• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 09)

200px-DeceptionPoint.jpg

All Dan Brown's books are pretty much the same containing some shitty conspiracy and no subtlety or good use of suspense. But for some reason, I am continuing to read it.

At least I have A Clockwork Orange to look forward to.

CiSTM

Banned
Finally I decided to pick up one of Kenji Siratori's books... And I was overwhelmed just by reading the "plot synopsis" from back of the book :lol

Debug.: Primary Techno Noir
ka1gu9.png

"PRIMARY TECHNO NOIR:: SET UP:: technojunkies' hunting for the grotesque WEB=insanity medium of the human body pill cruel emulator gene-dub of the soul/gram made of retro-ADAM to the ecstasy system of the acidHUMANIX infection archive genomics strategy circuit that jointed the mass of flesh-module:: the data of a chemical=anthropoid super-genomewarable abolition world-codemaniacs murder game of the trash sensor drug embryo that biocaptures to the emotional replicant disillusionment-modules of the hyperrea HIV=scanners that dashes clone-dive her digital=vamp cold-blooded disease animals is ejected to neuromatic...."the nerve cells that were processed the data=mutant of her abolition world-codemaniacs emotional replicant that omits the brain universe of the hyperreal HIV=scanner form murder-gimmick of a chemical=anthropoid to biocapturism genomics battle to a hybrid cadaver mechanism nightmare-script@tera=of=the murder-protocol of the acidHUMANIX infection archive_body encoder that clone-dives dogs different of a trash sensor drug embryo vital-to the DNA bomb mass of flesh-module that was controlled technojunkies' rave on gene-dub hyperlinks the cadaver feti=streaming circuit of the reptilian=HUB_modem=heart--."

... I mean WTF :lol

Alucard

Banned
I finished Ubik a couple of nights ago, and managed to find some time to write a mini-review.

ubik2af0.jpg

It is amazing how far ahead of his time Philip K. Dick really was. In Ubik, he unravels the fabric of reality, and challenges our ideas of life, death, and the afterlife. The book is also filled with subtle humour, so its heavy themes never become too overbearing. While difficult to comprehend at times, the book's dizzying quality is its best asset.

In this world, precognition and telepathy have become so commonplace, that prudence organizations have had to be started, to neutralize telepaths in the workplace, so that privacy can be protected. The protagonist of the story, Joe Chip, works for one of these organizations, and it is through his fumbling actions and characters quirks (he is always broke and asking someone else to foot the bill,) that the bulk of the story is told. After a terrorist attack on a ship that was carrying Joe Chip, his boss, and a few other anti-precogs and anti-telepaths to luna, the characters begin to see reality literally regressing all around them. The world eventually reverts back to 1939, and the ship's crew slowly dies along the way. This is a very basic outline of the story, as there are numerous extenuating factors and sideplots that add to its complexity.

It would be too simple to dillute the novel's themes and state that it is only about one thing. In short, if you enjoy stories that play with what is real and what is unreal, and that seem to feature two distinct worlds and types of existence, then Ubik will certainly tickle your brain. Right until the very end, the reader is never really certain what side of the glass they are standing on. While this does make the book a little frustrating to comprehend, it still leaves the reader with plenty to contemplate. 4/5.

I would also like to take this time to heartily recommend Philip K. Dick's Four Novels of the 1960s. Having finished the books contained within its sexy pages, I have gained a great appreciation for his work, his mind, and his influence and importance to the sci-fi genre.

Next up: Dune, by Frank Herbert. I'm finally going to tackle it, after having put it off for a couple of years.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Can anybody recommend to me a good book about the history of religion, or about world religions? I am fascinated by religions in general (although I don't belong to any myself), and find myself wanting to know more about them.

Oozer3993

Just finished:
0347.jpg

Just started:
4991.jpg

I love his Naval thrillers. I'm a little surprised none of his books have been turned into movies yet. A couple seem tailor made.

ibu

Currently reading

0312850093.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

After that I will move onto the second one. Really enjoying the series so far.

0312851405_l.gif

Replicant

Dark FaZe said:
Patient+Zero.jpg

Patient Zero. Zombie book recommended to me by a gaffer in one of my threads. Pretty good read so far.

:eek: Thank you for this rec. I'd definitely look this one up.

I'm currently reading Norwegian Wood.

fyzitz.jpg

Thank you to those who rec this too. It's definitely easier (and more enjoyable to read) than other Murakami's works. I left "Wind Up Bird" halfway unfinished since I got tired trying to figure out what that story is supposed to tell. Maybe I'll read it again after I finished Norwegian Wood.

Alucard

Banned
Extollere said:
Can anybody recommend to me a good book about the history of religion, or about world religions? I am fascinated by religions in general (although I don't belong to any myself), and find myself wanting to know more about them.

For a good "pop start," this might be a good place to look.

0345384563.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It only covers the major Abrahamic religions, but considering that they are the most dominant faiths in the world today, you would likely find this to be interesting. Karen Armstrong writes with respect for faith, but still has a historical eye.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Alucard said:
For a good "pop start," this might be a good place to look.

0345384563.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It only covers the major Abrahamic religions, but considering that they are the most dominant faiths in the world today, you would likely find this to be interesting. Karen Armstrong writes with respect for faith, but still has a historical eye.

Hrmmm sounds good but I think I am looking for something more conclusive. Something that covers from the earliest of religions to now, and why those religions are the way they are. Bloody details and descriptions in contempt are also ok, I'm not really looking for a book that glorifies religious history in particular.

Alucard

Banned
Extollere said:
Hrmmm sounds good but I think I am looking for something more conclusive. Something that covers from the earliest of religions to now, and why those religions are the way they are. Bloody details and descriptions in contempt are also ok, I'm not really looking for a book that glorifies religious history in particular.

Hmm, I can't really think of any book that would give you all of that, except for The Golden Bough, which is RIDICULOUSLY long and is a multi-volume work. There is also an abridged edition that runs 1000+ pages. I have it sitting on my bookshelf, but have never had a chance to pick it up. Seriously though, the whole set is 10+ volumes. Good luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Bough

Is this closer to what you're looking for?

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
9780380015399.jpg

Interesting so far. It's funny how much the belief systems and overall philosophies in the book chime with my own. I wonder if when I finish the book I'll declare myself a Satanist. I wonder if there's any Satanists on GAF? I might start a thread after reading the book.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Peter S. Beagle's new short story collection We Never Talk About My Brother

fknq1k.jpg

A wonderful, wonderful collection of stories. Beagle's best. It shows his wonderful ability to make any character really come to life, to really capture them. From a 10 year old kid, to an angel, to an old woman on the street that every kid is afraid of.

Uncle Chaim and Aunt Rifke and the Angel is a wonderful, sad, happy story told through the eyes of a ten year old boy. One day, as he's sitting in the studio watching his Uncle Chaim paint, an angel arrives and informs Chaim that she's to be his muse and he will from that day on paint only her.

What follows is a harrowing tale as Chaim becomes obsessed, drawing further and further away from the world until only the angel matters.

If blackness is the absence of light, then those were the blackest eyes I'll ever see, because there was no light in those eyes, and no smallest possibility of light ever. You couldn't call them sad: sad at least knows what joy is, and grieves at being exiled from joy. However old he really was, those eyes were a thousand years past sad.

We Never Talk About My Brother, the story which this collection takes its name from, feels very short and seems to be over before it really begins.

The brother in question is sort of the angel of death. If he says someone died, they die. But not right at that moment, they are already dead, a week ago. It's an interesting premise, but I thought it could have been a bit longer.

He kind of whispered, "You got run over." Hadn't been as close as I was, I'd never have heard him.

"You got run over." Like that - like it had already happened, you see? Exactly - like he was reading the news. You got it.

Okay. Now. This is what's important. This is where you're going to start wondering whether you should have maybe sat just a little closer to the door. See, what happened to Donnie, didn't happen then - it had already happened a week before.

The Tale of Junko and Sayuri is a very sad story of a young man that falls in love with a shape-shifter. A tale of how they both come to know their true nature.

Not even for the sake of at last learning my own being, my own soul. That can go undiscovered forever, and welcome, and I will remain Sayuri, your wife, no more and no less. And I will tend three graves, and pray at the shrine, and live as I can with what I have done. That is how it will be.

King Pelles the Sure is a short almost-fairytale of a king that rules a kingdom that has never known anything other than peace and prosperity. King Pelles, however, wants to be remembered for glory in battle and all that. However, he'd much rather it be a short, manageable war.

"Well, if that is what a war is, so be it. Consider our choices, Vizier, and make your recommendation." He added then, rather quickly, "But do arrange for a gracious war, if you possibly can. Something... something a little tidy. With songs in it, you know."

The Last and Only,
Or,
Mr. Moscowitz Becomes French

A wonderful story of, well, Mr. Moscowitz turning French. Slowly, over the course of years, he becomes more and more French, until he can no longer even speak english and he and his wife finally move to France. But he can't be happy there, either, for he finds that he is the only true Frenchman alive.

Mr. Moscowitz smiled, almost wistfully, and the President grew afraid. He had a sudden vision of Mr. Moscowitz banishing him and every other soul in France with a single word, a single gesture; and in that moment's vision it seemed to him that they all went away like clouds, leaving Mr. Moscowitz to dance by himself in cobwebbed Paris on Bastille day.

Spook

Another one of Beagle's wonderful Joe Farrell stories. Farrell moves into a new house with Julie, only to find out that it's haunted and the ghost thinks he's the one who killed him.

Obviously, the only solution is a duel to the death. The weapons? Bad poetry.

Plop, flop
Plop

The Stickball Witch is a truly wonderful story about Beagle playing stickball when he was eleven. One of the best short stories I've read by him.

Stewie Hauser - always the second guy to do or say anything, said he double-dared me. So there it was. You couldn't walk away from a double-dare, even from a dumbshit like Stewie. I mean, you could, but the rest of your life wouldn't ever be worth living after that. I knew that then. Not believed. Knew.

The Unicorn Tapestries

A nice series of poems based on the unicorn tapestries. Not amazing, but nice.

Chandail is a story set in Beagle's Innkeeper's Song universe. I didn't care much for that book, but I am constantly surprised at how he manages to tell some of his best stories in that world.

This is a story told by one of the characters in that novel, of her encounter with a mysterious, torturous sea creature. It's a wonderful, wonderful story.

Depending on where you drink and with whom, you can hear that the First Chandail fashioned a world before this one of ours: gloriously beautiful, by all accounts, but crafted all of water, which was no problem until the Second Chandail made the sun. More wondrous yet, that must have been for a while, what with the new, new light bending and shattering so dazzlingly through those endless droplets - a rainbow creation, surely. Except, of course, that it melted away, by and by, and sank back into empty dark until the world we know came to be.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I still think Snow Crash was his high point as an author. I've started and put down so much of his work after.

Great Peter Beagle book break down, wow. I've always meant to try him but never have.

To reply to even more things, the Golden Bough is really interesting, but I don't think it's the work that answers that sort of historical breakdown either. I used to read meta histories on that sort of thing, I'm trying to think of what my suggestion would be.

lunchtoast

After reading the Toxic Sugar thread and seeing all the misinformed replies, thought I'd come in here and post this. About half way through. I already knew some of this stuff, but it breaks it all down, plus goes over the history of the research of fat cells, and how after WWII the information was tossed aside and the whole sedentary life and calories in/out took the rise despite all the research against it. It's a shame. There would be a lot less fat/diabetic people in the world.

gJk6g.jpg

Salazar

Extollere said:

Tom Holland's history of Islam is due quite soon, I believe.

Rubicon and Persian Fire were goddamn brilliant, and I have no good reason to suppose that this won't be just as good.

Top Bottom