• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (March 2015)

Mumei

Really? Outside of the late introduction of the Deathly Hallows, things mostly seemed pretty well set up from the start. Or do you mean that stuff like quidditch and the magic system didn't make a lot of sense? Because that's definitely true, she could've done with some Brandon Sanderson-style revamps to that.

Maybe I am being unfair. I've never liked the transition from the early set of books (1 - 4) to the later books, and that's probably coloring how I remember it.

This is weird. Each book covers one year of a 7 year school. There are 7 books. That's milking?

Seven years?

I try to refrain from making judgements about the structural integrity of a seven volume series after only completing the first two volumes, yeah.

And yet I know the complete story from the films.

I'm failing to understand the logic of your argument here. It reminds me of freshman year in college when a dude tried to argue that we couldn't really form an opinion about ancient Mesopotamian culture because none of us were alive back then. Of course we can. Just like we can study Italian despite never living in Italy, or know the Matrix trilogy is garbage despite skipping the third film completely.

It's important to frame that opinion in that context. I stated up front that I read the first two books, found them to be terrible, and abandoned the book series. I did experience the complete story via film.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I don't think it's necessary to know the whole of something in order to have an opinion on it. Certainly having read two of the books is more than enough to know that it isn't for you. That's totally fine!

But your critiques are all the wrong ones. Like, you're attacking strong points of the series as weak points while ignoring the actual problems. This is probably because you've seen the movies and not read the books.

Thanks, Cyan.

leakey

justkidspsmith_1.jpg

Great memoir so far.

Akahige

Recently Read:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 3/5

Well written and easy read, I enjoyed it a lot. It did end on somewhat of a low point. I did find that the chapters rarely flowed together as one story that often, the time within the story moved very fast which I suppose is part of the reason for the ease of read but I still found it to be flawed

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 3/5

Extremely similar to the first on the pace of story and the ending was very similar, not enough explanation which reminded me of some Doctor Who level series final writing.

I did prefer the build of villain compared to the first.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - 4/5

Best one yet, I knew all the story beats from having seen the the movie a few times but I was fully engaged by it.
Ending reminded me of Doctor Who but in a good way this time with the use of time travel.
The last 50 or so pages were great, I couldn't put it down till I finished even at a late hour.

Currently Reading:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Just finished reading
the first Triwizard task with the dragons.

Enjoying it so far, the movie made the scale of everything seem so much larger if I remember correctly.
In the movie idn't the dragon task take place in a stadium? The book makes it seem like it was just in the woods with people gathered around and a table for the judges, I could be wrong about that but that is what I pictured when reading.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
She wrote the harry/ginny epilogue during the writing of book 2.

#allaccordingtoplan

Woorloog

Banned
Because it's warranted.

An extreme example, but as a new reader, I can see why some would be turned off. I'm around page 60 and it's getting easier, but it's a legitimate complaint IMO.

Using made-up* names for things that do no exists is perfectly normal in scifi and fantasy. I see nothing difficult about that, and there are "worse" examples than Dune.
Most of them end up being explained, or are obvious from the context (or at least when there's enough context).
Sometimes fiction does this badly of course. TV Tropes calls this "Calling a rabbit smeerp", where a smeerp is a thing that is just like a rabbit so the name is pointless. But most Dune's words either describe something that does not have a real (or English) equivalent, or to make the created world feel more real, by having it have its own customs, words and things.
One thing why i love Dune so much, many scifi worlds feel incredibly shallow.

Heck, sometimes real words are used confusingly, like The Force in Star Wars, which does not refer to force but is essentially magic. (Might be an example of that trope i mentioned above.)

*Funny thing about Dune's words is that they're based on real terms, evolution of language in-universe. For example, Kwisatz Haderach comes from Hebrew, and indeed does have similar meaning. Which is unusual for scifi in my experience, usually new words etc. have nothing to do with real things... (Though of course you find out about these only outside the book itself.)

Also funny thing about the Landsraad (in Dune, it is like a senate or parliament) as i notice you had it circled:
It took my ages to see why it would be an odd word for English speakers... because the word "raad" has a form in Finnish, "raati" (meaning council or jury or such, depending on the context), it was obvious for me. The problem was that i didn't realize there is no such term in English.

I don't think it's necessary to know the whole of something in order to have an opinion on it. Certainly having read two of the books is more than enough to know that it isn't for you. That's totally fine!

But your critiques are all the wrong ones. Like, you're attacking strong points of the series as weak points while ignoring the actual problems. This is probably because you've seen the movies and not read the books.

I've criticized the plotting, dialogue, pace, shallow characters, and Deus Ex Machina magic system. Which of those fall under the strong point category?

I'm more than willing to admit that my criticism centers on the movies more than the books, since that's what I've experienced. My wife said they are pretty faithful, but I don't know first hand. She loves both.

A lot changes in the following books.

Fun Fact: The Thorn of Emberlain is where Lynch originally believed the series should begin. However, he knew he needed to explore the back story, what led to the eruption of war, and then realized that it was so labyrinthine and dramatic that it needed three novels of its own. So was born The Lies of Locke Lamora, Red Seas Under Red Skies, and The Republic of Thieves. They are, essentially, an extended prologue.

Huh. Well that has me excited again. But then I keep hearing the third book isn't very good....I think I'll just wait and see when I get there.

6364657.jpg

If you listen to Welcome to Nightvale this book should interest you. No, it's not related but the town and goings-on are certainly similar. It's a very YA book but I got it in a Humble Bundle a year or so ago and I decided I should start to read some of those books instead of letting them all sit there and go to waste.

I'm currently reading Roadside Picnic. I'm barely into it and it's already got me completely hooked. I haven't played any of the Stalker games, so can anyone chime in with how well they relate?

Mr.Swag

Banned
I've always laughed at "magic systems" its magic, it cant be logical.

----
On the fourth chapter of Stoner and I like it a lot already. Characters are quirkier than I was expecting.

I've always laughed at "magic systems" its magic, it cant be logical.

Magic systems shouldn't adhere to internal logic created within the story? Just toss whatever you want out there? No internal consistency? No problem! It's magic, after all!

Yeah...no. That's lame. Harry Dresden and Harry Potter share more than a first name, it would seem. Always have instant access to the right spell or ability at the right moment to get out of a bind. How awesome! How convenient!

There we have it: proof of the negative impact the Fisher Price My First Wizard series has on the Harry Potter generation. Expect very little from your fantasy and ye shall receive it.

Dresden

Started a re-read of I HOTEL by Karen Tei Yamashita. I finished it a few years ago and thought it one of the finest novels I'd ever read, and I'm curious to see how it holds up still. Also kinda rue how it didn't win the National Book Award - usually zero fucks should be given about the awarding of these things, but seeing such a distinctly Asian work win in a world where Asian literature begins and ends with passages of Amy Tan in middle school would've been nice.

Also it might have meant a sane digital release. Now here am I with this awkward mass of bound paper in my hands. What is this caveman bullshit?

iqvz6ex.jpg

It's really good. Basically a chronicle on Obamacare (and US healthcare in general) from a brief history of healthcare in the US, to the drafting (and lobbying) process of it, to the aftermath until present day. He spends a lot of the book acknowledging the absurdity of the system and how it's meant to serve insurance companies, drug companies, hospitals, and medical instruments companies. His thesis is that despite how Obamacare was created with positive intentions it's still a hugely flawed bill and merely tries to cover up the problems rather than actually reform them. The author seems pretty level-headed and fair so it's worth reading regardless of your opinions on the bill.

besada

Banned
The_Prophet_Cover.jpg

I've read it before but every few years I get the urge to read it again, I find it helps me keep my head on straight.

One of my favorite books. My wedding vows were drawn from the section on love.

Currently, I'm reading some comics, as well as this big bastard:
sV0WDhQ.jpg

Which is an interesting spy novel taking place over a long period of time, involving both real and unreal incidents, woven together into a pretty interesting story.

besada

Banned
Very false.

