• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 09)

Vinci

Danish
Musashi Wins! said:
Awesome. Report back!

I will. Might take me a while though. I'm pressed for time as it is, and it's a long damn read. But yeah, I should finish it within the next couple of weeks or so.

Salazar

Smidget said:
OK, just finished The Road and am a bit drained, but it was so amazingly good. There's way too many books and probably like movies there are a lot of stinkers. Any recommendations on how to follow The Road up?

Clive James' 'Unreliable Memoirs'.

Sadist

Just started in Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho.

First chapters are very... different. I enjoy it though :p

Alucard

Banned
I just finished reading The Man in the High Castle tonight, and loved it. I still have a few questions about it, but my brain is too stuffed with PKD's incredible ability to fully engross a reader and take him into the minds of his characters, that I can't think that clearly just yet. My brief review is below.

ManInTheHighCastle.jpg

"What if?" That is the question which drives the alternate history sub-genre. Philip K. Dick asks it and answers it with absolute subtlety, grace, and intelligence, in The Man in the High Castle.

What if Germany and Japan had won World War II? While a book on this topic could have beat its audience over the head with loud observations and scenarios, Dick uses the subject matter to explore the psyches of a number of characters that slowly become interconnected as the novel progresses. His ability to get inside the minds of his creations is incredible, and his insights into human behaviour and habit are piercing and always engaging. He does this by flawlessly switching from the third to the first person, often in mid-paragraph, without ever losing a beat, and making the reader feel like he or she is reading poetry.

While the book focuses on relationships and the inner thoughts of its characters, the overarching themes are those of the nature of history, the power of perception, and a very nuanced approach to the question of belief in something outside of oneself. In the narrative, the characters refer to a book that discusses an alternate history where the Germans and Japanese lost the war. The book is considered subversive for even raising such a scenario, and its author has had to retreat to a barricaded "high castle" to protect himself from murder attempts. This character is brilliantly written, as he is always in the shadows of the main plotlines, and the final confrontation brings up numerous questions in regards to how we write and remember history, and how our yearning and desire for something to be true can often make us buy into our own delusions; or dreams, depending on your point of view.

Philip K. Dick's writing has the power to draw the reader into his worlds and especially into the minds of his characters. Even when the story feels like it's barely moving, the minds of the characters are filled with such detail and conflict, that we are compelled to learn more and more. Right up to the final, nebulous ending, the reader is left feeling uncomfortable, with a mind that is full of questions and musings, considering the moral choices of the characters, and how they have chosen to resolve their separate conflicts in a world gone mad. 4.5/5.

Next up: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

Owen

Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity
71X85NFYKHL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.gif

Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century
5ea581b0c8a0373488eba110.L._AA198_.jpg

Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me
41W-rAJr2eL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Just finished...

The Commitment: Love, Sex, Marriage and My Family
41RYET9B9FL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

(This was hilarious, highly recommended)

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jump right in, BruceLeeRoy. All you need to know is that Mitch Rapp is a bad enough dude to save the president.

Vinci said:
I'm about to start -

1544098455_5fd9d3af27.jpg

Definitely looking forward to it.

I don't want to rain on your parade or anything, but I wasn't much of a fan (and I loved every other Banks novel I'd read).

Anyway, here's what I'm reading (again);

Mamesj

Banned
2666slipcase.jpg

2666 - 3 vol. paperback edition

510N28MR9QL._SL500_.jpg

PLSII. Read up class of 2012 :\

Not pictured:
--World War Z (pretty good)
--Evanescence and Form: An Introduction to Japanese Culture (pretty good)
--Ghost In the Shell (original manga) - (good)
--Anti-Intellectualism in America - (so far, so good)

KHarvey16

Sniper McBlaze said:
031286504x01lzzzzzzz.jpg

I was very surprised when this booked was the first book to ever make me cry. I actually had to put it down and not read more for that day.

I still have no idea why the movie kept this name. The title makes a heck of a lot more sense in the book. Really cool story.

UraMallas

I'm currently going through two books but I think I'll concentrate on this one first:

286qv5c.jpg

And then I'll commit to some Carl Sagan:

v4108h.jpg

Should be an interesting month!

Noss

Alucard said:
Well, I finally finished reading The Fall of Hyperion today. Here is my rough review.

Fall%20of%20Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

Dan Simmons is an incredibly gifted writer. He knows how to paint a scene, create atmosphere, and develop his characters. He also knows how to build a massive universe and create meaningful interactions between its characters. Where he faulters with The Fall of Hyperion is the plot structure.

I enjoyed the distinct stories in Hyperion. Simmons did an incredible job of drawing the reader into numerous different short stories, and tied them all together wonderfully. However, in this fast-paced sequel, characters disappear for fifty pages at a time, and while Simmons' goal of pushing the narrative forward to a culminating point is admirable, the execution falls flat. There are simply too many things happening at one time, and it leaves the reader sometimes feeling frustrated. Just when you start to get involved in one particular scenario, Simmons jumps away from it for dozens of pages. It's an exercise in buildup and a lack of payoff, repeated over and over. When the various climaxes occur, they feel a little underwhelming.

Overall, I did enjoy this book. As I mentioned, Simmons is a fantastic writer. I just wish the structure of this book didn't feel so disjointed, which made it a bit of a chore to get through. There are numerous references to authors and books that Simmons obviously enjoys, but they sometimes felt forced and distracted me from the messages that Simmons was attempting to accentuate. The most frustrating part is that I didn't feel enough questions had been answered by the end of the book. I'm not sure if I'm willing to put in more time into the Endymion series to anwer them, if reading those books is going to be as arduous as getting through this sequel to a fantastic first chapter.

This isn't a book for everybody, but when it's good, it's very good. It's a shame that it's so inconsistent. 3.5/5.

I want to be angry with your assessment of the book, but I honestly can't find fault with anything that you say--though I disagree with many of your points. In my heart of hearts I would wish for you to read Endymion and Rise of Endymion, but it ultimately does follow the style of Dan Simmons. Hell, I read like 9 Dan Simmons books back to back, and then when I read someone else I was shocked that a chapter break wasn't leading to a different character view completely.

One of these days I'll find someone who has read Endymion and Rise of Endymion. It is a perfect ending to a series I truly enjoyed.

Noss

Janken said:
Right now I'm with Foucault's Pendulum.

Also, I haven't yet read the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov (please, don't kill me) and I don't know in which order I should read them. In the order they were published? First the prequels and then the others? Could you help me?

Thank you!

As such, if you really want to read the foundation series, you should read the Robots series first. Eh, I truly enjoyed Asimov tying them all together. So you should read the four robots novels first, then prelude to foundation, then forward the foundation...THEN start the actual foundation series.

Hehe.

Damned Mule.

R. Daneel Olivaw and Giskard for the win!

FnordChan

Noss said:
As such, if you really want to read the foundation series, you should read the Robots series first. Eh, I truly enjoyed Asimov tying them all together. So you should read the four robots novels first, then prelude to foundation, then forward the foundation...THEN start the actual foundation series.

I disagree with you on the reading order for Foundation. I figure you can read the Robot stories whenever you like, but I'd strongly recommend reading the Foundation novels in publication order: Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, and then continuing with the prequels and so forth if you really felt like it.

FnordChan

BluWacky

On the go:

51%2B-n2AWMqL._SS500_.jpg

not as good as the first book, immeasurably better than the films)

31BsWrRt4aL._SL500_AA180_.jpg

(absolutely terrible, hence why I'm still midway through it; massive spoilers
man dies in motorbike accident, woman gets his heart as a transplant, she begins to take on aspects of his personality and memories and FALLS IN LOVE WITH HIS BROTHER WHO IS ALSO ONE OF HER DOCTORS, plus everyone is ridiculously pretty and solving stupid riddles about historical crackpots
)

hard-boiled-wonderland-and-the-end-of-the-world.jpg

(it's okay I guess, it's pretty much what I was expecting but it's not particularly riveting)

Just finished:

518rV5GIBJL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

(eew. Remind me not to read horror books on the Tube/in parks/anywhere in public ever again.)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
xBigDanx said:
How do some of you read more than one book at a time?

I tend to read different things in different moods or times. I usually have at least one fiction going (currently two) and one or more philosophical texts. They both give me pleasure and knowledge, and sometimes it's even of the same sort.

Quazar

Tieno said:
Bill_bryson_a_short_history.jpg

Bryson describes graphically and in layman's terms the size of the universe, and that of atoms and subatomic particles. He then explores the history of geology and biology, and traces life from its first appearance to today's modern humans, placing emphasis on the development of the modern Homo sapiens. Furthermore, he discusses the possibility of the Earth being struck by a meteor, and reflects on human capabilities of spotting a meteor before it impacts the Earth, and the extensive damage that such an event would cause. He also focuses on some of the most recent destructive disasters of volcanic origin in the history of our planet, including Krakatoa and Yellowstone National Park. A large part of the book is devoted to relating humorous stories about the scientists behind the research and discoveries and their sometimes eccentric behaviours. Bryson also speaks about modern scientific views on human effects on the Earth's climate and livelihood of other species, and the magnitude of natural disasters such as earthquakes, volcanoes, tsunamis, hurricanes, and the mass extinctions caused by some of these events.

Just picked this up today. Shall be fun!

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
from amazon.com:

"At once audacious, dazzling, pretentious and infuriating, Mitchell's third novel weaves history, science, suspense, humor and pathos through six separate but loosely related narratives. Like Mitchell's previous works, Ghostwritten and number9dream (which was shortlisted for the Booker Prize), this latest foray relies on a kaleidoscopic plot structure that showcases the author's stylistic virtuosity. Each of the narratives is set in a different time and place, each is written in a different prose style, each is broken off mid-action and brought to conclusion in the second half of the book."

cloud-atlas.jpg

Just finished the first half of the first story. Very engaging so far.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I finished The Shining. Beginning was slow but I didn't mind it (from what I've experienced so far, most King books are). The middle was phenomenal, ending was iffy with me (the very last portion). I loved it though, the way he portrayed the three main characters, their respective perspectives, the slow creeping madness, was amazing to read.

Interesting to see how the movie diverged from the book, it was probably all for the better. The book was more fantastical when it came to the supernatural aspects... best left to the imagination for rendering. I also now know what the dog costume in the movie is all about!

Now I need to find out what I want to read next... maybe The Dead Zone?

KevinCow

Banned
Just started reading this.

4e24228348a0eba78e6cc010.L.jpg

Been meaning to check it out for a while. Didn't really know what to expect, except that it's pretty much cowboys + fantasy.

It's alright so far. Seems to move a bit slow, though. Not, like, Robert Jordan, "I'm seriously going to shoot myself if he spends one more page describing a completely irrelevant blade of grass," slow, but still slower than I usually like. Hoping the pace picks up a bit.

Fireblend

Banned
finally got done with Catch-22. loved the ending.

Next up: (which has been waiting on my shelf for a while, Catch-22 took me longer than expected)
good-omens1.jpg

Also ordered The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, since so much people seem to love Murakami on GAF.

Kawaii

Musashi Wins! said:
I've never heard of it, which for my book nerdness is odd. Where did you find out about it?
Picked it up at a local bookstore in Rotterdam (Netherlands), never heard of it before but I read the back of it and it seemed interesting, it's the author's first novel.

about the book

Meet the Deans.

The Father is Martin Dean.
He taught his son always to make up his mind, and then change it. An impossible, brilliant, restless man, he just wanted the world to listen to him – and the trouble started when the world did.

The Uncle is Terry Dean.
As a boy, Terry was the local sporting hero. As a man, he became Australia's favourite criminal, making up for injustice on the field with this own version of justice off it.

The Son is Jasper Dean.
Now that his father is dead, Jasper can try making some sense of his outrageous schemes to make the world a better place. Haunted by his own mysteriously missing mother and a strange recurring vision, Jasper has one abiding question: Is he doomed to become the lunatic who raised him, or a different kind of lunatic entirely?

From the New South Wales bush to bohemian Paris, from sports fields to strip clubs, from the jungles of Thailand to a leaky boat in the Pacific, Steve Toltz's A Fraction of the Whole follows the Deans on their freewheeling, scathingly funny and finally deeply moving quest to leave their mark on the world.

ronito

Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

After tons of recommendations I finally picked up a copy of Hyperion. Dan Simmons is really a great writer and does an incredible job when he can be pulled away from slobbing Keat's nob. Honestly I love the concept and the voicing and everything, but I'm actually shocked that an editor let him get away with such rampant hero worship bordering on fanboyishness I'm 3/4s of the way through and I've had more than my fill of Keats and Yates and I swear I feel like punching someone every few pages when Simmons brings them up...again. Still during the points he's not busy being a fanboy the whole thing is very good. Now I just need to figure out if the rest of the series is like this. If it is Hyperion might just be the last when he's good he's great. But when he goes off on tangents and the like megarolleyes.

Salazar

ronito said:
I'm 3/4s of the way through and I've had more than my fill of Keats and Yates and I swear I feel like punching someone every few pages when Simmons brings them up...again.

W.B Yeats, not Richard Yates, right ?

VALIS

The Cyberiad by Stanislaw Lem

Very unique book. A bunch of short stories concerning these two inventors who keep creating peculiar machines/robots. One of them can only create or destroy things beginning with the letter N. Another one gets every question asked of him wrong, and is very sensitive about it. Surreal scientific fantasy. Very fun.

Alucard

Banned
ronito said:
Hyperion%20Front%20Book%20Cover.gif

After tons of recommendations I finally picked up a copy of Hyperion. Dan Simmons is really a great writer and does an incredible job when he can be pulled away from slobbing Keat's nob. Honestly I love the concept and the voicing and everything, but I'm actually shocked that an editor let him get away with such rampant hero worship bordering on fanboyishness I'm 3/4s of the way through and I've had more than my fill of Keats and Yates and I swear I feel like punching someone every few pages when Simmons brings them up...again. Still during the points he's not busy being a fanboy the whole thing is very good. Now I just need to figure out if the rest of the series is like this. If it is Hyperion might just be the last when he's good he's great. But when he goes off on tangents and the like megarolleyes.

If you think Hyperion is loaded with Keats hero worship, you ain't seen nothing yet. The sequel is utterly littered with it. I also wished he would just focus on telling the stories of the characters, as opposed to throwing in as many convenient lines of poetry as he could fit to suit the current situation.

In other news...

I just finished reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K. Dick. Below is my brief review of the book.

palmer2.jpg

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch follows the hallucinatory escapades of solar system colonizers. Barney Mayerson, a precog who forsees the death of the book's title character, is at the centre of the action, as he battles questions pertaining to divinity, the real, and the unreal. The book is often difficult to comprehend, due to its movement from the real world to the drug induced hallucinations of its characters, and the eventual blending of both. However, despite its frustrations, the reader is rewarded after reflecting on the material which has been presented.

Admittedly, I did not initially "get" the book, and had to read a couple of plot summaries and analyses to understand some of its plot points and themes. After doing this research, I gained a greater appreciation for the source material.

It is not always an easy read, but Dick's intriguing prose and ideas about what constitutes godhood and spirituality, make for a memorable journey. Just be prepared to do some extra reading afterwards. 4/5

I started this yesterday morning, and have about 70 pages to go. It's brief, but juicy.

electricsheep.jpg

I'm really enjoying it so far. The movie (Blade Runner)does not come close to the level of detail and nuance in the writing.

Alucard

Banned
I devoured this over the course of two days. My mini-review is below.

n15861.jpg

What does it mean to be human? Philip K. Dick brilliantly extrapolates this question in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, focusing on our relationship with technology to answer a part of it. By exploring dual human storylines, Dick questions our own intelligence. Also, he insinuates that our growing reliance on technology is slowly morphing us into the very machines we rely upon and often look down upon. While these themes are staples of the science fiction genre, few writers could explore them with as much subtlety as Philip K. Dick.

As a result of World War Terminus, the inhabitants of earth have been encouraged to emigrate to Mars. As an incentive to leave the planet, the earth's governments offer a slave android for each human being, completely gratis. Those who remain on earth are exposed to radiation poisoning, and the gradual decomposition of their minds. Those who have been extremely affected by the genetic mutation are referred to as chickenheads. Life has gotten so difficult, that owning live animals is seen as a status symbol, and as a validation of a person's own humanity. The population also relies on mood altering machines called mood organs, to regulate their emotions. The prevailing religious belief, called Mercerism, is also linked to technology, and its prevailing ideology is one of perpetual suffering, leading to eventual redemption.

By contrasting the lives of bounty hunter Rick Deckard, and a chickenhead named John Isidore, Dick shows us that even those who are considered normally functioning humans, are no better in their daily lives than those who are considered less psychologically advanced. It is only the perception of our lives and our actions that distinguishes us from one another. Deckard and Isidore lead equally routine lives, but they view themselves differently.

The main contrast in the book is between humans and androids. As Deckard kills, or "retires," androids for his bounty, he begins to question his own humanity. Initially believing that empathy separates man from machine, Deckard begins to see that it is his own lack of empathy that allows him to do his job. When confronted with this revelation, Deckard hits on the crux of the narrative: are we truly superior empathic beings?

This is a wonderful novel, not only because of its many twists and surprises, but also because of its thoughtful and philosophical approach to the question of humanity. In our desire to be human, to assert our identities as empathic beings in a world filled with machines, do we run the risk of relying so heavily on technology, that we actually isolate ourselves from one another? More importantly, do we run the risk of isolating ourselves from ourselves? If you enjoy these kinds of cerebral questions, or if you're just up for a fast-paced sci-fi crime novel, this book should appeal to you. 4.5/5

Next up: Ubik, by Philip K. Dick. It's the last in the Four Novels of the 1960s collection that I'm reading by him. I'll definitely need a break from him when I get through this one.

Top Bottom