• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2013)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Don't forget to visit the Neogaf Book Club Thread

The book for February/March is Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
History Books
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

General/Fiction
Horror Fiction
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Scary Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Non-western literature

Sci-fi/Fantasy
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Fantasy Books
Epic Fantasy
Fantasy Literature

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

Guevara

The Eisenhorn omnibus (Warhammer 40K)

51yLmONpuGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm not going to say it's the best book I've ever read, but it's my first exposure to WH40K and I love the universe. Really this is 3 novels and 2 short stories, and I'm just about done with the second novel (Maleus).

I'd love suggestions as to what to read next.

thomaser

71F1ZK711AL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.gif

"M is for Malice" by Sue Grafton. I went into it expecting a very somber, creepy detective novel, but so far it has been quite the opposite. Lots of humour on every page. Haven't got to the murder yet, though (it's a detective novel - there has to be a murder somewhere!)

f0rk

51yLmONpuGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm not going to say it's the best book I've ever read, but it's my first exposure to WH40K and I love the universe. Really this is 3 novels and 2 short stories, and I'm just about done with the second novel (Maleus).

The rule I've found for 40k fiction is if it's not written by Dan Abnett don't bother. If you want something similar to Eisenhorn then there is a spin off focused on Ravenor. There is also the loonnggg series Gaunt's Ghosts that focuses more on actual war and ordinary humans. I really enjoyed Horus Rising, but the books following aren't written by Abnett and a lot worse unfortunately.

Shadybiz

I'm about halfway through Team of Rivals, by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Really an excellent book, and I am learning quite a lot.

images

When I am done with that, I will start on either Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire, by Simon Baker,

images

or Rubicon, by Tom Holland.

images

Finished Make Room! Make Room! and I can't recommend it enough. The first 5 star book I've read in a while. In addition to having what I feel is a great message about birth control, conservation, and the environment, it's also an all around great semi-apocalypse story. As some people familiar with these threads / my posts might possibly know, I'm a huge post-apocalypse nut and this book scares me the most because it jives with my guess at how the world (as we know it) could possibly end. Not with an asteroid, or a black hole, or an alien invasion, or volcanic eruption, or massive earthquake, or nuclear bomb - but with over population and consumption of natural resources past the breaking point towards a slow collapse of society in general. Its really tragic that this book got turned into a movie where the only thing that people know about the story is that 'soylent green is people' (a fact not even mentioned in the book). Make Room! Make Room is $5.38 for the Kindle version on Amazon right now and I highly recommend it.

Started Dune Messiah

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
2KaFV3W.jpg

Second time around, will probably read again sometime in the near future. There's just so much to grab from this book. Uncompromisingly brutal and violent, almost to an unnecessary extent but I suppose that's the whole point.

The Judge is slowly becoming my favourite literary character of all time.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

I'm pretty sure he's the
devil!!

KingGondo

Banned
Read this last month:
Going%20Clear%20Book%20Cover%20-%20P%202013.jpg

Really enjoyed it. Even for someone well-versed in Scientology, there were some shocking revelations contained in the book, and it was very straightforwardly written. Really makes me want to read The Looming Tower.

(Side note: As soon as I Googled "going clear" to get the above image, I *knew* that the Church of Scientology would have purchased the top ad result. And they did. It's all about information control with them, and it's actually kind of scary how persistent and single-minded they are.)

Now reading:

Guevara

The rule I've found for 40k fiction is if it's not written by Dan Abnett don't bother. If you want something similar to Eisenhorn then there is a spin off focused on Ravenor. There is also the loonnggg series Gaunt's Ghosts that focuses more on actual war and ordinary humans. I really enjoyed Horus Rising, but the books following aren't written by Abnett and a lot worse unfortunately.

Thanks for the advice.

I've had a few drinks, but I'm going to give my status anyway. Who knows - maybe I'll look silly and (finally?) get a signature, but here it goes...

I just finished Infinite Jest last night 2/27 (exclusively started reading in Sept. '12 on my honeymoon (subnote: this was a delayed honeymoon as my wife and I had originally planned it in May '12 but we postponed due to a personal/videotape issue)) and to be honest I'm pretty proud of myself. I met a goal of finishing it before my 30th birthday on March 21st. I started it not knowing what I was getting into (reading the plot synopsis: "a movie that paralyzes viewers" sounds pretty cool...) and now that it's over I'm sad to leave the world of the ETA/Ennet House/AZ/Wheelchair Assassins, etc. I wish I was smart enough to claim I understood it all and I "finished" the book, but the truth is I grasped enough bits and pieces of the novel to enjoy it and realize it's worth a second reading down the road. I cheated on a lot of the novels I was assigned in high school with Cliff's Notes (i.e. Crime&Punishment, etc), but Infinite Jest connected with me (while admittedly not getting the whole of it) and was a great experience. I'm hoping to keep this momentum and read other good books following after this.

I decided to follow up IJ and purchase "Tenth of December" by George Saunders after hearing a cool interview with the author on the radio. I'm hoping to keep this motivation for literature continuing for a bit.

Lumiere

Neo Member
Finished Make Room! Make Room! and I can't recommend it enough. The first 5 star book I've read in a while. In addition to having what I feel is a great message about birth control, conservation, and the environment, it's also an all around great semi-apocalypse story. As some people familiar with these threads / my posts might possibly know, I'm a huge post-apocalypse nut and this book scares me the most because it jives with my guess at how the world (as we know it) could possibly end. Not with an asteroid, or a black hole, or an alien invasion, or volcanic eruption, or massive earthquake, or nuclear bomb - but with over population and consumption of natural resources past the breaking point towards a slow collapse of society in general. Its really tragic that this book got turned into a movie where the only thing that people know about the story is that 'soylent green is people' (a fact not even mentioned in the book). Make Room! Make Room is $5.38 for the Kindle version on Amazon right now and I highly recommend it.
I picked it up when it was the Kindle Daily Deal last week but didn't plan on reading it any soon - went up in my priority list thanks to your review, though. :)

I'm also curious to hear how you find Dune Messiah - been thinking of reading it but I've heard both positive and negative feedback before.

2KaFV3W.jpg

Second time around, will probably read again sometime in the near future. There's just so much to grab from this book. Uncompromisingly brutal and violent, almost to an unnecessary extent but I suppose that's the whole point.

The Judge is slowly becoming my favourite literary character of all time.

"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent."

I'm pretty sure he's the
devil!!

His Border Trilogy and Suttree are like my go to books when traveling. I highly recommend them, if you haven't read it already.

gabbo

In the middle of this:
cxSBNWI.jpg

It's something I've had a hard time just picking up and reading at a given time since starting it, as I find the story so hard to just jump into and out of. It may have had to do with me starting this while I was in the middle of Roadside Picnic, which absolutely hums along at a much faster pace. That said, I absolutely love the world and the characters so far. Would love if anyone had any recommendations of similar books (thematically similar, similar plots).

Dresden

JIxLKPO.jpg

Fun read - lots of violence, destruction, and mass-scale suffering. There's something fascinatingly modern about 15th/16th century warfare in the Mediterranean, where men fought in cramped trenches or assaulted fortifications designed rigorously by Italian engineers. Pikes and other such melee weaponry, phased out in favor of muskets and more exotic implements like flamethrowers, buckshot launchers, and hand grenades. Not to mention the rampant piracy on both sides, often in search of slaves.

Grabbed M. John Harrison's Light to follow up after this.

Just finished Fahrenheit 451 because i'm giving it away for World book Night and I hadn't read it in a decade.

Farneheit_451.jpg

Better than I remember. Next up, I'm not sure. Maybe The Book Thief if it comes in the mail quickly enough. If not, maybe i'll finally read Dune.

ShaneB

Yay new thread.

I'm stuck again, deciding what to read next. :( I figure I'll be watching The Hobbit soon, and that will make me want to read the book, and there's no doubt I'll love it, but eh, I'm not I'm in a fantasy reading mood right now per se. Kinda want to keep with the Whodunnit/Mystery theme.

Yay new thread.

I'm stuck again, deciding what to read next. :( I figure I'll be watching The Hobbit soon, and that will make me want to read the book, and there's no doubt I'll love it, but eh, I'm not I'm in a fantasy reading mood right now per se. Kinda want to keep with the Whodunnit/Mystery theme.

The Alienist is my favorite mystery thriller ever, though admittedly I haven't read a ton in the genre.

It's about a serial killer in 1896 New York. The team tracking the killer is led by Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, who is on the cutting edge of using psychology and new forensic techniques to track and profile the killer.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

I'm still working on Wasteland of Flint, which is turning out to be pretty damn good. It's like a Peter Hamilton novel, without all the slog and bad editing.

Wasteland of Flint by Thomas Harlan

I picked it up when it was the Kindle Daily Deal last week but didn't plan on reading it any soon - went up in my priority list thanks to your review, though. :)

Please let me know what you think when you get to it. Interested in hearing other GAFers opinions on it.

Yay new thread.

This reminds me - I've been on a 1940s noir movie kick lately and would like some book recommendations to go with it. Basically any books that L.A. Noire (the video game) could've been based on would be good.

