summarize how I felt about the book is to say it was completely captivating. Every tiny reveal that is given just created more intrigue. It's rare a book can make me feel uncomfortable, but certain scenes are described so vividly it was impossible not to. I can't recommend it enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom