• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 09)

bengraven

I have light and heavy reading in one book:

61N-BC6cFyL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Been fascinated with this. It's the best of the annotated editions I've read so far.

besada

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:

That's a wonderful collection. I bought my copy at Bette's Books, Stephen King's hometown bookstore.

I just finished reading Lee Child's Nothing to Lose (which is the worst of the Reacher series so far), and am concurrently reading Simon and Burns's The Corner.

Finished Lawrence Block's final Keller novel earlier this week, which was slow for a Keller story, but enjoyable.

besada

Banned
CiSTM said:
Suprise, suprise... I found my old editions just short time after buying new editions :mad:

Those covers are about ten times as cool as the American original editions. That's not fair.

nitewulf said:
did you read 9 Stories by Salinger? i dont think a short story collection gets any better than that.

Runaway, by Alice Munro.
Dubliners, by James Joyce.
Our Story Begins, by Tobias Wolff
The Burning Plain and Other Stories, by Juan Rulfo

But I'll agree, Nine Stories is pretty great, especially "For Esme - With Love & Squalor" which is pretty much perfect.

bba9eb6709a07ade93423110.L.jpg

Just finished. Short, but spread out by reading small amounts here and there whenever visiting the local B&N.

5112SQPPYPL._SS500_.jpg

Half done. Been reading a couple chapters at a time, no rush.

51W3PGQFX0L._SS500_.jpg

Recently started. Has priority right now.

nny

Calcaneus said:
How is it so far? Once summer vacation starts, I plan on getting back into the groove of reading, and I'm looking for something interesting to easy myself back in with.

I'm enjoying it so far, gives a interesting inside view of unique characteristics of Japanese Arcades, if you're curious/interested in that it's worth a try. I think it's a good choice for easing back into reading, light and interesting.

thomaser

21uv9w1g-mL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA198_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The History of Tom Jones, A Foundling by Henry Fielding. Written ca. 1750, very dry-witty and satirical, and quite experimental for its time. Fun if you can stomach the sometimes very long-running sentences.

By the way, how do you people find all those good cover-images? I only get the small "look inside"-images from Amazon... I can't go in to see the front page and so on since I use Opera, that might be the problem.

Musashi Wins! said:
I read Use of Weapons recently and it was fantastic. I was wondering if the series can maintain the sort of movement it's had so far. I could stop where I'm at and think the man a genius of scifi.

PlayerofGames.jpg

I've read the whole series (except for Excession and Look To Windward) and I think you should definetly read The Player of Games if you want to see Banks at the top of his game. Banks is always 'good' though if not all of his novels are 'great'. You can't beat the Culture for high concept sci-fi imo.

nitewulf

tyguy20204 said:
Runaway, by Alice Munro.
Dubliners, by James Joyce.
Our Story Begins, by Tobias Wolff
The Burning Plain and Other Stories, by Juan Rulfo

But I'll agree, Nine Stories is pretty great, especially "For Esme - With Love & Squalor" which is pretty much perfect.
Alice Munro is sorta hit and miss w/ me, sometimes too feminist. Surprised not to see a Carver collection in your list! As for 9 Stories, I think my fav. is Just Before the War w/ the Eskimos and Pretty Mouth, & Green my Eyes. The guy just had a way of writing...too bad the bastard stopped...

Snaku

Banned
3313kae.jpg

Finished Hyperion last week, and moved on to The Fall of Hyperion. I adored the way the first book ended, but I'm eager to see how Simmons wraps the pilgrim's stories up. The cover would seem to suggest that Sol does make it to the Shrike with Rachel in time.

Snaku said:
/3313kae.jpg[/IMG]

Finished Hyperion last week, and moved on to The Fall of Hyperion. I adored the way the first book ended, but I'm eager to see how Simmons wraps the pilgrim's stories up. The cover would seem to suggest that Sol does make it to the Shrike with Rachel in time.

so you liked the "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" style of storytelling :lol

I sat in stunned silence after finishing Hyperion, such an amazing book
but WTF at the ending.

Snaku

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
I sat in stunned silence after finishing Hyperion, such an amazing book
but WTF at the ending.

You mean them singing We're Off to See the Wizard? Or the Consul's revelations?

Snaku said:
You mean them singing We're Off to See the Wizard? Or the Consul's revelations?

We're off the see the wizard, and then the preview of the next book which basically begins "I have no idea what happened to the people in the last book"

:/

Snaku

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
We're off the see the wizard, and then the preview of the next book which basically begins "I have no idea what happened to the people in the last book"

:/

:lol I just had the
Wizard of Oz
epilogue, no preview.

joesmokey

I'm reading through A Song of Ice and Fire for the first time.

About 1/3rd of the way through Book 2, I'm liking it a lot so far.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Man there is some interesting looking stuff that you guys are reading, I gotta check some stuff out...but for me right now...
freakanomics.jpg

nitewulf said:
Alice Munro is sorta hit and miss w/ me, sometimes too feminist. Surprised not to see a Carver collection in your list! As for 9 Stories, I think my fav. is Just Before the War w/ the Eskimos and Pretty Mouth, & Green my Eyes. The guy just had a way of writing...too bad the bastard stopped...

I can agree with that sentiment of Alice Munro. Runaway is pretty great, though. And Carver I do also enjoy.

I wonder if it's true that Salinger has kept writing, storing away his manuscripts somewhere, and that his estate will release them when he dies? I haven't really followed what's going on with Salinger lately, but I remember that always being the big rumor, or at least something that he might've said at one time. Would be sort of neat if it turned out to be the case.

GriffD17

House of Leaves
house_of_leaves1.jpg

Pretty well through it. Hard read imo. Some parts have me grinning because I haven't read a book like this before, and at other times I'm quite frustrated.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Reading Dune for the first time, i'm about 170 pages into it.

Ordered The Haunted Lands Trilogy, Memoirs of a Vampire and Vampire of the Mists.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
ElectricBlue187 said:
I've read the whole series (except for Excession and Look To Windward) and I think you should definetly read The Player of Games if you want to see Banks at the top of his game. Banks is always 'good' though if not all of his novels are 'great'. You can't beat the Culture for high concept sci-fi imo.

I've read the first three, Consider Phlebus, Player of Games and Use of Weapons. I thought they were uniformly excellent and all different in their focus. I can't think of any high theory genre writers that outclass him. I think Use of Weapons I found most effecting, though I don't say it easily. I did read however that it was his personal favorite (from whenever the interview was) of the Culture series.

Well, I went on a Dresden Files reading binge over the past week. Got through Summer Knight (book 4) finally, and as FnordChan promised and prodded, Butcher opens up the world in new and unexpected ways. I think I stopped someway through Summer Knight because I was getting a bit tired of the formulaic detective genre set-up that I was so used to after reading too much Agatha Christie. However, much to my pleasant surprise, the direction the series heads in after that novel is fantastic.

Butcher really starts to explore the potential of his world, characterization becomes stronger and a few revelations begin to creep in. Moreover, what makes the series so enjoyable - fast pace, witty asides, Harry pulling yet another Houdini - remains. So, a week and several books later, I find myself waiting for book twelve next year alongside with what should be most of the fantasy fiction reading community.

Also finished Market Forces by Richard K Morgan - boy, does he wear his heart on his sleeve here - which is a good read, but not his best. I think he states his case on the social and political dangers of unchecked capitalism better with his creation of the world the Kovacs novels reside in. There is a consistent sense of purpose and momentum in the novel, though, making it no surprise that it begun its life as a film script.

Petrodor by little-known Australian author Joel Sheperd was also an enjoyable read. It's the second in an unexpectedly intelligent series that centers on Sasha, a female warrior who models herself on the rational ideals of a foreign, almost alien, race, and the barbarian toughness of the nation of whom she is royalty. Once a pampered princess, she leaves her comfortable life at an early age to train under her nation's most formidable warrior, but is written off by the world at large as merely his plaything. As you'd expect, she goes through the novels attempting to prove her worth, but her journey is more a foil than anything else to explore a world similar to Crusades-era medieval Europe, containing its familiar players - ruthless, ambitious royalty and high-handed, power-drunk Church - and conflicts, with an elevated emphasis and fantastical twist on their "heretical" enemy.

Still reading Labyrinths by Jorge Luis Borges, I usually operate slower with collective works to be honest, and halfway through re-reading Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. War & Peace continues to be an ongoing commitment. And I've also got to get back onto the ridiculous masochistic action extravaganza that is Total War by Jerry Ahern; I couldn't help but laugh out loud at some of the dialogue ten pages in. Admittedly, there's a lot more on ice at the moment.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm reading 'infinite jest'

it seems interesting but I'm thinking of putting it down until I go on vacation. really needs some time, the language in it is very... descriptive I guess. takes a dude 5 pages to walk down a hallway and put on a shirt and you know by the time he's done that what he thinks of the relationship between his brother and mother and whats for dinner with them later...

I kind of like it but doesn't suit itself to 15 minute reads while in the train.

Danielsan

14ik17t.jpg

250 pages in and I'm absolutely loving it. Murakami books somehow manage to bring back that sense of childhood where everything is a mystery and anything is possible.

Noss

I've been trying to get anyone and everyone to read the Hyperion series, but for those of you who do, I pray that you read Endymion and Rise of Endymion as well. Quite frankly, The Rise of Endymion is the single greatest ending to a series that I have ever read. It is brutal and yet so unbelievably satisfying.

And sniffle...just the mentions to Ender's Game and Speaker For the Dead (forget all the other books...Card milked it too hard, but those two were splendid.)

And even seeing reference to Stranger In a Strange Land is so great.

Currently, I'm reading a Heinlein book called, "Another Door to Summer".

It's great so far, but I just began it. It is a stretch for many of my favorite sci-fi books as they were written in the '50s, but many of the stories still hold water.

I'm a sci-fi dork to the hilt, so I tend to hit up things regarding it, but if you haven't ever read Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa...it is truly my favorite book. I read it at least once a year just for shits and giggles.

Have a great one always, people. Great thread.

Noss

I just recently read Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons. I am a greek myth dork. I absolutely love the Iliad and the Odyssey to the point of obsession.

As such, it is one of the weaker narratives that Dan Simmons has done, but it is a masterful book if you like Homer, Shakespeare, or Faust.

I read about 3 hours a day because my job sucks, so eh, but I am very limited and tend to get far too into individual authors.

But, just saying, if you like the Iliad, it is great fun to read Ilium.

Salazar

Noss said:
I just recently read Ilium and Olympos by Dan Simmons. I am a greek myth dork. I absolutely love the Iliad and the Odyssey to the point of obsession.

As such, it is one of the weaker narratives that Dan Simmons has done, but it is a masterful book if you like Homer, Shakespeare, or Faust.

I read about 3 hours a day because my job sucks, so eh, but I am very limited and tend to get far too into individual authors.

But, just saying, if you like the Iliad, it is great fun to read Ilium.

Christopher Logue's Iliad reworkings. Read them. Goddamnit, don't delay.

Noss

Flunkie said:
I'm on the second chapter of Catch 22.

I rather enjoyed Catch 22, though at points it seemed like a bad stand-up comedy routine. Nuts, I guess I should give the sequel, "Closing Time", another chance, but I couldn't handle it.

Noss

Salazar said:
Christopher Logue's Iliad reworkings. Read them. Goddamnit, don't delay.

Haha, thanks for that suggestion. If you do like the Iliad though, you may truly enjoy Ilium...its not as much a reworking as in it's just....haha...it's a person who loves the Iliad having fun with it.

Mardil said:
516ZBETBJ9L.jpg

It's good.

Have you read the Shadow saga? It's been so long since I read the original Ender sequels. I loved the shit out of Xenocide (once you get through the first hundred or so pages) but found Children of the Mind to be kind've underwhelming. I say you move on to the Homecoming series afterward if you like the Ender sequels.

Noss

Scullibundo said:
Have you read the Shadow saga? It's been so long since I read the original Ender sequels. I loved the shit out of Xenocide (once you get through the first hundred or so pages) but found Children of the Mind to be kind've underwhelming. I say you move on to the Homecoming series afterward if you like the Ender sequels.

The Shadow Saga pissed me off greatly for The way it treated Peter Wiggin. To my mind, the great part of Ender's game or even his mentions in Speaker For the Dead was that Peter Wiggin was easily as brilliant as Ender, but he was truly a bit off in regards to empathy...In my mind, Peter Wiggin was a badass, but also a bit of a psychopath.

I hated the Shadow saga for it made all the Wiggins seem like little bitches. Oh, it was actually Bean and not Ender at battle school; oh it was actually the battle school kids that helped out Peter Wiggin. Bah, bah I say.

Also, if anyone does truly enjoy Card, I would truly recommend the Alvin Maker series. That is a truly truly fun series. If I were pitching it to hollywood execs I would call it X-men meets United States historical fiction!

Haha...doh.

Have a great one all. READ ALL FOUR OF THE HYPERION BOOKS! JUST DO IT!

Noss

Scullibundo said:

I've had more than a few people tell me that the Homecoming series by Orson Scott Card is actually a sci-fi retelling of the Book of Mormon. I have no idea if that is true or not, but as I throroughly enjoyed the Homecoming series, perhaps I should give the Book of Mormon a shot.

Or not.

Noss said:
I rather enjoyed Catch 22, though at points it seemed like a bad stand-up comedy routine.
YES. That's how I felt about it at some points too. I just never thought of expressing it that way.

Alucard

Banned
Noss said:
The Shadow Saga pissed me off greatly for The way it treated Peter Wiggin. To my mind, the great part of Ender's game or even his mentions in Speaker For the Dead was that Peter Wiggin was easily as brilliant as Ender, but he was truly a bit off in regards to empathy...In my mind, Peter Wiggin was a badass, but also a bit of a psychopath.

I hated the Shadow saga for it made all the Wiggins seem like little bitches. Oh, it was actually Bean and not Ender at battle school; oh it was actually the battle school kids that helped out Peter Wiggin. Bah, bah I say.

Also, if anyone does truly enjoy Card, I would truly recommend the Alvin Maker series. That is a truly truly fun series. If I were pitching it to hollywood execs I would call it X-men meets United States historical fiction!

Haha...doh.

Have a great one all. READ ALL FOUR OF THE HYPERION BOOKS! JUST DO IT!

I might one day. It's taken me far too long to finish the second book. :-\ There is so much that is happening, and so much of it that I still don't understand. It's kind of frustrating. But yeah, I'll finish up The Fall of Hyperion today and will likely read the Endymion books later on. I'm honestly kind of burned out on this world right now, and just want to move on to something else. Four Novels of the 1960s by Philip K. Dick is calling my name.

nyong

Banned
TheAeneid.jpg

For my comparative literature class. I hated the first book or so, but it's grown on me. If you're going to read The Aeneid, I would highly recommend Robert Fagles' translation. Between this and The Odyssey, I have decided to eventually read each all of his books.

LastWish.jpg

Not bad. If you liked the game, I can't imagine you wouldn't enjoy the book. Notably, the book is NOT a video game adaptation...the book came first, and it shows. I'm reading it on my Kindle.

The introduction video in The Witcher is explained in detail as the first short story within the book.

Tieno

Bill_bryson_a_short_history.jpg

Bryson describes graphically and in layman's terms the size of the universe, and that of atoms and subatomic particles. He then explores the history of geology and biology, and traces life from its first appearance to today's modern humans, placing emphasis on the development of the modern Homo sapiens. Furthermore, he discusses the possibility of the Earth being struck by a meteor, and reflects on human capabilities of spotting a meteor before it impacts the Earth, and the extensive damage that such an event would cause. He also focuses on some of the most recent destructive disasters of volcanic origin in the history of our planet, including Krakatoa and Yellowstone National Park. A large part of the book is devoted to relating humorous stories about the scientists behind the research and discoveries and their sometimes eccentric behaviours. Bryson also speaks about modern scientific views on human effects on the Earth's climate and livelihood of other species, and the magnitude of natural disasters such as earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, and the mass extinctions caused by some of these events.

Big-E

I am currently trying to get through that bastard of a book Ulysses by Joyce. God damn is this book fucking hard. About half way through now and if I didn't have Cliff Notes with me, I would be completely lost. After that, I may try Midnights Children by Rushdie.

nyong said:
TheAeneid.jpg

For my comparative literature class. I hated the first book or so, but it's grown on me. If you're going to read The Aeneid, I would highly recommend Robert Fagles' translation. Between this and The Odyssey, I have decided to eventually read each all of his books.

Try reading it in it's original Latin. The only true way.

Got back from a little vacation so I finally had some time to finish:

0425143325.jpg

Really liked it. Probably one of the more easier to read Tom Clancy novels though like anything I read by him I skim a lot of pages. Great revenge story though.

game_boys_cover_250.jpg

This was great stuff. Kane does a great job conveying the passion of his protagonists and being that I spent about 3 years of my life hopelessly addicted to CS it was like coming home.

Duma_Key.jpg

I am about halfway through and I forgot how great King can write. The characters and the setting are really well written and its starting to get creepy as hell. Hopefully it keeps up the momentum.

Monroeski said:
Just started -

2epuhdf.jpg

I saw this yesterday and was thinking of picking it up. How is it?

Janken

Right now I'm with Foucault's Pendulum.

Also, I haven't yet read the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov (please, don't kill me) and I don't know in which order I should read them. In the order they were published? First the prequels and then the others? Could you help me?

Thank you!

Top Bottom