IOB6IUV.jpg

I'm hoping to put a decent dent in it this weekend. I've been busy with work this week and my lunch hour reads have been severely disrupted.

nel e nel

9780520270312.jpg

Just finishing up the concluding arguments on this one. My work bought this and "Whistling Vivaldi" for us to read and discuss, but apparently I'm the only one who even bothered to crack this one open. It's an interesting look into the lack of consensus of what 'race' is among academia, and how that lack of consensus has filtered it's way into the general public.

road_to_madness.jpg

I've already read this, but I wanted to revisit "At The Mountains of Madness" after finishing Dead Space 3. Folks keep referencing The Thing in regards to that game, but they are so so wrong. ;)

argon

claudius-the-god.jpg

Just started the sequel to I, Claudius. Pretty good so far.

517bYTe63-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Interested in improving my knowledge of the .NET Task framework.

Salsa

a-game-of-thrones-book-one-of-songs-of-fire-and-ice.jpg

almost done

and yeah, it's good. I watched season 1 of the show though so im looking forward to finish it and starting the second one, where I dont know the plot.

ShaneB

The Alienist is my favorite mystery thriller ever, though admittedly I haven't read a ton in the genre.

It's about a serial killer in 1896 New York. The team tracking the killer is led by Dr. Laszlo Kreizler, who is on the cutting edge of using psychology and new forensic techniques to track and profile the killer.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

This does sound pretty interesting.. but... ehhhhh :(

This is all you need, been reading for over 6 months and have barely made a dent. All the crime and noir you could ever want from the 20s through the 40s.

The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps by Otto Penzler

This sounds pretty cool too, but ehhhh

Dammit :( Fuck it, I'll read The Hobbit.

Fjordson

The Martian by Andy Weir. It's great. Basically the journal entries of an astronaut left by the rest of his crew on Mars, now stranded and trying to survive.

This reminds me - I've been on a 1940s noir movie kick lately and would like some book recommendations to go with it. Basically any books that L.A. Noire (the video game) could've been based on would be good.
Raymond Chandler is probably my favourite noir author. When L.A. Noire was coming out two years ago I went and re-read a few of his books to get in the mood :lol

Farewell My Lovely, The Long Goodbye, and The Big Sleep (the basis for the Bogart movie) are my favourite three books of his. All set in LA, very noir, they're great.

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett is another classic. It's kinda short at only 200 pages, but certainly worth reading. Same goes for The Postman Always Rings Twice. Loved it, but it's less than 150 pages.

James Ellroy is also very good. L.A. Confidential is a classic, though maybe not as interesting if you've seen the movie. I'd recommend The Big Nowhere. Revolves around a set of unsolved murders in LA. Super dark, great read from start to finish.

If you're in the mood for something other than novels, all of the classic short stories that really created the genre are worth going back to. That Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps that Mackenzie 92 recommended is a great pick up. As is The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories (released by the same company and done by the same editor as the Big Book of Pulps release).

I don't get the love for Blood Meridian. I know I'm in the minority here, but I recently bought it on my Kindle and struggled to finish. Maybe it gets better on subsequent rereads but I found the entire thing so laborious. More than likely I whiffed completely on the point of the book.

*edit - currently reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

eattomorro

Neo Member
If you're in the mood for something other than novels, all of the classic short stories that really created the genre are worth going back to. That Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps that Mackenzie 92 recommended is a great pick up. As is The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories (released by the same company and done by the same editor as the Big Book of Pulps release).[/QUOTE]

I 2nd this as well; and if anyone wants more pulp, head here:

http://www.pulpcomingattractions.com/

As for me, I'm currently reading I, Robot by Isaac Asimov

This is all you need, been reading for over 6 months and have barely made a dent. All the crime and noir you could ever want from the 20s through the 40s.

The Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps by Otto Penzler

The Martian by Andy Weir. It's great. Basically the journal entries of an astronaut left by the rest of his crew on Mars, now stranded and trying to survive.

Raymond Chandler is probably my favourite noir author. When L.A. Noire was coming out two years ago I went and re-read a few of his books to get in the mood :lol

Farewell My Lovely, The Long Goodbye, and The Big Sleep (the basis for the Bogart movie) are my favourite three books of his. All set in LA, very noir, they're great.

The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett is another classic. It's kinda short at only 200 pages, but certainly worth reading. Same goes for The Postman Always Rings Twice. Loved it, but it's less than 150 pages.

James Ellroy is also very good. L.A. Confidential is a classic, though maybe not as interesting if you've seen the movie. I'd recommend The Big Nowhere. Revolves around a set of unsolved murders in LA. Super dark, great read from start to finish.

If you're in the mood for something other than novels, all of the classic short stories that really created the genre are worth going back to. That Black Lizard Big Book of Pulps that Mackenzie 92 recommended is a great pick up. As is The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories (released by the same company and done by the same editor as the Big Book of Pulps release).

These recommendations sound great. Thanks to the both of you. I think maybe I'll start with The Big Sleep. Really enjoyed the vibe of the movie but the plot was a tad confusing so the book could help clear things up. The movie is reairing on TMC in a few days so I'll dvr it, read the book, and rewatch. Lately I've watched The Maltese Falcon, The Naked City, The Big Sleep, and LA Confidential. And I've just started Double Indemnity.

Barmaley

Neo Member

I disagree. I haven't read eisenhorn yet, but I found his other books (like horus rising, and that other one about ultramarines) in the wh40k universe to be good enough at best. I'd recommend you check out Aaron Dembski-Bowden's books, especially the night lords trilogy, starting with soul hunter. They are no literary masterworks, but great fun and competently written.

Sleepy

200px-Vineland.JPG

Pynchon's California novels are much better than people think. "More accessible" seems to be a negative signifier for most readers when it comes to his writing. These things are still weird and esoteric and dense (in places) as all hell.

Fjordson

These recommendations sound great. Thanks to the both of you. I think maybe I'll start with The Big Sleep. Really enjoyed the vibe of the movie but the plot was a tad confusing so the book could help clear things up. The movie is reairing on TMC in a few days so I'll dvr it, read the book, and rewatch. Lately I've watched The Maltese Falcon, The Naked City, The Big Sleep, and LA Confidential. And I've just started Double Indemnity.
Nice. It can be a very addicting genre, haha.

Off-topic noir movie recommendation: Out of the Past with Kirk Douglas and Robert Mitchum. I saw it for the first time a few days ago, total classic. I think Mitchum was just as much of a bad ass as Bogart.

VALIS

Re-reading this (James Blaylock, The Last Coin for the search engines) for the first time in at least 15 years:

6012560.jpg

In Blaylock's contemporary fantasy, the fate of the world falls into the hands of a daydreaming eccentric named Andrew Vanbergen. This quick-tempered Californian is muddling through the conversion of his rambling home into an inn and cafe when he unwittingly becomes one of the Caretakers who have kept the world safe for nearly two millennia. The danger is that someone like Andrew's mysterious guest Jules Pennyman will gather together Judas Iscariot's original 30 pieces of silver, thereby summoning up an apocalyptic magic. Against a lyric vision of the Southern California coast, cosmic conspiracy theories bump heads in a gleeful farce to produce another strange and wonderful book from the idiosyncratic author of Homunculus and Land of Dreams.

And it's every bit as fun as I remember it. Charmingly eccentric, well written, and also a page turner. An all-time favorite.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
^ I really need to do a full re-read of the series someday. I still haven't gotten around to reading the latest despite borrowing it from the library a while back (and promptly returning it when it was due).

Finished reading: Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut - Holy shit this might be my favorite book by him so far. It comes off as a bit random and unfocused throughout most of the duration, but the way he brings it all together in the last 20-pages is pure brilliance, I also feel he is one of the few artists along with Woody Allen that speaks my language in terms of personal views on the nature of our existence!

Now Reading: Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates - Only about two-chapters read thus far, but it seems decent so far, felt like it was the right time with my recent re-read of The Great Gatsby to get a another american classic under my belt. Also started a re-read of Slaughterhouse-Five, so it goes!

Dresden

The Vorkosigan talk reminds me that I still haven't read Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. Hopefully it's a step-up from the lackluster Cryoburn.

I really like Sandy Mitchell's Ciaphas Cain series, which is basically Flashman-lite set in the Warhammer 40K universe. Doesn't have the greatness of the latter, but Cain himself is a far more approachable hero (as in, not a rapist scoundrel and more of a self-deprecating hero) and it's an entertaining set of books.

Heart Shaped Box is $1.99 - worth a purchase?

Off-topic noir movie recommendation: Out of the Past with Kirk Douglas and Robert Mitchum. I saw it for the first time a few days ago, total classic. I think Mitchum was just as much of a bad ass as Bogart.
Gah curses, its not on streaming or airing on tv anytime soon. Never saw a Mitchum movie before. I'll keep that in mind. I love Bogart though. Thanks to doing the 50/50 challenge last year I forced myself to watch stuff I normally wouldn't have and watched Casablanca for the first time. I realized then how bad ass Bogart is. Since then in addition to Casablanca I've seen Key Largo, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, They Drive By Night, and my personal favorite - To Have and Have Not.

jdouglas

Not really relevant but I'm not really reading anything right now, and it feels pretty good. I have read so voraciously in the past that it was an addiction. My reading would interfere with my social life and schoolwork. Recently I've been training myself to savor books; I really enjoyed "The Piano Lesson" by August Wilson. It was a 100 page text and took me nearly 3 weeks to read. It was awesome.

Just started reading the first Mass Effect book in preparation for playing through all the games this month. It's okay, but I'm glad it's going to be a quick read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom