• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2011)

Tesseract

Banned
2001: a space odyssey

the humanization of hal and mechanization of bowman punches well alongside the movie. it's such a cold and unfeeling book. arthur c. clarke really loved science.

Quake1028

Mrbob said:
I just finished a Dance of Death, the third and final chapter in the Shadowlance trilogy:

51EjUet9SjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XFCGS6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

First book is a Dance of Cloaks:

51M%2BJbkAs1L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZUYP80/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Second book a Dance of Blades:

51P3syy%2BvAL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-46,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZUYP80/?tag=neogaf0e-20

A series by an indie author named David Dalglish. The books are a prequel about a character named The Watcher from his Half Orcs series (Not required to read first. I'm starting it now.). You see how The Watcher becomes the person he ends up being, and the trials and tribulations which lead to his current life. He says he has been influenced by GRRM and I definitely believe it. The books have a fast pace to them which I enjoy. Dalglish gets to the point and doesn't languish. The battle scenes he writes are some of the best I've ever read. Interesting political intrigue as well. Unexpected twists and turns you probably won't see coming. You can get the first book on kindle for $2.99, and if you enjoy any type of fantasy novels give the series a look.

I love you. And, I will even break my no quoting of images rule for this post, because Dalglish fucking rocks and deserves any readers he can get.

eznark

Banned
Jobs, Reamde

Kind of stuck on Jobs because he is an insufferable, irredeemable twat and kind of stuck on Reamde because I'm in the middle of a 1,000 page action sequence and it's a little old.

Helmholtz

Teh Hamburglar said:
Just finished the second game of Thrones book and it killed any momentum of interest i had in the series. It was just so painful to slog through because nothing happened, and the stuff that did happen was stuff that had already happened...just with different characters. And a lot of characters that were focused on just act so incredibly dumb.

GAF says Book 3 picks up the pace but I feel drained from the second. I may have to wait a little bit :(
The third book is arguably the best in the series so far, so yeah. The second book definitely dragged in some parts, but the build up to what goes down in the third book is so worth it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
eznark said:
I personally feel they get worse with every book.

I've heard a lot of horrible opinions about ASOIAF but if you really think ASOS isn't incredible then that's probably the worst of them all.

eznark

Banned
Emerson said:
I've heard a lot of horrible opinions about ASOIAF but if you really think ASOS isn't incredible then that's probably the worst of them all.

I would have called it uneven instead of bad were it not for the epilogue.

Either way I'm positive I will survive despite your low opinion of my opinion.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished -
2782553.jpg

Apart from some major pacing issues; i enjoyed the hell out of this, and can't wait for the next installment.
Now Reading -
220px-TheLeftHandOfDarkness.jpg

Around 80 pages read so far; and it has been really wonderful, a beautiful prose and incredible world-building.

wrowa

I've finished Game of Thrones last week, and started Clash of Kings immediately afterwards.

9780553381696.jpg

I'm roughly 250 pages into the book, and I'm feeling that I grow tired of it a bit. That might be because I haven't read anything else during the last weeks, or it might be actually dragging a bit.

Problem is, I still can't read anything else. I'm too attached to the characters and the world to lay the book aside.

Kuraudo

Banned
Milchjon said:
Still working through Infinite Jest. My usual pace is about one book per week, and I've only managed half of this book in about a month... Still, it's fascinating, funny and pretty different from most of what I've read.

It warms my heart every time I see someone mention reading Infinite Jest. Probably my favourite book.

kinn

Oozinator said:
Almost finished reading it, I'm not considering this book the holy bible for picking up women but it does provide some eye-opener tips on social interaction scattered throughout an entertaining story.

7hMs9.jpg

Just finished this also. Great read.

adam.chance

Neo Member
Just finished "1984" and "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." It was my first time reading both books. I really enjoyed "1984." I thought the pacing was really good and the
Winston and O'Brien
character dynamic was really well done. "Hitchhiker's Guide" fell flat for me. I thought some parts were hilarious, but found other parts dull. I may have gone in with high expectations, which is never a good thing to do. My biggest problem was the lack of depth I felt from the characters and the story. I will try to read the other books at some point.

Last night, I started "Brave New World." I am only one chapter in, but I think I will like it. Just from this first chapter it seems as though Huxley has more of a direct (less prose-y, more straightforward) writing style than Orwell. I am not sure what my plans are after "Brave New World." I may continue working my way down the NPR list of sci-fi fantasy books I haven't read, which would make "American Gods" next.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Finished leviathans Wake. Started very slow, and i actually was close to putting it down. But it eventually got good. I hope Daniel Abraham writes fast, I'm waiting for sequels on two of his books now.

Reviews in the NYT and Guardian for the new Stephen King are glowing. Can't wait for that.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Guileless said:
Finished leviathans Wake. Started very slow, and i actually was close to putting it down. But it eventually got good. I hope Daniel Abraham writes fast, I'm waiting for sequels on two of his books now.

Reviews in the NYT and Guardian for the new Stephen King are glowing. Can't wait for that.

Both sequels (Caliban's War and The King's Blood) are finished and with Abraham's editor(s). He's at work on the third volume in each series.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
PhoenixSFT said:
1znv5tg.jpg

it's solid, but there's a lot of unnecessary explanation. Still, I'm really enjoying it and will definitely pick up the second book.
Just passed by that and the sequel at a Half Price Books today; took a pic to remind myself to look them up and decide if I wanted to come back for them.

Monroeski said:
Just passed by that and the sequel at a Half Price Books today; took a pic to remind myself to look them up and decide if I wanted to come back for them.

The basic premise is that a viral infection killed and reanimated billions of people around 2010ish. There are many surviving pockets of people around the US, enough so that they still elect a President, still live in homes, etc., but many things are quarantined. For example, animals over 80lbs. or so can get the virus, so you can have zombie St. Bernards and horses.

The 2 main characters are bloggers, who first spoke out about the virus when regular news media was like "pppht, it'll blow over like bird flu". So now, bloggers are the most respected source for news in a disjointed world, and they make their money on ratings, reports, etc.

The 2 main characters follow a presidential candidate and slowly uncover a conspiracy. It's pretty good, but like I said the author kinda has characters over-explain certain points at times, where it's almost infodump-y. There are some really good twists though.

maomaoIYP

adam.chance said:
Just finished "1984" and "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." It was my first time reading both books. I really enjoyed "1984." I thought the pacing was really good and the
Winston and O'Brien
character dynamic was really well done. "Hitchhiker's Guide" fell flat for me. I thought some parts were hilarious, but found other parts dull. I may have gone in with high expectations, which is never a good thing to do. My biggest problem was the lack of depth I felt from the characters and the story. I will try to read the other books at some point.

Last night, I started "Brave New World." I am only one chapter in, but I think I will like it. Just from this first chapter it seems as though Huxley has more of a direct (less prose-y, more straightforward) writing style than Orwell. I am not sure what my plans are after "Brave New World." I may continue working my way down the NPR list of sci-fi fantasy books I haven't read, which would make "American Gods" next.

1984, Brave New World and American Gods are some of my favourite books.

I'm reading this now while I patiently wait for a softcover edition of 1Q84:
51fS5vrBjZL._SS500_.jpg

I recently finished this, I didn't like it as much as I liked Super Sad True Love Story.
210817.jpg

Qasiel

51bxsN5xfFL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Just over 100 pages in now and I'm still finding it hard to put down. This is a great series, and I have you to thank for it, Gaf.

Dresden

Nearly done with Wolf Hall. Enjoyed it, didn't love it.
Lafiel said:
Now Reading -

Around 80 pages read so far; and it has been really wonderful, a beautiful prose and incredible world-building.
Wonderful novel, probably my favorite out of all that Le Guin has done.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Lafiel said:

The amount of memorable passages this book has provided me and the impact it's had on my thinking over the years - I can't even fathom. One that just crossed my mind at around where you left off:

p. 71 said:
"The unknown," said Faxe's soft voice in the forest, "the unforetold, the unproven, that is what life is based on. Ignorance is the ground of thought. Unproof is the ground of action. If it were proven that there is no God there would be no religion. No Handdara, no Yomesh, no hearthgods, nothing. But also if it were proven that there is a God, there would be no religion. ... Tell me, Genry, what is known? What is sure, unpredictable, inevitable -- the one certain thing you know concerning your future, and mine?"

"That we shall die."

"Yes, There's really only one question that can be answered, Genry, and we already know the answer. ... The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty: not knowing what comes next."

Zeppelin

9113035762.jpg

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I've had this book in my shelf for a couple of years now but haven't been in the right mood until now. I'm not that far in yet but I honestly doubt I'll find it anything short of spectacular.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Speaking of Le Guin, I just finished The Wild Girls (Outspoken Authors):

4864038.jpg

This short volume (about 100 pages) provides a sampler of Le Guin’s works, comprising a short story, a collection of poems, two essays, and an interview.

The titled short story is tragic and haunting, portraying a fantastical, yet realistic depiction of ordinary living within the complex dynamics of oppression. The poems are short and powerful. Her two essays are well thought out and full of great quotes; Staying Awake While We Read is a excellent rant on the evils of corporate publishing. But by far the gem of the book has to be the Conversation of the Modest in which she writes about what it means to be modest (and not humble); its message on reclaiming modesty as a desirable quality spoke deepest and clearest to me.

Finally, the interview is full of light-hearted and witty banter. In conversation she comes across as both insightful and silly. A wise old dorky sage; I love it.

Overall: A very good volume in which the short length is a strength, not a detriment. Provides a great sample of her writing style and thinking in a bite sized format. As always, Le Guin’s written words are chosen with care, as are the things left unsaid. There’s a lot to like here.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
BorkBork said:
The amount of memorable passages this book has provided me and the impact it's had on my thinking over the years - I can't even fathom. One that just crossed my mind at around where you left off:
Interestingly enough when i read that particular passage last night i was in complete awe, it changed my opinion from "this is pretty good" to "this is amazing"

braves01

Banned
Working through 1Q84. I'm on about chapter 12 of book 2. It's my first Murakami, and so far it's made a very, uh, interesting first impression.

maomaoIYP

Zeppelin said:
9113035762.jpg

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I've had this book in my shelf for a couple of years now but haven't been in the right mood until now. I'm not that far in yet but I honestly doubt I'll find it anything short of spectacular.

I finished it earlier this year. It has its ups and downs.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Mt2v2.jpg

Glen david Gold

I'll read just about anything about magicians. This one is pretty good. About half way through. Houdini makes a few appearances.

Next up is

36BXP.jpg

because the last 2 were bad ass.

Fjordson

No idea what I'm going to read next. I feel like I need some good fantasy to coincide with Skyrim coming out.

Just finished Retribution Falls. Really fun, sort of steampunk, adventure. Not revolutionary, but a great read.

way more

catfish said:
Mt2v2.jpg

Glen david Gold

I'll read just about anything about magicians. This one is pretty good. About half way through. Houdini makes a few appearances.

One of my favorite's. The Houdini moments are fantastic and entire story seems to reflect his philosophy of scientific thinking and embracing technology and showmanship.

Oozinator said:
Almost finished reading it, I'm not considering this book the holy bible for picking up women but it does provide some eye-opener tips on social interaction scattered throughout an entertaining story.

7hMs9.jpg

One of the worst I've ever read. Basically the author/main character is a dullard and starfucker.

thomaser

Still 250 pages to go in Pynchon's Against the Day. Haven't even opened it the last month, since I've been so busy (but I have read Beckett's "Krapp's Last Tape" and parts of Shakespeare's "Hamlet" in the meantime for school, now about to start Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream"). I've spent three-and-a-half months on AtD so far. The only book I have ever spent more time reading was the Bible, which took me a little over 8 months.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
mac said:
One of the worst I've ever read. Basically the author/main character is a dullard and starfucker.
The first half of the book was....decent, sort of...for what it was. I knew what I was getting into. But the second half devolves into an overly long episode of The Real World. Really bad stuff, and Strauss is a lousy writer. It really is maybe the worst book I've ever finished.

Seanspeed

Banned
_Isaac said:
I am currently reading A Clash of Kings. This isn't exactly reassuring. :/
If you didn't thoroughly enjoy Game of Thrones, then quit the series and dont waste your time. It gets better with CoK and Storm of Swords, but its still the same series and the same style.

I'm reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds right now. Started out slow and I had no idea what was going on, but the more they drip-feed you info about everything, the crazier its getting. Really liking it now.

ddke2s.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Re-reading the Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. The first book is really slow... in retrospect, having read the whole trilogy. Things speed up a lot later on IIRC. I think i like the original Commonwealth Saga better, the futuristic world in the Void Trilogy is interesting but... dunno how to say it. It is good trilogy though, science fiction with fantasy mixed in.

Also reading Starcraft: Heaven's Devils and I, Mengsk but just started, no opinion yet.

Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson (iBooks) - Almost halfway through. Its a long book (which is a good thing)and its so good.

Death Whispers by Tamara Rose Blodgett (Kindle) - A great book where kids now have paranormal abilities thanks to science. Takes place in the near future (I think either 2025 or 2035...forgot) its a really good book imo. And its free on Kindle.

Also just got a Nook Touch on the 25th(tho currently not reading on it) that makes 3 Book services that I read on. Nook, Kindle, and iBooks. lol.

Maffis

I recently finished the ASOIAF series, and am now looking for other fantasy books. I've head that the First Law trilogy is quite excellent so I think I'll start with them.
21XiP.jpg

Woorloog said:
Re-reading the Void Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton. The first book is really slow... in retrospect, having read the whole trilogy. Things speed up a lot later on IIRC. I think i like the original Commonwealth Saga better, the futuristic world in the Void Trilogy is interesting but... dunno how to say it. It is good trilogy though, science fiction with fantasy mixed in.

This is encouraging. Picked up the first book on a whim and couldn't get into it so I moved on to something else. Will try giving it a fair shake once exams are over.

Woorloog

Banned
Doncamatic said:
This is encouraging. Picked up the first book on a whim and couldn't get into it so I moved on to something else. Will try giving it a fair shake once exams are over.
IIRC, the second book is somewhat faster and the third book moves at really fast pace. But i'm not 100% sure, i will write here once i finish them.

Just got done with:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Really liked it! It got me excited about the fictional baseball games even though I don't like watching them in real life, but it's definitely not "about baseball" despite the cover. More about people around a college and their various problems. It has a lot of heart.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Here's basically all of October since I didn't post in that thread -

1y955k.jpg

Good enough. What you'd expect from the series. Pretty enjoyable, nothing to write home about.

fedidy.jpg

Ditto.

1433w95.jpg

Would have been better if the main character wasn't superman and the references were more about being clever than about cramming as many 80s lists in as possible.

2a4pfet.jpg

Very good. Not quite as good and polished as World War Z but still very good.

207ug4w.jpg

Enjoyable writing as always, though it's hard to recommend without it having come to any kind of ending resolution at all. I liked it, but I can see how other people wouldn't.

2rpu3pc.jpg

OMG AWESOME

As for now, I've been reading this -

2posbv5.jpg

Halfway through and it's been pretty good.

Monroeski said:
Here's basically all of October since I didn't post in that thread -

READY PLAYER ONE COVER
Would have been better if the main character wasn't superman and the references were more about being clever than about cramming as many 80s lists in as possible.

As for now, I've been reading this -

HOUSE OF LEAVES COVER
Halfway through and it's been pretty good.

Yeah I felt the same about Ready Player One. I'm glad someone wrote that book and it was fun while I was reading it, but it did feel very dumbed down. Like if someone wore a shirt with a 1up mushroom on it but also had the explanation of what it was below the picture.

Do find House of Leaves scary at all? I didn't think so while reading it, but it did give me trippy dreams because I would read it before bed.

Well I finished "Gravity's Rainbow" yup there's so much I want to say, and yet I don't think anything I say would even begin to do my thoughts justice. This book kicked my ass, and yet it was such an enjoyable experience, one in which I will gladly repeat. Just as soon as I get through these mountain ranges of books I have.

Next up: Got to finish "American Gods"

After that its back to the world of Haruki Murakami with "A Wild Sheep Chase" and "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle"

And then just b/c I'm insane, I'm going to tackle "Ulysses" from James Joyce. My goal is to have it finished by Bloomsday of next year. Can I do it? Well we'll see.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Posted this in the Book Club thread, but thought it was just as relevant to this one:

Just finished reading Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, and it is without doubt one of the finest novels I've ever read. I foresee the imagery remaining with me for a long time to come.

The ending in particular, with its varying interpretations, none more intriguing than the
rape of the Kid at the hands of the Judge
, will also keep me thinking about the book for a long time to come. I shuddered at the image of the book's very final moments. Just terrifying.

Man, I don't know to say... the impression the book has left on me is unlike any other I've read in a long time. The prose, the language, the style, the imagery, the characters (especially the Judge, who is one of the most frightening I've encountered in literature), the violence, the darkness, the depravity, the similes, the allusions to God and Satan and other kinds of religious notions all come together to paint one of the most vivid stories ever told.

I'm not even sure if I want to continue with another book anytime soon. :p

Top Bottom