• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (November 2011)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
demon said:
Never read any Lem but I've had The Futurological Congress sitting on my bookshelf for months. It's a short book but it sounds like a lot of his stuff is pretty dense and not a fast read. Is this generally true?

Dense is a good word to use for a lot of his books, yes. I haven't read Futurological, so I can't say anything that. I personally think that the Cyberiad is the funniest and most accessible book of his. Solaris is not too bad either, and that's also a classic and a good place to start.

Arment

Deathgate_theseventhgate_cover.jpg

The final book.

Zinga

Banned
51vWFoLX%2BEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Started reading this, fascinating read! travelling to China next month for 3 weeks so thought I would read this before my stay in Beijing.

Mumei

I read a copy of Dostoevsky's The Grand Inquisitor which is a selection of chapters from The Brothers Karamazov (which I have not read) and an extended reply by Dostoevsky entitled "The Russian Monk," as well as an essay 'reflecting the subtlety and power of Dostoevsky's critique of modernity and his alternative vision of human community.'

Not really my thing, though I can tell from the chapters from The Brothers Karamazov that I will enjoy that when I read it.

After that I read:

Ya86r.jpg

The Robots of Dawn is the third Asimov book I have read (after The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun). I am not sure how I feel about the plot element of
psychic robots
. It's not so much about it becoming less hard science fiction as it is about what I saw as generally unsettlingly paternalistic behavior from the robots, and seeing that as taking it to an even more unsettling direction
where Giskard was making judgments about what thoughts the humans were allowed to have

I liked the robot stories, even though they sort of creeped me out.

Today I am reading:

VFeR3.jpg

A Dirge for Prester John is a planned trilogy of books based around the concept that the original letter from Prester John in 1165 wasn't simply a hoax but reality. In the first book, the Habitation of the Blessed, the frame story is that a monk named Brother Hiob who is in the Himalayas in 1699 with his brothers on missionary work comes across a tree whose branches grow books instead of trees. Hiob begins the work of translating three books, working sections at a time as the books are beginning to rot (they are fruit after all), as he follows three narratives about the Kingdom of Prester John - one written from John's perspective when he first came to Pentexore, one from the perspective of the nanny to the Royal Family, and one from the perspective of Hagia, John's future wife amongst the inhabitants of Pentexore.

The second book, The Folded World has a similar structure, but follows a younger Hagia, a lion-philosopher taking care of John and Hagia's deformed daughter (who graces the front cover), and another John (John Mandeville) who discovers the land of Pentexore on his travels.

It's a really wonderful series so far that I find really easy to get lost in.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Mumei said:
Ya86r.jpg

The Robots of Dawn is the third Asimov book I have read (after The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun). I am not sure how I feel about the plot element of
psychic robots
. It's not so much about it becoming less hard science fiction as it is about what I saw as generally unsettlingly paternalistic behavior from the robots, and seeing that as taking it to an even more unsettling direction
where Giskard was making judgments about what thoughts the humans were allowed to have

I liked the robot stories, even though they sort of creeped me out.

I'm fully aware that Asimov is a highly respected writer but that cover is horrible. It looks like a robot romance book or some shit.

And again I haven't read this book but the title is pretty bad too.

Piecake

Emerson said:
I'm fully aware that Asimov is a highly respected writer but that cover is horrible. It looks like a robot romance book or some shit.

I first read it as The Romance of Dawn, saw the picture, and thought the book was a creepy Han Solo - CP30 love story

Mumei

Emerson said:

The title is fine, but yes, the cover is hilariously bad.

ultron87

Finished up The Hero of Ages, the third book in the Mistborn series.

Hero+of+Ages.jpg

I really enjoyed it. Made slogging through some of the duller sections in the second book worth it.

-Having Vin's earring be a tiny spike for Ruin to use to influence her, as well as the reason she could pierce copper clouds was a fantastic piece of foresight. I was glad Marsh got to redeem himself by removing it, as well.
-Sazed turning out to be the actual "Hero of Ages" was a nice surprise.

I'm quite excited for The Alloy of Law next week, since it will presumably
deal with the new status quo of the world, though several hundred years in the future.

Don't know if I'll jump right into that or if I'll go read another of the Culture books or something from that best Sci-Fi books thread that I haven't read. Maybe Strange in a Strange Land.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
ultron87 said:
I'm quite excited for The Alloy of Law next week, since it will presumably
deal with the new status quo of the world, though several hundred years in the future.

Don't get your hopes up. It doesn't really do this, at all.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Tried the kindle sample of 1Q84 and it wasn't really doing anything for me.

Decided to read something simple, quick, and cheap, so I wound up buying this 3 dolalr kindle single:

evilcover.jpg

It's kinda "meh" so far, but interesting enough to make it worth finishing.

PhoenixSFT said:
I have a paper copy of Windup Girl, but couldn't really get into it. I just did not give a fuck about what genes were used to create the fruit the MC is talking about in the beginning.

Yea, I've only read the first chapter so far, and I've spent most of the time trying to figure out exactly what it is the MC does. The first chapter finished with some action, which kept me intrigued to read on, I just didn't have time this weekend.

Venfayth

doyle-a-study-in-scarlet-bookcover.jpg

I just started a study in scarlet after picking up the four holmes novels, I'm pretty excited :)

The_Brothers_-Karamazov-1.jpg

Also, I got The Brothers Karamazov, should be another good read.

Mumei

I finished The Folded World (loved it, more of you need to read Valente) and now it is on to:

104086.jpg

I only read the first chapter last night. Pretty good so far.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Manics said:
All set to tackle this bad boy starting tomorrow:

200px-11-22-63.jpg
really really looking forward to this, love stephen king

Dresden

Mumei said:
I finished The Folded World (loved it, more of you need to read Valente) and now it is on to:

104086.jpg

I only read the first chapter last night. Pretty good so far.
I remember this. I thought it got worse as it went, typical of Kay's work. Curious to see how you feel about it.

Dresden

Mumei said:
This book in particular or the trilogy?
The trilogy. I don't think I ever finished the third book, so I don't know, maybe it ended well.
AngmarsKing701 said:
Interesting take. I love Kay's work. The only one I was meh about was Ysabel.
I finished Under Heaven recently and after finishing it I made the decision to never bother with Kay again. :( Such a disappointment considering the book's wonderful start.

Mumei

Dresden said:
The trilogy. I don't think I ever finished the third book, so I don't know, maybe it ended well.

I finished Under Heaven recently and after finishing it I made the decision to never bother with Kay again. :( Such a disappointment considering the book's wonderful start.

Well, we shall see. I am about 3/5 of the way through it now and I am enjoying it. There's bits and pieces here and there that remind me of Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising Sequence.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Dresden said:

I'd be curious to hear you expand on this. I adored Under Heaven.

Dresden

aidan said:
I'd be curious to hear you expand on this. I adored Under Heaven.
Just found the last one hundred pages or so to be utterly disappointing. Felt like all the setup of the prior pages came undone and the careful focus on Tai and the world around him disappeared, only to be replaced
by a conflict I couldn't care about, whose main purpose seemed to be to resolve this political situation developing between Tai and his brother's master without actually delving into politics.
Gone were the deliberate conversations and the fantastic wuxia-laden world; an abrupt, hastily told war story replaced it instead, and overall the story suffered for it.

Mumei

I finished The Summer Tree. I rather enjoyed it, so I'm hoping you are wrong about this, Dresden!

And now:

104088.jpg

I really like the recap that it has at the start of the book just to make sure you're properly oriented when starting.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Finished

18423.jpg

Loved it, one aspect that really blew me away apart from the world-building, the writing, the atmosphere etc is how well-done and poignant the
Estraven / Genly relationship
was.

Now Reading

4981.jpg

My first Vonnegut and I'm loving it (86 pages in) it's simplistic writing style also makes it very easy to read through.

Just finished

GCsjA.jpg

Highly recommend it. Worthy of the Booker. Short, and very readable. You can read it in a sitting or two.

Only one chapter in, but I'm reading
JfQpt.jpg

I might read that The Postmortal book. Looks interesting. I want to start ASOIAF but I don't think I can bother to read the whole series. I might go read some Jim Crace or some of the Ian McEwan stuff I missed. Or maybe something from the 19th century, not sure yet.

Mumei

Lafiel said:
Finished

18423.jpg

Loved it, one aspect that really blew me away apart from the world-building, the writing, the atmosphere etc is how well-done and poignant the
Estraven / Genly relationship
was.

Loved that.

And I thought that the world-building, the writing, and the atmosphere were the best parts, though I was less enamored by the plot itself. I didn't dislike it by any means, but I found myself more interested when I was learning about the planet and the societies of its inhabitants than when I was being told what was happening in the present.

Has anyone read the Kindle Deal of the Day book? Or read anything from the author? The premise sounds like something I'd like but the cover reminds me of one of those Amish romance novels you see at a Walmart check out line (well here in PA anyway).

Kindle Deal - Unquiet Bones by Mel Starr

W1SSY

Just finished A Feast for Crows and now I need to decide if I want to continue ASoIaF or take a break and read something else.

thomaser

Not reading this, but I just got it in the post today. Isn't it beautiful? It's the limited Foyles edition with red page lining.

n4z1vr.jpg

My backlog is so large that I won't get to this until next summer at the earliest. It can look cool in my bookself in the mean time.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Got a handful of new books recently that I plan on reading soon. This is the latest one and it might be my next:

bb8bC.jpg

Almost done with I Have Seen the World Begin, and just started this, which should take me a day or so, or at least several short sittings (it's very short):

SQlmF.png

Top Bottom