Brandon Sanderson's essays on this are really interesting, recommended reading for all fantasy writers and readers:
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-second-law/
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-third-law-of-magic/

Did you ever read Niven's logical magic series? The Magic Goes Away, etc.? I ran into them as a kid and they blew my mind, because there were actually rules. I followed that up with Thomas Hardy's Master of the Five Magics, which was another early "system" and became a big fan of magic that had consistent properties. I'm fine with either direction a writer wants to take, but the recent backlash against systems leaves me baffled.

Dresden

I really like the Fencer Trilogy's take on it, where efforts are made to codify and comprehend the magic in their world, but really, no one understands a thing about it and they can only attempt to make certain factors work in their favor. Which never really works, anyways.

Enjoy! Two awesome books. The Lost World is so much better than the movie. I consider these two plus Congo and Timeline to be "essential Crichton."

What is absolutely insane to me is that after the success of the first one, Crichton was approached to write the second one. He does, then decides it is too complicated for a movie, and writes the entire second movie's storyline.

Which, obviously changed a lot of things for the worse. I don't understand how that can even really happen.

Very false.

Brandon Sanderson's essays on this are really interesting, recommended reading for all fantasy writers and readers:
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-first-law/
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-second-law/
http://brandonsanderson.com/sandersons-third-law-of-magic/

I like you.

Plotting, pace, and characters. Though pace isn't as strong towards the end. Dialogue isn't a strength but isn't really a weakness either, and is often leveraged for humor. Magic system is an actual weakness, though it's more from a "fridge logic" standpoint than actually hurting it as you read.

Er... this goes back to at least Lord of the Rings.

Fair enough. I still haven't read LOTR, but Mumei assures me they are spectacular. I loved the Hobbit as a young boy and loved it as an adult.

What is absolutely insane to me is that after the success of the first one, Crichton was approached to write the second one. He does, then decides it is too complicated for a movie, and writes the entire second movie's storyline.

Which, obviously changed a lot of things for the worse. I don't understand how that can even really happen.

Whoah! I've never heard that he was involved in the script for TLW movie. Thought it was all David Koepp.

Whoah! I've never heard that he was involved in the script for TLW movie. Thought it was all David Koepp.

Well of course I can't find where I read it in the first place to back up my claim, but from what I remember he thought the plot of the book was too complicated or long-winded to come across the way he wanted in a film.

So he wrote a different idea for the movie. Not the actual script/dialogue work but the overall story, I think.

Jintor

A Scanner Darkly is not what I was expecting at all and is brilliant also

nearly done I think? assuming I can still trust my perception of reality etc

A Scanner Darkly is not what I was expecting at all and is brilliant also

nearly done I think? assuming I can still trust my perception of reality etc

It's PKD's masterpiece in my mind. Have you seen the movie? Finish the book then jump straight into the film. It's very good, too.

Jintor

it's like a more introspective less balls out nuts fear and loathing, or at least it inspires similar feelings, except that instead of reading it in one go i'm reading it in like ten minute chunks before I go to work

Donos

A Scanner Darkly: Wanted to see the movie soon (i always forget that it's one of the movies i want to see) but seeing the book here mentioned a few times i should maybe read the book first ...

Just finished this:

51UPUI6mhmL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It's not a bad book, but it does repeat itself a lot. It's a story about a bear that helped fight for the Polish during World War II and then emigrated along with the other soldiers to the Scottish Borders. My mum got it for me as I'm originally from the Borders and it's a bit odd to see your hometown mentioned in a book!

Like I said, not a great book but it does become surprisingly moving near the end when the soldier have to leave Wojtek in Edinburgh Zoo, with his handler making the decision to never see him again as it would be too stressful.

On to this one next!

getimage.aspx

I finished Sanderson's Steelheart last night. As interesting and awesome as Mistborn was, this "real world" setting with random supervillains is just a cooler setting IMO. I've only been to Chicago a handful to times but hearing about how it devolved and how people have such special powers and all that is such a cool idea.

I caught both twists long before they happened though.
Megan being Firefight and Prof being an Epic, I mean. But the idea that using the power corrupts them is pretty cool for sure.
4/5 - good book. Really want to read the next one now.

I'm about to start the new Star Wars book. I am really looking forward to it.

Woorloog

Banned
Did you ever read Niven's logical magic series? The Magic Goes Away, etc.? I ran into them as a kid and they blew my mind, because there were actually rules. I followed that up with Thomas Hardy's Master of the Five Magics, which was another early "system" and became a big fan of magic that had consistent properties. I'm fine with either direction a writer wants to take, but the recent backlash against systems leaves me baffled.

No, i haven't read any of those.
Perhaps i should, i do prefer logical magic systems overall. (Makes RPG design difficult. I know my friends do not particularly care for logic, so i need to try to disguise things. No attempt so far has felt a good mix of logical feeling mysterious.)

Well of course I can't find where I read it in the first place to back up my claim, but from what I remember he thought the plot of the book was too complicated or long-winded to come across the way he wanted in a film.

So he wrote a different idea for the movie. Not the actual script/dialogue work but the overall story, I think.

Hmm, interesting. I remember seeing that he wrote the first draft of the JP script (that had a lot of differences), so I wouldn't be surprised if he was heavily involved. Though I do remember his old web site said he had not seen and didn't intend to see JP3, haha.

Something both novels do really well is the slow unfolding of the mystery over the first few chapters. Even though we know it's about dinosaurs, it's always fun to watch the characters slowly come to those conclusions.

Herne

A Nervous Splendour - Vienna 1888 - 1889, by Frederic Morton. A very interesting read of life in Vienna, focusing mostly but not completely on Crown Prince Rudolf, leading up to his double suicide at Mayerling.

Fascinating stuff, and really well written. I just wish I could reduce the font a little more - it's a ridiculously big size even at the smallest.

VanWinkle

Sanderson is a master of magic systems. He may introduce new elements of the magic throughout a given series to surprise you and keep you interested, but they always make sense given the clearly thought-out rules of the system. It's always consistent and easy to comprehend, even when they're complex and rich, like stormlight. Argh. I love stormlight so much. It's the magic system and the currency of the world. It's just so...SO GOOD.

Jarlaxle

I just finished that. If that is the best part of the book (someone else mentioned that story too), then I think I might put this down and move on to something else. I am just curious about the Shrike, more than anything, but I am having trouble caring about the universe of Hyperion.

The best story is actually the third one I believe. The one about the scholar and his daughter. If you don't like the book by then, might as well put it down.

Narag

I just finished that. If that is the best part of the book (someone else mentioned that story too), then I think I might put this down and move on to something else. I am just curious about the Shrike, more than anything, but I am having trouble caring about the universe of Hyperion.

Found that to be the weakest story myself. Consul's story was easily my favorite but that's at the end

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Reading A Game of Thrones. Though reading it on the kindle is a little discouraging because I bought the 4 book set that amazon has, it says I'm a whole 8% through. I'd really rather know how much I am through game of thrones not the whole four book set.

Finished reading the first two books of Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series.

17182126.jpg
15704459.jpg

Feels like the target group are young adults/ teenagers but as we know that never means that older readers can't enjoy these kind of books. And as someone who reads Dark Fantasy most of the time it was really refreshing to read something else. In fact I'm a little sad that I already finished both books and that I have to wait more than a year for Book 3, argh!

VanWinkle

For some reason I'm not getting into The Name of the Wind. I think I might put it on hold for a little bit and try The Dresden Files book one. I bought it awhile back and haven't got around to it yet.

Jarlaxle

I have about 30 pages left in Titus Alone and I'll finally be done with this.

It's pretty dense reading that took me a really long time for some reason. The third book is definitely not on par with the first 2. The middle book, Gormenghast, was great though. Peake is an excellent writer that really does have a fine command of the language and the setting is haunting. The prose is fantastic and deep. I'm not really sure there's anything out there quite like it.

I would definitely recommend the first two and stopping there.

Top Bottom