• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nezumi

Oh, to be reading Changes again for the first time.

You just have no idea. NO IDEA.

Yes! That would be so cool. I don't have trouble reading books I already know, but this is one of the few, where not knowing what is going to happen would be even more awesome.
Storm of Swords is another one that comes to mind.

LauNeOE.jpg

Douglas R. Egerton, great book about the election of 1860

ShaneB

Been slowing down since other things have gotten in the way (Starcraft 2), but really enjoying Childhood's End now, was a bit slow at the start, but glad I stuck with it. Should finish in a couple days.

Think next I'll read Moby Dick maybe. In the mood for a sea fareing adventure, and a classic, and that bits both of those. But I'll check for other books first maybe, who knows.

RoH

James S. A. Corey - The Expanse series. Not as good as the Void series but so far it's entertaining (read book two before book 1). Mark Alpert - Extinction. I'm mixed about this, it was okay, but then again I read it wicked fast so it must have been more than that on a subconscious level.

I think some Halo book comes out very soon, last one in the Forerunner Saga, i'll on that day one.

Number45

55399.jpg

And started Gardens of the Moon, which is 1 of 10 apparently. Recommended by a colleague at work - not what I usually read, but I'm enjoying it so far even though it's a slow opening third.
Finished Gardens of the Moon.

My only slight complaint would be that everything the book bills as an epic encounter is over in no time at all. Probably intentional, but you're often told how character A and character B are due to clash, and that nobody's sure who will come out alive... then it's over in no more than a few lines.

The characters are all interesting. You flit from one "side" to the other (it's not so one dimensional as to be able to shoehorn the characters into good/bad), but unlike the last epic fantasy I tried to read (it's a popular one) I didn't find myself wanting almost all of them to die. Even those characters that are supposed to be on the wrong side of things are treated equally, so that you feel you're losing something interesting whenever one of the (many) main characters departs us.

Looking forward to continuing the series, although I'll take a bit of a break.

Next up:

51caCWlIQIL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

600 Hours of Edward

I had a voucher for a £1 book on Amazon and decided to use it on something completely different to what I'd usually read. Written from the point of view of an OCD sufferer over a 25 day period of his life (at least that's my take from the little I've read).

We'll see.

Almost finished

tumblr_m8gn1nzPA11rd0ue6o1_500.jpg

I'm at the last chapter. Although I haven't finished it yet, I have enjoyed every minute of it.

Bought myself Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Blood Meridian and The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories.

What should I read first?

DagsJT

I found Cloud Atlas to be pretty hard going at times, some of the chapters were kinda annoying because of the dialect or just not that interesting. On the other hand, some chapters were excellent. I gave it 3/5 on Goodreads.

Now reading Wool Omnibus. Pretty great score on Goodreads and heard a lot about it. My wife read it recently and gave it 5/5, saying it was one of the best books she's read. I'm 20% in and really enjoying it.

FL4TW4V3

Just finished reading:

zlXPO3B.jpg

A very interesting insight into the american correctional system. It is like reading a (very) long magazine article, which is not bad at all.

...and just started reading:

0De70JB.jpg

After I started playing The Witcher 2 a few days ago I felt the world of the game is pretty engrossing and wanted to read the book that started it all.

After finishing Small Gods from Terry Pratchett last month I've read Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card), Grave Peril (Jim Butcher) and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (L. Frank Baum) so far this month. I did enjoy all three books - Ender's Game was absolutely great and I have no idea why I've never read this before. I did like the first two books of the Dresden Files but now I understand why a lot of people say that this series gets even better with the third or fourth part. I'm absolutely looking forward to Summer Knight but I took a break from the science fiction and fantasy genre and am reading now The Scarlet Letter from Nathaniel Hawthorne and Ulysses from James Joyce which I'm reading in a group this month. I had a few problems with the beginning of The Scarlet Letter but after about 20% I was used to the writing style and the story got better. I can't really say much about Ulysses at the moment because I've only read the first two chapters so far.

Milchjon

Anyone have recommendations for a (semi-)short, bittersweet, good romantic novel? Because I'm in the mood for that.
Something like Max Frisch's Montauk (although I doubt too many non-German speakers are familiar with his work).

Nezumi

I'm absolutely looking forward to Summer Knight but I took a break from the science fiction and fantasy genre and am reading now The Scarlet Letter from Nathaniel Hawthorne and Ulysses from James Joyce which I'm reading in a group this month. I had a few problems with the beginning of The Scarlet Letter but after about 20% I was used to the writing style and the story got better. I can't really say much about Ulysses at the moment because I've only read the first two chapters so far.

Ulysses was one of those books, that I really wanted to like, but in the end couldn't help but hating it. It is just so constructed.

Burger

4wIUPST.jpg

It's about an astronaut trying to survive on Mars as long as possible. I like the scientific approach to the different problems (food, water, air, energy) and how resourceful the protagonist is. Very informative and entertaining imo.

Picked this up yesterday after my Kindle said I should read it. Looking forward to reading it but until then I'm reading this gem:

510h2ZJLMpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

After reading recommendations in this thread. Love it.

^Fantastic PA book right there.

How was Red Country?

Meh. It wasn't nearly as good The First Law trilogy but it was better than The Heroes. Its just lacking heart and charm of the First Law. It also lacks character development. Everyone is a toughy for the sake of being a toughy. The only person you get to know about (and the only person who isn't a hard ass) and therefore the only person you really care for is Temple. Even Logen and Cosca .. two previously phenomenal characters .. are just kind of wallpaper in this. I'm worried Abercrombie has lost his way.

Also, what I didnt understand ...
In the very beginning of the book there's a small plotline about Caul Shivers tracking Logen's group to get revenge on Nine Fingers but then that thread is abandoned until the final pages where Shivers pops up out of the blue and says hello to Nine Fingers and then is like "Welp, see ya later" and thats it. I'm not sure what the point of all that build up was.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Read this, was pretty meh. Haven't read Robopocalypse and this didn't really make me want to, although I've heard it's much better.

Amped by Daniel H. Wilson

robopocolypse is waaaay waay better. amped was quite shit, robopocolypse deserves to have a movie made about it. It's basically world war z with robots.

reading the dog stars now, what a great book.

it's about a dude after a superflu wipes out most of humanity, this guy and his gun nut neigbour live on a small airport and they live day by day keeping 'the perimeter' safe. It's soo great.

Nymerio

Finished Changes yesterday and holy fucking shit:
Dresden breaks his back, get's fixed again by becoming the Winter Knight, launches an assault on the Red King with the help of fucking Odin, kills Arianna and sacrifices the mother of his child to kill every Red Court vampire on the planet. And then he get's shot. Gonna start Ghost Story tonight, I hope this isn't his "die alone" death and that he is still the Winter Knight.
Best book I've read so far this year.

Just finished :

200px-Revelation_Space_cover_(Amazon).jpg

The end is simply marvelous, it took so much and leave so much to be done at the same time

Just started :

galactic_north.jpg

And already bought House of suns :p

Salazar

Caspar Henderson's Book of Barely Imagined Beings.

Got a dinner tonight, or else I'd be going to hear him talk about it.

Sensational book. Anybody remotely interested in science needs it. Beautiful object, moreover. The art is divine.

ShaneB

So many great suggestions in this thread, it's always hard to decide what to read next.
KuGsj.gif

Robopocolyspe does sound like something I'd love, but I'm going to jump in as well with reading The Dog Stars, really does sound fantastic.

Seanspeed

Banned
Just finished :

200px-Revelation_Space_cover_(Amazon).jpg

The end is simply marvelous, it took so much and leave so much to be done at the same time
I had to read the next one immediately because of that. If you're itching to learn more, it explains a lot.

Haven't checked out the non-series books yet. Let us know what you think of em.

You're in for a treat with Lonesome Dove. It is unbelievably good. I've read it three times, and loved it every time. It might be my favorite book ever, and certainly it's on a short list.

Fucking epic adventure. Great Characters. Great writing.

I don't see Lonesome Dove mentioned often enough in these threads. Everybody should read it, even if you aren't into the old west or historical novels.

In particular, I think fans of Epic Fantasy would enjoy Lonesome Dove. The feeling of adventure and sense of scale is very similar to what you'd find in some of the better large-scale Fantasy works and it transports you in the same kind of way.

There are a whole series of books written later about the characters, 2 prequels and a sequel, I think.. They're great, but they aren't quite as good as Lonesome Dove, and I think it's better to read them roughly in the order they were written in, rather than chronological order. The prequels rely somewhat on your familiarity with these characters, and part of their appeal is taking you back and showing you how Gus, Call and etc came of age.
Is it good as just as standalone book?

I'm ordering Leviathan Wakes as I'm in the mood for sci-fi, but I also wanted to get something else thats not a series. Always heard great things about Lonesome Dove and was curious if its still worth reading on its own or whether you need to read the others.

Ashes

Banned
Caspar Henderson's Book of Barely Imagined Beings.

Got a dinner tonight, or else I'd be going to hear him talk about it.

Sensational book. Anybody remotely interested in science needs it. Beautiful object, moreover. The art is divine.

ditch reschedule the babe. Meet the artist amigo.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Finished Changes yesterday and holy fucking shit:
Dresden breaks his back, get's fixed again by becoming the Winter Knight, launches an assault on the Red King with the help of fucking Odin, kills Arianna and sacrifices the mother of his child to kill every Red Court vampire on the planet. And then he get's shot. Gonna start Ghost Story tonight, I hope this isn't his "die alone" death and that he is still the Winter Knight.
Best book I've read so far this year.

well I won't give anything away, but the series doesn't take a dive in being awesome. I think you have 2 more books to go before you enter the sad land of 'no more dresden novels' where I currently live :(

dude needs to write faster!

effzee

I finished the Chaos Walking trilogy and thought I would take a little break from reading but I guess I need it bad. Can't listen to the same songs on my commute and all of a sudden the itch came right back.

So a question on what I should read next. I was thinking of Robopocolypse but some of the fantasy options look intriguing. Don't think I have read any fantasy genre books unless Harry Potter counts.

Is "Gardens of the Moon" a good start?

Also are the Butcher Dresden Files books in chronological order? If I want to get into that series where should I start?

Thanks in advance!

Number45

My fantasy reads (aside from horror) consist of:

Harry Potter
The Hobbit
Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion (now THIS is hard to get into)
A Game of Thrones (first two books)

And I had no trouble getting into it at all.

Seanspeed

Banned
I finished the Chaos Walking trilogy and thought I would take a little break from reading but I guess I need it bad. Can't listen to the same songs on my commute and all of a sudden the itch came right back.

So a question on what I should read next. I was thinking of Robopocolypse but some of the fantasy options look intriguing. Don't think I have read any fantasy genre books unless Harry Potter counts.

Also are the Butcher Dresden Files books in chronological order? If I want to get into that series where should I start?

Thanks in advance!
I've looked into Gardens of the Moon before and I've heard its a bit difficult in the beginning. Maybe not the best book to start out with if its your first fantasy novel.

I know its a generic recommendation, but A Song of Ice and Fire series(Game of Thrones) really is amazing. Its fantasy, but its accessible fantasy and its addicting like crack. If you aren't watching the show, I'd say to definitely check it out.

Krowley

I had to read the next one immediately because of that. If you're itching to learn more, it explains a lot.

Haven't checked out the non-series books yet. Let us know what you think of em.

Is it good as just as standalone book?

I'm ordering Leviathan Wakes as I'm in the mood for sci-fi, but I also wanted to get something else thats not a series. Always heard great things about Lonesome Dove and was curious if its still worth reading on its own or whether you need to read the others.

Lonesome Dove is absolutely fine on its own. Think of the other books as an extra that you can partake in at some point if you want. That's exactly how it feels to read them.

Nymerio

well I won't give anything away, but the series doesn't take a dive in being awesome. I think you have 2 more books to go before you enter the sad land of 'no more dresden novels' where I currently live :(

dude needs to write faster!

Yeah there's only Ghost Story and than Cold Days remaining. I'll have start looking into what I'm going to be reading after that.

Ahh.

Maklershed, do you have a top 5?

Hmmm very tough question because there's a lot of great stuff out there and my list could change every other day but right now I'd say ...

1. A Canticle for Leibowitz
2. World Made by Hand
3. The Postman
4. The Dog Stars
5. Old Man and the Wasteland

Honorable mentions: Eternity Road, Earth Abides, Alas Babylon, Lucifer's Hammer, The Road, Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood, Parable of the Sower, Parable of the Talents

Anyone have recommendations for a (semi-)short, bittersweet, good romantic novel? Because I'm in the mood for that.
Something like Max Frisch's Montauk (although I doubt too many non-German speakers are familiar with his work).

Not familiar with Montauk, but this wasn't bad. I became curious when my gf was reading it and wouldn't stop crying every 5 minutes. Anyway I actually ended up really liking it despite it being out of my comfort zone.

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

Also, what I didnt understand ...
In the very beginning of the book there's a small plotline about Caul Shivers tracking Logen's group to get revenge on Nine Fingers but then that thread is abandoned until the final pages where Shivers pops up out of the blue and says hello to Nine Fingers and then is like "Welp, see ya later" and thats it. I'm not sure what the point of all that build up was.

I think there's a few different ways to take it. Either Caul simply knew he would die and decided to live, or he saw that Logen was still damaged and hated and decided to leave him be in miserable existence, or decided that he would finally let it go and move on like he tried to do in BSC.

Still was a letdown. I was also sad that there was no Bloody Nine POV, such a tease.

robopocolypse is waaaay waay better. amped was quite shit, robopocolypse deserves to have a movie made about it. It's basically world war z with robots.

Guess I'll give it a go at some point then. Also have The Dog Stars but read a few chapters and the distracting writing style kept me from getting into it. I didn't. Know why. It. Was written. Like this. Got on my nerves.

ShaneB

Guess I'll give it a go at some point then. Also have The Dog Stars but read a few chapters and the distracting writing style kept me from getting into it. I didn't. Know why. It. Was written. Like this. Got on my nerves.

Heh, yeah, I am finding that as well. It definitely feels very odd to read, but I'm just going to assume it's just a characteristic of a narration of a man who is probably gone a little crazy from the situation he's in. Who knows. It's a short read it seems, so I'll blast through it.

Nymerio

You greedy bastard! There's been (at least) one of these a year since the first one came out. Think of the poor ASoIaF fans.

I'm both :/ The amount of waiting having to put up with for the different series I'm following is ridiculous :(

Burger

Hmmm very tough question because there's a lot of great stuff out there and my list could change every other day but right now I'd say ...

1. A Canticle for Leibowitz
2. World Made by Hand
3. The Postman
4. The Dog Stars
5. Old Man and the Wasteland

Honorable mentions: Eternity Road, Earth Abides, Alas Babylon, Lucifer's Hammer, The Road, Oryx and Crake, Year of the Flood, Parable of the Sower, Parable of the Talents

Hmm how do I subscribe to a post? :)

Thanks!

Heh, yeah, I am finding that as well. It definitely feels very odd to read, but I'm just going to assume it's just a characteristic of a narration of a man who is probably gone a little crazy from the situation he's in. Who knows. It's a short read it seems, so I'll blast through it.

Yeah I just gotta find a rhythm I think. Really wanna finish it since it's so highly regarded and the dog is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom