• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 09)

Undeux

About to finish this book, which was surprisingly amazing:

411kxnJpsEL._SS500_.jpg

Then focusing on these for classes until finals:

f870eb6709a021b729071110.L.jpg

51JQXRFVS3L._SS500_.jpg

And a book on political postmodernism. ugh.

S. L.

continuing my scfi-marathon after
Spin (AWESOME!)
Ender's Game (Eh..)
Speaker for the dead (better than enders game...)
Axis (Bleh)
The Forever War (nice)
with
n3844.jpg

so far so good.

Cdammen

Finished this:

47131.jpg

It's a great horror compilation by the same guy that wrote "Let the Right One In". I don't think it has been translated to English just yet.

And I'm about to read this:

The author won a nobel prize in 2008 so it must be a good read :)

Peru

2316279142_df22af2a41.jpg

Just..holy shit. Together with the '65-'66 volume this is the art of comic strip making taken to its limits. Each frame is so full of expressive characters and vivid motions you wouldn't have needed text, yet the incredible narratives just keep on blowing your mind. Every page I have to stop and read each strip three times. "Does it get any better?" No. And Snoopy's World War narrative and its blend of reality and fantasy is at its best.

200px-Dusklands.jpg

One of the few Coetzee books I haven't read yet. Looking forward to it.

Bulla564

Banned
leading_minds.jpg

Studies different leaders for similarities, and different approaches to leadership. Should be pretty interesting.

Falch

Flunkie said:
I'm on the second chapter of Catch 22.

I'm reading that too. I'm on the fifth chapter. Tried to read it a few years back when I got it, but stopped a few chapters in. I'm really enjoying it this time around.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished -

mv205f.jpg

Just started -

2epuhdf.jpg

Next one, most likely, this -

fkz2u8.jpg

or this -

2zp15kw.jpg

Bulla564 said:
wat.jpg

Studies different leaders for similarities, and different approaches to leadership. Should be pretty interesting.
I can't actually tell what the name of that book is. :lol Leading Minds: Anatomy of Leadership?

::edit::
Amazon tells me I'm correct, though there should be an "an" between "minds" and "anatomy."

MNC

I should get back to Thunderball. Will keep an eye on this topic, I should read more books!

nny

31S1Ah%2BuXSL._SS500_.jpg

What Evolution is - Ernst Mayr

51QM%2BRRfyiL._SS500_.jpg

Arcade Mania: The Turbo-charged World of Japan's Game Centers - Brian Ashcraft

Fusebox

Banned
"Good Book: The Bizarre, Hilarious, Disturbing, Marvelous, and Inspiring Things I Learned When I Read Every Single Word of the Bible"

large_95187.jpeg

Calcaneus

nny said:
51QM%2BRRfyiL._SS500_.jpg

Arcade Mania: The Turbo-charged World of Japan's Game Centers - Brian Ashcraft
How is it so far? Once summer vacation starts, I plan on getting back into the groove of reading, and I'm looking for something interesting to easy myself back in with.

Alessandro Baricco - Without Blood / Silk

readingmay.jpg

I absolutely loved Silk the first time I read it. Not only is the setting charming (French merchant in 1860's Japan) but the apparently simple narrative makes for a gorgeously crafted love story, and that's why I'm re-reading it this month, along with Baricco's "Without Blood". I have a weak spot for short novels.

Alucard

Banned
It's taken me far too long to get through it. Maybe I'll really sit down and take a chomp out of it tomorrow. I have a little over 100 pages to go...

Fall%20of%20Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

9780521003933.jpg

The Cambridge companion to the Age of Augustus. I read the companion to the Roman Republic, which was an amazing collection of work, so I didn't hesitate in getting this. I'm doing a course on the Roman Empire and chose to do my semester essay on Augustus and the constitutional position he created with a specific focus on the army, and the first two chapters in this book (Power of Tradition and the making of the principate) are amazingly helpful.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Just about to finish this,

51B358TM72L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I'm blown away. It's hard to read at times, his insights gleaned from the characters are painful to deliberate on and feel very honest. I think I avoided the book after all the publicity, the whole Oprah dustup, etc. but I was missing out. One of the better American novels I've read in years.

Salazar

pseudocaesar said:
9780521003933.jpg

The Cambridge companion to the Age of Augustus. I read the companion to the Roman Republic, which was an amazing collection of work, so I didn't hesitate in getting this. I'm doing a course on the Roman Empire and chose to do my semester essay on Augustus and the constitutional position he created with a specific focus on the army, and the first two chapters in this book (Power of Tradition and the making of the principate) are amazingly helpful.

Good reading. I'm assuming you've read Holland's 'Rubicon'. In any case, I grow weary of recommending the dashed thing.

Sulla>Augustus, as an essay topic. Best of luck, though.

CiSTM

Banned
I'm still stuck with my last month's books because I moved to new apartment and haven't had the time to read :(

I also got piercing's english edition and I will save the german edition for later. In to the Miso Soup should arrive next week <3
290rktw.jpg

Suprise, suprise... I found my old editions just short time after buying new editions :mad:
2ij3qzr.jpg

YYZ

Still reading A Game of Thrones by Martin.

Almost done now. I want to read more, but I'm going to be reading the Ministry of Transportation's Driving Manual next :lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Max@GC said:
41XQEQHMV6L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

My bible.

Sonny Valerio: What the fuck is his name?
Louie: Ghost Dog.
Sonny Valerio: What?
Louie: Ghost Dog.
Sonny Valerio: Ghost Dog?
Joe Rags: He said Ghost Dog.
Louie: Yeah. He calls himself Ghost Dog. I don't know, a lot of these Black guys today, these gangster-type guys, they make up names like that.
Ray Vargo: Is that true?
Sonny Valerio: Sure. He means like the rappers, you know, All the rappers, they got names like that: Snoop Doggy Dogg, Ice Cube, Q-Tip, Method Man. My favorite was always Flavor Flav from Public Enemy. You got the funky fresh fly flavor.
Ray Vargo: I don't know about that, but it makes me think of Indians. They got name like, uhh, Red Cloud, Crazy Horse, Running Bear, Black Elk.
[makes elk noise]
Sonny Valerio: Yeah. That kind of shit.
Joe Rags: Yeah. Indians, N*****s, Same thing.
yes

Salazar said:
Good reading. I'm assuming you've read Holland's 'Rubicon'. In any case, I grow weary of recommending the dashed thing.

Sulla>Augustus, as an essay topic. Best of luck, though.

Funny you should say that, I did an essay on the root causes for the fall of the republic and spent a great deal of time on Sulla!

Pikelet

In the past two weeks i have read more books than the previous 3 months combined. OK lets see:

1984: I cant believe i had not read this before, absolutely amazing book. Not much that i can say that hasnt already been said though.

Lord Of the Flies: Another missed classic, also brilliant. Shared some common themes with 1984 that became apparent from reading them back to back, strangely enough.

The Road: An excellent read. Really had me hooked the entire way through

And a few others that probably arent so interesting.

Currently half way through World War Z, which is also good.

Im really glad that i have rediscovered how much i really like reading. I had got into a habit of just using my ds when traveling or before bed but now i find a good book is just as entertaining and much more fulfilling.

Top Bottom